Rick Akker's IDW Fortress Maximus

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Tiller, Jan 20, 2019.

?

Would you be interested in this design if it would get turned into a full figure?

1. Yep

237 vote(s)
    89.8%
  2. Nope

27 vote(s)
    10.2%
  1. Digger

Digger Cracker-Man

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I don’t think that’s a good idea. That’s still leaving us with rubber which will deteriorate and especially if it’s gonna rub up against plastic treads.

2. RVDA

RVDA Toy Designer.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Didn't expect the remolds to get a positive reaction actually. Maybe I should throw it on Twitter, see if the same sentiment holds there...The thing I'm afraid of is that remolds get push back as is, even if they do sell. It's a matter of reputation more then anything.

I don't think that will be necessary. Not with the weight of the rest of the bot creating drag all of it's own, especially with the majority of the diecast (feet, maybe middle) already ending up in the center of the tank mode.

$200 is already a lot of money for a figure like this. With $230, customers will start to wonder if it's worth it, especially in comparison to other toys. Like, say, Double Evil, which retails for around that same price and is considerably bigger. I also ran a poll about this on Twitter, and the results have been pretty divided on this topic. And you know. I want that 38% to be able to own it as well. :lol 

twitter poll result.PNG

RVDA on Twitter

• Like Like x 3
  3. Bob Schoonover

Bob Schoonover Poorly-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I think there are certain psychological thresholds in all purchasing centered around nice round numbers - "I'm not paying over $1000 (or $2000) in rent/mortgage," etc. I personally don't care about the difference between $199 and $230, but that might not have been true 4-5 years ago when I was less inured w/third party collecting and pricing (and $250 for a non-combiner or city bot might be a line for me). If $200 is feasible w/o too much compromise, it's a laudable goal that'll probably earn out and be worth the effort.

---------

None of the possible alt uses for this mold really speak to me (not eras or characters I cape for) except one - I would definitely love to see the Brave Max deco on it. I enjoyed how nice PE Guardian looked and imagine this would look similarly dope. Plus, w/my burgeoning RID-ish collection, I could use a Brave Max that's not ridiculously big.

4. madpanda

madpanda Well-Known Member

DO IT! Would love to see the Mammoth Tank and the Fallen.
    I also didn't vote on your poll, as I don't have a tweety bird, but I would pay for figure.
    Would crowdfunding be an option or even viable for your design to be made?

5. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Following proto

I think a lot of us are just going to say, "Whatever it takes to get it made, do it." I'm fine with bigger, smaller, die-cast or no die-cast, this design is the coolest thing I've seen since Carnifex and it deserves to get green-lit then put into the front of the production line (after all the engineering is sorted out, anyhow). I'd love to see an Armada Megatron remold as well, and if you felt like making a big ass Tidal Wave, I'd love you even more! But seriously, this design is and if made with the proper materials and all that, I think it could be the best third party design...ever?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Chainlink

Chainlink No real than you are

Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Fair enough, and I can see where they're coming from. Once Hasbro's Deluxe class figures hit $20, I stopped buying as many. I can see how $230 would be one of those "threshold" numbers for many folks.

• Like Like x 1
  7. deaculpa

deaculpa Stand Alone Complex

News Credits:
    There is, ive heard at least one third party company estimate that number at $200/180, iirc.

8. the oaf

the oaf Well-Known Member

Aawd Lahndan Taaaahn...more specifically, Chiswick
    Loving everything about this. I'm 100% in if it gets made... however, am I the only one who saw a knock-kneed gorilla mode in the above picture at first?

9. bluesymetal

bluesymetal Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I think $180 sounds a lot better then $230. However I almost always buy new figures from eBay sellers during flash sales.... I’m sure there will be ways to get it down to that 180-200 number and still move a lot of these.

• Like Like x 1
  10. GAUGE

GAUGE Struggling Artist

News Credits:
    I think nothing should be compremised. I think the design should stay as originally intended. Sure by all means make a simpler version for those who are poor.

Make a more complex version for those who prefer flametoys or sentinel quality designing as the original design seems to be going for.

I was perfectly fine getting a 200-250 dollar toy that was nice and big. I dont want some legend scale or deluxe sized toy. I want a 14inch tall fort max.

11. Dangard Ace

Dangard Ace Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    From Planetsteel Express Facebook page

Planet Steel Express

Mastermind Creations R-50 Supermax!
    March 2020

Due to the overwhelming response to Rick Akker's fantastic design we have decided to work with MMC to help make this a reality!

Supermax will be 11" tall and boasts high quality materials including diecast with new levels of articulation previously unseen in the market.
    Featuring double jointed elbows and knees, ab crunch, shoulder butterfly joint, individual fingers, toe tilt plus way more! Check the animations that Rick Akker has prepared below.

800 backers will need to make a non-refundable deposit of *HK$400.00 (around US$50.00) to bring this project to life.
    Final price will be **HK$1800.00 (US$230.00).

As a supporter to the project, backer will receive the following by supporting this campaign...

The guranteed lowest price of HK$1800.00 or lower, as the market price is to be decided by MMC

Exclusive collectors packaging

An exclusive Supermax face sculpt

An exclusive rifle

You have 30 days to make your voice heard, we will keep you updated with weekly posts over the next month.

Tell a friend, buy one for your Mom...LETS MAKE THIS HAPPEN!!

*All deposits will be refunded in full if backer numbers not met
    **if we get 1200 backers in the 30 day period the final price will drop to HK$1569.00 (US$200.00)

The development is going to take 12 months from prototyping to initial release. PSX will work with MMC to provide updates which will be posted to facebook and the PSX blog. Below is the projected timeline for Supermax.

• Backer number statics every Monday until the campaign ends (30 days)

• Prototype April

• 2nd Prototype (if necessary) May

• Color design June

• Testshot 1 August

• Testshot 2 October

• Testshot 3 November

• Pre Production sample December

• Final product February 2020

• Like Like x 8
  12. Dezefticon

Dezefticon Photographer/Planet Steel Express

Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:

Attached Files:

• c.jpg
      c.jpg
      File size:
      364 KB
      Views:
    • Like Like x 8
  13. deaculpa

deaculpa Stand Alone Complex

News Credits:
    In.

• Like Like x 3
  14. ZombehDino

ZombehDino Fast as a Sharkticon

Congratulations @RVDA! So glad that this is happening after all.

• Like Like x 3
  15. rodimusea

rodimusea Aspiring Primus

16. madex

madex Well-Known Member

Sooo non refundable deposit what if they don’t reach the goal and it’s not made?

17. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It says right in the description you get your money back.

It's non-refundable if you change your mind.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Xyl

Xyl Member

Totally in.

• Like Like x 1
  19. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Which makes perfect sense, of course.

If the project is cancelled, then there's nothing to fund, and you get your money back.

But if they meet the goal and they head into production, the funding for it was predicated on you paying your bill at the end. Enough people cancelling mid-production could leave them footing the bill something fierce, so they're not going to let you do that.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It makes perfect sense after the Maas Toys debacle.