RID (2001) - AN OVERLOOKED CLASSIC?

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by ArcanielRE3, May 3, 2019.

1. Thatsjustkreo67

Thatsjustkreo67 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Car Robots has one of the best Transformers opening themes ever.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Runamuck86

Runamuck86 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ... and one of the best closing themes . Marionette is amazing .

• Like Like x 4
  3. DualDiac84

DualDiac84 2 Steps Forward, 3 Steps Back

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Friend: You bought a anime figure? Doesn’t that make you a weeb?

Me: Don’t you have a complete collection of all the RiD 2001 figures?

Friend: ...

Me: Now who’s the weeb?

• Like Like x 3
  4. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

His name is X-Brawn. And those aren't the Combaticons… well they are based on the same mold of course but calling them Combaticons just because they share a mold is like calling every Seeker Starscream.

Also not sure if you noticed this but if you look at the animation models of the Combaticons compared to the RID1 Decepticons if you didn't know their toys were direct repaints you'd never be able to tell by looking at the animation models alone. G1 took a lot more liberties with the designs doing things like completely removing Blast Off's nose cone to give him proper hands in robot mode. Movor however actually has the shell of his nose cone around his hands as RID1 made the animation models much closer to how the toys actually looked. They even transform the same way in the cartoon as they do in real life. In any other cartoon Scourge would probably try to full the audience into thinking that the windshield from his vehicle mode actually ended up on his chest but not this show, you can clearly see in the cartoon that the actual windshield is on his back exactly where it ends up on the toy.

I also love that X-Brawn's head is clearly visible in vehicle mode on the driver's side exactly like it would be on the toy. And yes being that the show takes place in Japan that is in fact the drivers side of the vehicle, it would be the passenger side if he were an American van but over seas vehicles have the sides reversed. They didn't change the setting of the cartoon for American audiences either so even though it's the American dub it's still set in a Japanese city.

Oh the same thing applies to Fortress Maximus and Brave Maximus. The G1 Cartoon took some liberties with the design while RID1 just drew him exactly like his toy. I don't know why I find it so fascinating that the animation models look so much like their toys but I do.

The only minor complaint I have about the series is too many characters. Honestly I forgot Skids was even a character in this show. I don't remember anything he ever did the entire series. There's also a tone of Spy Changers and I can only remember Mirage, Ironhide, and Hot Shot. They did try to compensate for the large cast by only focusing on a hand full of characters per episode but considering most episodes focused on the Autobot Brothers... even the episodes where they weren't the primary focus they still played a supporting role... and I think that took a lot of screen time away from the other cast who had to complete with the Autobot brothers on top of not appearing in every episode.

Also the fact that Optimus and Megatron spent a large portion of the series at their respective bases doing NOTHING. They have some of the best designs I have seen for those characters but we rarely saw them in action as Optimus would just stand at a computer console talking to T-AI and Megatron/Galvatron would just sit in his throne doing NOTHING. Whenever they did actually go out into the field it was AWESOME but I would of loved to see MORE of them.

The over all story was good and I think this was honestly the best American adaptation of a Transformers Anime we have ever gotten. Not the best series over all but it does make it to my top three favorite Transformers cartoons of all time.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Cliffjumper

Cliffjumper green

News Credits:
    Skid z got his episode then disspaeared until the last few episodes

• Like Like x 2
  6. Gzstg

Gzstg Well-Known Member

Even then I don't he did anything to important on his own.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Wheeljack84

Wheeljack84 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Far superior to the awful Unicron trilogy that came later.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Rodimal Rodimus

Rodimal Rodimus Agent of Unit:E

I thought Armada and Cybertron were okay too.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Banned

Armada is actually stellar in Japanese, story wise.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    Other than Sky-Byte and Side-Burn being entertaining characters, I largely struggled to keep an interest in the show when I finally watched it in 2013. It doesn’t do anything offensive mind you, but it didn’t keep me invested either.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

Cybertron was OK... if you watch it like Galaxy Force as a separate entity with zero connection to Armada.

Energon was OK... if you totally ignore any connection it has to Armada.

Armada is worse than Bayformers.

• Like Like x 1
  12. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    Honestly I disagree. The second half of Armada is much better than the first, and the episodes with the "The Unicron Battles" moniker were excellent.

• Like Like x 3
  13. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

The only thing that gets better in the second half of the series is the fact that it stops being a Pok'emon knock off where each episode is just about obtaining some random Mini-con. But that's not even one of the reasons the series was so terrible.

Characters are CONSTANTLY being referred to by the wrong names. This technically also happens in Energon however only with Downshift and Cliffjumper and their names are consistently reversed from what they were on the toys. Sparkplug is called by three different names during the course of Armada. Only one time was it actually his correct name. Grindor and Shurshot kept getting their names switched back and forth. Starscream mentions the name Thundercracker once when he first gets those colors and then it's never brought up again. Galvatron is constantly called Megatron. And these are just a few examples.

