Revenge of the Fallen Soundwave and Ravage Image

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Super_Megatron, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Liberator Prime

Liberator Prime All are one.

Anyone think this might be a pic of Soundwave satellite AND Barricade's new form? Seems to similair facially to be a coincidence...

2. Julliant

Julliant This space for rent.

Apparently a visor and a mouthplate is too much too ask for - in fact it already means you're a GEEWUNNER. If paying such a simple form of homage is not a big deal then Prime should have 1 eye in the center of his face with teeth jarring out of his mouth. Afterall, it is a seperate universe and if they can do anything they want, they SHOULD do anything they want. If they did though, I doubt some people here would be defending everything decision made, good or bad, and I don't think they'd be calling people 'embarassing fanboys' on a forum for Transformers.

3. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    The one thing I think people are forgetting is that, for all we know, this is just an early concept for him, and the final version of him could look almost nothing like this. Still looks cool to me, and definitely looks like Soundwave to me.

4. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    so I guess the shape of his head, the fact that he has tiny robot minion(s) and that he's loyal to Megatron mean nothing?

5. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    Bot mode aside, I can't help but wonder why they would use yet another boring black pickup truck for an alt mode. He's virtually undistinguishable from Ironhide.

6. Lion

Lion Aloha

Ebay:
    I think Ravage as an engine is a cool concept, and actually a huge nod to G1. I like the SW design, bring it on! The faceplate will probably be like primes, or jazz' visor and come in when needed...

7. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

Despite the rage, this is the most accurate post I've read in ages. For me it excactly encapsulates how unpleasant it has become to post anything other than positive feedback on the movie forums.

Strangly, this doesn't seem to happen anywhere else on this site. Go figure.

8. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    This is the key point; we know this is an outdated design, because Soundwave is apparently no longer a pickup - and certainly not one that looks almost exactly like Ironhide's alt mode.

In fact, having thought about it, I'm still not 100% convinced it isn't fan art, or at least a couple of disassociated leaked concepts cobbled together by a fan, just because that contact sheet is so bad. The border elements are naff; the font is dreadful; the logo looks budget and the 'con logo is clearly scaled up from a smaller version; there's so little thought or design to it, and on top of that, they can't spell "satellite". Honestly, you wouldn't present that to your lead, never mind the client. The contact sheets from the first movie were much more stylish, I can't believe this was ever being used in-house.

The style of the two robots seems to so different that presenting them together makes no real sense either; and even at an early stage of character design, you'd expect at least a turnaround or a slightly different iteration of the design on the same sheet.

That aside, one of my work colleagues took it as the pickup was meant to be Ravage's alt mode, and Soundwave is just the satellite - I must admit I was fixated on the Soundwave-as-satellite-AND-pickup thing, as we'd heard that before. I can see his thinking, and that would again suggest that this was VERY early concepting, if it is legit. So whatever it is, and regardless of liking or loathing the movie aesthetic, I think we can all reasonably assume the Soundwave & Ravage we see in the final movie will be different from this...

9. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I wonder if it's doing the design right or it it's more of the thing that about half way threw the movie they seemed to have changed their mind about the Decepticons. First part of the movie Blackout is unstoppable, by the end of the film he's just a lame jobber cannon fodder.

Maybe when they were thinking about making the Decepticons cool then they were thinking Blackout could be called Soundwave. By the time they changed their mind to go with throw away characters instead they decided to not call him Soundwave. I mean the fan rage was bad enough but can you imagine the bitching if the humans had one shotted Soundwave before he could do anything cool in the last battle?

10. MGX

MGX Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Who are we talking about--Blackout, Barricade or Soundwave? See what I mean?

They go to all of this trouble to explain his absence only to give us a generic design that could be anyone. All of that trouble and hoopla.

11. MGX

MGX Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you weren't told it was Soundwave, could you still pick him out from that design? I'd think Barricade chose another Alt mode, if it wasn't for the mass problem.

12. SiamGXPrime

SiamGXPrime Well-Known Member

Are we forgetting , the image does say CONCEPT. Meaning just that. lol

13. webz

webz Banned

Ebay:
    How can you "reasonably assume" anything will be different? This is about the time we started getting pics of Starscream, Prime, Boncrusher, and Ironhide for the 1st movie. Everyone with the production said those images no longer represent the final product, which was a lie. Orci saying Soundwave is not a truck is a LIE. He's trying to spread misinformation. Two years ago (on Don Murphy's board), he said Prime didn't look anything like the leaked images. The man is a habitual liar.

The issue for those who are anti-movie designs is the fact that the concept designs are damn near indistinguishable from the final product.

