RID #29 Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Mechafire, May 28, 2014.

1. GWolfv2

GWolfv2 Deathsaurus - A name you can trust for peace

News Credits:

I will say sadly, RID is currently lagging a bit behind the other two

2. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I don't think that's sad at all. MTMTE has always been a superior book; it's written phenomenally. Windblade is also coming on strong (although I wouldn't put it ahead of RID just yet).

I've re-read some of the criticisms of this issue and I understand them. I still feel the payoff for this story arc is going to be well worth it, so we may need to judge the entire story rather than a standalone issue (unfortunately we can't do that right now so I again understand people's disappointments with 29).

3. Prime_Directive

Prime_Directive less than meets the eye

News Credits:
    Love the Soundwave/Galvatron dynamic and the Prime/Prowl dynamic. They mirror each other really well, even if they're not 100% identical.

Prowl really is a genius though. I mean, it's right there in Marissa's flashback: Devastator, front and center.

4. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ok, before anyone says anything, mea maxima culpa, alright?

I was sure there was another layer to what Fairborne was doing. Turns out she's just a fuckwit. Time for some serious damage control on that character because at the end of the issue she feels both weak and flippant about her own deadly mistakes. The only thing that can remotely excuse her alliance is the fact that the Decepticons apparently called ahead, whereas the Autobots, critically, chose to "infiltrate" once again. Still, demanding that the 'bots surrender TO THE DECEPTICONS was pretty brutal if she knows half as much as she'd like to think she does about Decepticons, not to mention it weakened her own position by essentially calling out that the EDC was the junior partner in that little alliance.

Optimus Prime puts in a strong showing in this issue. From refusing to fold this time when confronted by Earth-based military opposition, to realizing that the Decepticons were trying to goad the Autobots into weakening their position by killing humans (at least that's what I'll call it, the dialogue was a little weak), he's a far cry from the nigh-useless Costa-Optimus or the still-tormented Orion Pax.

Prowl totally got the drop on everyone, didn't he? He manipulated Optimus and outfoxed Galvatron, plus cemented his authority over the Constructicons...not bad for one issue! As a fan of "asshole Prowl," I approve and I hope his character is going off in a new direction. Instead of being basically Optimus Prime's "Starscream," he could maybe go off in his own direction.

Highlights and little things: "the United Steaks is going to blow you to the Afterspark!," Soundwave's new alt mode, and Thundercracker getting to be the only one with an ounce of sense. Oh and the Constructicons being gung ho to go on the Lost Light.

Other issues: I can't figure why everybody thinks Alpha Trion is on Earth. This plot element is still frustratingly opaque to me. And I find it a little hard to believe that Earth is the ONLY surviving world that the Cybertronians have fought on, considering how many worlds you'd think would have been at Phase 1-4 when the Surge hit. Also it didn't look like Thunderwing had time to destroy Nebulos any more thoroughly than the Decepticons trashed Earth.

5. YoungPrime

YoungPrime DJD Recruit

News Credits:
    Hmm....how does that usually play out?

6. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My guess Constructicons being big fan of Prowl want to Lost Light because of Chromedome. Constructicons love Prowl hate Chromedome. Thundercracker basically wants his new home planet alone outside of Autobots and Decepticons.

7. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    For me not terribly sexy. Usually in the fantasy, Paris Hilton and I come up with an idea to use her name to sell candy bars or fitness mats, and then we both get rich(er). :/

8. AdyCarter

AdyCarter Mentalist Conspiracies

Because he told Windblade to tell Prime that's where he was going?

9. Sockie

Sockie Veteran

News Credits:
    Because Alpha Trion told Optimus to come to Earth, and there's not much reason to think he's not there and just left the Autobots out to dry.

10. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ok, and I guess the 'cons got out ahead of them with that intelligence (thanks Ravage). But why the hell is TRION on Earth?

11. Sockie

Sockie Veteran

News Credits:
    Not necessarily, the Cons might have come without knowing anything of Trion.

I think Trion being there is most certainly tied to the "holy grail" he was searching for.

12. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Prowl is the best character in the whole of RiD. Whatever he plans or actually does, for whatever reason, its compelling reading. Looking forward to the Prime vs. Prowl fight in a later issue (going by the cover).

Cartoon Marissa was a far better character.

The issue was enjoyable. Still in setting up for things to come, but at least its better than RG1's set-up issues.

13. Stryker055

Stryker055 History Man Extraordinare

I feel like breaking this issue down a bit:

• Galvatron's presence just doesn't work here. It's very clear that Soundwave can handle negotiations and making himself appear benevolent pretty well, and then there's barbarian warlord next to him yelling about fighting and generally hampering appearances. Galvatron would've been a great Decepticon leader for any story but this one. Maybe Soundwave is using him for some ulterior motive, but I just can't see it.

• The EDC/Decepticon alliance is still as frustratingly moronic as the last issue, because no matter how the comic tries to justify it, it just doesn't make sense. Jazz killed a guy... who was holding Bumblebee at gunpoint. This (already a bit dumb because of how it played out) plot point is being flaunted so much as a big reason why humans hate Autobots, but it's not enough. Apparently all humans have lost the ability to reason, and Soundwave is taking advantage of it. Again, maybe we'll find out some other purpose that justifies the whole thing, but it needs to come soon.

• Barber's dialogue is... rough. Some of it is good, but it mostly just feels entirely unnatural. Everything Kup says comes off as just weird and unfitting, and more or less everything Marissa says loses its weight when Barber tries to throw something comical in, like everything with the damn dog. It seems like he's trying to match Roberts-levels of snarky wit/serious dialogue balance, but he's not quite good enough to manage it. The story itself should be much more serious than how it's trying to portray itself.

• I like Prowl a whole lot so far. He's getting his edge back that he kind of lost earlier in RID, and that sob story he told Prime was well-played. Once this book really starts becoming Prowl vs. Optimus, I think we'll see some good stuff. I'm interested to see what his actual motives are, though. I very much like the Constructicons and their fratboy-like personalities. Strange that they've turned their back on the Decepticons entirely just because they like Prowl so much, though. Hopefully we'll get some better reasoning from them at some point.

• As far as other things go, Jetfire and DOC are a fun (if a bit odd) pair, Optimus's "ah, fuck it, let's just fight 'em" decision was a little strange, Marissa Faireborn's character is a total mess, Cosmos is still fun to see, I still like all the new designs, especially Galvatron and Soundwave, and Thundercracker is still the star of the show and the only one in the book with any amount of common sense.

RID season 2 is having a very shaky start. Here's hoping it can find some stable ground in the next issue.

14. power3921

power3921 Well-Known Member

So, what is Soundwave's new altmode?

15. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    An earth redesign of his FoC design.

16. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    In the Constructicons introduction, Long Haul looks HUGE.

17. Sockie

Sockie Veteran

News Credits:
    Here's a thought:

The Decepticon facsimiles from the -ations that infiltrated the U.S. government were never found out, and as far as we know, are still there. Could the Cons have used them to pull strings and make sure this alliance happened?

18. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    Re: why Galvatron's there, it strikes me that he's the figurehead Soundwave needs to actually keep a handle on the troops. We saw what happened last time he tried to assert his authority, after all - the only reason he had any real command during Dark Cybertron was the threat of Shockwave.

19. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    That makes sense, Galvatron is just there to inspire the troops while Soundwave gives the orders.

20. MechaV

MechaV Not as bad as you think.

News Credits:
    ...so a truck?