Revisiting BEAST WARS

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Mako Crab, Jul 22, 2008.

1. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    "Double Dinobot" was your typical evil clone episode, but it was still good.

2. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was going for 5 reviews in 5 days, but the Superbowl festivities pretty well screwed that up. Instead, I spent yesterday morning taking pictures from The Trigger parts 1 and 2, so it wasn't a complete loss. On with the review!

The Spark
    written by Larry DiTillo

This is the very first episode of Beast Wars that I ever saw and a big part of the reason that Blackarchnia is my favorite character. It's also the episode that introduced the idea of sparks to the overall Transformers mythos; something that has made its way into every TF show since. Sparks have even been retroactively applied to the lasercores of G1. That's an impressive cultural impact by any measure. But enough about all that, we have a stais pod screaming towards the planet's surface!

The Predacons are the first to detect the pod. Tarantulus seems very interested in it (just a hint of his future plans, I'm sure). The trajectory of the falling pod puts it in Predacon territory. Tarantulus really wants to get to that pod first and haggles with Megatron, but Megs can be a stubborn guy. He sends Scorponok and Blackarachnia instead since they're closest.

Megatron: "Blackarachnia will do just fine."

Ah? Ah!? What was I saying about Megatron taking her under his wing? This is the last we'll see of both Megatron and Tarantulus this episode. Kind of frees up some space for Blackarachnia to be a badass all on her own.

Over in Maximal territory Rhinox also spots the falling stasis pod. He tries to call in to the Axalon, but there's too much interference. He sets out alone. Anyone else might be in trouble, but this is Rhinox here. He just took out all the Preds on his own a couple episodes ago. I'm sure he'll be okay. Luckily for him, Cheetor is lounging in a tree somewhere and spots the falling stasis pod too. He's able to contact Tigatron and they're both off, completely unaware that Rhinox is already on his way.

Tigatron: "Watch your back, little cat."
    Cheetor: "Always do, big cat."

Aww! That's cute. They need more of that (for Tigatron's sake). A little comraderie building goes a long way. Meanwhile, Rhinox has already reached the crashed pod. It's severely damaged, but being the smart guy that he is, he cracks open the pod and gets to work right away on it. The pod is damaged to the point that it can't sustain the life of the protoform inside much longer. He needs to get the DNA scanners online and scan something, anything for the protoform to use as a protective covering. Cool bit here; the protoform appears to either be made of or coated with a goo of liquid... metal? Liquid something. Energon radiation levels are so high in this area that Rhinox feels the effects almost the moment he transforms to robot mode. He diverts all his weapons power to amplify his energon dampeners. And here this little protoform is just hanging out without any kind of shielding. That thing is so screwed.

Elsewhere, Blackarachnia and Scorponok are en route to the target, and they get into a little dispute.

Scorponok: "Blah, blah, blah, Just as Megatron said."
    Blackarachnia: "Just as Megatron said. Just as Megatron said! Don't you ever get tired of grovelling to that saurian?"

And thus we see that whatever kindness or confidence Megatron had been showing to Blackarachnia is completely unreciprocated. Or... you know, this idea just occured to me. Literally just this moment. Maybe when Megatron and Blackarachnia are the only ones in the command center, they're making fun of Scorponok for his unwavering blind loyalty. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that Megatron thinks of Scorpy as an idiot for his infallible devotion. That could be. Or maybe Blackarachnia just can't stand suck-ups and is getting fed up with Megatron too. At any rate, she bails on Scorpy.

He goes looking for her but runs into Tigatron instead. It's probably the shortest battle in Beast Wars history. Tigatron freezes Scorponok solid before he can even transform. The missing Blackarachnia drops down behind Tigatron from a tree. He shoots her and she dodges. I repeat- she DODGES the shot from a few feet away! Crazy fast. Tigatron gets a dose of her cyber-venom and that's it for the big cat. I wonder... oh, I wonder if there's anyone fast enough to take her on.... oh, hum hum.... hehehe

Cheetor arrives at the stasis pod to find Rhinox already hard at work. The big rhino is hard at work, and I love that he's got a whole tool-belt's worth of items in his leg pockets. Unfortunately, he's hit a wall. He simply doesn't have the parts necessary to complete the repairs needed to get the pod operational again. Cheetor volunteers to help out and gives us a line that I've always thought summed up his character perfectly.

Cheetor: "Let's get in gear! What do we do?"

He's in such a hurry to help and has no idea what to do. That's Cheetor! :p  Cheetor voluneteers any of his parts to help save the protoform. He shuts down into sleep mode while Rhinox performs the brief surgery. Enter the dream state! Cheetor is in an empty void and everything is being projected with a fish-eye view. Fish-eye? Wall-eye? Wall-E? Whatever. Hey, Rhinox is here too! And he's all fish-eyed looking too. He explains to Cheetor (and us) what a spark is.

Cheetor: "A spark!"
    Rhinox: "Yup. Every Maximal, Predacon and Cybertron has one, and each is different. When a spark comes online there is great joy. When one is extinguished, the universe weeps."

Cheetor wakes up again and remarks at the weird dream he just had.

Rhinox: "Tell me later."

But Rhinox! You were in it! And it was a premonition, I tells ya'! A premonition of things to come! No, really. Cheetor's good about that. Rhinox uses the chip that he took from Cheetor and inserts it into the pod. The liquid gooey protoform is stabilized into something more recognizable as a robot, but he still needs to get the DNA scanner working if they want to have any hope of saving it. Cheetor reverts to beast mode and takes off to keep watch for Predacons.

And right about that time Blackarachnia shows up. Cheetor actually surprises her. He's keeping watch up on a large rock and she never even knew until he opened his big mouh. Oh, silly cat. You're about to wish that you'd just started shooting, although that wouldn't be very heroic of our Maximal. Some great lines in here! Blackarachnia shoots a stasis web at Cheetor, which he easily dodges.

Cheetor: "You'll have to be faster than that."
    Blackarachnia: "You don't know what fast is, furball!"
    Cheetor: "I know what ugly is, and you're it."

Do you think she remembered that little insult when he started hitting on her in season 3? Hehehe. Back to the battle! She leaps up on the rock that he's perched on, but he jumps over her head and lands back on the ground. In robot mode now, he turns and fires, blowing up the rock and burying her under some rubble. Pfft! What's the big deal? Predacons aren't so bad. He puts away his gun and transforms to beast mode. Blackarachnia erupts from beneath the rocks! Oh, you made her mad now! She opens fire with her machine-gun legs and the nimble little cat scrambles for the safety of a nearby boulder.

Blackarachnia: "Come out, kitty cat. I won't hurt you... much."

