RID S01E09 Episode Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by TCJJ, Mar 14, 2015.

1. TCJJ

TCJJ 121% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    Feel free to discuss. The episode will be online in about an hour.

I'm starting to really hate Strongarm, but I'm still loving Denny and Fixit. Some people feel the opposite way from what I've seen in the past.

Springload is nuts, but I kind of like him.

I still don't understand how temples have all sorts of mechanisms which are hard enough to pull off these days. It's been in so many movies and video games, but I don't know how realistic half that stuff even is. All I know is that the Egyptian pyramids have some kind of traps to some extent. Maybe someone could tell me just how realistic such things are. Anyway, they didn't go into too much depth in this episode, but I find it amusing.

That's all I have to say for now.

2. Ssargon

Ssargon He's... so... wolfy~

Ooooh. Well I was gonna go sleep but this'll be worth sticking around a bit for!

3. TCJJ

TCJJ 121% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    It's funny - Strongarm is meant to be the focus of this episode, but I found Denny and Fixit's relationship much more interesting (and funny).

4. TM2 Dinobot

TM2 Dinobot closet otaku

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  5. TCJJ

TCJJ 121% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    Because it has the same name as another show? I admit it would have been better with a different name. Still, it's not that hard to find BUT I've only just started uploading and seeding the episode some 15 minutes ago, so most people don't have it yet, anyway. Also, it should be noted that TPB's search engine is borked, because it doesn't seem to care about tags. I tag with "RID" AND "Robots in Disguise", but you can only find them by searching for "RID". Stupid.

6. Sumner Sturgeon

Sumner Sturgeon It's not easy being the best~

Man, Springload really stole the show for me in this one-- I've never heard of his voice actor before, but he REALLY sells the whole "deranged superstitious weirdo" angle.

7. thunder117

thunder117 Magna Defender

Ebay:
    "You're mixing the antiques with the collectibles!"

"You moved my snow-sleds next to the microwaves?!? What kind of system is that!?!"
    "Alphabetical."
    *Cue Denny :inquisiti *
    "Cybertronian alphabet."

8. Autoboticon

Autoboticon In like a Bot, out like a Con

Springload is now hence forth my favourite con.

9. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    Springload's fun. All of these 'Cons of the week have been fun, really. They have just the right amount of depth considering how long we see them for. As for the temple traps and stuff, you'd be surprised how simple it is to rig some things up if you have some engineering knowledge. A lot of things that we use power or specialized mechanics for nowadays could be rigged up in simpler forms hundreds of years ago. Also explains how said traps would work centuries after they're built.

10. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Awesome episode! I love the stuff with Fixit and Denny, that was so cute! Springload was a great villain, I like his insane personality. Bumblebee is still a wonderful leader, and such an interesting character, but Strongarm is starting to get very old. I find her more annoying than anything, and she was kind of a jerk in this one. I can only hope they either tone her down, or get rid of her entirely.

11. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

WOW. I underestimated this show. I said it'd take until season two for it to screw itself over, but Strongarm shows they can do what Prime did in one. Create a character with a lot of potential, make her annoyingly repetitive, and then make her into a hypocrite, all in nine episodes. Kline must really hate women to have his female Autobots keep following this exact path. Or maybe it's coincidence. Either way, it annoys me.

Bumblebee, on the other hand, was fairly entertaining, at least at the start of the episode. I laughed at him being so overprotective. It seems Kline has at least learned that you can have a farther-like character, and not have him be utterly boring.

Denny and Fixit were hilarious. I just keep loving Denny more and more, and I'm really starting to like Fixit too.

"What kind of system is that?"
    Alphabetical... Cybertronian alphabet."

And as for Springload, he was pretty good. By the end of the episode, I was really loving how insane he sounded. The way he was begging the spirits, or whatever, to show him how to find the Fountain of Energon. Also, is this mythical Fountain of Energon the only fountain in Cybertronian history or something? Otherwise, that's yet another stupid name.

Overall, a mixed episode. Denny and Fixit's rivalry was great, Bee and Springload were OK, but Strongarm was unbearable.

12. Sumner Sturgeon

Sumner Sturgeon It's not easy being the best~

Finally, we get a female character with a conflict more believable than "dead partners", "I got turned into a genetic freak and hate it, or "I lost my memory and became a living prop", and everyone decides that she's the demon spawn of McCarthy-era Drift and G1 Wheelie. I guess I must just have terrible taste or something.

13. Grimlockimus

Grimlockimus Wot?

News Credits:
    Looks like I found my new favorite episode.

The previous eight were all good in their own rights but the two parallel stories about pride, the locations used during the Decepticon hunt and the introduction of probably my favorite Decepticon yet just made this episode stand out to me.

Springload was just a big ol' leaping mess of crazy and I loved it, it's stuff like this that turns a boring villain of the week into a decent character. I really wanted to know more about this nutcase's search for Doradas and all the trouble it got him into.

And it's nice to see Strongarm get some real development here, they seemed to forget the incidents of the Filch episode last time but here you see her improvising more and while the code book still comes out every so often it's not a crutch for her anymore. Plus c'mon, who wouldn't vote for President Strongarm? :D 

14. Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo Bonecrusher Hates You

News Credits:
    Seriously. I keep wondering if everyone is watching the show in an alternate universe where all our previous female TF's didn't suck. Strongarm is the first female TF in, well, forever where being female isn't the most major part of her character.

