Rewriting History....Without Time Machines or Ant-Man

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Goldlock, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Goldlock

Goldlock and don't call me Shirley

News Credits:
    So who doesn't like a thread about sharing "i CoUlD dO iT BeTtEr!" plots?

From what I've seen of the latest IDW reboot, it's suuuuper slow and treading the same ground; essentially going through the same motions we've seen again and again about how Cybertron put its passive aggressive pants on, and went to war with itself.

For an 'exciting and new' story about Cybertron's awkward years, it's a bit old hat from the get-go.

So.

How would you rewrite the history of Cybertron to make it at least a bit more spicy? Are the same characters major players from the start? Would Orion Pax still be an archivist or cop, buddying up to a revolutionary gladiator named Megatron, before things go pear-shaped? Is Cybertron's government still a bit useless, or full blown "1984"-ing the populace with double-speak and TV head makeovers?

Go as wild as you like, and see if we can find some alternate histories that might be a bit more entertaining than wading through the cold soup splashed all over the comic pages at the moment.

2. TeamOptimus

TeamOptimus Well-Known Member

1. Megatron is in charge of Cybertron already. Peace through tyranny and all of that. Cybertron could be a hellhole or a utopia, depending on which direction you want to go.

2. The Autobots rise up because they're tired of the authoritarianism.

3. Rebellion turns to war.

Rebels vs Empire. It's really easy.You don't need all of the boring politics in IDW2.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Goldlock

News Credits:
    I'll add something to maybe inspire some ideas too....but mine includes all the deep (boring) politics! :p 

Background

Cybertron's golden age sees the planet as a major galactic player, with direct control over several large colonies scattered across the stars (might as well play on that well trodden trope). Native organics and techno-organics are common across the planet, with some holding positions of power in Cybertronian society.

Cybertron itself is governed by representatives elected from every major population centre on the planet, with the assembled senate/parliament rotating the seat of power from city to city every tenth megacycle (or whatever made up length of time you'd prefer).

The ceremonial position of "Prime" is held by an elected member of the planet's civilian authority, but seen as archaic by progressive Cybertronian society. Their main role is to formally open new sessions of government and make good-will visits to the colonies.

Cybertron has a highly developed military -
    • The Cybertronian Planetary Guard (C.P.G) responsible for policing and protecting against direct threats to Cybertron.
    • The Colonial Operations Nexus (C.O.N), tasked with maintaining order and protecting Cybertron's colonies.
    • The United Cybertronian Space Command (U.C.S.C), built to project Cybertronian influence across deep space, with fleets of starships to serve diplomatic and military interests.

The Plot

Due to the poorly distributed wealth and direct political rule of Cybertron, a number of the colonies begin campaigning for independence and self-rule. Cybertron's first colony, Quintessa; taken as a prize after victory in the Second Cybertronian/Quintesson War, sees the first terrorist incidents against Cybertronian officials on the planet. The Colonial Operations Nexus deploys heavy counter-terror units to send a clear message, but this heavy-handed approach only sparks more resentment and protests.

After many decacycles, the dissident separatists grow in strength, and after a full blown campaign against C.O.N units on Quintessa, begin to carry out attacks on Cybertron itself; even bombing the flagship of Cybertron's starfleet, almost killing its captain, Grand Maximus.

With fear spreading across Cybertron's populace, the representative for Kaon, Sky Shadow, agrees to meet with Skorponok, a self-appointed representative of the Neo Quintesson population, to discuss terms of peace and the prospect of independence.

The Colonial Operations Nexus strongly opposes this action, and its head, Tarn, deploys senior taskforce, D-7 to Quintessa to put pressure on those supporting Sky Shadow's actions. The commander of D-7, Megatron, sees the danger in allowing a colony to claim victory over Cybertron using violence........

As the situation slowly deteriorates on Quintessa, Sky Shadow is able to position himself as the next rotating head of Cybertron's government, on promises of securing peace between the colonies and the home world. Relations between the Colonial Operations Nexus and both Cybertron's government and the Cybertronian Planetary Guard have been severely damaged through differences of opinion in how to bring the crisis to an end.

