Revolution hitting North America by Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Crossblades, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

Yes it would have been. How could you call yourself a fan of the game if you didn't play it simply based on the graphics ? The more realistic a game becomes, the less of a game it actually becomes. It's already starting to happen, take Xenosaga and FF10 for instance. All flash, no game. All the player gets to do is random battles and moving the character to the next movie.

If you base games on graphics, you will miss out TONS of amazing games.

2. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    Yeah... not sure if understand what I'm saying here, but I'll try again. I'll repeat, gameplay is the number one factor. I play my GBA more than my home consoles. I'm all for great gameplay. But with that said, RE4 wouldn not been nearly as fun without those grahpics, it's that simpple. RE4 with ps1 looks would be shit. I like to experience my games, sound turned up really, lights off, being alone(unless it's Super Smash Brothers of course) and I want to emersed into the atmoshpere of the game world. And looking good is a part of enjoying that, I don't see how you can disagree. I simply want the best of all worlds here.

3. wolfnfox

wolfnfox Well-Known Member

I love how people immediately decide something sucks without even waiting to try it.

It's different yes, but right now we need different, the only thing I've seen from the 360 is, pretty much the same, just a little bit better.

4. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

I wish nintendo would just become a 3rd party developer so that I can play the gems their in house game studios will no doubt create on my system of choice

5. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

No, and it won't ever happen. I like having my hardware designed by a company that knows, cares about, and makes good games.

6. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

Your opinion of what a good game is, just that an opinion, and developing hardware along with the games does not a better game make.

7. AlphaPrime

AlphaPrime Neo Autobot Commander

I havn't had to replace my PS or my PS2, so if it continues i should have a fine PS3, sides i usely wait a year after it comes out.

Sides my Sony systems don't get dusty and work like crap with out getting a cartrige in there just right*cough old school GB and NES cough*

I too wish Nintendo would just become a third party, atleast in the console race, they will never be number 1 in it again so they should just make games for the others, handhelds wise though they will prolly never loose unless Sony can learn to make a cheaper and still good handheld.

Course i will say again, Gameboy Micro = LAMEST Nintendo portable since the Virtural Boy.

8. flamepanther

Imagine if you will, what Super Mario 64 would have been like on the PS1. Keep in mind, that means that there would be no analog stick, as Sony never got that idea until first Nintendo and then Sega had already done it. It just wouldn't be the same. Imagine also, if you will, Super Smash Bros. requiring an expensive multiplayer adaptor for four player support, or Mario Kart never evolving past two-players. That's what you'd have with Nintendo as a third-party developer. Also, if you're a graphics-oriented player, keep in mind that as much as people have been bashing the Revolution for not being on par with PS3 (at least on paper), this generation is an exception. In the past two generations, Nintendo has had superior graphics hardware to Sony's, especially Cube vs PS2. If Nintendo was a 3rd-party developer, Metroid Prime in particular wouldn't have the CPU power or the RAM to look as nice as it does. Even in the case of N64 vs PS2, we'd have wound up with Mario and Link with "jaggies" all over them exploring landscapes full of glitter effect from unfiltered textures. Nintendo's Revolution controller has the potential to enhance a lot of old game franchises and make possible entirely new ones that we've never imagined before. Were Nintendo to become a third-party developer, it's extremely unlikely that we'd see any of that promising innovation. So yes, having the hardware and software designers work together does make better games.

9. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow, comparing a Playstation to two system that were made 20 years ago, really convincing argument you have there. Do you have to go 20 years back to find a fault in Nintendo's hardware?

Also, I never had any problems with my Game Boy.

10. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

well i for one, still prefer the simple side scroller to some of those 3rd person shooters, and i actually prefer, wolfenstine 3d to the newer verison that came out a while ago, it is just a funner game, yet the graphics today's standards are laughable. yet i still enjoy quake more then i did half life. graphics don't matter to me as much as game play, heck i still play this really old game called "Chopper Commando" made by a 15 year old, with basically ms paint graphics. yet i still think it is the best helicopter game ever made.

but then again i grew up on commander keen atari 2600, and sega genesis. i mean that was a big majority of my life, probably 14 or so years of it. which is over half my life. back then i even had sega channel.

11. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

Hear hear!

So said the Sega fanboys in 1999...

12. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

It seems to me that the hardware is created first and foremost and the software is created to capitalize on the exisisting hardware. I do not believe the first party software programmers dictate the hardware requirements to the hardware division I doubt they even have influence(If devs did have a say, higher res textures would have been used on the N64 and it would have used CDs to store those textures cause they would have made a game too big for a cart).

In this generation 360 and PS3 seem to be on par powerwise with revolution lagging rather significantly behind the 360. With revolution game play only being 4x3 720x480p more processing power can be focussed on polygon counts so it may end up pushing around the same amount of polys ,AA and filtering as the 360 can at the much higher resolution of 1280x720p(2.6666 as many lines of resolution than 720x480p).

Hardware wise, Nintendo isn't bringing anything at all to the table this generation. The 360 is the Rev but more powerful(similar but better GPU by ATI and CPU by IBM and more RAM) a calaboration of MS and Nin would of been great competition wise against PS3 but allas things didnt fall together that way and Sony will almost certainly be #1 in all 3 markets (as usual) with the best 3rd party support*sigh*

BTW I think "NiGHTs into dreams" for the saturn predates the N64 and Sega released a special controller for it with an analog pad.