15. femmebotfangirl

femmebotfangirl Banned

Ok Bumblebee is really pissing me off:

-He shows complete disregard for Strongarms abilities
    -He lies to her
    -He takes over her mission and makes a decision that is rightfully hers to make
    -He acts like an over-protective big brother which is completely unprofessional in a superior officer
    -He gets all self righteous when Strongarm goes behind his back to try and reclaim her authority which she wouldn't have had too if he hadn't followed her and taken over HER mission.
    -He fucking accuses her of lying and acts all snotty because he ruined her first solo mission and behaves in a completely unprofessional manner because she feels she needs to try harder to prove herself with him there.
    -She then has to fucking beg for his help to finish the mission and at the end he fucking praises her for swallowing her pride and asking for help.
    What a fucking joke. Who wrote this shit? I hope they don't write many more episodes.

Springload was really annoying too as was the idiotic competition between Fixit and Denny.

Really disappointing episode. No offense to anyone who liked it but urgh, season low for me so far hope it isn't repeated.

Yeah but she is a physically imposing female character with authority over all but one of her male colleagues so obviously she is the worst thing ever. I'd also say that TFP Arcee never had her gender as the focal point either, I also think the whole 'she never shut up about her partners' thing is hugely overstated.

Edit: I mean talking of character development what is Strongarms here? That she can't expect Bumblebee to respect her authority and have faith in her abilities and she will be punished for standing up for herself and rewarded for letting Bumblebee disrespect her? Great.

16. The Swordsman

The Swordsman The REAL hero of Hyrule

News Credits:
    Strongarm lying to Fixit about not needing back-up has cemented her as my least favourite character on this show. I find it incredibly hypocritical that she natters on about sticking to the rules for the first eight episodes, then she deliberately jeopardises a mission for her own self-satisfaction but suffers no consequences for her selfish actions, Bumblebee just congratulates her on a job well-done at the end. It does feed into a sexist double-standard I've noticed in modern pop-culture: whenever female characters do bad things, it's almost always for good, justifiable reasons and nothing bad happens to them as a result. It reminds me of the Doctor Who episode "Dark Water", where Clara Oswald temporarily goes full-villain after her boyfriend dies, demanding that the Doctor go back in time to save him and threatening to throw every TARDIS key into a volcano unless he does. She flat-out does not care about creating a time paradox by changing history as long as her boyfriend is returned to her, and afterwards the Doctor just forgives Clara for her betrayal and they carry on as normal.

17. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

Hey, this is a discussion about Transformers. It was completely unnecessary to remind that happened.

18. femmebotfangirl

femmebotfangirl Banned

The only sexist double standard is the one which sees people like you condemning a female character for lying and jeopardizing a mission while ignoring the fact her mission was already sabotaged by her superior officer who lied to her first and undermined her confidence and authority and suffered no negative consequences for it.

Also hilarious you cite something by Moffat as an example of sexist double writing when the man is reviled by feminists who hate the way he writes female characters doing selfish, stupid things like what you describe.

I'm just going to start putting people who spew this nonsense about Strongarm on my ignore list, it's going to be easier in the long run and it isn't like I'll be missing anything important.

19. TCJJ

TCJJ 121% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    Seriously people, let's keep the gender and sexism discussion out of this. Half of what you're all bringing up isn't gender-related. Then, of course, someone makes it an argument over gender, and shit goes down. Let's not have shit go down, please.
    I'd put good money on Strongarm's gender being completely separate from why (most) people like or dislike her. In my case, she could be Batman and I'd still hate her with that non-stop rules stuff. But I don't hate her. She's just beginning to really annoy me. Unfortunately, because that's the majority of her character so far, she annoys me more than Fixit's voice tics or Bumblebee's failed catchphrases (which I actually like because, so far, they haven't overused that gimmick).
    I'm sure Strongarm will get better over time. We're only up to episode nine out of, what, 78? We have a long way to go. Keep your damn pants on.

I'd agree with you if Filch didn't exist. :p 

Fair point, but I was thinking more along the lines of, for example, Uncharted or Tomb Raider, where it gets to seemingly ridiculous levels of complexity. I mean, engineering is one thing, but some of that stuff seems completely unrealistic. I guess it's a subject I should do some more research on, since it actually interests me.

Kline is the executive producer. He isn't writing for the show. Also, implying that he is a sexist is uncalled for. You don't even know the man.

I don't really think that's fair. You're trying to sum up whole characters with entire story arcs in a few words, and that's hardly doing them justice.

I personally think Prime Arcee was great... at least until they forgot she existed. She was strong, though - there really wasn't anything about "she's the female character". Arcee was just a strong character. She had to re-learn to trust people and depend on them as well as letting them depend on her, and there was a bit of a vengeance/revenge story in there, too.

Animated Elita-1/Blackarachnia was one I really enjoyed, too, but the show kinda got cancelled before they could truly finish her story. It was much more than just hating what she had become, though. She hated the people around her, including people that used to be her friends. She starting torturing others (e.g. Wasp/Waspinator) as a means to an end. I guess it's like that sorry excuse for a story from that sorry excuse for a show that is Naruto, except actually not total crap - the difference being the Naruto got to finish its God-awful story but Animated didn't.

Also, if we're really going to do this: I have no problem with Drift. I've never had any problem with Drift. I get that people don't like him, but the vehement hatred for him is just silly. G1 Wheelie is different, however. American G1 Wheelie is annoying. Japanese G1 Wheelie is just a huge dick. That's pretty much it.

I still don't see how Prime Arcee or even Animated Blackarachnia are bad characters. Hell, I like G1 Arcee. Call it sexist, but I like her as the motherly character she was (well, at least until the creepy Daniel stuff).

To be fair, most of what Moffat writes is unnecessary drivel. No one ever wants to be reminded that he exists. But he does. And he'll be back again this year. Unless we put out a hit on him.

20. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    i think bumblebee was more in the wrong on this one. you're telling me not trusting somebody and micromanaging them leads to rebellious tendencies and lying? stop the presses.