RIDForever.info Discussion Thread - All Things RID in Here!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Tony_Bacala, Dec 15, 2011.

1. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    Happy birthday, RiD!

Now...where's my Selects Brave Max?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Leolim

Leolim Well-Known Member

I'm still waiting for a official explanation of why the CR transformers aren't downsized as well why the Cybertrons are using g1 symbols.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Black Convoy

Black Convoy Proudly Peruvian Transfan Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Happy birthday to the collection that defined me as a collector and got me into the best TF site in the world and beyond!

OK, I got a free hour here, so here's something fast from the heart....

20 years ago.... living in South America, and in Peru in those years was kind of hard for a collector. While Beast Wars and Beast Machines toys were popular, distribution was limited to the few toystores we still had back in the day. The bigger toys were found only at the bigger malls for very expensive prices. Transformers toys were not so easy to buy.

Peru was starting to enter to the internet.... dial-up connection was the main way to go online with all the limitations of the technology. No smartphones, so the best way to surf the internet was to rent a PC at a public internet cabinet. I remember surfing anipike, using Altavista, and I remember a blue site that got mi attention in one of my first "Transformers" searches.

2005 Boards was the very first international board I registered originally as Neo-Bombshell. We knew Car Robot was coming... and this site offered us Japanese episodes every week!!!! And in good quality! Yes... that was great quality for my standards those days. Downloading 5 megas in one or two hours was something I got accustomed to, but the wait was worth the time. I still remember when I saw the CGI opening... listening to that amazing opening song... the feeling of excitement, happiness and real joy you recognize from time to time. I saw a two-head dragon and I knew I had to buy that!

As an old-timer anime (specially mecha anime) fan, I really loved the tone of the series. It had all the things that make anime enjoyable: comedy, shouting you powers, transformation sequences, ridiculous episodes, action, stereotyped characters, and epic battles and a grand finale. I used to watch the episodes several times over the day to try to catch some phrases. Sweet old times when anime fans enjoyed raw videos.

The series was dubbed into Spanish and renamed as "Transformers Nueva Generación" (Transformers New Generation) with one of the worst dub works ever and with very poor humor adaptation. It was no surprise local fans hated the series with the classic "G1 was not like this" complain specially for non anime fans. Boards were full of rage and negativity.... until the day toys hit the stores.

By the time, RID (as curious thing, this is the was we refer to the series until today, even after the Spanish dub) toy hit Peru, toystores were dead for sure in the market. Economy had changed, now big supermarkets and more malls were over Lima (capital of Peru) and many independent small toy stores were open in the center of the city. Collecting was still something for nerds, not cool as is it today.

RID brought a revival of Transformers toys at retail stores. The toys were available everywhere, not only in big malls but even in the small and informal stores. Prices were good, and the same fans who hated the series became the first ones to buy the toys due to the excitement of finding vehicle Transformers everywhere. We got overstocked to the Predacon 3-pack and Sky-Byte to the point you could find them for less than $10. Being a relatively small collection, fans got into the completist wave, and hunting toys became common.

The first Car Robot toys were hard to import by that time. It took me like 3 months to receive my Gigatron at home, considering the time banks processed payments those years when credit cards were a luxury. Ebay was accesible mainly via payment by money orders. The RID fever got into the right moment, since e-commerce started their first steps. I devoted my obsessive personality for data and trivia to register and share all the differences between Car Robot and RID toys over our forums. All the accurate information found here thanks to all 2005 Board members.

I decided to keep my collection with Takara released when possible, but RID was the starting point of a more active Transformers collectors community, not only focused in G1 cartoon as it was before. The day fans found RID Combaticons at Metro Supermarkets was like finding a treasure in a lost Island. You could see groups of adults hunting toys instead of groceries.

The first independent collecting stores were finally opening aside anime stores (which were already popular). Thanks to RID, a group of friends and me decided to open a small toy store in a well-known shopping center (Arenales Plaza, known today as the "Otaku Land"). Of course our main and first product were RID toys. We focused on importing Takara releases and toys that were not available here. The star of our first year was RID Scourge, which we were able to get thanks to several member of 2005 Boards like @Shin-Gouki who took time and effort to buy them and then ship them to Peru. This was the way I met most of my collector friends here, and it was one of the steps to form Transformers Peru community too.

RID also brought Scourge, the very definition of a repaint well done. I was so captivated by the idea of an evil prime, the design, the colors (black has always been my favorite color... in fact I don't usually wear anything but black clothes), the character. I reluctantly registered on Facebook, and to keep some privacy I decided to register as "Black Convoy". I used that nick for years, even at boards, MSN messenger and all place where I had to register. I didn't notice it, but my friends started to call me Black Convoy or "Black" for short... something convenient when people NEVER remember your real compound name (I am Jose Antonio, but people usually mix my name). Time passed, and even today... Black Convoy is my internet personality and the way my local and Latin America community recognizes me.

RID meant a lot for me and my community, as well as TFW2005. I can't believe this series is as old as my son now. 20 years, a lot of hair lost, many toys bought, but RID is still the series that made me feel as if I got a new toy when I was a kid. While I had to sell my collection once due to some personal problems, but I kept Gigatron being the first toy I bought, then I slowly recovered it back, being blessed with an Encore God Fire Convoy reissue with no QC issues.

Thanks for the ride... GO BOY, CONVOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now and forever!