Cheetor looks right at the screen as though some unseen director is telling him, "Yeah. Stick your head out," and like an idiot, he does. Blackarachnia opens fire again and he ducks back behind the boulder! LOL!! What was he thinking?? Okay, back to robot mode. He leaps out firing wildly but she's gone. Where'd she go? AGGGHHHHH! She's right next to you, idiot! She grabs him by the arm and for a second of unbridled terror, stares him down. His little-kid eyes can't handle the terror! She headbutts him! His gun falls to the ground. Backhand to the head! Jump kick to the head! Jumping roundhouse kick to the head! Front kick to the head! Double hammer strike to the shoulders! He's down on his knees! Knee to the face! My gawd, she's demolishing him! She moves in for the kill and shoots at point-blank-range with her crossbow. Cheetor *CATCHES* the bolt and flings it back into her face! Now that's fast, especially considering how many hits he just took to the head. Awesome fight, and the real match of this episode if you ask me. She's done.

Just a few yards away Rhinox is finally able to get the DNA scanner online. He had to short himself out to do it, practically crippling himself and to add insult to injury, the DNA scanner isn't detecting any compatible lifeforms.

Back to beast mode. Cheetor is about to regroup with Rhinox when Waspinator shows up. Okay, okay, no problem. He'll just- WHAT?! Terrorsaur too? He starts blasting into the air, trying to fend them both off, but they've got him pegged. They herd him all over the place, but a lucky blast from an energon geyser takes care of Waspinator. It's his own fault for flying so low. What's the point of flying if you're going to cruise at ground level? Silly bug. I have to mention that the camera makes me sick during this scene. It's sort of locked onto Waspy as he flies after Cheetor, but it makes it really disorienting because the bug is always shifting around and the camera jumps with him. Ick. No fun at all.

Cheetor celebrates his little victory over Waspy just in time to get blasted by Terrorsaur. It was a valiant effort, but this kitty cat is out of the fight. And one of my favorite shots of the whole episode- Terrorsaur comes in for a landing by the stasis pod as Rhinox looks on helplessly. Terrorsaur walks right up to the incapacitated rhino and prepares to blast him right in the head, when the DNA scanner picks up something. Ah, see? Priorities. Gotta' have your priorities straight. Terrorsaur freaks out, but it's too late. The protoform flies out of the pod in a blinding flash of white light and there's no chance that it can be turned into a Predacon now.

Rhinox: "Still feeling lucky, Terrorsaur? Well are ya'... punk."

A giant eagle dives out of the sky and yanks Terrorsaur right off the ground! Small children watching this show should be scared for their lives. This is what could happen to them! The eagle slams Terrorsaur face first into the side of a mountain. All that does is rile him up. He takes off after the bird and fires on it, blasting away tail feathers, which gives him a good chuckle. Wait? What? Where'd that bird go? It got around him somehow and comes flying at him with the sun behind it. Terrorsaur can't see it well enough to take a shot. The eagle transforms and it's got a female voice! It's... AirRazor! Airazor? Airrazor? I've never been clear on the spelling, but I prefer AirRazor.

Air battle! They grapple and fall towards the ground, breaking their grip at the last second so neither would crash. Terrorsaur shoots, she ducks and weaves (everyone is really good at dodging today), and blasts him repeatedly with some wrist rockets. Bits of Terrorsaur litter the ground below. Now, the first time I saw this I thought, "Oh hey, that's pretty cool." And then his head lands RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE SCREEN!!!

Me: "AGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!

That was just so evil, I couldn't believe they got away with doing that in a cartoon, even if it is just robots. AirRazor lands near Rhinox and somehow knows his name already. How? I don't know, and they never explain. He did have himself hooked up to the stasis pod for a while, so that's probably it. But as we'll soon find out, there are a few metaphysical elements working their way into the show ever so slowly.

Everyone finally returns to the Axalon with AirRazor and all the introductions are handled. Hey, it's Primal and Rattrap and Dinobot! Just seems so weird that we've had a whole episode without them. Kind of a nice treat to see them at the end like this. :D  Primal takes AirRazor on the grand tour of the base and as they leave Rhinox says:

Rhinox: "When a spark comes online, there is great joy."

Cheetor looks on but says nothing. That's right, baby! It's another premonition that came true! Cheetor's got the gift! Nice, touching end to a pretty cool episode. And a pretty cool episode to be introduced to Beast Wars with. This episode, combined with the next two episodes in which Blackarachnia is also a supreme badass and Megatron and Tarantulus are nowhere to be seen, cemented her place in my heart as "FAVORITE CHARACTER" in the whole show. Of course, I love pretty much all the characters, so after a while it became too hard to pick just one favorite. But she has the distinction of being the only one that I ever classified as my one single favorite.
    I always hoped to see a strong friendship between Rhinox and AirRazor after this episode, but it never happened. They were friends, sure, but not really close the way Rhinox and Optimus are, or Rattrap and Rhinox or even Rattrap and Dinobot are. It's a shame, but it always seemed like she kind of got the shaft like Tigatron and got sent off to wander around, perpetually on patrol somewhere. We'll see if my memory holds up in future episodes, but it never seemed like they gave her much to do. Alright, enough rambling for now.

Next up: The Trigger part 1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/Spark1.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/Spark2.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/Spark3.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/Spark4.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/Spark5.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/Spark6.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/Spark7.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/M...rab/Spark11.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/M...rab/Spark12.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/M...rab/Spark14.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/M...rab/Spark15.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/M...rab/Spark16.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/M...rab/Spark17.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/M...rab/Spark18.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/M...rab/Spark19.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/M...rab/Spark20.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/M...rab/Spark22.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/M...rab/Spark23.jpg

And that's all for now! The rest of the week is for school and work. I'm going to try for another 5 reviews in 5 days starting this Thursday. See you then. :D 

3. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    This episode really set up the Transformers mythos for me and it did a good jo as well. I think this was one of my first episodes as well.

4. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    The Trigger
    written by Bob Forward

Ah, the frigid north: the brisk air, the stark snowfields. Beautiful. Guess who likes the cold and the snow? Snow tiger, Tigatron! Seems like it's been a while since we've seen him. Huh, I guess it was only last episode. Huh. A sudden tremor causes a minor avalanche that showers boulders on Tigatron's head. *L* A little comic relief, yes, I approve.

Tigatron: "Though I am close to these rugged lands, they still have their secrets."

Ugh, it's too early in the day to start with that. C'mon!

Tigatron: "And I have my duties. Time for my weekly report."

