RID #29 Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Mechafire, May 28, 2014.

1. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    Who is this "Costa" you speak of, I don't recall any such person having an affect on Transformers :p 

Yeah, I kind of am. I think where we fall out is that since the Constructicons have been depicted as one for so long that I don't quite think it "sucks" that they are this way, but that it's just... expected. Barber is basically living up to the status quo with what these characters have been for so long. Yeah it can be better but at the same time the ENTIRE PLOT can be better, because the story Barber is trying to put together places the Constructicons into this role of the plot device --that they've been in since the beginning of time (1984)-- I don't necessarily feel like THAT much is lost by having them the way they are. I feel like if Barber tries to make any inner conflict or anything between them now, it would just come off as pointless pandering. But hey ''maybe'' he has something like that planned (he doesn't). Until I see Long-Haul doing a Mixmaster-esque job, I don't really think it'll that big of a deal to me in terms of tarnishing personalities.

Noooo. I think EVERY character has the potential to be great. I just think for the Constructicons to become properly interesting it would require them to be put into a different light. Have Scavenger leave and join the Scavengers, hell even just have him chat with Sideswipe or Jazz for a change, one-on-one. THAT's what'll show they are individuals, but when put into the context Barber has them in it doesn't require them to be any more than a group of thugs. But if it bothers you, it's more or less an issue with where he wants the story to go involving Prowl and Devastator than with the characters themselves.

This is why I hate combiners.

Yeah, if you can't already tell. I have little expectations for Barber, especially right now. Trying to differentiate between them while still staying true to what story you're trying to tell only brings up the whole dialogue thing. Why bother change how they sound if it brings nothing to the table plot-wise?

Yeah, you can tell Barber is trying to add all the 'cool' characters this season in case it wasn't obvious enough with Cosmos. I'm not against this or anything, but I definitely agree that he seems a little hesitant about using Sky-Lynx because of it. He's supposed to be this epic fighter but using him in battle would make things end too quickly. In fact the entire Autobot team is full of winners so to speak, they've got Devastator, Prowl, Kup, Sky-Lynx... if they weren't trying to stay as 'Robots in Disguise', they could easily just smoosh Galvatron and leave.

It's why I feel Sky-Lynx would be better if he were smaller... bigger than Prime but small enough that he can potentially be overwhelmed by Galvatron.

No kidding, when Furman answered that one-on one, Optimus Prime would've been able to kill Sixshot if there weren't any humans around, I slapped myself in the forehead. Suddenly everything just became more confusing.

I have to admit, it was hard for me to stomach that Nicholas Cage was good in a role (or two) at one point in time.

Yeah, it gave me a glimmer of hope that he was aware of his mistakes well enough to go down the right track this time. The shockingly positive reaction to #28 in general said good things about the series, even if I personally didn't like it much more than #29... if people were liking it then hey another series is getting recognition. But now it just goes to show that he's less confident than it initially seems.

This could absolutely be the case. Though whenever I read his work he has that same kind of vibe that mtmte does. Characters like Windsweeper and Pounce are given a small degree of focus, even just by appearing in the background over the more prominent characters, the dialogue is usually colourful, and the stories make perfect sense. He MADE Prowl what he is today, not to mention he actually gave Megatron a legitimate reason not to kill Starscream. Maybe having him do a miniseries like Windblade would be a good idea. I had a dream that "Transformers: Starscream" as a sequel mini to Windblade was a thing, and I think it would be absolutely awesome if it was done by Nick. Or better yet, "Transformers: Rodimus", have him right at home.

2. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    wait what

Welllll that's basically contradicted by Robertsian canon as of now.

But not exactly inconsistent with his stand against Thunderwing.

3. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Yeah, I think the early precepts of Furman's run included the idea that Megatron and Prime were basically superheroes... tactical nukes in the CYbertronian conflict. Even so, with all the talking up Sixshot's abilities got, with his "dark matter" armour and planet-beating abilities... it does seem a bit surprising.

At the time, I liked the fact that Sixshot and Prime's battle was inconclusive. Since MTMTE though... looks like UUT warriors are a whole different class.

That said, I think Prime and Megs still have that wildcard quality, like any good superhero. We may find out soon enough if Megs ends up facing Tarn...

zmog

4. GingerSynapse

GingerSynapse Well-Known Member

I am so late to this party, been out of town and just picked up my subs of RID and Windblade.

So disappoint, for all the reasons expressed, and far more eloquently than I could pull out right now. I can't buy into this script at all, absolutely nothing about it makes sense.

