RID #29 Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Mechafire, May 28, 2014.

1. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    Looks more like a Stryker to me.

2. TheSpartanD

TheSpartanD Minicon Orphanage Owner

Just noticed, Bumblebee's half of the matrix appears (third panel on page 15 of the actual story)

Edit
    Pic:
    [​IMG]

Edit 2
    Pic of Soundwave's Alt Mode for anyone who's wondering:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. WoundSave

WoundSave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    to me it kind of looks like the voyager Onslaught altmode from the CHUG release, but with sound waves shoulder cannons mounted on the front

4. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    I thought it was okay, "good" even. It's still lagging behind but it does have it's own pace and it's own little niches. The dialogue was pretty bad in some places, I don't think I need to mention where, and the art is a little less spectacular as it could be, mainly when concerning Prime's helmet, it just never looks right. The look of Marissa as well, yeesh.

On the other hand I felt like the latter half of the book is where it shines, Prowl had some actually pretty good development while still maintaining his cold personality, and his plan at the very end definitely has some epic repercussions with the humans now aware that Devastator, the symbol of Earth's onslaught, has returned. The Constructicons are awesome as well, that first splash with Longhaul as this big bruiser and Bonecrusher chewing on a missile was one of my other favourite parts it was just a whole lot of personality on one page. As much as I've criticized Griffith's art and his Galvatron design (Yeeaaggh), I do love a lot of the other looks we've got here, Soundwave's alt-mode, Sideswipe's stealth-force and even Thundercracker with his cool wings. I have love-hate relationship with some of the ideas thrown around I guess. Other than that there isn't really much else to say, I'm definitely looking forward to the next issue, but overall I think Barber has improved in terms of writing characters and dialogue, even if he has to stick the word "Lad" in Kup's own dialogue for no reason still... he can still pull off some good in the long run.

Also, no, this is still far from Costa Tier.

5. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Probably because it was a word he used during the 80s movie and cartoon.

6. Nocturne

Nocturne Professional Ginger

News Credits:
    Re-read the issue a few more times and it's coming off a tiny bit better than my first read. Teeny tiny bit.

The dialogue is still blah but anything with Prowl(especially when he's speaking with Optimus) was good. I've missed scheming!Prowl so it's good to see him make a return and even better since he's brought his little harem with him XD I especially enjoyed the flashbacks.

The Human/Decepticon alliance. Still stupid and incredibly forced. This is what really brings me out of the story because it... well, it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense and it does a huge disservice to Marissa as a character. I'm having real trouble getting past it because it's just so daft.

Some posters mentioned the theory that Galvatron is nothing more than a figure head. YES! This I can totally get behind! As a leader he is a product of his time. Crush the weak for the glory of the Empire! He's a joke and not someone I would like to follow BUT he has presence and if you combine that with Soundwave's brains then you have a solid commander. Awesome, if that's the plan then stick with it.

7. Sockie

Sockie Veteran

News Credits:
    I think it's pretty likely to be more than a theory; Soundwave very much seems to be using Galvatron here.

Anyway, there needs to be more love for Jetfire and DOC. Giving Jetfire a sidekick has helped me give an actual damn about him for one of the first times ever.

8. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    We need a toy of Soundwave's design like now.

I really hate this alliance between Earth and the Decepticons, it's all sorts of stupid. I really hope the Decepticons fuck them over big time and the Autobots go......"Told ya so."

9. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    DOC should have been an action master partner droid. Glitch or Push-Button.

10. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Well-Known Member

Oh man, would I ever love for that to be the case, but it seems like a reach considering we only have two named humans and I can't imagine Marissa is a facsimile considering her "impassioned" backstory flashback.

1. Absolutely, this is a strange team and I couldn't agree more about it. It would be neat if we end up seeing some kind of Megatron-Trial-Flashback where Prime's decision alienates a significant majority of Autobots and so only the weirdoes want to follow him, but I doubt this'll happen.

2. So far that Prowl idea is the only one that makes any sense, considering he is the only making any sense and the only one acting in a reasonable way to the circumstances presented. Every other character is like, choosing the dumbest of all possible outcomes when presented with a choice. So, go Prowl, I guess.

I wrote some notes as I read this on the train, so not that anyone cares, here are my thoughts:

From Wall Street Occupier (With a PEACE SYMBOL patch, no less) to the Head of Earth Defence Forces in only X years. Uh, okay. (From Marcy to Madison Square, to the only thing that matters in just a matter of years. As fate would have it, Jay's status appears to be at an all-time high, perfect time to say goodbye.)

What's the average American income? This guy has a $35,000 suitcoat? That seems... I guess? I mean, I just googled expensive coats and they usually are all made of rare animals or diamonds or Dalmations. This just looks like a normal coat. Also, from what I gather, the Occupiers aren't (or at least shouldn't) hate individuals, the system/structure is more problematic. Like, Marissa "hating" this "one guy" for "who he is" is exceptionally unintelligent and petty.