Ah, good save! I prefer duty-bound Tigatron to poetic Tigatron. Personal preference. He treks over to a large transmittor and calls up the Maximal base. Inside the Axalon we find Rhinox conducting an analysis of the two moons orbitting the planet. According to his math, one of the moons seems off as though it didn't have enough mass- like it were hollow. Rhinox is so cool. He could be talking about anything and it would sound interesting. He'd make such a cool professor of science or math or something. Soo... hollow moon? Sounds like foreshadowing to me.
    Rattrap's lounging about the comm. system when Tigatron's call comes through. They have a pleasant exchange (more of this, please- for Tigatron's sake), when Tigatron's interrupted by a surprise attack from Waspy and Terrorsaur. The comm. line is still open and everyone at the Axalon can hear the whole thing as their arctic buddy has the transmittor dropped on him. Rhinox and Primal give each other a look.

Rhinox: "Go! I'll alert the others."

Awesome. Rhinox is so awesome. Back in the arctic! The transmittor fell right on top of Tigatron, but he hefts it aside. Now that's durable! The battle resumes, when one of Terrorsaur fires one of his custom-painted missles. Nice touch. Turns out it's a dud, but - OMG- Waspinator's going crazy with the rapid firing! When did he become cool?! His flurry of shots hits the dud missle and blows up the mountainside. Tigatron hangs onto the ledge for dear life... and hangs on... and hangs on.... he's losing his grip, unaware that a mysterious dark cloud is passing by just beneath him. He loses his grip and falls into the cloud below.

Above, Waspinator and Terrorsaur celebrate their victory. Like a smart guy, Terrorsaur thinks they should go collect some wreckage as proof of the snowcat's demise.

Waspy: "Waspinator wants his heaaad!"
    Terrorsaur: "It's mine, bug-face!"

Whoa, that's kind of... sick. It's so weird hearing something that demented being said in Waspy's cute little voice. Okay then, so they cruise over the surface of the valley below but find nothing. Kind of odd. On some kind of hunch, they fly into the cloud that Tigatron fell into. Oh, there's something in there alright. We can only see the flash of weapons fire and the sounds of battle followed by a flash of light that fills the screen. *giddy giddy* Oh my gawd, it's something epic! You just know it!

The Maximals are all crowded around the comm. system, when Primal reports his findings. He's at the sight of the transmittor, which I notice he's set back into place, and reports signs of heavy battle. It was obviously an aerial assault.

Dinobot: "Waspinator and Terrorsaur."
    Rattrap: "Ohh, uh, thanks for the insight there, Dino-brain. You want your expert consultant fee now?"
    Dinobot: "No need. I can simply extract it from your hide."
    Rhinox: "HEY! NOT NOW."

Awesome. Dinobot and Rattrap fall silent but continue to make faces and rude gestures at each other. Hehe. There's no sign of wreckage, so the Maxis are holding out hope that maybe Tigatron's been captured or escaped somewhere.

And over in the volcanic region, we have AirRazor keeping a sharp lookout on Predacon activity. She spots a ragged Terrorsaur and Waspinator limping their way back to base (or whatevever limping in mid-air would be called).

AirRazor: "Bok bok bok bkaw!"

Hm? Yeah, I know. That's not what she really said. But seriously, she shouldn't talk to herself. She makes some comment about how the grunge look must be coming back and it always struck me (as does a lot of her dialogue) as though she were trying to be cool. Trying to hard, maybe? She flies off to report back.

In the Pred base Megatron demands an explanation from the nearly-scrapped duo. Terrorsaur reveals the whole ordeal; they both flew into the dark cloud and found a flying island inside. Tigatron was there and still very much alive. They engaged in battle, when an obelisk at the center of the island fired a massive energy beam at them, nearly destroying them. Now honestly, who knew what an obelisk was before this episode? Learning new words here, kiddies. :D 

Terrorsaur: "It was a monument!"
    Waspinator: "Yeah, monument!"

Ah, Waspy's so cute! They both collapse. Megatron orders them to get themselves to the CR-tank, not bothering to notice that they can't move. Megatron is especially interested in the power that the obelisk represents and seeks to claim it for himself immediately. He orders Blackarachnia and Scorponok to infiltrate the island and secure it for the Preds. I like how Scorpy snaps to attention (before relaxing a little and scratching his butt) and Blackarachnia can't be bothered to move from her leaning position.

Blackarachnia: "You don't think it might be wise to first discover who created such an artifact, or why?"
    Megatron: "Do not question my orders! Time enough for such inquiries when we control the island's power!"

Hm. I think this is the first time he's ever barked at her. Sounds like trouble. Makes me wonder if Scorponok told Megatron about all those nasty things she was saying in the last episode. She takes command right away and orders Scorpy to follow her out. She does? She's giving orders to Scorponok now? Scorponok, the 2nd in command? And he doesn't say a word. Maybe it's just understood that she holds higher rank than him now? They're about to head out the door, when Megatron calls Scorpy over for some last second secret orders. Blackarachnia can't help but notice the suspicious behavior. Just by looking at her face, you know she's already figured it out. Hm, you know, maybe Scorpy is still Megatron's favorite afterall.

AirRazor has returned to the Axalon now and reports her findings.

AirRazor: "It was Terrorsaur and Waspinator, and they were seriously slagged. Almost scrap."

I kind of like how she delievers this line. It sounds like there's a little bit of nervousness in her voice. You can hear a slight waver in her delivery the way someone giving a speech in front of a class might waver. I like it. Makes me think that despite her personal confidence, she's only been with the team a very short time and doesn't quite yet feel comfortable when reporting in to a superior officer. Plus she's not coming off like she's trying to be cool. This is more like the *real* AirRazor and I think I like her better. Yeah, all that from one tiny little waver in her voice. Kudos to Pauline Newstone, AirRazor's voice actress!

Cheetor bursts in, and as is usual for him, leaps right up on the table to report that Blackarachnia and Scorponok have left the Pred base. Well, big news indeed! Optimus orders AirRazor to follow them and she's off. Cheetor's all hopeful that maybe the Preds are moving out so fast because Tigatron is still alive. Maybe...

Oh hey, there's Tigatron! He's made his way onto the main body of the flying island paradise and... oh boy, here comes the poet.

Tigatron: "Truly this is a land of wonder."

Okay, it's not so bad. He's already moving on. It's all cool, but unbeknownst to him, he's just triggered a booby-trap. A pit opens up, but he jumps to safety. OMG, spring-loaded catapults with boulders! The smash the ground like hammers, Tigatron dodging each one, but there's so many! Everywhere he turns, more boulders slamming down on his face! As a last resort he busts out his gun and destroys the last of the boulders. Good idea. Hm? What's that sound? Like some kind of humming... seems to be coming from the obelisk. DEAR GAWD, AGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!! The obelisk fires on Tigatron and destroyes EVERYTHING in its path! The tiger jumps to safety and quickly realizes that the obelisk is programmed to fire on anyone using weapons.

Tigatron: "It would seem that energy weapons are not welcome in this peaceful land. So be it. Let me be a visitor, not an invader."

