RiD Combiner Force Legion Starscream

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Fasttrack, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Fasttrack

Fasttrack Super-Unvincible

News Credits:
    It's quite rare for a transformer figure to show up at retail before it gets an official reveal
    Nowadays it's even rarer for them to hit retail without getting leaked

And yet, here we are.

Wave 1 of the Combiner Force subline imprint of RiD legions has shown up at retail in Australia

This wave consists of four figures.
    Grimlock, Optimus Prime, Starscream and Springload.
    Grimlock and Optimus are the same figures as their previous releases whilst Starscream and Springload are brand new moulds

Here, we'll be looking at Starscream.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

After having his fate left up in the air at the end of Prime, Starscream made a triumphant comeback during the "mini season" between season 2 and the upcoming Combiner Force season.

Having upgraded to a new body more akin to his generation 1 self, all toys released of Starscream for the RiD toyline are based on this new design.

ROBOT MODE

This new legion scaled Starscream does a good job at replicating the shape and detail of his show model.

[​IMG]

The large wings and broad shoulders give Starscream a regal and intimidating appearance. Although, he does look a bit skinny

Moulded in silver and light blue plastics. Starscream feature black paint on his helmet, red on the rims of his chest intakes, pelvis, and along his wings, blue paint on the tops of his shoulders, fuselage and his feet and orange plastic on the cockpit
    And of course a sticker for the RiD app on his left wing. (Note: combiner force toys aren't unlocked when scanned into the app, instead they give a ticket to use with Cryostase to unlock a random character in the game - I got hammer)
    The paint layout and amount of paint apps on such a small figure really help make Starscream look nice and worth the price to purchase.

Poseability

[​IMG]

In terms of poseability, we are dealing with a legion class here, so there's not much to speak of. Although Starscream fares better than some others in the line.
    Having ball jointed hips, hinged knees hat can bend just short of 90 degrees, multiple hinges in the shoulders (although, most are only really useful for transformation) and similar to Windblade, he has odd ball joints at his elbows. In fact. The lower arms on Starscream are the exact same as windblade!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Speaking of windblade. The two share very similar transformation schemes. And you'd be forgiven for thinking they were just remoulded of each other
    However, besides the forearms, they don't appear to share any parts from what I can see.

TRANSFORMATION

[​IMG]

To transform Starscream, it's very simple. As is normal for this size class.
    1: peg the legs together
    2: fold the fuselage/Nosecone on the back up over the head and peg it in place
    3: fold the wings down
    4: fold the shoulder pads down on the hinges along with the elbow pieces to straighten them down along the sides of the torso
    5: peg the hands onto the pegs on the undersides of the wings.

VEHICLE MODE

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From above, Starscream's vehicle mode looks quite good. From underneath however, well... It looks like he's reaching down to hold his wings in place.
    Another oddity on the underside is that like a few other figures recently, he has a landing gear moulded into the Nosecone but no wheels anywhere else. Instead he rests on his kneecaps and toes

[​IMG]

For the size class, I can't complain much about this vehicle mode, yeah it could have been better. But it's fine for what it is.

The paint apps work well to make the vehicle mode look nice
    With the red wings, orange cockpit and blue nose cone to break up all the grey a bit.

All in all legion Starscream is just that. A legion Starscream. It's nothing amazing. But it has a few neat things that make it worth a look

SIZE COMPARISON
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

FINAL THOUGHTS

Overall I'd rate it a B-
    Losing a couple of marks for the awkward elbows, lack of rear wheels and borrowing Windblade's forearms.

If you're interested, its probably worth picking up, it is a cheap figure after all.
    Definitely worth grabbing for a completionist
    But I wouldn't say it's worth running out to get ASAP

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Fallout

Fallout no one can see me cry

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    this is the second rid starscream to show up at retail without anybody knowing it was a thing...

3. Fasttrack

News Credits:
    That's true, it's strange that such a big name character just keeps sneaking out like this

4. Fasttrack

News Credits:
    First Post has been updated to include pictures

5. autobot prowl

autobot prowl Well-Known Member

This guy actually looks pretty good for the size

6. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Actually, all of the blue parts, not just the forearms, are taken from Windblade. So forearms, thighs, the arm brackets, and the nosecone hinge.

7. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for all the pics!

Can we get a comparison bw this fig & the Warrior class?
    Wish we had a pic of the jet from the show - this jet feels almost more streamlined than the Warrior to me, probably bc of the collapsing shoulders.

8. Fasttrack

News Credits:
    Unfortunately I don't have the warrior yet, if someone else has both. Hopefully they can post some comparison pics

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bumblejazz

Bumblejazz I exist

News Credits:
    Here's a comparison.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  10. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Jet modes?

11. Bumblejazz