Tensions reach breaking point when C.O.N head, Tarn, is assassinated following an independence speech by Skorponok in Quintessa's capital. C.O.N Intelligence Lead, Soundwave, turns to the distinguished tactician, Megatron to end the separatist movement with a show of force that will put down resistance across all colonies for good, before everything collapses around them.

Megatron takes overall command of C.O.N, with the consent of Soundwave and senior U.C.S.C officer, Starscream. A hand is extended to all branches of Cybertron's military by Megatron, to massively pressure the current government, that in his eyes, threatens the foundations of Cybertron's existence.

Things go too far, as the government orders the C.P.G to oppose what they see as a coup by Megatron. One Trigger-happy ;)  spark accidentally ignites a full blown firefight, that rattles the population of Cybertron to the core.

In the aftermath, Cybertron's press begin a state backed campaign against Megatron, dubbing the Colonial Operations Nexus as a deceptive front for a violent revolution....a Decepti-C.O.N, if you will. The slur "Decepticon" is born.

This bubbling civil war takes one step forward, as with the Decepticons and their allies in the C.P.G and U.C.S.C focused on Cybertron, the watching Quintessons see their opportunity to finally retake an unprotected Quintessa...... As word of the sudden Quintesson invasion of Quintessa reaches Cybertron, Grand Maximus refuses orders for his fleet to support the planet's defence, in retribution for the past attack on his life.

Quintessa falls and Grand Maximus is removed from his position; replaced by new Fleet Master, Fortress Maximus. Following the invasion, anti-organic sentiment begins to grow across Cybertronian society. Megatron plays on this to gain support among the populace for his goals to protect Cybertron's interests from these 'filthy organics' and rebuild Cybertron's weakened status in the galaxy.

The Decepticons eventually gain enough support from across the military to stage a peaceful takeover of Kaon, seizing the city and taking both Sky Shadow and the recently elected Optimus Prime into custody. The Decepticon insignia is unveiled over Kaon, designed in the image of Tarn, to symbolise opposition to the colonial terrorist violence.

The rest of the government flees to Iacon and convenes an emergency summit. C.P.G Commander In Chief, Ultra Magnus and U.C.S.C Fleet Master, Fortress Maximus are authorised to use any force necessary to engage all Decepticon sympathisers and end their threat.

Taken by surprise by the number of supporters that come out in favour of the Decepticons, the C.P.G and the U.C.S.C are badly beaten in the ensuing battle. Sky Shadow is killed by stray fire during the fight, while Optimus is able to escape captivity and make contact with his previous security detail, Ironhide.

The Cybertronian government are forced to relocate to Simfur, following mass protests over their handling of events. Surviving refugee insurgents from Quintessa bomb the now vulnerable government buildings there, killing many of the officials inside. Megatron then seizes this opportunity to take control over three major territories, with a promise of restoring order amongst the chaos.

Unsure of what direction to take, Ultra Magnus has his second-in-command, Prowl, make contact with Ironhide and Optimus. As the last remaining politician not dead or hated by the populace, Prime assumes the public face of Cybertron's government and what is left of the C.P.G.

C.P.G and U.C.S.C remnants are folded into a single unified force, under recommendation by former U.C.S.C exploration ship captain, Jetfire. This new "Autobot" military carries the recommissioned insignia of Cybertron's old guard, dating from the time of the First Cybertron/Quintesson War.

And there's your alternate start to the classic war.

Phew, well done if you managed to slog through all of that!! :lol 

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  4. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

Ebay:
    I still stand behind my idea of a Conan-esque Cybertron, where everybody lives in tribes and fights in a landscape reminiscent of old 1980's new wave and/or prog rock/metal band album covers. In other words, we should go back to that concept of the 13 tribes of Cybertron, except without the 13 primes.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Then we can have all the dumb, stupid "fantastic" elements we want, as well as an easy way to explain why there's an entire section of Transformers whose heads come off, live inside organic shells, don't transform, or shoot fire from their butts or whatever. It could be framed in quite a few books in a fun, silly, over the top fashion without being weighted down too much in politicking and exposition barf.