Alright, poet, keep it moving, keep it moving.

Another development; Blackarachnia and Scorponok have arrived near the cloud. The description matches, she says. Well yeah- it's a cloud. I guess it's best not to ask how they identified the right cloud, although the tremors might be a giveaway. Scorponok sends one of his cyber-bees into the cloud to investigate. Everything checks out- the island, the obelisk, oh and there's Tigatron pouncing on your bee! Scorponok gives a startled yelp (he was watching everything through a remote link with the cyber-bee's optics). Next order or business is to get on the island. No problem. Blackarachnia fires a grappling hook into the cloud and in no time, she's reeling them up. Hehe, Scorpy's hanging off of her. Cute.

AirRazor: "What's this? Blackarachnia tries to lasso a cloud? More surprisingly, she seems to have succeeded. Let's check this out."

Ugh, more of that talking to herself. Someone needs to stop her from doing that. Scorponok? You've got a couple spare missles, right?

Scorpy: "Yeah."

Well?

Scorpy: "Oh yeah, sure thing."

He fires his missles at AirRazor *just* as she spotted Tigatron! He sees her go down and rushes over to help her out. Oh yeah, and that obelisk? Turns out it hates missles just as much as energy weapons. It fires on Scorponok's position, nearly roasting both of the Predacons! They survive the blast and Blackarachnia quickly figures out that the obelisk only reacts to weapons-fire. Clever, clever.

Tigatron has AirRazor and helps her recover. He informs her that he was able to reprogram one of Scorponok's cyber-bees and send it back to the Axalon with a Code 1 Emergency message. He brings them up to speed on everything happening with the island. He needs backup! If they can't stop the Predacons from securing the island, the Beast Wars are all but over!

And that's a "To Be Continued!" There's a short preview of the next episode, which- I have to say- completely spoils every major plot-twist and even shows the end. Way to go, guys. What were they thinking? Anyway, great episode. There's a lot of foreshadowing happening here with the hollow moon sub-plot, this new flying island. I mean, where'd that come from? Someone might have brushed it off as being like the floating mountain that Terrorsaur used to power himself up in "Power Surge", but there's no denying that the obelisk on the island is completely alien. We've definitely got something big brewing here.
    Love to see Blackarachnia starting to branch out on her own a little more and questioning Megatron's orders. Good to see she's got a mind of her own. Surprisingly, I like Tigatron well enough in this episode even with all his poetic musings, but AirRazor- man, I just don't know about her. What are they doing to her poor character? Anyway, that's all for this one.

Next up: The Trigger part 2!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/Trigger1.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/Trigger2.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/Trigger5.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/Trigger6.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/Trigger7.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/Trigger8.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/Trigger10.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/Trigger11.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/Trigger12.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/Trigger13.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/Trigger15.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/Trigger17.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/Trigger18.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/Trigger19.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/Trigger21.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/Trigger22.jpg

5. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    These two episodes were about Tigertron, AirRazor, BlackArchnia, and Scorponok. When, I saw this episode and it's preview the first itme, I was "Holy...", because this was another first episode. This was truly my first cartoon cliffhangerso you can imagine how anxiuos I wanted to see the next episode. I was seven the first time I saw this.

6. Lakanl

Lakanl Footmaster

Ahh Beast Wars. That's how I got into TF in the first place.

7. Spoon

Spoon Banned

It's a different situation.
    In Beast Machines, they had removed the programming, but Rhinox's spark had been twisted. They didn't restore it, because Rhinox already had his free will again, and forcibly changing it into something they deemed appropriate would make them the same as Megatron.

8. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    I just realized the other day that between The Spark, The Trigger parts 1 and 2, and Spider's Game, that Blackarachnia gets a lot of screen-time while Megatron is largely out of the picture. And since these are the first episodes I ever saw, I see now why she easily became my favorite. :D 

The spark contamination is the only thing that makes that whole mess almost tolerable, since they obviously wouldn't have the technology to cure something like that. However, Rattrap never removed any of the Vehicon programming. All he did was remove the memory blocks. Of course, it was a botched operation, and thus we have Rhinox merging with Tankor. Kills me. At the very least, they showed that his spark was restored to its normal self after he died. Poor Rhinox. :( 

9. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    The Trigger part 2
    written by Bob Forward

Okay, it's part 2 of this epic two-parter! Let's kick this sucker into high gear! We're back on the island with Tigatron and AirRazor and- ohhhh gawd. What is he doing? *smacks forehead*

Tigatron: "It is as though I have come home. Though my heart is a Maximal fluid pump, my soul is that of a tiger. And on this strange flying island, despite its weaponry, I at last feel myself at peace"

I'm about to shoot my hand here so I can't type anymore. Oh wait- there's Blackarachnia and Scorponok! They're well on their way to the obelisk, when Blackarachnia spots a strange alien symbol on a rock. It begins glowing red and a pit-trap opens beneath her. She stops her fall with a strand of cyber-web and pulls herself back up. Studying the symbol on the rock, she deduces its meaning. Hehe, oh and Scorponok is dumb as rocks, so he doesn't get it.

Tigatron and AirRazor again. She's still pretty screwed up from being blasted with missles and can't fly. Tigatron offers her a ride in the meantime. *cranks up the Dio*

"Ride the tiger! Sole survivor! Holy diver! Something, something."

Elsewhere, Primal and Rattrap have departed from the Axalon. Primal's flying with Rattrap on his back, being that the rat is the only one small and light enough for him to carry the whole way. And besides, he wants Rattrap along for his awesome saboteur skills (they've got an obelisk to blow up). Rhinox is working his technical magic inside the Axalon again, this time setting up a laser link with Primal, so they can stay in contact even inside the cloud. Cheetor comes running in again to report that Waspinator and Terrorsaur are back online and left the Pred base. I swear, that's all Cheetor does anymore. Wonder if he ever gets tired of running back and forth.

Cheetor's report couldn't have come at a less opportune time. Primal and Rattrap come under attack from the fliers the moment after Cheetor's done talking. The Preds actually stand a good chance of winning this one, since Primal can't maneuver so well with Rattrap on his back. The Maximals are hit and go spinning wildly out of control! Primal recovers in time to get nailed again by Waspinator this time. Man, bad day for the boss-monkey. They dog-fight a bit more, but Waspy goes down pretty quick.
    Terrorsaur flies over to Rattrap to mock the falling rat at eye level. *flicks the rat's nose!* Oh, this is cute! You know what though? Just because Rattrap is free-falling, doesn't mean he can't still transform and blast Terrorsaur in the face! A stunned Terrorsaur reverts to beast mode and Rattrap wrangles him in mid-air. Heh, the rat found himself a ride.