I do want to see something awful happen to that stupid dog, just to see TC lose his mind and start killing everything.

Ok not really. Maybe.

I'm not out yet, but man...this was so bad.

Seeing Prowlastator splash at the end was almost worth it though. Almost.

5. gregles

gregles quintesson

This earlier talk of sky lynx being wasted so far and being sidelined as an overpowered transport flying dragon/cat thing got me really wishing he would have been in mtmte as he could have had so many awesome one liners and we would have got to see how his over the top personality got along with the likes of megatron, swerve, rung, brainstorm, whirl. Soo many possibilities sigh :( 

6. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Sky Lynx in MTMTE.

I don't think our bodies would be prepared for that.

7. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran

News Credits:
    I am going to absolutely torch this series if literally the only thing Sky Lynx is used for is "transportation".

8. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    My pitchfork is at the ready.

9. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    I don't think MTMTE would be ready for that. MTMTE is supposed to be filled with losers. Sky-Lynx is literally too good for it.

I think it's a little soon to say he's been sidelined, but it's obvious he'll be held back due to being too OP.

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    But that's what makes Sky-Lynx great! If he was a normal-powered egomaniac bird/cat thing that'd be one thing, but being huge and powerful means he's not just amusing, he's badass!

11. keiwaiyin

keiwaiyin KeiWaiYin

There is nothing in this issue

12. Gridlock1987

Gridlock1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure there are some letters. And some lines, that if you look closely, may form shapes and stuff.

13. shadowsfm

shadowsfm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    nope, there is a bug where all the pages are blank

14. SMOG

Exactly. Or conversely, he's also the only TF super-heavyweight class mega-warrior who actually has a personality. All the other combiners and giants are variations on big dumb thugs with limited emotive qualities. Sky Lynx is not only smart, he also has a genuinely quirky persona. AND he's a bizarre space-dragon duocon thing.

And there's this, possibly one of my favourite (and most often ignored) details about Skylynx...
    Not only is he a giant space-dragon-cat-bird with the megalomania and tally-ho optimism of a British colonial adventurer... not only is he possibly one of the single most powerful TFs in existence... but he's also one of the highest ranked officers in the Autobot hierarchy.

Put all that together, and you get something so odd and so idiosyncratic that it has to be awesome! :D 

zmog

15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Yes. Most of the big guys have some kind of generic one-track mind. Or are like Metro-titans where they're so "enigmatic" and stuff they end up coming across as entirely unedeveloped at all.

And yeah, what happened to him being high-ranking? Sometimes RID feels a bit like only Optimus and a few 1984 bots have any kind of command.

Or at least only normal people can be in command. Remember when Ratbat held a command position in Marvel? Well he did in IDW... except he looked like a normal person, and as soon as he was turned into a bat he lost all power.

Remember kids, if you're different, you will never have the respect of or command over others. :'(

16. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    Finally got around to reading this issue. Holy hell that was bad. Really, really bad. Monumentally, stupidly bad. The dialogue, sheesh. The characters motivations and reasonings, awful. Just really terrible all around. The only thing that redeemed it slightly was Jetfire and his little buddy, that was quite cute. The rest, craptacular. even the character and previously pages. MTMTE manages to fit almost an entire bio for twice as many characters, and Swerves recap last issue was hilarious. RID we get and incredibly dry recap and 'Warrior' 'Transport' etc. I'm giving this series 3 more issues, if this mess isn't sorted into something not so ridiculous by then I'm dropping it. Very disappointed.

17. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    Oh hell yes! I remember seeing that for the first time and going, "Huh, Weird how high up there he is." followed by giggling upon imagining a round-table meeting of Autobot Commanders and just having Sky-Lynx there trying to squeeze in. Alas, It'd be pretty difficult to add him in the high command now, but at this point I think anything would beat "Transportation." :lol 

I still think he'd be as difficult as fuck to write though, to make his egomania a crippling weakness without making him an idiot is a difficult thing, which is why I'd just nerf him a bit to get him to fit in. I think he used to be a bit smaller in one of RiD's first issues anyhow.

Yikes, I really want to argue against this, but you're right.

I think the "Autobot High Command" Is/Was made up of Optimus Prime, Rodimus, Ultra Magnus, Bumblebee and Prowl. And Maayyyyybe Ratchet.

I kind of wish we could have something more reminiscent of Eugenesis, where the Autobot High Command was made up of folks like Mirage, Red Alert and Siren as well.

