Revoltech Amazing Yamaguchi Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Sponge, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    The problem with Revoltechs were, to me, never about the balancing because they usually come with stands. I have more problems with the utter lack of effort in hiding the ball joints and and the fact that their sculpts just tend to look worse than the other companies in general (particularly in regards to faces).

Figuarts and Figma are comparable and just better in every way. Admittedly Figma tend to be more expensive than the other two but still... it's worth it for a better figure. When Revoltech has done a toy of a character that Figma or Figuarts have also done the Revoltech is nearly always the worst one (in fact, I struggle to think of any example wherein the Revoltech is better).

• Like Like x 2
  2. calubin175

calubin175 Well-Known Member

Revoltechs still uses PVC post 2010 while everyone else went onto sharper ABS sculpts.

I think there is a stylistic charm with the imperfection of PVC even if it feels cheaper in hand. But Revoltech PVC is the thickest, hardest and the least malleable sort I have encountered.

It is kind of like comparing digital animation vs hand painted cels, or HD remaster vs vhs.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MegaDolrailer

MegaDolrailer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This one doesn't even use revoltech joints anymore, it's something completely different than literally every other Revoltech so far.
    Even since Dark of the Moon Optimus there have been improvements, revoltech joints have more ratchets now, and come in more sizes.

I'm not telling you to get it, and not sure what you mean about "forcing you to buy all the old figures", when this new figure is in a completely different style to those and might be setting up a new scale for future TF releases.
    Also literally just explained how toys in general have gotten much more expensive since the decade old Revoltechs you referred to, and how Revoltech isn't the only line affected by that plastic price hike.
    But sure let's chalk it up completely to greed, easier to complain about the price that way.

My dude wing saber gets it

It's not that they lack effort in hiding the balljoints, not hiding them gives the toys more articulation which is the selling point of the line, it's intentional

In my opinion: Deadpool, Ultron, Ironman, Spiderman have better Revoltechs than their Figuarts/Figma counterparts.
    Unless you want to buy anime girls then yeah go with Figmas, since they mastered those by now

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  4. Murasame

Murasame We like to talk big, vampires do

News Credits:
    Oh, Revoltech? I've been watching the old version on Ebay. But maybe I'll just get the new one then.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    Not just anime girls. Compare Vulcanlog Kaiba with Figma Kaiba... I have them both on a shelf next to each other and yikes. It's actually very disappointing because I would have loved a high-quality toy of his DSOD design. Then if you're after giant robots, a lot of the same characters that have been done by Revoltech have been done far better by things like the Figuarts off-shoots.

By all means, though, if more articulation is worthwhile to you in exchange for a toy that looks terrible on a shelf... Revoltech all the way. I just suppose we have different priorities.

I'm not talking as someone who collects one or the other. I have lots of experience in all of these toy lines and it's always disappointing when it's Revoltech that's done the character that I want.

• Like Like x 1
  6. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Great Shot!

News Credits:
    This. I was really pleasently surprised at those aforementioned Yamaguchi releases. Like Im skipping Mark 52 nano suit SH Figurarts Ironman for his Yamaguchi version. Look at it this way ..all toy companies in Japan have to evolve to stay afloat in the ever changing, fierce competition of capturing the fickle minded, figure obsessed otaku collecting market. Revoletch is no different. Imho in the past few years, both Figma, Good Smile snd Yamaguchi Revoltech have really stepped up their figure making process and design that honestly more collectors are more than happy to buy as an alternative to Bandai. Ive had the fortune to go to Akhihabara afew times and met with my friends in Tokyo on the latest changes to otaku toy culture / trends. Ive also personally collected all the older 2004 Revoltechs with simple ball joints and can say that without a doubt the toys have come a long way indeed from their primitive gen 1 designs. Thank god.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Timesynch

Timesynch Oni Ichibanya Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I can easy think of one. Ultron. The SHF version had no bicep swivel, the colors were dull and details kinda washed out, and in general it was no fun to pose and handle. Felt like Bandai didn't even try with that figure.

The Revoltech version of Ultron is so much better articulated, with crisper colors (metallic silver), and is loads more fun to pose and mess around with. I have both figures so I can speak from that experience.

The Yamaguchi line has come a long way from the Pat Lee TF Revoltech days.

• Like Like x 3
  8. MegaDolrailer

MegaDolrailer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agree on that pretty much, though i wouldn't say they look terrible on a shelf since you can put them in these insane dynamic poses, no shelf revoltech is gonna be just standing there i feel

• Like Like x 1
  9. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You are obviously very positive about this figure and it's not my job to bring you down about it. All I can say is Revoltech has ways to go before I am good with them again. I didn't JUST get Transformers. I've had others with broken parts right out of the package. There are also so many well articulated, transformable Optimus Primes these days that I am not sure this is necessary in the first place. But either way, if Revoltech wants to prove me wrong and truly improve at a reasonable price, then more power to them.