Back on the island, oh what's happening. Blackarachnia spots another of the symbols that marks a booby-trap and yanks Scorponok's stupid butt away from it. He gets all indignant and she doesn't bother to explain herself.
    AirRazor sees all of this from miles away (eagle eyes, you know) and notices that she and Tigatron are standing right next to one of those strange symbols too. Booby-trap! The narrow passage they're passing through begins to rumble and get even more narrow. The walls are closing in! I'm kind of impressed. The mountains are moving. With no choice, Tigatron transforms and blasts away a boulder blocking their exit. Great shot- the boulder explodes, revealing the obelisk off in the distance. The Maximals can see the monument charging up and run for their lives just as it fires a powerful beam of energy at their last location. Tigatron carries AirRazor like a football and dives for safety! Awesome. I love that thing.

Up above, Primal and Rattrap have passed through the cloud cover and can see the island hidden inside. Terrorsaur flies right at a tree branch and knocks Rattrap off. Ah, that's just funny. Good to see the Preds get a couple good hits in now and then. He flies off somewhere and all the Maximals regroup. Tigatron explains the situation to Primal and Rattrap: watch out for traps, still gotta' stop the Predacons, the usual.

AirRazor: "And don't use energy weapons. This place gets ticked if you do. Bum"

Bum? I'm listening to it over and over, but it still sounds like, "Bum." Ehh... okay, then. Rattrap hears all this and states matter-of-factly that this flying paradise is really a gigantic puzzle meant to test intelligent species. You know, like a lab-rat. And generally speaking, lab-rats don't have a long lifespan. Hehehe. Rattrap is so awesome. I love that he sees this paradise for what it is. Tigatron is still determined to protect it though. It's gonna' be hard though, since Blackarachnia and Scorponok have already arrived at the obelisk.
    Minor problem- how do they blast a hole in the door without getting themselves blasted by the obelisk? Minor solution- trick Waspy and Terrorsaur into opening fire. The fliers realize their mistake a moment too late as the obelisk charges up and blasts the two of them out of the sky. Blackarachnia blasts the wall of the tower before its primary weapon has time to recharge. The inside of the obelisk is... a... giant engine? Wow, looks kinda' cheap. She's just so happy. So happy! She can't control her glee and openly states how she's going to use the power of the obelisk to destroy the Maximals and take over the Predacons.
    Oh hey, guess who's still here? Yeah, Scorponok heard all of that. C'mon, Blackarachnia, you've gotta' be a little smarter than that. He targets her with his missles, but she states that at such a close range he'd be destroyed by the blast too.

Scorponok: "Heh, no problem. I'll just get a little distance."

He backs up, not noticing the booby-trap symbol on the wall behind him. It starts to glow red... PIT TRAP!!! He takes a fall, but manages to grab the ledge of the pit.

Blackarachnia: "Make that a lot of distance"

KICK! That pit goes all the way through the island. Scorpy will be falling for a long time. She heads up the stairs to the top of the tower and blasts her way into the main chamber. She cautiously steps into the center of the room and onto an alien symbol. She should know by now to watch out for that, but in this case it's a good thing. She's engulfed in light and infused with the power to control the obelisk with a thought. Oh hell yeah! She's also sporting a new silver paint job. Don't know what it is with making all the characters silver when they turn evil (Rhinox) or power up (Blackarachnia), but there you go. She takes the throne and - SCREEEEEE! Drags her claws on the arm-rests, causing sparks to fly! Oh now that's just cool. Gotta' love that.

Blackarachnia: "Let there be... light"

Ohhhhhh... yeah! The obelisk spreads a wide beam in all directions, which converge up into the sky and blow away the cloud cover! Ohhhhhh, man, that is so slaggin' awesome. The sunny paradise sky is obliterated, revealing the real sky, which happens to be a lovely navy blue night sky. Now that she can see where she's steering the island, she puts the obelisk on the "Crazy Insane" setting and has that tower firing shots in every direction at random and all over the place! AirRazor's wings are working again and she makes a daring move. She flies right up to the top of the obelisk and fires on the main weapon. Sounds like a good idea, but that thing is a little tougher than she thought and blasts her at point blank with that grunge-inducing laser.

The obelisk rises out of the ground and the island picks up some serious speed. Blackarachnia's not wasting any time, she's taking that thing for the Axalon right away! They're so close, that Primal can see the Axalon from the island! The epic music has kicked in! My gawd, it's epic! Primal calls up Rhinox and orders a complete evacuation. Klaxons and red lights are blaring everywhere inside the base as the remaining Maximals scramble to take what they can and get clear.

On the island! Crazy!! Tigatron and Rattrap are charging the tower, when an explosion rocks them off their feet and dumps a boulder on the rat's leg. He's pinned to the ground. He tells Tigatron to forget about him and just get inside the obelisk. Someone has to shut that thing down.

Tigatron: "But the defenses! .... and your leg..."

Hehe, I always got a laugh out of that. It always sounded like he was just looking for a good excuse to avoid running head-first into a laser storm, and who could blame him, really? He musters up the courage though and charges off, while Rattrap fires on the obelisk from his pinned position. The main laser of the tower fires up and blasts the boulder- and Rattrap- clear across the battlefield. Doesn't seem to bother Rattrap. He's just glad he's got his leg free.

Tigatron gets inside the obelisk pretty easily and with no one guarding the engine-room, he fires exactly 3 shots and destroys the entire thing. The Maximals all hastily abandon the island. The island overshoots the Axalon and tears itself to pieces as it careens through the rocky valley and skids to a halt. Crazy. The obelisk collapses to the ground, but just when you think they've won- the tower sends a signal to an identical looking obelisk on one of the moons. The moon-based obelisk sends a message into a portal in space. Wot?!?!

Ah, yes, and here comes the moral lesson of the day. Tigatron gets all preachy about how they were given a paradise, but they couldn't stop shooting at each other long enough to keep it. Yeah, we know. Rattrap pipes up and brushes the deeply philisophical moment aside to register his concerns about who got the message that was sent into space. Mmm, hehehe. I don't know, but I'll bet they'll be showing up at the end of the season. :D  Oh hey, there's AirRazor and she looks fine. Didn't she take a direct hit at point blank range from the "eye" of the obelisk? I'm surprised she's not half dead from that. Oh well.

