RiD #31 discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Omegashark18, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    So for based on the reviews I've read, the comic seems to be improving.

Key points
    - Characters are starting to act intelligent.
    - Griffth is getting better at drawing humans.
    - Jazz's reason for rejoining was good and fitting of the character.
    - Some nice character moments. Especially between Prowl, Kup, and Cosmos.
    - Good art all around. (Especially Guido)
    - Ends with a cliffhanger.

Tformers.com score: 8/10
    Seibertron.com score: 7/10

PS: haven't read the comic yet myself.

2. AdyCarter

AdyCarter Mentalist Conspiracies

It wasn't bad really.

The construction around Jupiter is interesting, and I'm sure how they've made it will be too.

Cliffhanger made me sigh, bored of Prowl now.

3. TheSpartanD

TheSpartanD Minicon Orphanage Owner

This issue is an improvement over the previous ones (although like Ady, I think the Prowl twist isn't that good).

We finally get an idea of what the Decepticons are after- it's simply just a new home. The 'bot who was captured was Alpha Trion, as was to be expected.

4. Faizan

Faizan 2 of 12

RiD man. This OP vs Prowl thing is getting really old :/.
    Also I think no one doubted it for a moment that Alpha Trion was the victim.

5. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    Hope you don't mind me asking but, what Prowl twist?

6. TheSpartanD

The issue ends with
    him pointing his gun at Jazz before Jazz can wake up Alpha Trion

7. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    While I can understand the annoyance, that kinda surprises me. What gain comes from that?

8. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    Actually, I thought that was too obvious and thus wouldn't happen, like how I felt Starscream couldn't possibly have been the bomber in Windblade. I was expecting something more left field like a reanimated Dead Universe guy, Dropshot, or even Hunter.

Overall, I think this might be my favorite issue since RID S1. I'm really into Soundwave and I want to see how far his convictions go. Galvatron was nicely toned down from the "I'll kill everything" guy he was in the last few issues. I liked how he had to say "I'm not insane, I know what that is" a lot. His line about New Mexico made me laugh.

Nice to see some exposition on Jazz, and I think they did a decent job of explaining why he left and why he returned. Nice to see Arcee and Prowl still have their own relationship. I'm not sure what Prowl's game is here. I have no idea why he'd want him kept locked up. Maybe he wants access to the Mind Bomb?

9. TheSpartanD

I haven't got the fainest idea- it's the last panel in the issue.

I'm hoping that it isn't that Prowl is under Decepticon control.

10. Faizan

Faizan 2 of 12

/greater good that no one but prowl understands.

Could also be a setup since he drew his gun to stop Jazz from possibly killing Alpha by waking him up

11. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    That would explain the cover of him vs Optimus for the next issue.

12. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It is more likely that Prowl is going align himself with the Decepticons, eventually. I doubt Prowl is mind control now but his values such as they were to begin with are more align with the Decepticons and tipping the scales will be Constructicons.

13. agp

agp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm surprised by how much I liked the Jazz aspects. I was negative after the preview and thought they should of just forgot the human killing happened. My hat goes off to Barber for addressing, resolving and moving on in such a succinct manner.

Seems the Decepticons are trading some muscle for a new home. At least that's how it seemed to me. I actually felt bad for Soundwave reading this issue.

Now can I get RTS Jazz in stealth paint?

14. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Unlikely.
    Prowl basically hates Decepticons and is capable to everything to win against them.
    His values and characterisation are also roughly the same as always were, he's "the end justifies the means" type of guy.

What he was doing recently isn't very different from what he was doing when ordered brainwashing Kup.

15. WilyMech

News Credits:
    I dunno I feel bad that Soundwave is in the wrong group, place, and not. I mean IDW Soundwave is very ethical person in the sense he truly believes in the equality of all and his brethren not so much. In essence he believes in Megatron where point of fighting injustice and inequality which Soundwave ascribes it to the rest of the Decepticons.
    The Decepticon morphed from the early beliefs to what it is today a force of conquest and tyranny whereas Megatron saw it for what it was. Soundwave has not whether this is choice or denial it is any one guest. Likewise Megatron accepting and rejecting the Decepticon cause remains to be scene.

16. WilyMech

News Credits:
    Prowl hates the Decepticons because they are a reflection himself and the restriction of the Autobots acceptable bounds or rules. If you hate the Decepticons so much why do combine with the Constructicons to form Devastator. I am not talking about DC but some Prowl combining is done by his own free will.

17. PredaconElder

PredaconElder Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think some of you may have missed this, but it looks like Scoop joined Galvatron.

What are the possibilities he gets a new paint job and join up with the Constructicons when they eventually switch sides again? Maybe he'll rename himself Scrapper?

18. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

I think Prowl is the strongest of all personalities forming Devastator.

Prowl has many other reasons to hate Cons. They broke all rules, and he's by the book type guy, even if he's sometimes interpreting the rules in his own favor.
    They also started the war and forced him into fighting.

I think Prowl plays behind Prime's back for the same reason as always. He believes that Autobots are too idealistic and not always up to the task. And that he knows better.

19. WilyMech

News Credits:
    Prowl had been reinterpreting the rules to justify what he is doing. Playing by the rules is Ultra Magnus more than Prowl. Prowl rule is logic. How to win the war? I do not believe that Prowl is control as much as he think he is. Lately he been using emotions and reacting off of it.

Problem Prowl facing is how much he is willing sacrifice the ethics of the Autobots to win? Without running risk of victory being empirical and meaningless when lose the thing that makes different from the enemy.

20. Mechafire

Mechafire Tarnished Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Best RID since #28.

Nothing that made me slap my forehead because of how stupid the characters were acting. Barber of course consistently writes Soundwave brilliantly, and Galvatron was pretty good here too, actually showing some character besides "mindless brute". I actually chuckled at his "Old Mexico" line. Even Sky Lynx, despite unfortunately still being relegated to space taxi, at least gets a clever line when Prowl jumps out of him. The art on the humans seemed fine as well, though that may have just been because Marissa wasn't really focused-on at any point.

I think my only real complaint would be that Arcee tells Prowl about the Constructicon spy, but he doesn't really seem to care. Thought that'd be kind of important... ?

Speaking of, someone really needs to just beat the shit out of Prowl already. He's seriously getting on my nerves, despite providing the most interesting cliffhanger since #28's.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014