3D Artwork: RID Magnus WIP

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by weewoo, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

Hey Weewoo, if you have time, could you please post a wire shade of the Magnus face? I'm very interested in seeing the edge flow on how you achieved the look.

Thanks.

2. weewoo

weewoo Veteran

[​IMG]

first i make the low poly face, and get the shape and lines right with the minimum of detail needed.. then comes the meshsmooth. 1x wouldve been enough, but from other angles the corner of the mouth was still a bit pinchy, so i went for 2x to get uber-smoothness, which resulted in a stupidylbig poly count, so i cleaned up the mesh for the final. animating facial expressions with such a heavy count on the mouth would be crazy, so its a good thing i dont intend to do that :redface2:  i also made a lot of triangles when cleaning/lowering the count on the final mesh, but meh, you cant tell in renders, cos theyre in flat areas, so its ok :D 

3. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    **drools**
    :rock 

4. Cobra_Commander

Cobra_Commander Master of tactics TFW2005 Supporter

thats awsome man how many polygons are there for his face (think there polygons)

5. -=|cerebros|=-

-=|cerebros|=- Headmaster Commander

Woo, look into using Xref objects and selective box display for keeping the interactivity somewhat bearable. Also try and keep the meshsmooth for render only levels, no need to kill interaction when it's only in the viewport. Also select DirectX for your GFX card setup, it needs to cache the model once in HW and then should be faster to orbit around than OGL. (As long as it doesn't animate it should atleast).

I'll conjure up some more Performance tips when I'm done with what I'm doing now.

Which version of Max are you on? what kind of GFX card?

Take care.

C.

6. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

Another sugestion? (like you need my help) On the tri-barrel, will you animate rotation like a gattling gun? And on the large bore cannon perhaps you can work that extending stock into a sort of recoil?

7. weewoo

weewoo Veteran

cerebros, thanks so much for the help on MSN this morning; max is working a LOT more smoothly :D 

infosaur, yup, ive set up a gatling rotation on that barrel, with a slower counter-rotation of the prongs on either side of it. looks muchly cool :)  for the other cannon i have the inner part of the barrel so it recoils inside the rear part of the barrel a bit, it cant go too far cos of the prongs so i might try something different..

8. weewoo

weewoo Veteran

finished the weapon -

[​IMG]
    as when stored on the rear of the truck.

[​IMG]
    as held by magnus in bot mode.

[​IMG]
    as mounted to omega prime in bot mode.

[​IMG]
    as mounted to omega prime when the other guns arent connected.

[​IMG]
    the other guns in handgun mode.

[​IMG]
    large singular cannon mode, as used by magnus in bot mode, or mounted on omega prime's shoulder.

[​IMG]
    large singular gatling gun mode, as used by magnus in bot mode, or mounted on omega prime's shoulder.

phew!

9. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

thanks for posting those weewoo. looks pretty cool and is a bunch of help to figure out topology. One thing I thought of, in order to keep your face nice and smooth, why not just take the low-poly and convert over to Sub_division surfaces? The low poly model should act like a lattice/cage for the subD surface model and would make setting up blend shapes/morph targets a lot easier. Granted I'm sure that you would have to mess around with creasing and uncreasing to determine edge smoothness, it should do the trick.

10. weewoo

weewoo Veteran

i wouldve been able to do that exact thing if i'd left the face as a meshsmoothed object, it lets you specify edges to keep creased, and lets you use the lowpoly mesh for deformation, but i collapsed the smoothed face to a mesh so i could clean up unnecessary polys and bevel. i have a copy saved in a different file (that i used for the wireframe shots) so in the future if i do want to add some expressions, i'll be able to :) 

11. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    That is just amazing the work you do weewoo, just incredible :rock