And that's it for this one! Love it! Love it! Great, epic feeling episode. And thanks to Wayward Martian over on the Padded Cell forums, I can't watch this episode without seeing the parallels to the Garden of Eden now. I don't know how I never saw it before, but there it is. Great. Uh... what else? You know, Tigatron really takes a back seat in this episode considering he was the star of part 1. And AirRazor, that poor bird, I think I see why she started to take a liking to Tigatron after he saved her again and again in this two-parter. I have to wonder how Blackarachnia could safely return to the Predacons after she admitted her whole plan to take over the Preds to Scorpy. I'm guessing there must be some kind of serious punishment waiting for her. All in all though, just a great episode.
    I think the reason Beast Wars is so good at epics is because the rest of the time they make such a big deal about the small stuff, that when something actually big happens, it feels just that much more important. We have an entire episode about getting a stasis pod working again. We have an episode about installing the new security system in the Axalon. An episode about trying to contact a probe. One about Cheetor setting relay posts out in the field. And then we have this episode and it's just off the charts.

Next up: Spider's Game!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Tigerhawk, is that you?!?

[​IMG]

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/Trigger24.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/Trigger25.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/Trigger26.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/Trigger27.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/Trigger28.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/Trigger29.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/Trigger30.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/Trigger33.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/Trigger34.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/Trigger35.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/Trigger38.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/Trigger39.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/Trigger40.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/Trigger42.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/Trigger43.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/Trigger44.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/Trigger45.jpg

10. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Good conclusion to a two-parter. Usually, I watch Dark Voyage, because it's a break from Tigertron and AirRazor. Note how it doesn't include Inferno, but Air Razor and Tigertron are mentioned.

11. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    Yeah, I was thinking about that, but decided to go with the normal airing order afterall. Inferno being absent and unmentioned from Dark Voyage isn't enough to convince me that it's out of order, since Blackarachnia is also absent and unmentioned. Besides, Inferno probably needed a lot of extra time in the CR tank after being blown up. :p 

I think Inferno is also missing from Possession, but then it starts to come down to how many episodes I really want to move around. And it's hard to know if Dark Voyage and Possession would have aired before or after "The Trigger", soooo... yeah, I'm just leaving them where they are.

12. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    Spider's Game
    written by Larry DiTillo

This episode is so gorgeous. I wound up taking 68 pictures originally, way more than what I usually do, and somehow managed to trim that down to just 25. Wasn't easy! Kills me to throw away good pictures. So let's get to it. We're in space and I'm not sure, but I think this is the first time we've seen a whole ring of stasis pods orbiting the planet. No sense bothering to count how many are there, because we're only concerned with one of them today. This lone stasis pod breaks orbit and falls towards the planet.

Deep below ground in his lair, Tarantulus detects the falling stasis pod. He's been expecting this (cuz he's so good at math that he predicted when it would fall!), and sends out a magna-pulse that disables all the electronics in both the Predacon and Maximal bases. Tarantulus wants to make sure that he's the only one getting to that stasis pod. The Maximals are immediately suspicious of Predacons and Primal flies out to scope the area.

Well, so far so good. Tarantulus is a happy man.

"Hey there"

Tarantulus freaks out! It's Blackarachnia! She just waltzed right into his secret lair and he never knew. She has him figured out pretty quickly (so she thinks) and offers to help him reprogram the new stasis pod. He gives a chuckle, because she's so far off-base as to what his true intentions are. But having a new Predacon in the mix is always a bonus, so he agrees to let her come along.

Elsewhere, Tigatron is roaming around doing... whatever it is he does, and spots the falling stasis pod. He tries to radio into the base, but there's a lot of static today. Hm. Odd, yes? Well no time to worry about it now. He's off to secure the pod before the Preds get to it. Yeah, good luck.

The stasis pod gently hovers to a soft landing right next to an ant hill. It scans the lifeforms and begins synthesizing a beast mode right away. OMG!! Giant foot in the foreground! It's Tarantulus and he just looks so bad stepping into the frame like that.

Tarantulus: "Excellent. Completely intact."

Whatever could he be talking about? Blackarachnia gives a quizzical look as he proceeds to his work. She can't go a minute without teasing him though.

Blackarachnia: "You are a clever one. No wonder Megatron fears you!"
    Tarantulus: "Is that why you're helping me betray him?"
    Blackaraachnia: "Megatron is powerful but inferior. I would make a much better leader. Besides, you're so cute!"

Kind of interesting. I mean, I can understand where she's coming from. On her birthday the first thing she saw was Megatron getting dropped by a rat. After that Terrorsaur blew him up. She's assumed command of all the other Predacons (except Tarantulus) and done well leading them into the field. She spends enough time on the bridge of the Pred ship to see how Megatron operates and to see the flaws in his plans. So yeah, why not? Dump that T-rex!

Tarantulus just gives her a look like he already knows what a tease she is. More of a glare. He returns to his work of reprogramming the protoform. It's all good. He's even brought another black widow spider along so that he can create a third arachnid. When the computer informs him that it's already selected a beast form, Tarantulus is... less than happy. At least it'll be a Pred, right?

Back on the grassy plains Tigatron is running at top speed, completely unaware that he's about 10 miles and 10 minutes too late. Waspinator just happens to be hanging out in a tree and gives chase, blasting the white tiger from behind and sending him flying head-first into a rock. Hehehe. I find Tigatron much more tolerable when he's being hurt. Call me twisted. :p  AirRazor pops in to the rescue and minces Waspy with ABSOLUTELY no effort whatsoever. She lands next to Tigatron and he gives her the scoop on the stasis pod. He's too screwed up to run (though he won't let on to it) and sends her ahead of him.

Back at the stasis pod! OMG!!! It's glowing! The whole screen is lit up with bright white light! There's something moving in the stasis pod... OMG, it's a giant red fire ant!!

Blackarachnia: "Ew. Another insect. How depressing."

Was that a shot at Hasbro? Hehe. I like to think so. Why so many bugs, Hasbro?! Why not some other kind of PREDators? The giant fire ant transforms into probably the most awesome Pred of season 1 (maybe of all time)- Inferno! And he's crazy! Crazy roar! Crazy sharp teeth! Oh, this guy is lots of fun! He perceives the spiders as invaders to the colony and blasts them! Tarantulus and Blackarachnia run for cover, quickly deducing that something must have happened to Inferno's logic circuits. He believes he's a real fire ant and the stasis pod is his colony.

AirRazor spots the pod and Inferno below as she soars overhead. Why wait for her to land though? Inferno kicks up the MOST AWESOME flight mode in the entire show! His ant thorax turns into a blender/propeller sort of thing with a giant jet engine hidden inside. Now that's just cool. I love that thing. He flies up to meet her and she gives him a warm Maximal greeting.

AirRazor: "As Cheetor would say, that flight mode is ultra gear! I'm AirRazor. Who are you"
    Inferno: "Defender of the colony, and you are an invader."

He shoots but she easily dodges. Ahh, you know what though- I knew it. She's getting all her "cool" lines from Cheetor. And that's the sad part, because Cheetor is so not cool. He's the "dippy cub".

