Revenge of the Fallen Soundwave and Ravage Image

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Super_Megatron, Oct 26, 2008.

1. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Eh I don't like it.

It completely lacks the certain character-specific traits we usually find in the movie designs so far.

Soundwave's head DOES have the look of the Decepticon symbol. That's good.
    But, he doesn't have a visor for eyes (red(cartoon) or yellow(toy)) nor does he sport his always present faceplate(silver(toy and original cartoon) or gold(animated!). This one has an upper and lower jaw which look to be gold, and he might have a black nose, but I can't be certain from the picture.
    Adding in those will create more diversity among the Transformers, and give better reason and understanding to unique character-specific traits such as Prime's faceplate and Jazz's visor.

Also, Soundwave is known for being the big bad BLUE Decepticon. Not black, leave that black truck mode for Ironhide as his and his alone.
    The blue we see in the conceptual art is nothing more than the glow his blue colored lights give off that reflect onto his black body. However, the minute use of gold and silver details is very much Soundwave.

His overall body and body structure is nothing that would strike me as Soundwave. Had i not known who this was, I would have guessed an upgraded Barricade, hence the face details, minute uses of silver and gold, the black vehicle mode, and the slouching stance. Soundwave should stand straight, tall, and with his chest out like how Optimus Prime stands. Yet, he should be more "brick-ish", statuesque, and robotic in this movements and mannerisms, as he is more like a drone or a mindless slave to Megatron's every whim. The perfect man to get the job done.

The blue circles don't strike me as Soundwave either. However, they do remind me of a villain from Batman Beyond that sported glowing blue circles on his white and black suit, which enabled him to use highly concentrated soundwaves to destroy stuff. The soundwaves shot from blue circles on his hands.

I'd rather have the Truck's from grill be on his upper chest than the blue circles. The front grill seems much more akin to Soundwave's original tape deck front. The blue chest circles should be moved to his waist area to work as a belt. When you look a the design, your eyes go straight for the chest area, what better way to advertise for GM than to have their emblem there instead of 3 blue circles?

Ravage is pure insanity. He's awesome but...
    My only 2 gripes are:
    1. That I wish he had 2 eyes to closer resemble a feline. Skorponok was close enough to a scorpion, so why not Ravage? Ravage should have 2 eyes, Soundwave 1 (Visor).
    2. Why so silverous? Do all the smaller Transformers have to be drenched in silver? NO. Skopronok was silver, but he was also bronze. Frenzy was silver, but he also had lime gold details. Ravage needs more black in his body with only silver on his forearms/legs and mounted guns. Gunmetal details running throughout would also work great to break up the black and possibly give him a "patterned" look on his body, resembling what large cats have like tigers and jaguars.

2. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    I don't really see anything there that even remotely makes me think of Soundwave...but then it is a movie design. M E H.

3. samtastic

samtastic Herald of Wheelie

I wouldn't say it's an obvious fake. Yes Soundwave himself, could be a hodgepodge, though his mid to lower body is unique and consistent with the design aesthetic from the movie.

But I gotta tell you guys, that Ravage design looks VERY FRIGGING CONSISTENT with the look of Megs and Frenzy from movie one, and it's badass and creepy and VERY well designed (even though I'm not a fan of the creepy aesthetic). This may have been an early concept, done even before the REVENGE OF THE FALLEN name. Maybe they scrapped the truck concept - but that Ravage is pretty darn convincing, dudes and dudettes.

4. Lockdown

Lockdown Bootey Hunter

News Credits:
    Well Soundwave's robot mode looks like a humanoid shaped car wreck so it could be legit.

5. Xhairs

Xhairs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    WTF is that this is why i hate the movie as they look like cracked out bugs.

6. Caine

Caine Rise up to the glory!!

News Credits:
    Ravage looks like it just got stranded on Xenomorph-infested planet, and then scan one, before finally rendezvous with Soundwave and heading to Earth..

7. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    I don't doubt that this is legitimate concept art, but I don't believe for a second that this will be the final design.

8. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    It also looks like they tried to homage the Decepticon symbol with Soundwave's face. A reverse tribute to the fact that the Decepticon symbol was based loosely on G1 Soundwave's face! Very Fan-licious. Subtle but cool. And being subtle is NOT what Mr.Bay is about, so take that for what it's worth!

*EDIT* Also the blue disks, while cool, are not really in keeping with the movie aesthetic!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  9. Optimus62

Optimus62 War For Cybertron!!!!!

:inquisiti  Not to bad, if legit. Soundwave looks too much like Barricade. Ravage looks cool but would prefer if he had eyes instead of the cyclops look. Soundwave should have something that resembles him like the visor.

10. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    Love Ravage. Not sure about Soundwave yet...I like how the disks on his chest try to upgrade the old G1 chest. But the face AT LEAST needs the faceplate. Keep the visor, but I want a faceplate.

Once I get the toy I'll be putting a reprolabels Decepticon logo on the middle chest disc.

11. karamazov80

karamazov80 Million Dollar Champion

It's hard to find the words to. . .wait. . . :puke: 

12. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Ravage looks great (loving the guns mounted on his hips ala his G1 missiles). Soundwave is ok, not really that fond of the truck mode. I'm curious about those blue orbs though. Would have liked him to keep his visor too.

13. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    Give Soundwave a more-G1-esque head and it'll be pure win.

Somebody handy with photoshop?

14. Vince

Vince Decepticon

News Credits:
    I don't like it...:(  Don't get me wrong i love the other movie designs, its just that THIS doesnt scream 'Soundwave' to me.....I am really opposed to the idea of him being a pickup truck to begin with; that means he's going to be tiny in comparison to Megatron and Starscream...... I was expecting Soundwave to be huge.

I also dont like the big CHEVY logo Slapped right on his lower torso...

I wish they would have made Soundwave into a Stealth bomber or even that SR71 Blackbird....but alas...

As for Ravage. Not crazy about him either but it's better than I was expecting. I originally thought he was going to be that horrendous spindly piece of wreckage that was crawling on the hood of a car in that picture we saw a while ago, so my hopes have been slightly boosted now that I see he vaguely resembles a cat.

Personally i'd have prefered if they took the 'Scorponok' route and kept him a little closer to the actual anatomical structure of the animal he's trying to mimic.

15. Moroni Prime

Moroni Prime #TFYLP Podcast

News Credits:
    with regards to the head design, look closely and you'll notice that it's basically the decepticon symbol. If you look back to 1984, you'll know that the decepticon symbol as we know and love it today was originally designed after the toy head of soundwave, just as the autobot symbol was designed after the prowl/bluestreak/smokescreen head. I rather like this new design. Not sure on the ravage, I'll have to wait and see, but I love how ravage kept his launchers.

Speaking of head designs, for an example of how this was used in the first film, go look at both Ironhide AND Ratchets heads, and then compare the overall designs and shapes to the original face sticker on the G1 Ironhide and Ratchet toys. Same thing in that case too. Look closely, you'll see it. I have to say though, in the event that they may possibly put prowl/bluestreak/smokescreen into the TF2 or even TF3 (not to say that they would, but I can dream can't I?), I would love to see them model the face after the autobot symbol (G1 head), just like they've done with Soundwave here.

Thus ends my wall of text.

16. deceptifocus

deceptifocus *Supercharged*

Ebay:
    sounds kina like ravage is the truck, what else could he be in a 2 hr chevy commercial?

17. Waveride

Waveride Creative Team

News Credits:
    What's with all the Decepticons that are vehicles having Barricade's face?

18. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    That Soundwave shares several prominent design cues with the non-movie Dropkick/Salvage toy from the first movie.

19. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    Huh, not bad on Soundwave. Actually looks like a TF to me. Ravage...eh, looks like a cross between an ankylosaurus and armadillo. A little bit overdone.

--Moony

20. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

F@#$ it i give up trying to see the point of view of this movie and the other one.

I agree itss sooo much more bad ass . But exactly how much bad ass is enough before it becomes just Bad and then ass. Not every thing good or great in life has to be total bad ass and when you do that its just seems fake.

Really only got myself to blame here the first movie had shards of what I wanted to see and failed overall in any attempt to bring back or evoke anything of transformers feel. IT was just giant F@#$ing robots and never really felt like transformers, I cant even imagine what the movie would have been like if Peter Cullen didnt at least Voice Prime.

Here is the biggest problem I dont hate the designs but I mean come on stay a little faithful to the characters. Really all it is is an open casting call for all new line of transformers and the names are only placed on them so idiots like my self will try to believe this is some how any resemblence to the character. Hell they couldnt make him a blue truck maybe make those light things gold i dont give a shit if they are black lights you can always make the truck blue or is that a nother color in the spectrum they have trouble shooting. So if red and blue cant be shot that means we are getting more and more limited.

I know there will be tons of people saying you got to accept its the movie and this is how its got to be and to you i say I DONT have to accept this . If you cant accept this Soundwave art is basically barricade part two and they just slapped the label on it then god help you because in your world the everyday is bright and shiny.

last statement "WTF is wrong with these movie people"