• Like Like x 2
  10. yvk2000

yvk2000 Well-Known Member

I really like what I am seeing here. I prefer a bit more stylization for this kind of figure but that articulation - which brings out a lot of anime dynamism - wins me over.

It's the 35th anniversary and here I am thinking of buying a revoltech figure.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    I didn't mean balance aided by stands but by the actual limbs themselves... the arms on my Magneto are too heavy for the PVC peg joints and revolver joints so the shoulders are very loose. My many smaller Revoltech figures before the scale change never really suffered from that problem.

Thinner figures like a potential Arcee or Hot Rod might not suffer but that new Prime potentially could.

12. calubin175

calubin175 Well-Known Member

While I've been an action figure-centric collector who prefer actionmasters over transformables, I do acknowledge that transformables have improved in terms of poseability and articulation.

However, non-transformables offer something that transformables cannot(aside from Strike Manus maybe): slim torsos (front to back, not just side to side).

Poseability requires both proportions and suitable points of articulation. Adding joints on a fat vehicle chassis still won't look right from side angles.

The recent MS-01 vs TE-01 thread pointed out that TE-01 being the slimmer one looks better in poses even if it has less points of articulation than the wider MS-01.

The improved MP looks clean standing, but does it look clean in certain poses, as in is there too much excess fat?

I will say that Revoltechs are renowned to look good from all angles. Anime/comic book 2D like dynamic posing could only achieve by non-transformables.

My tagline for my toy collecting is: Slim torsos matter (for poseability from all angles).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1549770601616.jpg

I always find it a problem if the head is too far away from the chest, as in the collar is too deep. That is why I prefer non-transformables.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Hanzkaz

Hanzkaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's probably the main thing about the old Revoltech figures that I was never a fan of. It seems to bother me a bit less on the more 'mechanical' ones, which I'm hoping will be the case with the new Optimus.

14. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe I am weird but I think MS Prime looks better- I like the more exaggerated, heroic proportions. His legs also look more natural with the thigh swivel at the top of the thigh rather than above the knee. As for the chest, I always pictured Prime having a big, bulky truck of a torso so the the size is fine. MS shoulders even butterfly enough to let both hands grip the gun. If you want cartoon accuracy, I think TE might be closer, but I don't like his head sculpt. I also like MS's matte finish. The poser also isn't taking advantage of any of MS's added joints. This is opinion based anyways, so I'm not sure I would agree that it's a good example for your case.

That being said, I won't deny that non-transforming transformers can have their advantages. Like I said, I did get many of the previous Transformer Revoltechs. I also bought the 18 inch non Tansforming Prime and Megatron. However, we have just been getting so many Primes in all shapes and sizes thanks to official and third party with what seems like 20 more on the horizon, not the least of which being Flame Toys takes on Prime figures that are non transforming. That's why I just don't know if this new Revoltech is necessary.

But still, I hope fans who still like Revoltech and think this Prime looks good are happy and the final product is as good as you hope it is.

• Like Like x 2
  15. [Wing_Saber-X]

News Credits:
    Amen brother.

16. Dudicus

Dudicus G2 Combiner dudebro.

News Credits:
    For anyone worried about this guy being annoying to handle like Revoltech figures sometimes are, don’t worry. Amazing Yamaguchi figures use standard joints for the most part and only use Revoltech joints sparingly. I have Amazing Yamaguchi Batman and he only uses Revoltech joints for his cape and ab crunch. I wouldn’t even consider the figures in this series to be Revoltech figures at all.

• Like Like x 3
  17. [Wing_Saber-X]

News Credits:
    Thank you for clearing that doubt about the new Revoltechs up. I hope people can focus more about the killer new Convoy sculpt and poses more than bitching about past crappy figs. Its really boring...

I sure as heck will be buying this new Revoltech Yamaguchi Prime in a heratbeat when it releases.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    It's just as boring seeing someone blindly defend this toy when knowledgeable fans(who aren't new to Revoltech at all) have already posted valid reasons for why they are either worried or disappointed. You can dismiss their constructive criticism as "boring" but how does that make your posts look after saying that? I don't know if you realize this but you come off as a long running Takara and now Kaiyodo, fanboy.

If people don't think the toy will turn out that great, that's fine. If it turns out great, color me surprised. I don't think it will but it's possible.

• Like Like x 1
  19. [Wing_Saber-X]

News Credits:
    I just support the artits and hard work behind these releases. Not a uber fanboy in the least. Plus you can ask Megadorailer et el about them dont pick on me only..lol. fyi Ive been collecting toys and action figures for many years and count myself fairly knowledgabele when it comes to toys. Lol.

20. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    I'm not even picking on you I'm being honest. If you mock people for difference of opinion then claim you're being picked on, I don't know what to tell you.

And most of the Revoltech figures that people have praised in this thread weigh less than the Magneto one I have. This new Prime looks chunky. It may have the same issues my Magneto did. I would hate for someone to be excited only to get a Prime which has arms that just flop down and easily fall out of their socket.

• Like Like x 1