Blackarachnia takes the opportunity to blast AirRazor while she's distracted. Inferno is all shocked by this strange turn of events. Spiders helping to defend the colony?! And how did he recognize them as spiders anyway? They've been in robot mode the whole time. Doesn't matter. She claims to know the queen of the colony personally and only wants to talk with Inferno to gain his trust. Interesting. Who's the queen? Kind of interesting that she wouldn't try to recruit Inferno to her side, but then again, he's already identified her as not of the colony. Moving on.

Tarantulus steals away with the stasis pod while they're talking (the colony!).

Inferno lands and he's all surging with electricity as the effects of energon radiation begin to take their toll. Blackarachnia has to explain to him that he's in robot mode and needs to revert to beast mode. I think... I don't think Inferno even realizes he has a robot mode. I think he must be all ant all the time. That's just cool.

Blackarachnia: "You're a Predacon... like me."

Hm... I always thought she sounded a little sullen when delivering this line. Maybe. Maybe seeing Tarantulus reprogram a protoform has her wondering about her own creation. She explains to him that their mission as Predacons is to conquer and rule. Inferno declines, saying that only the royalty rules, and as a soldier his only goal in life is to defend the colony. *looks around* THE COLONY?!?!?!?! It's gone! Inferno scans the area and spots Tarantulus some distance off hauling the pod away. Oh man, that crazy spider doesn't know what he got himself into.

Tigatron meets up with AirRazor. Now it's her turn to be too hurt to go on. She radios for Primal to rondezvous at her location while Tigatron goes on ahead to retrieve the stasis pod.

Tigatron: "I hunt better alone."

Yeah, yeah, we all know. You do everything better alone.
    Scorponok is up in a crow's nest keeping watch while the base's power is still down. He spots Tarantulus dragging the pod and Inferno as well. He calls up to Megatron and informs him of the situation. Guess who's coming to the party!
    Outside, Tarantulus makes his stand against Inferno! He traps the ant in a stasis web. Ahh, finally, all the interlopers have been removed. For a second anyway. Scorponok shows up and relays Megatron's orders to Tarantulus (he wants the pod and Inferno brought to the base). Yeah, that's not happening. Tigatron blasts the pod and blows it up.

Inferno: "OMG, THE COLONYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!"

Blackarachnia gets the drop on Tigatron and sends him rolling down a cliff and into the waiting machine gun legs of Tarantulus. NOW THAT'S SOME DAMAGE!! They really made this one look painful. The metallic sound of bullets ripping through metal, the way Tigatron staggers backwards, just the whole general screwed up look of Tigs when he's shot to pieces. Even his beast mode head has a black eye! I love battle damage in this show. Megatron shows up and that's the spider's cue to run like mad. Um... why exactly? Megatron didn't have any inclination that they were trying to betray him, did he? Maybe he did, but... nothing ever specifically stated. So yeah! Tigatron's all screwed up and barely able to stand!

Tigatron: "Who's the first to sample my bite."

Uh... I bet AirRazor would be down for that. As far as threatening one-liners go, that doesn't rank too high on the charts. But I'll give him points for putting on a brave face against insurmountable odds. Inferno busts out of the stasis web and goes crazy! Megatron takes a liking to him immediately and makes sure to blame Tigatron for destroying the colony. That's all Inferno needed to hear! Tigatron takes another pounding from Megatron and Inferno this time! That tiger is more than half-dead, I swear!

Primal and AirRazor arrive just in time and blow up Inferno. Poor Inferno. He was such a badass, but one shot took him out. I guess the episode was running a little long for time. Of course! That must be it! It's not that he's made of cheap parts! They rescue Tigatron and fly to safety. Megatron keeps firing on them pointlessly. And now for one of my favorite little lines from Scorpy.

Scorponok: "They're out of range, Megatron."

Aww, I think that's the only time in the entire series that Scorpy has actually tried to reign in Megatron's bad temper. Lesson to Scorponok: don't bother, but thanks for the effort! Megatron's in a really bad mood now and wants to have a word with the spiders. Does not bode well...

Back at the Axalon- IT'S SNOWING!!!! Take a good look, people, because this is the only time the Axalon is ever covered in snow!! Looks very pretty too, also a nice contrast to all the burning and stuff that Inferno's been doing for the rest of the episode. Nice way to visually cool things down. Tigatron steps out of the CR chamber in mint condition and starts heading for the door again.

AirRazor: "...it wouldn't hurt to visit us now and then, would it?"
    Tigatron: "No, I don't suppose it would. Farewell, my firends."

And he's out the door. YOU DUMB CAT!! That was your cue to stick around for a while and hang out with your Maximal friends! You know, "friends"?? The people that keep saving your butt every day and always invite you over for coffee, but you never have time for them?! You *$%*##$% stupid cat! And the really sad part? AirRazor looks on with real hurt in her optics, but *FORCES* a smile at the last second. You monster! You've hurt AirRazor's feelings! GAWD $##$ CAT!! Bah, whatever. He's already out the door. Bet he didn't even look behind him on his way out. Bah!

Back in Tarantulus' lair, Blackarachnia is worried. She just knows that Megatron is going to scrap them both for their treachery. Tarantulus reveals a vital piece of information to her; the planet is doomed, so it really doesn't matter what Megatron does. The stasis pod was meant to be rebuilt into an escape ship. She wants back in on his plans but he just laughs and sends her away. Ohh. It's just not a good day for couples to hook up.

That's all for this, one of my favorite episodes of Beast Wars. Inferno is just hella' cool. The whole alliance between Blackarachnia and Tarantulus seems like a given, but this is the first time they've really hooked up. It makes sense if you're looking at her progression throughout the show so far. There just hasn't been any real opportunity for them to do anything as a team until now. I actually like that Tigatron's lone-wolf attitude is now being played up as a character flaw. He spends so much time alone, that he's begun excluding his own friends from his life (AirRazor especially). AirRazor... not so annoying this time out as she was in the Trigger. Still not on my top 10 list by any stretch, but at least we got a better glimpse of what she's like. She really needs to stop emulating Cheetor though. That's no good. :p 

Next up: Dark Voyage

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/SG1.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/SG2.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/SG4.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/SG5.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/SG6.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/SG7.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/SG9.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/SG10.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/SG11.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/SG12.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/SG13.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/SG14.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/SG15.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/SG16.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/SG17.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/SG19.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/SG20.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/SG24.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/SG25.jpg

13. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    I like this episode:thumb , Inferno:rock , and Tigertron.:confused2 

14. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    Now aren't you glad I did this one first? That was the other reason I forgot to mention. If I did Dark Voyage first, it would have deprived me of some much needed Inferno. :D 

15. darksage78

darksage78 Maximal

Easily one of my favourite episodes of season 1 of course there were a few like the Low Road which were absolutely great but this would have to be my favourite introduction to a new character via the stasis pod ploy. Also for once I didn't feel so bad that the Maximals lost the pod. One thing I'll always remember pondering as a kid when I watched the episode, Inferno's pod was the only one that landed without a hitch, yet the protoform formats into a wacko, a good one at that, but I digress.

16. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    Dark Voyage
    written by Samuel Warren Joseph

Ugh... I'm sure there are fans of this episode out there, and for their sake I give this warning; I'm not one of them. If I had to choose an episode to skip or cut out altogether, this would be the one. Well, why prolong the suffering? Let's do this one up quick (and I mean quick).

Rattrap, Cheetor, Dinobot and Rhinox are out mining for raw energon crystals. I notice they're just walking around a huge area laden with the stuff. Getting that close to so much energon in the old PSX Beast Wars game would've killed you. Just another reason to hate that game. Hey, here's my favorite line of the show!

Dinobot: *some snarky remark*
    Rattrap: "Eh, you're so funny."

It's all going good, and then Waspinator and Scorponok show up. Scorpy fires a tuning-fork missle into the energon crystals. Rhinox transforms to robot mode and yanks the tuning fork out, but it's already too late. The crystals are still resonating and vibrating. For some odd reason, all the other Maximals transform to robot mode too. Now if it were me, I'd be running like mad and staying in beast mode, since those fur-coats are the only thing protecting them from the energon. Pretty big explosion with the Maximals right at the center of it. No chance the Maximals survived... probably, so the Preds take off.

Some time later... the Maximals all revive and we get to listen to each of them take turns freaking out as they all realize that they've been blinded by the massive energon radiation released from the explosion. I take that back; Rhinox is the only one that doesn't freak out. He tries to calm the rest of them down and... oh, Dinobot's really crying now. Oh, don't be sad, little raptor buddy, it'll be okay.
    They've taken so much energon damage, that they'll all die if they don't get to a CR chamber soon. Rhinox leads the way back to the Axalon, sniffing his way and using his other animal senses, while the other Maximals form a single-file line behind him by grabbing on to each other's tails.

Going through a lush jungle. I really like this setting. Rhinox detects something and stops to get a fix on whatever it is that's stalking them. Dinobot just completely freaks out and runs himself right into a tree. He's out of the fight. OMG, giant snake! It drops on Cheetor and coils around him, crushing him and causing his eyes to shoot sparks. Now, it's common knowledge that snakes hate Transformers. Doesn't matter whose side you're on. If you transform, you just made the list.

[​IMG]
    Snakes on a Plane!

Rhinox takes care of the giant snake by flinging it clear over the horizon. Don't think it'll be bothering anyone ever again. Cheetor's horribly screwed up though. He feels "cold" and he's "tired... so tired." CHEETOR! Don't go to the light! Rhinox carries Cheetor on his back, and they continue on their way back to the base.

They come to a waterfall, which happens to be one of the rivers that feeds into the big waterfall that runs under the Axalon. They're getting close! They all begin crossing a fallen log over the raging waterfall, when Waspinator shows up again. He's been sent back to finish the job (I notice Scorponok is no longer with him- where'd he get off to?). Like any good Predacon, he delights in the Maximal's newfound blindness and blasts the log they're all crossing on, sending them all tumbling over the waterfall. I really like how the log bounces among the rocks in the river below before heading downstream again. I don't know why, just kind of adds a sense of realism to the whole thing, I guess.

Terrorsaur meets Waspy wanting to know the status of the Maximals. Waspinator assures him that this time the Maximals are really done for. That's not good enough for Terrorsaur; he wants to see some proof like some bodies or something. You know, if Waspinator and Scorponok had just had Terrorsaur along in the first place, they wouldn't be in this whole mess right now.

*imagines...*

Scorpy: "Wow! What an explosion. Well, guess we should head back to base."
    Waspy: "Yeah, Waspinator thinks Maximals must be destroyed for sure!"
    Terrorsaur: "Hold on, guys. We should double check before we just run off."

Problem solved. But anyway, the two Predacon fliers cruise over the river some distance and what do you know- there's the Maximals all washed up on the bank of the river. See, Waspy? Terrorsaur just saved you some embarrassment. They head back to REALLY finish the job for good this time.

On the river bank the Maximals are all freaking out again, knowing that the Preds won't be leaving so prematurely this time. And once again, Rhinox calms them all down and goes into Zen-Rhino mode. Using his awesome Zen powers, Rhinox instructs the others to picture a targetting grid in their heads. His rhino ears listen intently for the sound of flying Predacons and he directs the Maximals as needed. They all blast wildly in the general area that Rhinox orders and manage to take out Terrorsaur.
    Waspy flies high and comes in for a dive-bomb attack from directly overhead, but Rhinox detects this too and has Rattrap fire straight up, taking out the Pred. Waspy explodes into fire and hits the water, skipping across it like someone threw a stone. Heh, cute.

About that time Cheetor (he's back on his feet again!), Rattrap and Dinobot all take turns twitching and dropping dead like dominos. Being in robot mode accelerated the spread of the energon poisoning. Thankfully Optimus Primal arrives at just that moment and calls in some backup to haul them all back to the base.
    Later... Rhinox steps out of the CR chamber with newly repaired optics. He opens his eyes to see all the others there too, fully repaired. Aww, it's a happy ending, and now they're just that much wiser as to what they can do in beast mode. The end.

Ho hum... it's... it's not really that bad of an episode. It just always felt pretty boring to me. There were a couple of interesting moments, like when Tarantulus (in the Pred base) detected walking energon, and Megatron deduced it was the poisoned Maximals. There are a few minor scenes dedicated to showing Primal and Tigatron (and AirRazor off-screen) searching for the lost Maximals, but nothing really noteworthy happens during these scenes. It felt like a by-the-numbers episode. Not bad but not great. Maybe there's some fans of "Dark Voyage" here that can shed a more positive light on this episode. As for me, I'm ready to wrap this one up.

Next up: Possession

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Is anyone else getting a Little Mermaid vibe from this?

[​IMG]

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/DV2.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/DV3.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/DV4.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/DV5.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/DV6.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/DV9.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/DV10.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/DV11.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/DV12.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/DV14.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/DV17.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/DV18.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/DV19.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/DV20.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/DV22.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/MakoCrab/DV23.jpg

17. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Like how "Double Dinobot" was your typical evil clone episode, "Dark Voyage" was the typical blind hero episode. The only plus point for this episode was getting Dinobot back in the battlefield which hasn't done anything since "Double Dinobot"

18. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

Mako, any new episode reviews coming up?

19. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Epic thread! :) 

20. Spearhead

Spearhead NEVER!

Epic but not very active at the time, sadly :( 

I'm wondering if this will ever be finished...