RID Legends Clampdown

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Harbinger, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Harbinger

Harbinger ecnayonnA

I found him today at retail. I live in Australia and will have to check if he has shown up elsewhere.

He is small fun and poseable. Legs are on ball joints, shoulders are on ball joints where they connect to the body. The claws can swivel and the eyes stalks can too. I found him fun to mess around with. He can stand without his feet touching the ground and with the eye stalks you can make him look world weary.

I would say he is a solid 8/10

Attached Files:

2. Yaujta

Yaujta ANUTFORAJAROFTUNA Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I absolutely love the legion class, but this figure is awful. I just totally dislike the design as a whole.
    Sure, the alt mode is pretty much the same car as Generations Tracks, and there may be some good custom fodder pieces here, but in general, yuck.

3. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    looks like a very unique transformer

4. Yaujta

News Credits:
    That's the toy equivalent of "She has a great personality."

• Like Like x 1
  5. Slingshot

Slingshot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As much as I love RID2015, this figure looks horrible, along with the other 9/10 of the Legion Class, a class I've never been fond of anyway. It's far too small, and the eyes make him look like he's evil, contrary to the cartoon's portrayal of the character.
    Oh well, the McDonald's figure isn't all that bad. I'll use that until a better figure comes out.

6. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    LMAO!

No really..It is so different from everything else..I kinda want it just for that. Anytime a transformer is unique in a way, im drawn to it. I like "different"..and this IS..I love legends..but I think this could be a baddass deluxe if the TFmation was refined a bit.

7. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    I'll wait for a warrior, he feels out of scale in that size class for me.

8. Digilaut

Digilaut I'm Mary Poppins, y'all!

News Credits:
    My only complaint would be that he looks angry when the eyes are angled correctly - really the last emotion the character would have in the cartoon. :lol 
    I love him. One of the cooler designs in the show!

9. Cha Chi

Cha Chi Minimondomayhem

News Credits:
    I do want this guy mostly out of intrigue. How can i custom him or can i do custom the way i think possible... I love the alt mode as it is.

Strangely looking forward to getting him more than thunderhoof who is not that exciting at all.

10. AlanGarou

AlanGarou Well-Known Member

Well I think he's perfect. Adorable angry carcrab.

11. Zylly103

Zylly103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He's an odd little toy, to be sure. I like to keep his eyestalks out in vehicle mode, so that he looks like an evil Herbie or something.

12. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Just got him (well, obviously). He's kinda fun. I think it's okay to break the norm every now and then and Clampdown is certainly a bit weird. But then I like his Hero Masher so it follows I'd get a kick out of this too.

I like how you can get different moods from him just by angling his eye stalks and I like that he had some articulation to his mouth. How many TF can boast both those features?

I do wish the wheels in his lower arms could've angled back though so we got a full claw effect and he can live up to his name. Plus I can foresee quite a few people, primarily kids, losing his legs straight out of the packaging if they don't fold those away first when transforming. Those ball joints aren't very secure at this scale.

Alt mode clamps together well and is a solid little vehicle with a decent amount of paint apps to break up the main colour. And like was said, you can leave his eye stalks out in vehicle mode.

He may not be everyone's cup of tea but I think some people will love such a quirky little figure for a change.

How many is he to a case? There did seem to be more of him on the pegs than the others in his wave. Aw, I hope he doesn't shelfwarm. :( 

13. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Boy, that Fixit sure makes everyone look like crap.
    [​IMG]
    On the other hand though, Clampdown's got quite a bit of emotional range thanks to his eyes. He "should" just have the googly eyes for show-accuracy, but I can't be mad at a toy that can pull off 'depressed', 'angry', 'resigned', and 'are you serious? this orange bastard's got ELBOWS?! I don't even have my clamps!'

14. Yaujta

News Credits:
    Clampdown is garbage. Picked it up today as an impulse purchase, and really regret it. It's loose, bland and dull. I also dislike the mouth and the fact it wobbles in alt mode.
    Well, at least the 'legs' will make good custom fodder.

15. Noideaforaname

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    Yaujta not liking a ~Legends figure is a huge red flag, yet I bought Clampdown anyways. I don't regret it, but....

[​IMG]
    He seems kinda small. Dunno if this is just how Legions are nowadays, but it's not like the body form demands a tiny figure.
    [​IMG]

The incomplete back end:
    [​IMG]
    At first I thought the crab legs somehow folded up to complete it, but nope. Just a big hole.
    The two spots of purple on the roof are just bizarre.

