RID 34 Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by megatronski, Oct 22, 2014.

1. megatronski

megatronski Flamewar's strongest soldier

News Credits:
    I just read it and... wow. That was indeed something, changes up the IDW Universe quite a bit...

OVERMEGASIXWAVE SIZE SPOILERS UP AHEAD:

So it would appear that the "Thirteen Tribes" Galvatron mentioned so many times were indeed lead by the 13 Primes, Alpha Trion being one of them, along with others Onyx, Solus, and Megatronus and Liege Maximo getting mention.
    Nexus Prime was the tribe leader of the "Ancient Headmasters" Galvatron fought in earlier issues, and Galvatron kills Nexus Prime at the end of the issue . The big secret and the whole reason Trion went to Earth is Nexus Prime's "Enigma of Combination" which Galvatron hid on Earth after killing Nexus.
    I don't know if it's already been mentioned, but Nova Prime is indeed the first in the "corrupted" Prime lineage.
    It seems like Rhinox is just one of Onyx Prime's bodyguards, and was the only one guarding his palace when Nova & Co. showed up...

I really don't know what to think about all this, it was a LOT of BIG exposition in one 24 page story...

2. FruitBuyer

FruitBuyer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love it. Ties back nicely to Furman's run, which ended too soon. I love the new take of the Transformers origins, certainly more interesting than Primus -> Prima -> XXXX Prime.

The seeding for Combiner Wars is also a nice touched and definitely doesn't feel forced, which is always a plus.

Overall, I'm very happy with where this is going. RiD doesn't have the level of dialogue as MtMtE (but then again, few comics do) but it's certainly better with large-scale lore building.

3. Hound89

Hound89 Well-Known Member

Solus is gonna make every thing a clusterfuck LOL

4. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Was bound to happen eventually. I'm perfectly fine with
    the Thirteen Primes as tribe-leaders, and it still leaves room for the Guiding Hand as the actual gods.

But I still really really hate the name 'Megatronus', it's awful, and I really hope they're not going to pull an Aligned and reveal the thirteenth Prime as Optimus. One of thr bigger missteps in TF lore if you ask me.

Although I guess that's going to be hard to avoid now, right? Ugh.

Art was...bearable, but I'm getting increasingly annoyed how Livio draws things. Legs, shoulder cannons and faces: all crooked looking. Does he ever go over his layouts to correct mistakes?

Used to be of the mindset that I encourage IDW offering a variation of styles, but even after so many books he's worked with I see zero progression in his skills. I'm getting to the point where his artstyle is diminishing my interest and enjoyment in a book - in fact I'm still evading picking up the reprint of MTMTE's vol1 TPB because the cover is so damned awful.

I know I am a mean person. :(  Hear he's a super nice guy, and there's definitely a place for him as far as I'm concerned, but he should (be given time to) improve by now... :(  :(  :( 

Overall an enjoyable read for me.

5. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde 怪人

News Credits:
    This.

I'm glad the thirteen are present, but I'm not a fan of the name "Megatronus", and I was absolutely "not" fond of how he was portrayed in the Covenant. I'm also a bit iffy regarding Optimus being the "13th" Prime.

The Fallen should be like he was in War Within, we don't need to know what his original name was. A much darker and more threatening foe, I didn't mind his relationship with Solus, but I seriously think if he was going to fall into darkness, he should have went "All the way". Not "Oh, what have I done?"

Liege Maximo was also a letdown in the Covenant, but maybe they'll be better used, and written better in the IDW fiction, here's hoping.

Speaking of Solus, I can't wait for the manic Fembot rioters show up. :lolol  This'll be fun to watch.

6. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Awesome story. More like "Nova Prime-Origins" than Robots in Disguise or Galvatron's story, but still awesome.

7. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Totes on board for this. Just happy that a good writer is getting to handle the Thirteen for the first time, even if it's just a little. I feel like the Regenesis planets being the resting place of the Primes would rule out Optimus being one in this continuity, though, and that'd be good. I don't mind it for the Aligned universe and the way they've treated Prime there, but it can't get multiversal.