I wish we could see some more Decepticon leaders too. What ever happened to Banzaitron or Gutcruncher? Those were powerful-ish guys, they had potential to be leaders in their one or two appearances... probably? Well, Overlord is living proof of the potential in using a villain who hasn't had any sort of past development, and Tarn is popular enough, I'm certain there are more Cons out there that could shine if given the chance.

That was one of the highlights in Marvel for me, hell, if given time Krok could have become leader at some point after Bludgeon.

18. SMOG

Yeah... his rank is even notable for being corroborated not only in his Tech Specs, but also his Function and again in the text of his bio.

I always saw it as a sort of honorary rank. For some reason I saw Sky Lynx as some kind of outsider in the war... maybe almost literally a Cybertronian "dragon" who had been enticed to fight for the Autobots, whose rank was basically given to him in order to cater to his ego and self-importance. :) 

I remember him still being pretty big in that RID issue... though not quite as big as Omega Supreme.

I think that kind of character is James Roberts' bread and butter... being self-obsessed, boisterous and high-handed, he would fit in rather well with MTMTE's merry band of sociopaths and neurotics. In this title though... hm.

I think that if you take a sojourn through the old G1 bios, you can find all sorts of interesting characters who would actually fit in as top bots in the Autobot power structure... and considering how many bots there are, and how spread out their organization was in early IDW, it would make sense that there would be a number of high-ranking functionaries and officers.

But Split also raises an interesting point... how far are we really from the old days of the Functionists? Granted Laserbeak and Ravage actually get some dialogue from time to time nowadays, but rarely do they get to do anything important. Barber established the idea that cassettes and beast-formers were basically a sub-race of domesticated slaves, but now millions of years on, STILL none of these guys seem to have any status. The only beast/cassette with any clout was Ratbat, and even that was just carried forward from his old status as a Senator.

Meanwhile, back in the old Marvel G1, Ratbat was in charge just because he WAS. He wasn't a former senator. He wasn't a humanoid trapped in a bat-body. He was just smart and ambitious.

Also, Trypticon was able to carry on reasonably eloquent elitist supervillain banter, instead of just "GRONK! GRRAAAAAR!!! SHRIEEEK! ROAAAAAAR!!!" ;) 

zmog

19. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    You make a point. I think I'll retract my statement of him being too good for MTMTE since his skills lie in fighting and well, Fighting isn't really the main source of conflict in MTMTE.

I DO think it's more interesting to see some sort of intolerance towards cassettes in the future if they are given a larger role at all, and now that Ravage is in James' hands I imagine he'll be done justice.

As for Trypticon, I had forgotten what he was like. But hey with a spark in him maybe we'll see some more of that personality... maybe. Wherever he is.

20. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's a shame the rank system was not fleshed out, aside from a few charts in MarvelUK. Unlike every other function, Lieutenant Commander is a highly specific naval rank used in much of the Western world (it denotes a relatively high-ranking junior officer and is the equivalent of the army Major).

It's hard to get a sense of a lot of the dribs and drabs of positional/organizational information out there. If Starscream is the "Air Commander" of the Decepticons, who are essentially a nation, that would make him a three or four star general, minimally. Red Alert is a "Security Director," if that's "...of the Autobots," then he's a top-ranked senior officer OR a civilian executive with high authority. "Espionage Director" Goldbug is like the head of the CIA. But Ultra Magnus, the "City Commander"? That sounds like a much lower position, perhaps equivalent to a brigadier (low-ranked flag officer). Prowl and Shockwave also have functions connoting immense authority...and yet they were used as parts of the essentially expendable strike teams that wound up exiled on Earth for four million years per Marvel.

Meanwhile, another rare reference to a real-world rank is "Sergeant Kup," which has been used as the toy name for Kup lately. This indicates a high- or very-high ranking NCO.

Kup an NCO, Sky Lynx a line officer, and Ultra Magnus a flag officer? Did those three really seem THAT far apart in rank?

More to the point, the sporadic use of real ranks may in fact be the problem, not the solution. The kind of formations that a flag officer is responsible for in the real-world are likely to contain more individuals that the number of Cybertronians that, demonstrably, exists. Moreover the Autobots are less organized than GIJoe--formations are small and totally ad-hoc, everyone is a generalist, and complicating things further, there is no distinction between soldier and vehicle! Can you become an artillery officer if you turn into an artillery piece? Or is that in fact required?

tl;dr yeah Sky Lynx is an anomaly and I spent way too long trying to make the Autobot Order of Battle make sense before deciding it was probably an entirely incoherent concept in this case.