"Marissa, having the unbridled realizations of gradeschool philosophers, realizes that humans are all equal. And as she looks toward the destruction, she sees, in the hazy distance, Megatron and Soundwave just shooting to death the millions of people. She won't forget this."

Cut to X years later. She forgets it. "Oh sure, I'll listen to you Soundwave. Just following orders, I get it."

CONTROVERSIAL ARGUMENT ALERT: Galvatron's new tanky mode: big fan. I know it's an unpopular opinion and I'll stand my ground. It looks neat, and I'd buy it. Fore more than a dollar. For twenty. I guess, thirty, because that's what Voyagers cost here. And that's the size I'd like it in. (I really like how his gun is purple (easter purple) with orange highlights.)

It has been said a trillion times, so throw my voice into the bucket of drops: Galvatron is literally threatening to incinerate these people as Soundwave says "No, wait, you got us wrong." This makes no sense on any levels, from anyone, and makes everyone look absolutely stupid. "At my signal, Decepticon forces can annihilate-" "We are no longer the monsters you faced."

Imagine if a noted war criminal said "Our previous encounters did not end well, and I apologize." and that was enough to have you listen to them? What in the world?

I'd imagine the United States (Steaks?) has more than three stealth nuclear submarines right now. In a time of fight-the-robots, you'd think they'd have all of them. I guess some could have been destroyed in AHM.

ARF ARF ARF!

Dog Rant:

The leader of the Earth Defense Force is just holding this dog. Like it's the most normal thing. And it's barking the whole time. AND PEOPLE ARE RESPONDING TO THE DOG? Like, good Lord, put the dog down?

I wonder if "Quirky Thundercracker and the Yippy Dog" is a kind of response to MTMTE. "Here is a wacky character with a humanlike affectation? It's similar to Trailcutter getting drunk a lot, but it's a cute dog!"

And Marissa, shouts, to the dog: "Shut up, Buster - I can handle this." What? Also, does Thundercracker really need to tell anyone "She doesn't have anything to do with this?" In addition to just being an awful line of dialogue, of course she doesn't? Does anyone think she does? Does Thundercracker think people think she does? This is literally insane. Thundercracker isn't slow, I don't think. (Do Transformers have developmental disabilities? Certainly not the same way that humans do. Warpath's cartoon speech impediment comes to mind.)

GRRRRRRRR

Kup uses "those," "they," "they," "think," "these" in the same sentence he can't pronounce "Earth."

Optimus literally makes as reasonable a case to the humans to not fight them as Soundwave did pages earlier, but I guess the conceit of this series is "Decepticons + Humans vs. Autobots" and we need that to manifest a) as quickly as it can and b) however coincidentally it can so we'll just ignore Prime for the moment.

"I have a video of one of your guys killing one human. I also have news footage, destroyed cities, abandoned cities, mass graves, memorials and memories of pulling rich jerks out of toppled wall street to prove the Decepticons killed a bunch of guys, but hey, you know what they say about one death being a tragedy and a bunch being statistics."

WOURF WOURF!

Optimus jumps really quickly into the fight: "Well, we can't reasonably convince this human lady of our intentions, so I guess we'll just prove her right and fight."

Optimus: "No human casualties!"
    Galvatron: "Execute these fools!"

And Marissa listens to the latter. She's a top-notch strategic mind, that's for sure.

Okay, great news, everybody: Jetfire has a dumb pet now, too. Just like a dog.

FLEEEEAP!

At least he kinda reminds me of those weird fat robots from Disney's The Black Hole. I really liked that movie as a kid. I had bedsheets with them on it. The robots, I mean. I think. The two dumpy ones and then that big red guy that kills the dude from Psycho. SPOILERS!11!

TROOONT / GUOONT / JOOONP (Like, is this robot just here so Jetfire can explain what is going on to the audience?) (Roberts would replace this stupid robot with an actual character - with substance, and an interesting relationship with jetfire and they could talk and still do this stupid freezespray bit at the same time.)

I do really like Jetfire's alternate face being used. I am not a fan of his R2-D2. I also like how these Microbots seem to kinda be a response to Bayformers? Like, here is a thing that looks like the things from those movies: SKRUNCH. Also, I might say that the Constructicons eating up these microbots is pretty much the best thing ever. Like, is it like a dude eating fleas? Because that's great. Or mice, I guess. Which is gross.

HOWWWWE! HOWWWWE!

"All your sonic blaster's doing is driving the dog nuts!" Well, I suppose a reasonable thing to do would be to remit the dog to the care of it's owner and/or let it go somewhere else.

