RiD 2015 Decepticon design analysis/predictions

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by LegoTFGuy, Oct 7, 2014.

1. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

Those were only shown in Japan. Technically if you want to go by Japanese shows, Car Robots had no Optimus or Megatron either but oh wait they did because Flame Convoy was Optimus Prime and Gigatron was Megatron. By the way, Optimus and Galvatron were in fact in Headmasters. I believe Optimus was killed off... AGAIN... and Rodimus took over AGAIN... but Optimus was there. It doesn't really matter that they're not called Optimus and Megatron in Japan. They always get renamed when they come to the U.S. anyway. In Masterforce, Ginrai was clearly Optimus Prime. I'm guessing Overlord would of been Megatron. For Victory, Victory Saber would of been Optimus Prime, Deathsaurus would of been Megatron. Beast Wars II Lio Convoy would of been another Optimus and there was already a Galvatron for that series... plus his brother Megastorm would of most likely been called Megatron in the U.S. making it the only series where Megatron and Galvatron are two different characters. Finally Beast Wars Neo, Big Convoy would be Optimus and Magmatron would be Megatron. You're making the assumption that because they had different names in Japan that there wouldn't of been any Optimus or Megatron if they had come to the U.S. But they never actually came to the U.S. so all of these assumptions are meaningless anyway. They don't even count.

Also I've seen a couple sneak peak clips but neither of them show anyone talking. They have the same music playing in both previews, no dialog what so ever.

2. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Hadar Sen Olmen

3. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

I never seen these before but OH MY GAWD DID GRIMLOCK JUST SPEAK NORMALLY INSTEAD OF SAYING "ME GRIMLOCK" IN EVERY SENTENCE? BEST GRIMLOCK EVER! Well technically RID Grimlock spoke normally as well but he wasn't a Dinobot... That is also a very confusing sentence consider both these shows are called Robots in Disguise. The original RID Grimlock, the one who was part of the Autobot build team.

How are we actually distinguishing between the series adapted from Car Robots and the series following Prime? I don't know how I'm suppose to refer to RID Grimlock in a way where you actually know which Grimlock I'm talking about. There are two RID Grimlocks, this is confusing. It could be even more confusing if we were also talking about the comic title Robots in Disguise which has nothing to do with either of these series. In which case there are three RID Grimlocks. Oh my head hurts, I don't know how to talk anymore.

Also doesn't this further disprove the continuity with WfC/FoC considering Grimlock was an Autobot in the games and is now being portrayed as a Decepticon who switched allegiance? Grimlock was never a Decepticon before so how could he switch sides to a side he was already on? Not to mention that in FoC Grimlock is portrayed closer to his G1 "Me Grimlock" speaking counterpart. So how does he go from being an idiot that talks in the third person to talking to in the first person within what is suppose to be the same continuity? They're suppose to be the same character but obviously aren't.

4. Skottech

Skottech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Distinguishing:
    I don't know about others but I have used "RiD 2015" when I think it would cause confusion to just type "RiD"
    On Grimlock:
    A popular theory is he had amnesia of some sort Here's a thread about that very discussion.

5. EnergonWaffles

EnergonWaffles Autobot's Head Chef Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Well, there wasn't much to prove in the first place. Hasbro has already explained how they handle connections between media in the Aligned continuity. Each piece of media shares the same basic plot points, and the rest is allowed to change to serve the story being told.
    This might be a horrible analogy- but it's like building a neighborhood of houses. Aligned is the block of concrete under each house, providing the same basic foundation for the story. But you can build whatever you want on top of that foundation.

So it probably is Grimlock. But Grimlock having amnesia and talking in 1st person made for a better story for this piece of media (in their opinion), so that's what they did.

8am and no coffee in my system- but hope that helps a little Saber.

6. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    I kinda like some of the Con designs but I worry that the vast majority of them will be beastly monsters (perhaps suffering from the Bayverse villain syndrome where they were mostly growling, snarling, drooling monsters with zero personality) and thus the show will suffer from a "monster-of-the-week" gotta-catch-em-all format.

I want some important named Cons to show up in RID, and maybe some old faces like Starscream, Shockwave, or Soundwave. I want story arcs that stretch over several episodes. I want character development. I'm just hoping I'm not setting my expectations so high that I'll be disappointed with the reality.

7. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

Well it is a horrible analogy because every Transformers series ever made has been built on the same foundation. Doesn't mean they're all the same house. The house you live in is not the same house your neighbors live in.

That's basically what I was saying earlier in my first post though you said it a lot better than I did.