Perhaps it's finally Logos Prime's time to shine!

8. Nocturne

Nocturne Professional Ginger

News Credits:
    Some really cool lore building in this issue. I like the concept of the Thirteen Primes, so it will be interesting to see where they go with it. Especially as it seems there weren't necessarily God-Like beings in this continuity. At least, that's how I took it.

But now I have to wonder where the Matrix falls into all of this.

9. Jalaguy

Jalaguy has no known physical weaknesses

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Huh? It was established way back in Spotlight: Optimus Prime that Nova was a mech-supremacist who launched the Ark-1 to begin conquering the galaxy.

Him having always been a bastard isn't some new development of the Barberts era...

10. Digilaut

News Credits:
    I also don't mind Nova being a jerk form the beginning. Didn't Zeta Prime start of as an ok guy, then turn into a mad emperor? No need to do that twice.

Fun fact: I wasn't sure if Nova Major was Nova Prime or Tigatron until he mentioned his name.

11. Napalm

Napalm Drinking About Robots TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I liked it.

The concept of Information Creep gets another outing and further legitimises the frankly insane nature of their lifespans (or is that just the continuity problems they present..? Ha).

As with Digilaut, I am happy with having The Guiding Hand exist alongside IDW's interpretation of The Thirteen when presented in this manner.

But this whole 'Only a Prime can kill a Prime thing'. That's bollocks isn't it?
    Musing, and I'm always wrong.. Megatronus was Galvatron's 'Master', eh? Maybe he renounced the title of Prime and got himself a new look, a new name and a new MO. That Galvatron is just full of secrets isn't he? And Megatronus doesn't have to become The Fallen in IDW. Or does he?

12. MechaV

MechaV Not as bad as you think.

News Credits:
    I like that we now have an origin for beast-formers and the beginnings of functionalism.

Thought -did the 13 flee Cybertron on the Titans? Is Caminus the tribe of Solus?

13. Nocturne

Nocturne Professional Ginger

News Credits:
    Yeah... Nova has always been a dick, I'm not sure how this comes as a surprise or disappointment to anyone. He built an army for the sole purpose of killing/conquering anything that wasn't Cybertronian. I think that makes you a racist by default.

What I do find interesting is how that view is directed at his 'fellow' Cybertronians. I'd love to see why Beasts or Headmasters are considered abominations to him since this was before Functionists came to power. Maybe they came to power because of Nova's influence and views.

14. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    The name "Megatronus" is canon to IDW?

Yay... :l

15. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Hasbro Forces IDW to Shoehorn in Aligned Mythology: The Issue

Just dreadful.

16. MechaV

News Credits:
    I think that was the implication here. Functionism spawned from Nova.

17. Gearshift

Gearshift Lady of the Dark Throne

News Credits:
    This issue was fun because it's basically settled a bunch of wiki disputes at once, and pushes all those nice continuity buttons in a way that feels satisfying.

18. Digilaut

News Credits:
    Looks like there's no way around it that Megatronus is indeed 'the Fallen'. Nexus Prime even states that Galvatron's master has 'fallen', and pretty much
    retells the basic story as it is in the Covenant of Primus: Megatronus working together with Liege Maximo, and betraying Solus Prime.

Different universe though, so enough room for different characteristics and outcomes of who lives and dies.....

We should definitely wait for now, but I think this is a safe assumption make. I've assumed as such before, as I'm sure many people have: it's a planet filled with female bots, and the Titan is named Forge.

I still think it can work for IDW. I've never been opposed to The Thirteen Primes, but I am bummed that so far a lot of 'inspiration' is coming from the dreadful Covenant of Primus. Really hope this isn't some sort of Hasbro mandate.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  19. MechaV

News Credits:
    I thought the Titan itself was named Caminus.

20. Napalm

Napalm Drinking About Robots TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I was half heartedly coming at it from the angle that in this continuity Megatronus might have become Galvatron.