The jaw isn't designed so well. It's on a pin that doesn't 'click' closed so it's left hanging open in car mode. Granted he looks like a car with a face regardless, but still sloppy. And since it's on a pin it has a habit of swiveling back and forth unnaturally.
    [​IMG]

He's got a 3mm port, though, even if those aren't in use anymore.
    [​IMG]
    He's got another on one of his claws.

The crab legs are next to useless for support. No I don't expect to be able to pose him with both claws in the air, but this shouldn't have been as hard as it was:
    [​IMG]
    Also disappointed his claws aren't proper claws, though that may be asking too much.

I don't *hate* Clampdown, but it really feels like a regression on what I KNOW the scale is capable of. The Dreads were amazing. Terrorcons, also amazing (not so much Abominus though). Fixit, GOD. This guy, eeeeeehhhh.... It is perhaps too fitting that his car mode reminds me of the cars from The Brave Little Toaster.
    [​IMG]
    Worthless! And there ain't nothing you can do about it
    Worthless! Pardon me while I panic!
    Worthless! Worthless! Worthless!

16. Cha Chi

Cha Chi Minimondomayhem

News Credits:
    If the mouth is open in alt mode it means you haven't transformed him properly as the jaw should tab up.

i think he is brilliant... the jaw is fun it's like you can make him talk which is fun/different. Have to buy another to customise.

yeah he is small but all the RID legions seem to be getting progressively smaller. Thunderhoof looks tiny....

17. Noideaforaname

News Credits:
    The jaw doesn't catch on anything. I push it up closed, and it flops right back down. There are tabs on his shoulders that kinda hold it up in car mode, but it's really not so effective.

Heck, the head doesn't catch on anything in robot mode, either. It just sits in place. It doesn't need to click into place, but still it feels like this figure needed another round or two in the design phase.

18. Cha Chi

Cha Chi Minimondomayhem

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

The very tops of the shoulders should hold it closed, you may have a dud.

If i was going to crit this guy it would be that the legs are so small that when you roll your thumb over to take them out, there is no real grip, they usually come off the ball joint. The eyes are similiarly small, flimsy so require extra care.

19. Noideaforaname

News Credits:
    So playing with it more I can get the shoulder tabs to keep the mouth closed in car mode. I'm not entirely sure how I'm transforming him any different, but it's one complaint I can scratch off the list.

20. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

Robot Mode: The new RID cartoon features quite a few out-there designs for its animal-themed Decepticons and Clamdown is pretty far out there, actually. His robot mode looks like a crab – actually, like Mr. Krabs from SpongeBob – and the entire front portion of the car forms his head with eyestalks flipping out from the sides. The sides of the car become huge arms with (sculpted) claws at the ends and tiny little crab legs unfold from the undercarriage. The result is as close a match to the cartoon character as was possible in this size class, I guess, and it looks both incredibly cute and fun.

The small size imposes some limitations, of course. No elbow joints, the sculpted claws don’t open up, and the tiny little legs aren’t exactly the most stable in the world, but those are just details. Overall this little guy here does a good job portraying the Clampdown we saw in the cartoon. Not a perfect job, but a good job. Just make sure to always move him sideways.

Alternate Mode: This hardcore Clampdown warrior figure converts in 5 steps from robot mode to heavy-duty combat vehicle mode ... according to Hasbro Toyshop, at least. Actually this cute little Clampdown figure converts into a cute little toy car, but yeah, five steps, more or less. The resulting car mode is tiny, cute, and about as good as you can do in this size class. No visible robot bits, everything fits together well, so no complaints. Well, apart from the fact that it makes for a very poor ‘heavy-duty combat vehicle mode’.

Remarks: Clampdown was among the prisoners on the Alchemore who were freed when the ship crashed to Earth. He is a coward, a blackmailer, and always looking out for number one, which is how he got on the bad side of Thunderhoof, whom he ratted out to the Autobots. Also, he is very reminiscent of Mr. Krabs from SpongeBob and always walks sideways, which is just too fun for words for some reason.

At this moment in time this Legion class figure of Clampdown seems to be all we’re getting, but it’s a nice little figure and apart from the limitations of the size class, there is very little to complain about here. So while I would have wished for a larger, Warrior class figure of Clampdown, Legion class Clampdown is fun. Recommended to all fans of the RID cartoon and Mr. Krabs.

Rating: B

Source: Transformers Universe!