The way characters were portrayed was inconsistent. Thrust was introduced as a brilliant strategist. He seemed like such an awesome character when we first meet him. Then out of no where he turns into an idiot and one of the most useless characters for no apparent reason. A similar background and personality change was done with Sky-Byte but there actually was a reason given for his insanity so I let that one pass but Thrust changed out of no where for no reason. Tidal Wave was introduced as a much more intelligent leader type... like someone Megatron would of assigned to lead a small squadron on a mission off world... except the character is such an idiot and that I have a hard time believing he could lead his way out of a paper bag. He's also a blind loyalist character which makes him way more of a follower than a leader. Sideways was clearly seen talking to a mysterious entity who we later find out is Unicron reporting to his boss on the success of his missions. There's an episode where Sideways also saves the human children from Unicron. This would imply that Sideways and Unicron are two totally separate characters. Sideways is a Herold of Unicron sure I could accept that... except we're later told that Sideways never actually existed and was just a puppet being controlled by Unicron the entire time... So why would he need to report to Unicron if he is Unicron? Why would he go against himself to save some human children from himself? Them being the same character makes no sense because nothing in the series suggests they're the same character other than that one line of dialog where Sideways says he is Unicron.

The art is inconsistent. Only 5 characters were given their Powerlinx colors with an in universe explanation as to why they had changed colors. Everyone else who had a repaint in the toy line outside of those five randomly changed colors for no reason what so ever. Their color changes were never addressed in any way. Just all of the sudden BAM new color scheme! Megatron, Starscream, Hot Shot, Demolishor, and Red Alert had their colors changed by the Mini-cons repairing battle damage in the episode Puppet. Everyone else outside of these five have zero explanation as to where their Powerlinx colors came from.

And the way the series ends... makes Optimus Prime into the villain and Galvatron the hero. Unicron was feeding on the conflict from the Autobots and Decepticons being at war with each other. They had agreed to what was suppose to be a temporary truce until the Unicron problem could be dealt with. However to ensure that the truce would keep going, ending the war, and defeating Unicron, Galvatron willing sacrificed his own life and died heroically to save everyone... while Optimus tried to stop him from doing a good thing for once in his life. Optimus would of rather kept the war going than to let his enemy die. It's the dumbest thing I had ever seen.

Essentially with as bad as the Bayformers movies are with their terrible inconsistent writing... Armada has all the same problems and then some. I can actually tolerate Bayformers… they certainly aren't good movies but I tolerate them. Armada I never want to see ever again.

14. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Banned

Been rewatching the Car Robots sub on YT to herald Gelshark/Sky-Byte's triumphant return to TV in Cyberverse very soon. Hope they do good by him.

I liked BWII but not enough to watch Neo yet honestly. Micron Legend is probably the best Transformers anime (in JP only) but Car Robots is a close second. It's got fairly tight and much more consistent animation than any other TF anime and probably the most colorful cast of characters. The RID01 dub wasn't nearly as bad as the UT dubs but it still nerfs a lot of the more intense themes and finer details of Car Robots. The original characterizations of the whole cast are much better than their RID01 counterparts imo. Some characters like Gelshark are mostly intact, but Gildor/Dark Scream, J4/Midnight Express, and the 3 Car Robo Brothers are notable examples of major dubbing changes that lose the point of certain characters.

Not to mention the Predacons seeming useless in RID01 due to censorship removing most of the wanton terroristic destruction/implied deaths they all have a hand in. Yes even the 'Useless 4'. Car Robots also boasts much more diverse and engaging musical score than RID01's low volume all-techno arrangement.

Nameslaps like Fire Convoy/Optimus Prime, Gigatron/Megatron, Mach Alert/Prowl, Ox/Ironhide, Counter Arrow/Mirage, Build Hurricane/Grimlock, God Magnus/Ultra Magnus, Brave Maximus/Fortress Maximus and Black Convoy/Scourge...

I do think 'Ruination' is a better name than 'Baldigus' though.

Both versions have the honor of being the one and only show to bridge the 'Beast Era' and traditional style Transformers by being Autobots vs Predacons.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  15. SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47 X-Wing: Mercy Kill

News Credits:
    Happy 20 years to Robots in Disguise!

• Like Like x 6
  16. Leolim

Leolim Well-Known Member

its now part of the Japanese g1 continuity as beast era spinoff.

17. SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47 X-Wing: Mercy Kill

News Credits:
    Well, "now part" is a matter of interpretation. It may not have been obvious to the general audience, but the showrunners intended to leave the door open for Car Robots to be linked to previous series, hence the very subtle nods to the characters being time travellers. And the toys were always a logical continuation of Beast Wars Neo.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
  18. Leolim

Leolim Well-Known Member

Is it true that not all transformers are downsize and use g1 symbols if they are generally still using vehicle mode?

19. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    BW Neo has Destrons (using the Predacon logo) with vehicle modes but the same size as the Cybertrons (Maximals based on logo), so some are downsized even if they use vehicle modes. Rid01/Car Robots (if it is in continuity) takes place prior to the factions downsizing.

20. Leolim

Leolim Well-Known Member

That from BW2 and got their beast modes later on(Neo are dinosaurs), fire convoy say he had a 3 thousand year rivalry which contradicts the 300 year gap (VS was a myth that time) plus Fire convoy almost resemble primal since post beast machines convoy resemble him in his honor but cause bias on other transformers like god Magnus.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Black Convoy also mentioned the Angolmois Energy.
    So Car Robots can’t take place prior the downsize.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021