Revenge of the Fallen Soundwave and Ravage Image

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Super_Megatron, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Bottom Out

Bottom Out Well-Known Member

but when everyone first saw him what did they say? they said prime doesnt have lips, prime doesnt have flames, etc etc. The initial reaction was a bad one, and thats my point. everyone is jumping to conclusions looking at soundwaves picture with out knowing what it will be like in the actual movie

this was only after the initial shock wore off, which is what will happen with soundwave as well

2. wheeljack359

wheeljack359 Master Technician

Ebay:
    Id rather se this!

I would rather see this Soundwave in the movie rather than the Bat wave we are looking at!

soundwave.jpg

3. Julliant

Julliant This space for rent.

You posted this did you not.

Anyone who feels this is a geewunner? I can think of many reasons they shouldn't change certain elements, although just for your info, I'm fine with black. If someone wants CGI replicas of G1 toys I believe you have a point, otherwise it'd be nice if you accept people's opinions.

I don't recall being a member of this forum during production of TF1, and again you're pooling everyone who has issues with the designs together as one group of people known as 'geewunners'. I can't be arsed what some people say, Prime is as G1 as he can get. Same transformation scheme, same figure and faceplate. Also, saying Soundwave can't have the same physique is quite an insult to folks at ILM, not to mention they DID cheat.

If it weren't for fans 'crying out' we'd have gotten vaginatron and I doubt anyone including you would be so pleased with that. Improvements can be made through criticism or 'crying out' as you put it.

4. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

Regardless of the initial reactions of people on these boards, it cannot be denied that the character as a whole remains largely inspired by his G1 counterpart, but altered to fit the movie asthetic. In this he was quite unique.

Few of the other robots were given anything more than desultory 'nods' to their comic or cartoon incarnations (Bumblebee's colour, Jazz's visor). As a result, even now, these characters are much more likely to draw the ire of those who found the movie style unsatisfactory.

This current Soundwave concept (which indeed may be old hat or fake) falls into this latter catagory, with very little to tie it to his previous form.

Whether or not you personally think this is good, bad or indifferent is irrelevant - it is automatically going to piss some people off in a way that Prime never did.

5. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:

he didnt call someone a Geewunner, he merely stated what they were.

good point

but is it logical to make a truck that turns into a robot look like it turns into a tapedeck? not really. though i will agree, i wish that there were more G1ish nods, like being blue, and maybe having a wondow for a chest. but its not G1, its the movieverse-what happens happens.

he didnt say crying out, he said crying about. and again-wanting the cues to be there and asking for them to be there is one thing.

also, as for the definition of a "geewunner" i think that the definition should be clarified. i personally believe that a "geewunner" is someone who says something is bad because it isnt G1. if its bad because it looks weird, or is awkward, or frightens small children, thats one thing. then feel free to critisize-but calling something a piece of crap specifically because it isnt like G1, IMHO, is what makes someone a "geewunner"

6. MGX

MGX Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    All I'm sayin' is the idea is that we got all of this hoopla over doing Soundwave correctly. So imagine after 4 years of drawing board, he's finally unveiled as a typical movie design with a name tacked onto it. 4 years of developmental hell for this?!!! 4 years of deciding to do what they've been doing already.

If they are going to use the released look, they might as well had him in TF1.

Prime has the head, is red and blue and has the windows on his chest.
    Bumblebee is at least yellow
    Starscream is grey and has the cockpit on his chest
    Megatron is at least grey

I don't think it's G1sh to ask that Soundwave (the most heavily hyped and debated character in TF2) not be resigned to be a generic movie TF. Just make him blue and fix his head. No one is asking for a cassette player here.

Sheesh. All that damn hype for a fizzle.

7. webz

webz Banned

Ebay:
    Well, considering Orci has repeatedly called leaked information false, when it clearly turned out accurate would make him... well... a LIAR. What character turned out different from the leaked concept art? None. I have no idea what you are talking about.

I'm quite familiar with how film making works. Probably more so than most here. With a movie like this, however, designs have to be finalized fairly early, since the merchandise has to be made, and Hasbro doesn't want to look like an idiot to the people making paper plates with Prime's image on it.

Well, enjoy living in your world of delusion.

8. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    by the way... has anyone noticed that the images haven't been taken down yet? sounds like a deliberate leak in that case

9. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    a few things-we dont know how old this design is. maybe it was leaked because someone decided to get rid of it cause it was gathering dust.

and when they say "do Soundwave right" maybe they arent talking about aesthetic or how G1 he looks. maybe they mean his personality. think about it like this-if they had used the name Soundwave instead of Blackout and used him exactly the way they did, people would be furious that the awesomeness that could be Soundwave was turned into a third rate character with minimal screen time.

and although i too wish he did look more G1ish, if he doesnt, then oh well. but yes, making him blue, changing his head, and maybe even the chest (windshield would be cool) all could happen, as this is concept art. it may be used, it may be scrapped-Orci even said Soundwave isnt a pickup. also, look at the arms-they dont match the TF:Movie aesthetic in any way shape or form, so things will definately be different. this isnt the final image and i promise this exact design wont be used in the movie (solely because of the hands)

10. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    but this art is obviously not what will appear in the movie-the arms make it painfully obvious that this isnt the final design.

11. DeathsHead

The arms are the best bit...they look cool.

12. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    they do look pretty cool-unfortunately, the hands dont really match the TF1 and TF2 aesthetic

13. Julliant

I disagree. I personally refrain from using the term 'geewunner' because it's insulting and degrading, and we're ALL in freakin TF forum. However, my definition of a 'geewunner' is someone who incesantly wants virtually everything to be just like G1, most of the time without any rationale and with little to no room for change.

The problem I have with your definition is that not everything about G1 is bad. If G1 is that bad then why bother making Prime so close to G1 (yet so updated and awesome)? In fact there are points of G1 which are fine and aethetically pleasing even to the non-fan.

In this case, Soundwave looks good. Show anyone a modern interpretation of Soundwave such as this one, and he or she will tell you that looks cool. I'm not complaining about this leaked concept art, just stating an example. They could and should work from the basic G1 silhouette of Soundwave with the features such as visor and mouthplate. They did this with Prime did they not, and Prime is the most well-recieved design, is it not? If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I understand the need for change, in cases such as Ironhide, he was just a clone of Ratchet and vice versa so he needed change, on top of his boxiness even by G1 standards. I understand the long nose truck, the flames, the mouth, etc etc.

So you see, G1 isn't bad, G1 isn't necessarily irrational. And by the way, I didn't grow up with G1.

Actually they look just like Jazz's.

14. DeathsHead

Aw fuck, I hope not. He had those ridiculous food blender things...

15. Julliant

[​IMG]

:lol  How fitting, since they were rivals before Blaster's introduction.

16. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    i never use the term either-and there arent really any people like that except for trolls.

not once did i ever say G1 was bad. im saying that "geewunners" would say something else is bad because it wasnt like G1.

i think they should develop Soundwave with his picture from G1 nearby. while i dont know if he should have a visor and mouthplate all the time, having something like Jazz's and Prime's would work and make sense.

i understand all that too, and the changes needed to be made, and i didnt grow up on G1 either-it ended before i was born. but its still awesome, yet still can be improved

not really. Jazz's hands look lorta like Animated Bulkhead's but thinner. Soundwave's have very little detail and seem dull and bland compared to other movie hands.

actually, looking more closely, they sorta remind me of Stockade's hands, which i have the same opinion of-not enough detail for the movieverse.

EDIT::
    Jazz's hand details SUPERIOR. Soundwave's-INFERIOR. but ya, one looks like claws, one looks like hands, i dont see the similarity you do. and i was using this one for comparison instead: [​IMG]

17. Julliant

Well one is concept art, hand drawn, the other is the actual CGI model. I see resemblance in the shape of the hands and forearms. (although Jazz's digits can spread out in 4 directions)

18. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I swear if when a better pic of Soundwave shows up and his head ends up being extra G1, I'm going to headbutt everybody in this board for the uproar.

19. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    iunno, Jazz's seems more rounded, while Soundwave's is sorta blocky

20. Beastbot X

Beastbot X It's a hobby. Remember to have some perspective.

News Credits:
    Ratchet. I'm not saying this ISN'T the final design, but it's certainly quite possible that it isn't. We don't know how old this concept art is.