13. flamepanther

You had best double-check some of the things you believe.

Shigeru Miyamoto specifically has a huge influence on Nintendo's hardware design decisions. The analog controller was specifically his idea, and he'd been wanting it ever since Star Fox. The control layouts for new systems are usually made with his input based on what he wants to be able to do in his next game ideas. Nintendo had reasons for not moving to CDs, whether that was a good idea or not. You're argument doesn't hold a lot of water though, because Nintendo's priorities have always been more about gameplay. Nintendo's first-party titles all looked quite nice without needing a CD full of textures or FMV.

Irrelevant. Nintendo had the hardware advantage during this generation, but I don't see you whining that Sony should move GranTourismo to the Game Cube.

Excuse me? The controller? Before you scoff, it wasn't powerful hardware that put the NES on the map. It was incredible first party games and a unique new controller that made playing games easier. Familiar?

Again, you think wrong. I already owned Mario 64 when Sega debuted Nights later in the year.

14. flamepanther

Then they were poorly educated fanboys. Sega was always a third party developer for other platforms, even when they were still supporting their own consoles. They just pulled out of the hardware busness when it was costing them too much money. Interestingly enough, it doesn't seem to have improved the quality of their games.

15. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

you all have to remember:

Sony and Microsoft have all these money from elseware (Windows, Wegas, computers, etc)...so their development teams could be one million more people than Nintendo's...

but either way, Nintendo and Sony is my two perfered game console systems

16. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    I have faith in Nintendo. They have always been devoted towards excellence in their consoles. And they have Revolutionized the industry in more ways than you can shake a stick at. The first D-pad was theirs, now every console since has featured it. The first analog stick was theirs. The first shoulder buttons (I think....). The Playstation controller is basically the SNES with extra shoulders. (No mystery there, Sony was making Nintendo's CD upgrade for the SNES when that deal went sour and Sony adapted the hardware for their system.) The first rumble pack was theirs. See a pattern? I fully expect the next next gen consoles to have some form of location sensing tech. Nintendo has said that they will change gaming forever with the Revolution, and I for one believe them.

Couple that with whispered rumors of Nintendos intrest in eMagin's product, specifically their VR headset tech, now the funky controller makes more sense. It's a small step to imagine that Nintendo could put the very same location sensing gear in a headset. Now imagine what your games are like.

Chaos Theory #1: I think Nintendo will release a VR headset for the Revolution.
    Support: Aforementioned rumors , coupled with confirmation that eMagin makes that device. Nintendo has never released screenshots of the Revolution, is it because they are being coy, or could it be that they don't want people gettign critical of the image? The Revolution would have to sacrifice image quality to crunch twice as many pixels. When faced with Microsoft and Sony praising their respective systems' Hi-Def abilities, Nintendo only said that they would be able to hook up to a computer monitor. Did Nintendo really believe we would play on our 17" monitor instead of our 50" TV, or did they know that the VR signal couldn't the transmitted on AVI? Such a signal would require a more complicated connection. Nintendo attempted this idea before, on the sadly failed VirtualBoy. Did Nintendo simply throw this revolutionary idea out the window, or did they stow it until technology was advanced enough to convey their idea?

In any case, I can't wait until May.

17. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

No more consolve versus console in this thread, its boring already. You guys are repeating youselves, again, doesn't it get boring?

18. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

Graphics potential was wasted by devoting so much CPU time to decompressing fairly low res textures that were held on the cart. Had nintendo moved to CD they would have been able to compete at a much higher capacity.

Far from irrelevent, Nintendo only held the hardware advantage against the PS2 not the Xbox which took its place as second in NA in as little as one gaming generation and seeing as the sales potential of games on the PS2 is far greater than that of the Cube their is precious little reason to abandon the former for the latter.

I am not all that impressed with nintendos gimmicky controller but if Nintendos developers thought it was so great they could have just released it as a 3rd party perhiperal for the other two consoles. From what I can tell the home console market was failing in the US and the NES was a huge risk but it made many near arcade perfect ports possible and blew everything else away graphics wise were it atari or sub atari level it might have failed plus it had no competion till the master system came about.

Edit. I didnt see Twin Twists notice until after I posted the above.

19. Eric

Eric Dreadnought of Floof

News Credits:
    I'm gonna bite and say this: the Revolution better have a Gamecube-ish controller shell for the Revolution's "remote" controller, or else I will make a sig and it'll say this: Nintendo made me cry.

20. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    Satoru Iwata already has stated on the record that zelda and revolution will be blown open at E3 in May, and most people point to late summer for the zelda release date. Do you really think that Nintendo is going to wait until after they launch a brand new system to release a game that'll sell in the millions?? I dont think so. Summer '06, it'll happen. :D  zelda for 3-4 months then Revolution. I cant' wait to download old games so I can have all them on one single machine! and not to mention that badassed motion controller! the ability to plug a regular styled controller over it, or slide it into a light gun... fantastic! and Miyamoto said there was still something big the controller can do that they've not told about yet, wonder what that is???

Andy