Grimlock the Barbarian. Optimus and the Knights of Iacon. Megatron as Thulsa Doom, etc. Give me chainsaw sword fights between Star Saber and Galvatron on the precipice of chromed fjords while waves of acid crash against the shores. Give me Shrapnel calling down lightning to terrorize a village laced with glittering neon. Give me a massive land war in the shadow of the Iron Spires of Kaon. Anything other than endless blather about stuff I don't care about because I haven't been given anything to make me care.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Goldlock

News Credits:
    Well it'd be a crazy and (entertaining as hell) continuity after about 6 months of developing the story, if that's the starting point!!

6. ProtectronPrime

Ebay:
    I'm really a big fan of some of the pulpier stuff. One of my favorite comics was Xenozoic Tales, AKA Cadillacs & Dinosaurs. It's a little hokey now, but it has some of the most entertaining stories I've read in a while that would be great for Transformers now and again - just FUN stuff, with a dash of environmentalism and politics as opposed to a heaping dollop with a story sprinkled in around it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Goldlock

News Credits:
    I've never heard of them (then again, I'm not the biggest comic reader), but they do sound like the kind of fresh approach that might inject a bit of interest and fun as you say into Transformers again for a while!

8. ProtectronPrime

Ebay:
    If you like pulp style comics, check 'em out.
    [​IMG]

They also had a very brief animated series back in the 90's.

The art is absolutely LUSH, and still holds up for ages.

The premise is borderline insane and ultimately it's not to be taken seriously. However, it's presented straight-faced. The characters look four color on the surface, but there's more going on if you pop open the hood as it were. As simple as it was, there was plenty of personality interplay alongside battling it out with Tyrannosaurs.

I'd love a TF series that went in this direction as it had something for everyone - gung ho action and adventure as well as city-state feuding and the back and forth push of popular demand versus private interest.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Mirimus

Mirimus Member Known Well

I want to go back to the real beginning:

"They created a mechanical paradise...a machine-filled landscape where each Autobot went about his pursuits in peace and prosperity...but every paradise has its serpent, and on this world it was Megatron, commander if those who called themselves...the Decepticons."

I don't need political intrigue, or rebellions, or shades of gray...it can be as simple as a group of morally vacant beings within a utopian society becoming ambitious and greedy and wanting power. They're a vastly different form of life, so there's no reason you can't have absolutes - good and evil - play out without the ambiguity; Autobots don't have to commit atrocities, Decepticons don't have to retire after committing their atrocities and write poetry or screenplays.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Lionheart

Lionheart Well-Known Member

Primus and Unicron are super AI living within a quantum computer tasked to simulate different scenarios in which war breaks out for an infinite timeframe in order to accumulate as much data as possible. Primus is the factor of order, whereas Unicron is the factor of chaos and unpredictability, when he instigates an event in the simulation the results are usually crazier. The Transformers live inside of this simulation (and were created by Primus and Unicron) which is why the setting of Transformers is always an Autobot-Decepticon war no matter what. Because Primus and Unicron have literally nothing better to do they enjoy creating ludicrous or sadistic situations during these simulations and because they understand that all the lives lost will just be "revived" in the next scenario, they're rather cold .Apart from the bearer of the matrix in each simulation, Cybertronians are completely convinced that they live in a real world but it's all a farce;their entire world is simply a cyberscape sculpted by Unicron and Primus to "play in".
    All that being said, to make things less boring for themselves, Unicron and Primus created that Matrix in order to give lesser AI (because that's what the Transformers truly are in this world), the chance to communicate with them and possibly even compete with them for a peaceful outcome to the particular scenario they ascended from. Unicron and Primus usually scrap each simulation they create after the war is concluded and move onto the next simulation or "game", as they see it along with everything in it; people or "characters" as they see it are just recycled each time. So basically the bearer of the matrix ( be it Optimus, Hot Rod, or Grimlock, etc.) has the chance to not have their world scrapped by the end of the war...If they can pull strings in a way that defy Primus and Unicrons expectations and relieve them of their boredom.

• Like Like x 2
  11. ProtectronPrime

Ebay:
    So ReBoot meets Paranoia?

12. Lionheart

Lionheart Well-Known Member

Something more or less like that yeah. Especially Paranoia except instead of an AI dominating society it dominates reality itself for the poor cyberdwellers.

13. Goldlock

News Credits:
    Ooh, this'd make for a different kind of story! It'd be a great mindfuck if it all wasn't revealed until about a year or so into a seemingly regular by-the-numbers Transformers comic.

• Like Like x 1