8. EnergonWaffles

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Thats not even in the ballpark of the point I was making, so nevermind then lol

Although- no, they don't all have the exact same foundation of plot points. Optimus' origins, the reasons for the war starting, who made them, what a Prime is, the mythology, and more...can change dramatically depending on which continuity you're looking at.

---------------------------------------

Well there is one perk to them being beasties with a car/truck mode. At least they can believably hide on Earth.

How Grimlock will manage that remains to be seen.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  9. Ironhide1234

Ironhide1234 Here.

News Credits:
    I love this.

10. EnergonWaffles

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    If that came across as rude, apologies. It wasn't intended to be rude at all.

11. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

That's exactly my point. They are all on the same foundation because they're all Transformers. Optimus has different origins in WfC/FoC and Prime. The reasons for the war starting... well they actually never even give a reason in most continuities so I'm going to ignore that one. Who made them is also never addressed most of the time. It's usually either the Quintessons or Primus. And in G1 it was both depending comics or the cartoons so that doesn't make it a different continuity. What a Prime is in Prime actually seems to be the same as in G1. You get the Matrix, you're a Prime. Same with the games. That doesn't mean G1 is the same. There are dramatic changes within the Aligned continuity that are equal to the changes between any other continuity. There are also similarities in the aligned continuity that are equal to similarities in any other continuity. Just being similar doesn't mean they're the same. Every continuity is similar.

Optimus Prime was originally known as Orion Pax. This is also true in G1 so according to Aligned continuity rules, this means they're the same.

Bumblebee lost his voice box to Megatron. This is also true in the live action films so according to Aligned continuity rules, this means they're the same.

Starscream tried to join the Autobots. This is also true in the Unicron Trilogy so according to aligned continuity rules this means they're the same.

Bulkhead is based off his Animated counterpart which by aligned continuity rules means they're the same character.

The new series is called Robots in Disguise and they both have a normal speaking Grimlock which by aligned continuity rules means they're the same continuity.

See how easy it is to find similarities with any Transformers continuity. Aligned basically ignores that any differences even exist and says they're connected anyway because we said so.

12. EnergonWaffles

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    We're making two separate points, Saber. That's not at all what I'm saying.
    It's just best to move along if we're not on the same page.

13. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

It was once said that Grimlocks manner of speaking was a speech impediment caused by as glitch in his vocal processor.

so,its possible that the glitch was corrected.
    fyi, G1 Dreamwave comics had its Grimlock join the decepticons for a short while

Actually, that was in the g1 cartoon, not the g1 comic

may I ask how you came to the conclusion that similarities in events and characters equates to the continuities being the same and I

14. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The purple guy, reminds me a little of that shark guy on Lilo and Stich

15. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

I just noticed something else kind of odd...

The first look preview shows them on Cybertron already having Earth vehicle modes before the Ghost of Optimus Prime sends them to Earth? This makes sense for Bumblebee considering he's been there before but how do Side Swipe and Strongarm already have Earth modes? And then why does Strongarm clearly scan a vehicle she can already turn into?

This is worse than having Earth vehicle kibble clearly visible in robot mode because at least then they didn't show them transforming into Earth vehicles. G1 Bumblebee clearly had VW Bug parts on Cybertron but transformed into what looked like a tiny version of the Ark. In this series it doesn't even look like they're even trying to hide the fact they have no Cybertronian character models. So what's the point of scanning Earth modes? You could of just said they've all been there before and been done with it but now we have characters clearly scanning vehicles they already transform into. It seems like the only reason for scanning vehicles is so Bumblebee can say the name of the series. "We have to be Robots in Disguise" really? I thought they worked "More than meets the eye" into the dialog of the first movie better than that. There's obviously no reason for Bumblebee to say that. It was just poorly inserted into his dialog.

I really like Grimlock but so far he's the only good part of this series. Granted this is all speculation at this point. Maybe those scenes of being in Earth modes on Cybertron actually take place after they go to Earth. Just the way it's edited makes it seem like it takes place before they go to Earth. Will have to wait till the series actually airs to find out if this is really as bad as it looks. I mean the trailers for all the live action films look a lot better than the actual movies do. Especially the first one considering you don't find out till you actually see the movie that almost every scene is actually from the end of the movie. They edited those trailers so you don't realize how little screen time the Transformers actually have. AoE did the same thing with the Dinobots. The trailers show the Dinobots all the time, the actual movie has almost nothing to do with them. This would just be a reverse case where the trailers look like crap but maybe the actual series won't be as bad as they're making it look. I really hope that's the case, because I really want to be wrong. It looks like crap, I don't want it to actually be crap.

16. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

I never mentioned the comic so what's your point? It's not really a secret that I don't follow the comics. I'll mention what little I do know about them from time to time but for the most part if I don't specifically mention them you should always just assume I'm talking about the cartoon.

Because according to Hasbro the Aligned continuity is all the same because they have similar events. That's the argument that always comes up against any argument that they should be different continuities. Every continuity has similarities so by that logic everything from G1 to now is all part of Aligned.

17. Altered Prime

Fire Convoy, not "Flame' Convoy.
    Optimus was only in Headmasters for 2 or 3 episodes, Galvatron had more appearances

only in appearance
    the story goes out of its way to specify that Ginrai is most certainly a different character then "Convoy" [Optimus]

Not the only series

IDW's g1 series of comics has Megatron and Galvatron as 2 different characters
    same goes for Bumblebee and Goldbug

Those beast wars series, sand many of the characters did indeed come to the US, in the form of comic books from IDW

And the Optimus looking characters kept their Japanese names.
    You said "G1", you didnt state which.
    If you dont want questions to your post, I suggest you clarify which one you mean when you post it.

I'll keep that in mind for the future:thumb 

I know, Hasbro is trying to say a round peg can fit into a square hole, but they arent saying that similarities in every continuity makes all of them 1 continuity, they are just trying to force it all together.

I am not fully versed in the Aligned continuity issues, some seem very minor, others large
    But adding g1 to the mix defies any logic.

18. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

Yup I made mistake. Flame Convoy was Cybertron Scourge's original name in Galaxy Force.

That doesn't mean they wouldn't still call him Optimus. Remember in Beast Wars the show went out it's way to specify that Optimus Primal and BW Megatron were not the same characters as Optimus Prime and G1 Megatron.

Not to mention that we actually did get an American version of Ginrai in the toy line which was indeed renamed Optimus Prime.

That's a comic book not a cartoon series so yes it would be the only Series.

Which is actually kind of confusing. All the Japanese characters kept their original names even the ones we actually had toys of with entirely different names. Apache/B'Boom comes to mind considering it's one I actually own.

That being said... the comics and cartoons don't always share the same names. I'm not sure why but Trade Mark Laws don't seem to be as strict on comics as they do on cartoons. Example being Jetfire/Skyfire from G1. His name had to be changed to Skyfire in the cartoon series but was allowed to keep Jetfire in the comics. So just because the comics kept their Japanese names doesn't necessarily mean that Hasbro wouldn't still change them in the Cartoon series.

There has also been name changes to those characters in modern versions of them. Lio Convoy being changed to Leo Prime. Cohrada being changed to Corhada... which isn't much of a name change they literally just flipped the h and r around but it's still a name change that exists. Corhada is Predacon that only exists in the Kreo toy line but is clearly based on the Maximal Cohrada from Beast Wars Neo.

I didn't think there was a reason to when most people already know I don't read the comics. :p 

That's exactly my point. It defies any logic to say that they're the same continuity just because they're similar. This whole thing doesn't make any logical sense which is exactly why I brought G1 to the mix just to demonstrate how illogical that argument is. If they're the same continuity then we should be able to clearly see the connections without squinting or having Hasbro tell us they're the same continuity. Just like any continuity that has come before aligned, we didn't need to be told this is the same because they're similar. We spotted the differences and realized, this is a new continuity... well except maybe Cybertron which they also tried to jack hammer into the Unicron trilogy despite the fact it didn't belong there. (Takara's Galaxy Force was a new continuity from Micron/Super Link so Hasbro's Cybertron series should of also been a new continuity from Armada/Energon.)

19. st.ranger

st.ranger Emperor of Destruction

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have no problem with show without Optimus or Megatron, but that beast cons doesnt look great.

20. Altered Prime

It wasn't just a 1 issue story.
    It was a full blown multie issue monthly comic continuity that continues to this day
    Not to mention that Hasbro has started releasing IDW universe figures.
    So, its a series onto its self.

they were considered different characters, even thou they looked similar/nearly exactly the same.

that wasn't a trademark "name" issue.
    it was an "image/likeness" trademark issue.
    the Jetfire toy design was already on Japanese tv in a different cartoon
    so the G1 animators were told to change the look for the cartoon character for Japanese markets.

But in the US, when the changed cartoon character model looked so different, it was felt it might be seen as "false advertising" so they changed the name.
    I now it sounds silly ,particularly when you look at how different Ironhide/Ratchet looked, but the price points of the jetfire toy guess got them worried

clarifying yourself is always a good thing and reason enough on its own merits
    never assume others know everything.