Of note, it took me some time to realize the opening singer was Kōji Wada, the famous and loved Japanese singer, well remembered for performing the main Digimon themes in Japan. Sadly he passed away some years ago but he left a great memory for Car Robot fans.

• Like Like x 7
  4. WolverineDragon

WolverineDragon Brother Lombax

Damn 20 years since RiD aired? Don’t you feel old yet?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Black Convoy

Black Convoy Proudly Peruvian Transfan Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    I would say this is the proof things were made with better materials in the past. :music 

• Like Like x 1
  6. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away

RID2000 was the first TF series I saw after discovering the online TF community on ATT (I went by the screen names Delserik and Smokescreen on there, for any follow ATTers). I remember everyone on there was really excited about a return to vehicular TFs. Of course, at the time the widely circulated rumor was that it would be called Transformers 2000, which turned out to be way off.

However, at the time we weren’t sure the toys would be brought to the US. So many people, including myself, took to purchasing the Japanese Car Robots toys just in case we never saw them here. As a result, many of my RID toys are the CR releases, including Prime, Magnus, the trains, Scourge, etc. My favorite overall RID toy is probably Mach Alert/Prowl.

I just figured out how to watch YouTube on our TV, so I’m hoping to show the toon to my kids soon. I think they’ll really like it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. captain N

captain N Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love this series. 20 Years & still no dvd set. A Lot of Fox Kids Shows have complete series dvd sets. Like Godzilla Batman VR Troopers Power Rangers X-Men Big Guy & Rusty the Boy Robot Ninja Turtles Beast Wars & Beast Minchins. All of Fox Kids All have dvd sets. It's time for RID's dvd set.

• Like Like x 1
  8. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Not all Cybretrons and Destrons downsized, as evidenced by BW2 and BWNeo. As for the symbols, the Maximal and Predacon symbols are used for beasts in their respective factions. The Destrongers were beasts, primarily, so they wore Predacon symbols while the Cybertrons wore Autobot symbols, since they were vehicles. Scourge was a clone of Optimus and used an upside down G2 Autobot symbol for his group to show he was his own faction of Destroys and also to show his spite at Optimus, since it's basically Optimus's face.

None of that from Car Robots really translates well to RiD. It's far easier to think of it as an alternate future for G1.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    Like many, Car Robots got me back into collecting. I still remember how amazed I was with the transformation of Mach Alert when I finally got him in hand. Paypal was just becoming a thing (they gave you $5 just for signing up) and Mach Alert was my first purchase with Paypal. One of my buddies in college had Fire Convoy (in the window box) and I was just enamored with the combined mode. To this day it's the only toy line where I purposely collected both the US and Japanese toy lines. I think the only one's I'm missing from the Japanese line are the Clear Car Brother's Giftset and some of the jusco (sp) clear spy changers.

I am in the process of redoing my entire collection display. Next to G1, these will have the most prominent display.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I love this show and this toyline so very much. It stands next to G1, Masterpiece, and Alternators/Binaltech as what I view as "core" to my collection. The show is so much fun, and I love the animation of it. This show also marked a beginning for me as well, much like @Tony_Bacala as I was just getting back into TFs (started in December of 1999). It was the first mainline since G1 that I loved. The show propelled me into this place here, and I'm still here today.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Leolim

Leolim Well-Known Member

so Megastorm, Starscream, BB, Thrust and Dirge( even thought they get beast modes later on) and the Autorollers (even though they are hired Mercenaries) use Vehicle mode with beast symbols and i tend to forget about size changer that was use on Gigastorm.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
  12. Chainlink

Chainlink No real than you are

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Happy birthday RID!

Can we get some Generations figures now?

• Like Like x 2
  13. e prime

e prime Chosen by the matrix

Wow 20 years and I can still remember it like yesterday. Loved the show and the toys even more. Happy 20th RID

• Like Like x 1
  14. Gumblor Gimbles

Gumblor Gimbles Norn' Ironhide

News Credits:
    happy 20th birthday to my first transformers show!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Furnace

Furnace Ant-droid at a picnic

Happy 20th, RID! It's always great to see this series get recognition!

16. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    They were being led by Galvatron, who had a beast mode. Galvatron wouldn't be the sole Predacon among the group so they apparently kept it consistent that the rest of the group would follow their leader.

17. dragon

dragon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Happy birthday it’s my top five favorite non g1 series out there it’s nice have change from g1 not sure if I could watch more seasons of g1 if it was made annoying human characters humans on cybertron not wearing space suits to breath grimlock wear apron power glide ride wooden horse and it don’t break under his weight alien autobot hound need air mask save drowning spike but hound can breath out in space , Daniel looking for ultra magnus father for his birthday that’s episode I be happy not include in series

18. InstantClazzic

InstantClazzic Well-Known Member

ruinations original toy was just g1 bruticus in a different color. that’s why I didn’t mention them because they’ve been updated already. I knew about the TT repaints but I also don’t think CW combiners are all that great either.
    The problem is them having to be quad changers. If their limb modes were just set to a designated arm or leg they’d be way better off. The only team I have is the g2 repainted superion and that figure is a mess.

19. A Good Noodle

A Good Noodle “We’re werewolves, not swear-wolves”

Happy birthday RID!!

The show was really fun and I always liked it's logo. I think it's my favorite TF logo besides Beast Wars.

Someone NEEDS to let Disney know they have the rights to the series and this needs a new HD release.

Seriously can someone mail them a letter? :p 

• Like Like x 1
  20. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Happy 20th anniversary to the series that gave rise to my favourite Decepticon

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5