Review/comparison: Cybertron Crumplezone

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Chaos Incarnate, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    This review has been somewhat late in coming, as I promised it more than a week ago.

Cybertron recently hit the shelves here, at a local Fred Meyer, and they got one box of goodies. Two VPs and two Crumplezones. One VP went to Armada_MK, one vanished, and I got a Crumplezone. The other one became the first official Cybertron shelfwarmer and sat there for more than a week. (though I hear it got bought now.) What can I say, it's Crumplezone!

Vehicle Mode:

In his vehicle mode, Crumplezone is a three wheeled......thing. His tires are clear blue, which gives him better gas milage. The overall color is dark green, with some applipations of light green paint. He has two engine pods that normally face backwards, though they swing forward when the Force Chip is inserted, and are able to shoot missles, a valuable neccesity in a race. The cockpit has a clear blue canopy, but does not open. Luckily the pilot inside has long since suffocated to death, and is no longer banging on the window begging for a bathroom break.

Transformation is simple and easy, as this toy was designed for young children. The legs swing back, the arms fold out, the chest folds down, and you are done. Somewhere in there the front wheel vanishes, and keeps my nephew perplexed for hours.

Robot Mode:

In his robot mode, Crumplezone looks like a big green munky trukk. Probably because he is. His legs are Deluxe sized, wheras his arms are Ultra sized. His brain however is Minicon sized, so I conclude that he was constructed from a junk pile. In this mode, when you insert the Force Chip, the engines of destruction will swing out over his shoulders. Be sure you have a firm grasp of the figure, as this momentum would otherwise knock him down. His feet are big, and his arms are light, making him actually fairly posable in this mode. Oh, I failed to mention that when you insert the Force Chip, he also makes a sound that is vaguely violent in nature, but I have long since removed the batteries and put them in my laser pointer.

Comparisons:
    That's Remy's site in the background, I'd recomend checking that for a better look.
    Vehicle Front
    Vehicle Back
    Force Chip Gimmick
    Robot Front
    Robot Back

All in all, if you like the Galaxy Force/Cybertron line, go ahead and get him, but I'd do it domestically. In other words, he's worth $20. 7 out of 10

As for me, I'm going to see if I can mod the engine of my car to fire missiles.

2. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    so are the colors of the clear blue plastic really that different from the pics on remy's site, or is it just the lighting? I really liked this figure, and most of the other ones from speedia, because of the cool clear wheels.

3. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    Wow, great idea with those comparison pictures! Hasbro is REALLY skimping on the minor paint apps in this line; first Vector Prime, now Crumplezone. It's disappointing, but it's not as bad as Vector Prime, it seems.

4. Chaos Incarnate

News Credits:
    Nah, the wheels are about the same. They just look brighter on the LCD screen. On the subject of getting jacked on the apps, it's really not that bad. I mean, VP is noticably bare without his apps, but Crumplezone looks okay, and really unoticeable unless you actually compare the two.

5. mag_jr.

mag_jr. <B><font color=red>TFW2005 Article Guy</font></B> Veteran

Thanks for the review, ChaosIncarnate. I was curious about this guy.

After seeing comparison pics, I don't think the changes did any real damage to him. You almost have to look at the pics side by side to see any difference, other than the added faction symbol. He's a decent toy, maybe not the best one in the line, but I kind of like him.

6. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    The only paint ap I miss is the one below the vehicle's cockpit that made the area look more dynamic. Other than that I'm still glad I've got him preordered. At least he's not the abomination that Cybertron Vector Prime is.

7. Chaos Incarnate

News Credits:
    Hey Mag, you got a new Avatar! Nice

8. @l3x

@l3x Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What about that silver paint ap on the back of his fist? Did it come like that?

9. Chaos Incarnate

News Credits:
    That would be glare from the flash

10. mag_jr.

Thanks. I got tired of BW Megs, and Magnus is appropriate, since I collect Magnus toys (for whatever reason).

The avatar kind of looks like MP Magnus, actually.

11. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Ok, I picked him up this weekend. Some short thoughts here. The mold itself is very nice. Lots of sculpted in detail. The plastic is very, very poor feeling, though only in the gray plastic. The green and black plastics are quite good. Paint quality is nice. Vehicle mode is very cool. Transformation is simple, but well done. Robot mode is a love it or hate it thing. I can see why alot of people aren't digging the short legs. But he has excellent articulation in both the arms and legs. Good figure, but will fade from memory with the release of some of the best molds like Optimus and so forth.

12. Chaos Incarnate

News Credits:
    That was a nice summary, Prof. Coldheart. And, BTW, I was at the local Freddies again the other day, and that Crumplezone was still there. The first official Cybertron shelfwarmer!!! :thumb 

13. PopCulturePooka

PopCulturePooka Longest running avatar

News Credits:
    I am REALLY excited about Crumplezone. Can't wait to have him.
    I can tell, failing some hideous feature, that he will be one of my faves.
    I jsut wish he was coloured like the back of the box. Eg the dark green was black. that looks sweet!

14. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

The only complaint I have is that his force chip gimmick has a hair trigger. Ah well, it balances out the fact that my Cyb Hotshot doesn't have a hair trigger problem.

15. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just got him today, and really like him. The force chip noise is fun, and doesn't go off at random times (I'm looking at you, Skorponok). The vehicle sounds cool rolling on my table. I like how quick the guns flip forward in both modes. As a robot, he's fine. The gorilla arms reinforce the 'low intelligence' factor, and work for him. About the only thing I don't like are the fins hanging off his forearms. If they had another join in them, the could be made to attach to his inner arms. Still a fun toy- better than anything from Energon at the $20 price point.

-Tony!

16. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    I like the disproportionality. As a robot from another world, Crumplezone, or any Transformer, doesn't have to conform to any human proportions. His upper body bulk really gives him the look of an enforcer, and I can't wait to pick up Ransack.

17. PopCulturePooka

PopCulturePooka Longest running avatar

News Credits:
    I got him and he rocks my socks!

Excellent fun toy. Yeap, FUN!
    Woot.
    I would kill for an Apeface recolour of him!

18. mag_jr.

I love this toy, too. I like the bulk, and the vehicle mode is cool. Plus he's fun to play with, and roll on the floor :lol 

Just one warning, I had to exchange my first one today because the spring broke (I think it was tensioned too high). I haven't seen anyone else mention this, and my new Crumplezone is just fine (the launchers don't spring forward as hard), so I don't think it's a common problem. Make sure to save your receipt, just in case. I'm glad I did.

19. @l3x

@l3x Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't know quite what to think of this guy. Maybe some day.

20. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I just got him today, so I could have a dumby for my comics :thumb  anyways, I really dig the toy, my only complaint about it is the forearms feel REALLY cheap :(  the rest feels solid, and you can move his really "odd-for-a-TF" mouth!

Andy