Review & Gallery of Alt Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Type-R, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Okay, that answers some questions. Yay knees! He actually looks to have better leg articulation than the Vipers and the RSX. Love the rotatable leg detail; very nice touch there.

It's not my favorite Alt, but he is really starting to grow on me. Besides, it's hard to judge a Transformer until I'm actually holding it in my hands. I expected Alt Prowl to be pretty crappy, but I ended up loving the little guy. Optimus might be another one that I'll really have to fiddle with in order to fully appreciate.

2. wannabeGeorge

wannabeGeorge Art Mercenary

Is it possible to swivel the red waist piece around, making it an ass flap? Also, is there ANY way to conceal those horrendous shoulder things? The rest of the figure is ... forgivable at least, but those shoulders are rediculous. Can you swivel thouse blue shoulder bits and reposition the doors so that they're behind his Autobot symbols??

3. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    Definitely not the best Alternator available...

4. Fortress_Wise

Fortress_Wise Head of Dalyst

Ok... Now he reminds of Armada Prime.

5. shifty02

shifty02 Greetings Programs

The best gallery we've seen of the fig so far....okay, the ONLY gallery we've seen so far.
    I'm really liking the mold, so I'll be picking it up.

-Shifty

6. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Probably the worst alt yet.

Very uninspired transformation. I'll be getting him only because I he's a Ram pic-up, and I have now decided that I want to have a complete set of Alts.

They could have done so much better than this though.

7. snkeyes069

snkeyes069 Legend in his own mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a Trailbreaker remold of this guy. The kibble works for Trailbreaker, as do the shoulders and odd proportions.

As Prime, this mold is ok. I'm hopeing there's a way to link the front wheels so they turn together like to other alts. Maybe the parts were missing with the gun? In any case, he's a good Alt, but not great. I think the newer designs (Prowl, Skids, Prime) are starting to deviate a bit from the original design "asthetic." Don't get me wrong, I think the molds are amazing; I'm just happier with the first 7.

I'm a little bothered by the photography. It makes the plastic seem too thin and cheap...almost waxy. I find the alts plastic looks better in person than in photo gallaries (Smokescreen often looks baby blue in photos), and this would seem to be the case with Prime. One thing's for certain...Binaltech Convoy's paint should be amazing (assuming Takara does release him)!

8. jimsloth

jimsloth Well-Known Member

Any hope I had for this mold is now gone. I was hoping the legs were just not telescoped like on the box pictures for RID Scourge. Damn. It'll take a good bit of bashing to get the knees to the right spot and I think I'll be cutting off the knee cover piece.

That is if I buy this one at all. I hope other people bashing convince me otherwise like they did with Red Alert, oops, I mean "Prowl." Def. the worst Alternator to date. And def. designed by the same guy that did Prowl. The skinny arms and lack of thighs are a dead give away. Maybe Masterpiece Prime will just maintain his leadership office for another term.

9. Overlord II

Overlord II Starscreamicon Leader TFW2005 Supporter

"Why is Alt Prime's head so small?"...

It makes it all the easier to kitbash him.... :ev:  :ev: 

10. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Meh I still like it, I just hope those aren’t the final colors as that’s what puts me off more then anything. Like the pickup mode quite a bit, the robot mode is a little to “blockish” for my tastes but still good enough for me to pick one up for sure. Reminds me so much of God Ginrei more then Optimus which is another bonus, just wish he also came with 2 guns and have made his weapon a bit bigger.

I'm also hoping Reprolables will have a set of stickers for this guy as well as I see this toy being a very good candidate for it.

Also hoping for a Trailbreaker repiant as well same with a possible Takara Dark Convoy :thumb 

11. neospark1

neospark1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow ....

Note to all .... you are a PICKY bunch of fans. :lol 

12. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

He is WAY TO SMALL to be Optimus Prime!!!! He stands as tall as all the other Autobots??????

13. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:

my sentiments exactly. :(  I like the toy, both modes (alt mode more) but why is a toy that is that much larger reduced to the same damned size as the other alts when he is the leader damnit!?

Andy

14. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    I've never noticed that Superman is twice the size as the rest of the JLA, despite him being their leader...

15. JunkionExchange

JunkionExchange Banned

wow its still Ugly

16. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I wasint being picky, I just said it would be nice is all, being picky would be "I damand this toy have this, this, and this". Frankly I think its fine the way it is but there are things that in my opinion would make it look better.

:lol 

The size for me isnt really an issue, if I want a big Prime to lead my Alts into battle thats what 20th Anny Prime is for :D 

17. blaine71274

blaine71274 Recovering Completist

Looks like maybe his legs need to be pulled out like on Skids.

18. Bainreese

Bainreese Well-Known Member

Outside of perhaps the feet being mistransformed...as there seems to be a plate that could swivel but doesn't on mine...he is not mistransformed

Heh.

Here are some picks to show all of you what is going on.

First off the pelvis/grill plate. It does not swivel. It does not go any other way. All the pictures you have seen of it the other way are not completely transformed and here is why...

[​IMG]

The back of the hood has two clips that attach to the grey frame. They will not attach if the grill is not moved. The grill hits the lower section of the grey frame and will not allow the clips to click in. If you move the grill slightly, as I've shown in other pictures, it doesn't look right either and so the only natural positino for the grill is to lay down over the pelvis showing the screws like so.

[​IMG]

For those who think the grill may swivel. No...it doesn't. Here...

[​IMG]

The brace is connected to the black portion that is seen through the air dam. It is bolted and there is no swivel on the blue bracket that connects the grill to the hood.

See? Do not doubt my Transformation Foo!

Ok...now for the legs. They are all the way extended. They don't extend anymore. Here is why...

[​IMG]

You see the arrow? It is pointing to where the black lower portion of the leg which is inside the bed hits against a red plastic brace. The legs are fully extended. They don't go out anymore.

Sorry to break it to you.

The one part I WAS a bit off on is that the wheels do have a bar connecting them, but it doesn't move the wheels parallel with each other or act as a tie rod. They still move independantly like I noted. The bar is a guide for when you slide the wheels into the chest.

19. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

I remember asking a friend how to transform G1 Sideswipe when I was a kid, and he just stood the bastard on his bumper and said "Done!"

Now we have the same thing with an Alternator. Hell, they even have the same chest.

I'm a sucker for Alts., so I'll probably end up buying this guy. But I really shouldn't.

-XCN-

20. wannabeGeorge

wannabeGeorge Art Mercenary

What about the arms? Any hope for them?