14. Bottom Out

Bottom Out Well-Known Member

doing him right doesnt mean making him look as g1 as possible, it means getting the character right. Frenzy as soundwave wouldnt be right, the size and the personality are completely different. Blackout as soundwave wouldnt be right since blackout didnt have anything to do with communications and was killed at the end. Doing soundwave right meant giving him a roll that would make sense.

the face does look like soundwave - he has 3 orbs on his chest replacing the rectangle on his chest, gold and silver accents....we dont know what his voice sounds like yet and we dont know if he has a battle visor/mouth piece yet....

only his head sculpt

stop grassping at straws, prime didnt have his iconic mouth peice either, or his iconic noseless truck mode, dont forget his lack of trailer and flame paint job...but people have come around in time to accept this new look for optimus just like they will for soundwave. Asking for hommages doesnt make you a geewunner, getting emotionally upset over the lack of them does though

before we had the names and alt modes for the bots in the first movie wouldy ou have been able to name ironhide, bumblebee, jazz, ratchet, starscream, megatron, or frenzy? you're assuming that these characters are supposed to look a certain way which is not true, there is no rule for how these characters are supposed to look, as a matter of fact the only transformer to ever keep a similarity in appearance through out different series is prime

15. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Guys, just think of this Soundwave as the Gamecube to the Playstation.

Same features, just a different take on 'em.

16. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    except both Barricade and Blackout were initially designed to be Soundwave, so if anything, he's just taking the look back.

17. Julliant

Julliant This space for rent.

It's just you labelling ANYONE with ANY criticism as a GEEWUNNER. It's your only defense apparently. You just proved it because I already said I'm happy with Prime and yet you used him as a defence by saying he's not "G1 enough".

We're all happy with Prime because he has his face plate. His robot mode looks like prime. All the visual cues are there. There were changes, some necessary some pointless. As for Soundwave, nothing. He's completely changed to look like a generic monster. Zero resemblance, and not that the changes were necessary in the first place. What's your point now? We only ask for a few visual cues. We got them for Prime and Jazz. And yet you're calling us GEEWUNNERS because what? We want visor and mouthplate?

So anyone with any criticism, constructive or not, should gtfo. And for the record I'm in this argument because I'm sick and tired of that ineffective yet overused term 'GEEWUNNER' for any response to criticism even if it is rational, and it is extremely disrespectful to those who bothered to post their opinion and back it up with reason. I bet even the production team of TF would be surprised at the blind supporters they have.

18. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    Woah, a touch aggressive. Well, assuming it's legit, and as I don't go around assuming everyone is a "habitual liar", there's enough contradictory info about Soundwave & Ravage to suggest this is an early piece of concept art. And personally, I thought the final designs for some characters were quite different from some of the earlier designs that we got to see. Prime was a case in point - the final designs were hugely different from the earlier ones that we saw.

That's how character design works; once you've got your style, it's working up elements at a time until it's the finished article. Some changes are sweeping, most are gradual, but they're always significant and they keep happening pretty much up til the last possible day. I know this, as it's my job. I don't see why this film would be much different from many others that need a lot of concept character work: therefore, when someone connected with this movie tells you "these are not final", they ain't lying; they're not final. Until they're into post-production proper, a lot of the designs won't be finally signed off - and even then the models will still be subject to revision if there's good enough reason.

Based on all that, I'm happy to reasonably assume that the final result will be something different from what I reckon is already an old concept (if it's real). If I'm wrong, well i'm wrong, and I can be vaguely disappointed.

19. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

This is a very poor example Bottom.

Of all the characters chosen to make an appearance in TF, Optimus Prime bears more resemblance to his 1980's design than any other. He did have his 'iconic' mouth piece - retractable or not, and much of the whole head design was distinctly referencing previous incarnations, not to mention the whole 'chest windows' thing and a colour scheme mainly consisting of the 'ol red and blue.

As a result he was subjected to far less abuse than many of the other designs (arguing over the flames doesn't count).

With arguments like this, I really don't think you're in any position to make dismissive, presumptive and rather offensive remarks about 'Geewunners'...

20. Bottom Out

Bottom Out Well-Known Member

*facepalm*

i dont think ive ever called any one a geewunner, and you obviously dont know enough of my posts to make a claim saying that i do. I have nothing wrong with people who critisize the movie - for legitimate complaints. A character not looking enough like his g1 self is not a legit complaint. As for prime, prime is a perfect example. no one seems to have a problem with him anymore, and hes not very g1 in appearance at all. Reason why is because people watched him on the big screen and changed thier mind. People are allready hating soundwave based on an early concept drawing lmao, in time everyone will love him too

no, you were all very upset with prime when he was first introduced becuase everyone thought he wasnt going to have face plate and his robot mode was not only the wrong style truck, it was the wrong color...you all are happy with prime now becuase you jumped to conclusions and formed an opinion on a still image of him...

head looks like soundwave, we dont know if he has a visor or mouth peice yet which he probably will just like prime - there you guys go jumping to conclusions again

obviously his body wont look similar to his g1 body, hes not a tapedeck...fans should understand this and should have been expecting a body that would look different, in anycase though his body isnt really what makes soundwave soundwave, its his voice, minions, and position. we dont know what his voice is yet, we know he has ravage, and we know he'll have to do with communication so whats the problem? jumping to conclusions again?

wanting the cues is one thing, crying about them not being there is something else

not true at all