No, the dialogue between Jazz and Laserbeak when they're fighting is probably worse than the worst IDW has been (lowlights: Costa, AHM, etc.) I am not entirely sure this isn't an editorial mandate to either simplify things or dumb it down because an expected influx of readership from the movies? I'd hope not. (It makes a little sense, though, because Galvatron is apparently in this new movie, and here he is being the leader of the Earth-based Decepticons, etc.)

Blitzwing describes this comic succinctly: "You're a walking cliche, moron."

WARF WARF!

(I really do like the intimation that Prowl considered Bumblebee his best friend.) In fact: I like most of the Prowl stuff. The politics of Prowl considering the Earth mission a mistake / strategy with Prime / etc. That stuff was 2000% more interesting than GenericFight 2014, but it was two pages of the whole story. To be fair, though, if we handwave the incredibly dumb human/Decepticon alliance and like, how absymal a character Marissa is, we might head into some interesting territory with Prowl & Devastator pressing the Decepticons into public spotlight, maybe there's a minor power struggle between Prowl and Prime, etc, who knows?

So, although not without blemishes, I give it an 9.9/10.

"United Steaks of America." Good gravy.

HRUF.

Snort.

11. shadowsfm

shadowsfm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

12. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If this isn't the answer already, then it should be.

I kept waiting for the Decepticons to, like, OFFER the EDC something.

In the same way that Optimus' nominal alliance with an element of the US military is IMO a very small asset in his corner, Jazz killing that one dude should be an infinitesimal liability in the Autobots' corner. Do they not have the right to self-defense? Who cares about that fucker?

Jazz being baited by Laserbeak = good, Fairborne bitching to Jazz' face = lame. Jesus, she has Frenzy on her team, leave Jazz alone.

The core problem with these two issues--and it's a problem that even with all his myriad faults Costa DIDN'T have--is that there are no fewer than three distinct factions of Transformers that all have more definition and a greater number of important characters than the whole of the human race appears to have so far. It's the opposite of the Michael Bay films (which doesn't make it good).

Yes, it's challenging to write humans-Autobots-Decepticons and make the first two sympathetic and all three with well-developed ideologies and conflicts, but that's the basic responsibility of a Transformers writer who wants to play on Earth.

13. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    Er... I know WHY Kup says the word "Lad", I'm saying the way it is inserted breaks the flow of dialogue for him to say it the way he does, "Get in close, Lad, so they can't get a clean shot!"

Wouldn't: "Get in close so they can't get a clean shot" or even "Get in close lad, that way they can't get a clean shot!" just sound better all around?

14. Sockie

Sockie Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't think Kup telling Jazz to get in close so they can't get a clean shot sounds better. =P

15. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    Doh!

Well that's evidently not what I meant to type. *Edits*.

16. ArmedonLSD

ArmedonLSD Well-Known Member

THIS!! I was amazed that Barber wants us to buy that a person can go from protester to practically ambassador of Earth/cybertronian relations. What inspired this? Oh yea she once saw a transformer!

Every line of dialogue Galvatron has said since the start of DC has made me cringe.

Also, I guess Whirl was the only Bot on the list of Cybertronians who shouldn't be on Earth that Prime couldn't get. BTW, Skylynx ( although the most legendary Autobot of all time ) is not good camouflage.

My highlights

1) Jetfire and R2-D2 was awesome. Laughed out load on the lines "a cursory examination reveals..." and also at the obvious star wars nod w/ the line " okay yeah fine it'll be JUST like spraying for Belvadurian rockmites"

2) Prowl and the Constructions was the saving grace of this issue! No need to discuss... we all like it. Great to see the Devastator itch getting scratched. But fair warning, Prowls endgame needs to be detailed and explained well. It's hard to say whether Prowls is trying to impress Prime or purposely obstruct his authority.

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  17. shadowsfm

News Credits:
    oh, costa is back in writing transformers? no wait, costa made the humans smart enough to put inhibitor chips in the bots before making deals with them

i saw that and inconsistencies like that just piss me off.

and i think the ink work in this issue is clumsy

thundercracker with the dog reminds me of c-3po clumsily dodging blasters

i like the cast, it has been a long time since jazz has done anything and kup and arcee have geat alt modes (i seen a truck just like kup today driving in the streets, i didn't get the chance to take a picture)

i do agree that doc reminds me of the robots in black hole

usually i hate characters that peep and chirp rather than talk. but it has always worked for r2-d2 and doc pulls it off too.

cant wait to get leader class jetfire

i was shocked prowl brought devastator into the mix and hopes he commits suicide by face palm. ok fine i'll wait and see how things turn out before making judgement

[​IMG]

18. Sockie

Sockie Veteran

News Credits:
    It's not an inconsistency. Long Haul and all of the other Constructicons got new Earth bodies that are more in scale with what they should be.

19. shadowsfm

News Credits:
    so they get taller? i thought they already had earth modes since all hail megatron

20. ArmedonLSD

ArmedonLSD Well-Known Member

I Didn't find it inconsistent since in AHM devastator was Humungous.