Rider Kick Appreciation

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Hate-triot, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Malunis_T

Malunis_T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've noticed when OOO was going on that they usually do only have the HD version up for a while. I guess it takes a while to convert it to a smaller file size, understandably.

2. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    hmm...it just seems like SD DDL is out in less time for gokaiger compare to HD DDL for gokaiger compared to fourze it seems, though i know it is two seperate teams doing them.

guess something i got to get use to i guess

3. Malunis_T

News Credits:
    There's definitely multiple people doing different things so I wouldn't be surprised if that includes uploading different shows. Random thing; Their subtitles for the Time Judged All music video has two different subtitle tracks because two of their translators decided to do the music video translation without mentioning it to each other. XD

Speaking of? The music videos for OOO are pretty fun to watch. Time Judged All is a sweet duet of Ankh and Eiji arguing over their motives, while Reverse/Re:Birth has Date and Gotou singing to each other (at least going by Overtime's version) with some pretty awesome background dancers in tophats. And the one for Anything Goes (on YT, dunno if Overtime subbed it) has OOO VS Uva for some reason. Random fight scenes in music videos are rad.

4. galvatron23

galvatron23 Well-Known Member

yesss hehehehe the figure is enjoyable i really like it.

5. guard convoy

News Credits:
    just finished the first episode of fourze, damn this is gonna be a fun ride, i loved that first episode, gen-chan (can't remember how to spell his full name) is frickin awesome.

now i look forward for my switch #5 to get here to play with it while watching, i need the belt now :lol 

6. Malunis_T

News Credits:
    You mean Genny~ Overtime subs ftw XD

I gotta say, I really like the translations Overtime does. They're very, well, loose with how they word things, which I like. It still gets the point across but in a way, adds more character. Like when Gentaro talks to Kengo and says "We're gonna be bros." If this means Gentaro's gonna talk like Date, I am gonna love it.

Hopefully this doesn't start a heated argument over who subs things better. XD; I respect TV Nihon-tachi, they know how to stylize subs and make it look fancy, but as of late I've been leaning towards Overtime, KITsubs and other such groups more.

(Speaking of which, KITsubs released more net movies I see~ <downloads>)

7. guard convoy

News Credits:
    that's right Gentaro :lol  he's gonna be such a fun character

he makes me wished i had black hair so i could cosplay him :lol 

8. mIIk

mIIk Member

Ugh. On the other hand, I hate the fact that Over-Time apparently loves to change character's names like that.

It's not how I prefer it, but I can understand why they drop honorifics, and translate everything, including "henshin." But every time I saw "Brotou" or "Ankhy" in their OOO subs it drove me nuts. I don't think I can stand a year of "Genny". It seriously bothers me that much, that I'll probably end up waiting the week it takes TV-N from now on.

I say that now, but I'll probably be too impatient and watch their subs anyway. Oh well.

9. Malunis_T

News Credits:
    The Brotou thing kinda felt like an inside joke. I can understand how that doesn't work for everyone, but it isn't such a big deal to me, in the end I just like being able to tell what's going on. :p 

On the subject of TV-N's antics, I've been told their subs for Blade are apparently really, really bad and half the lines are just made up. I was linked a group who's currently in the single-digits trying to update that sub, but anyone know of another group who might be doing it?

10. night-skyward

night-skyward Collects animated, mainly

So i've just watched the first episode of fourze...

i think im going to really like this series =D definitely the best first episode i've seen of a rider show. I really liked OOO for the fact that eiji didn't have a clue what he was doing at first and gen was the same in this, so that was a plus for me.

The 3 main characters so far all seem pretty likable, Gen is the proper hero type, outgoing, brave, kind and bad ass. Kengo reminds me a lot of Yuto at the moment, it'll be nice to see him open up as the series goes on. To be honest all of the cast seems cool,and there's a lot of potential for some character development and some interesting interactions.

If it keeps up this could very well be my favourite rider series so far =)

11. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

My turn, my turn!
    Fourze had a wonderful, dare I say it, liftoff. Everything about the atmosphere was perfect. I could really relate to it as a high school student, but it still managed to be incredibly fun. I liked that they didn't have Yuuki (who was the most adorable thing ever) explain every single part of the belt, but rather have Gentarou figure it out through his own impulsiveness. I also found the sound mixing to be somewhat lacking, but that dragged down the experience significantly less than, say, bad fight choreography would have. Needless to say, I'm looking forward to the wacky antics of our beloved Switch-lusting high school space adventurers.

12. ZeroEdge

ZeroEdge Geass'd

News Credits:
    What really bugs me about TVN's subs is the fact that they'll have untranslated words, and maybe through in a translator's note like only ONCE ever.

13. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    ooooooooo TVN bashing, can I join?

my main issue is that it takes them a week to do what other groups do in a few days. but other issues is that it takes them months or years to actually continue a show (Dairanger, Megaranger, Faiz HD, Zyuranger) theyve been working on even though they hardly ever release anything other than the new Sentai or KR. and theyll only start doing them again if another group comes in and starts releasing episodes (most recently with Zyu after GUIS started it again). I never minded the mistranslated stuff hell I never even noticed it.

and mind you it wont be until the next ep of Fourze is out that theyll release the first one because of all those pretty little useless animations and the Karaoke. its been theyre MO everytime a new show comes about, always takes em like 2 weeks to get 1 ep out. I think the first episode of Double came out 2 or 3 weeks after it was released but at that time OTime had just started

about the only things I use TVN for anymore is the stuff other groups dont do like most movies, older KR & Sentai series and probably the new Garo series

14. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Only the rough draft version used "Genny." The final version translates "Gen-chan" as just Gen. Personally, though, I like the way O-T tries to translate the effect of the honorifics. "-chan" is an ending that infers a sense of relaxed familiarity and friendship, sort of like how we use nicknames in the West. "Brotou" and "Ankhy" work as translations because they carry across the same effect as the original honorific.

Personally, I'm pretty much done with TVN. I don't mind the untranslated words that much, although it did annoy me when they'd include something like "itadakimasu" without explaining what the hell it means (I shouldn't have to look up Japanese words in order to understand English subtitles). The only times they really bug me is when the lack of translation makes something sound really strange, like when Airi from Den-O would talk about her "coffee-san-tachi," or the way they're apparently translating Gentaro's "Uchuu Kitaaaaa!" as "Space Kitaaaaa!." :banghead: 

The charges of bad translation is something I can't comment on that well since I don't speak the language, although I do know - thanks to KITScrubs - that they missed at least one really important line in Hibiki. The awkward grammar TVN uses can annoy me, too. Newer groups like O-T and KITSubs make a better effort to have the subtitles read more naturally and I appreciate that. I'm unlikely to go back and replace all my old TVN subs (mainly because not all of those shows are being scrubbed), but I'll only go to them for new stuff if there's no other option.

15. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

The series had me at chainsaw leg.

16. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    I just finished the first episode of Fourze. It was utterly ridiculous and completely over the top.

Which is EXACTLY what I was hoping it would be, I am going to LOVE this show. That episode was so much fun, and everything looks beautiful. I loved Gen and all the stereotypical high school cliques :lol 

If I wasn't sold before then, I sure as hell was when that showed up.

17. Computron34

Computron34 Always Tired

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Not gonna lie. I normally D/L the O-T subs as they come out first, but when they release it, or if I'm cataloging something on the Hard Drive, I'll go with TV-N. The untranslated stuff doesn't bother me much.

18. mIIk

mIIk Member

Ah, really? Like I said, I'm quite impatient so I watched the first version I could find. I'll have to rewatch it then with the final subs.

Eh, I understand the reasoning behind it, but it just doesn't work for me. It seems like something out of a bad anime dub.

But anyway, I think "Gen" works fine without the honorific to show her familiarity and friendship with him.

19. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    I got around to watching fourze this morning, I don't want to be the negative one especially since most of you are saying you liked it, but it really did nothing for me. There were aspects that I liked, the suit is a lot cooler than I thought it would be, though it does have problems (I don't like the fins and eyebrows on the helmet, the belt, or the oversized shin and wrist guards. The plastic weapons bother me as well). I liked how Gentaro had to learn how the suit works on his own; I like the "I don't like you but we're gonna be bros" quote; really like the zodiart's designs as well; not much else though.

Biggest problem with the show for me is the settings, they used almost every high school cliche and the very use of high school students will most likely limit the scale of the story. If the main lead were a young school teacher wanting to protect the students while also having a life outside of teaching it would be fine, but a student dealing with general teenage social problems doesn't do it for me. High school settings are one of the biggest reasons I steer clear of most anime and the maturity of the characters due to being past that stage was one of the things that got me into kamen rider in the first place.

Also the actors had some problems. Yuuki would not stop smiling while showing Gentaro how to turn the belt on, they were in the middle of being attacked by the zodiart so why would she be smiling? Kengo throwing the love letter into the water served no purpose other than to help show Gentaro's character.

Also that music when Gentaro was bouncing around in space was damned annoying and reaked of the music from the worst parts of newer power ranger series.

I'll watch a couple more episodes, but I can't see myself continuing for too long, at least I still have Gokaiger to fall back on for a little longer this season.

20. Dally

Dally Decepticon

Ebay:
    I see what you're saying. For the first episode at least I thought that the high school setting was a nice change of pace for Kamen Rider, but I fear it might get old after a while. Perhaps the space setting will keep the show fresh. Whatever happens, I want to stick with it since I didn't do so with OOO (still plan to go back and finish it someday).