Reveal the Shield Perceptor

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Farrk, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Brakescream

Brakescream F&@king Twist Ties!

News Credits:
    i like it. Any chance of seeing a couple shots of Percy using it?

Are you planning on doing a monocle to go with it? If so and you can offer reasonable shipping to the uk you'd have yourself a deal.

2. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There is a photo in the thread I linked to in my last post. I am not doing a monocle because it is too small to produce.

3. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Perhaps you could make the monocle molded as part of the rifle and then people can just cut it off, paint it and glue it to their figure. And if they don't want the monocle they can just trim it off and throw it away. Or leave it attached to the rifle.

4. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I had a scrap FP bruticus set so I just used one of the shotguns for Perceptor. It looks really nice.

5. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    You know I'm thinking of just getting a blaster and a sniper rifle for Perceptor, even though someone might have done that. So that if one weapons is gone he has a backup just in case.

6. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hm, interesting idea. The only problem with that is they'd both be the same material. I assume most people would want a white rifle and transparent monocle. On the other hand, if I designed it, I'd have it clip into Perceptor's eye socket, so you wouldn't have to glue anything.

7. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    just gonna give mine my Reissue Perceptor's rifle, I think that'll work. anyone have pics of this?

8. Brakescream

News Credits:
    considering the igear set for Kup got so much love it seems odd nobody has come up with an addon set for Perceptor. Judging by this thread alone theres clearly a demand for it. I might just have a go at making a monocle myself but I'd rather have one made by someone who knows what theyre doing!

9. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Yeah, that was the only downside I could think of when I wrote my post. That said, it's such a small piece and once it's over his eye would transparency really be that critical a need? It's not like you'd be able to see much through it anyway. Personally, I'd be perfectly happy with a non-transparent one and just dob a bit of paint on it.

10. Quixote_Prime

Quixote_Prime is missed.

News Credits:
    For the life of me I cannot get the doors flush with the body of the alt-mode. Advice? I'm following instructions and videos. I can get one door flush but that jars the other one entirely loose.

11. Brakescream

News Credits:
    theres a pic somewhere in this thread that shows how the alt mode looks from the underside. It shows how the robot parts should be folded up and this helps loads.

12. Quixote_Prime

Quixote_Prime is missed.

News Credits:
    Thanks for the reminder --- I snapped the backpack peg trying to muscle the arms in place.

Oops.

13. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    When I first saw photos of Perceptor, I was really disappointed. Perceptor has a very fond place with me in G1 because he's a scientist and his personality seemed like a great carry over from the original concept - robotic civilians forced into a war.

The more and more I saw newer photos and such is the more I got excited!

After having this guy in hand, he's even better than I expected after my excitement. The chrome really makes him look nice! It's not overdone like a KO, and it's just there. Both the alt mode and robot mode designs are really nice! I like the color choices, as they directly homage the original.

It's not without its flaws, though. The whole backpack transform is just too fiddly. It really brings out that major gripe I have with modern figures. The transform back to alt mode is the same. I really prefer to things to snap and solidly transform in and out and such (like the telescoping legs, which are great!). I really feel like he could benefit from some more color, like some accent colors or some subtle differences. I understand budgets, etc., but it's a bit too bland. I would also have liked some accessories for him as well. Wheeljack is getting some "tools", and I would have loved to have seen something similar.

He's totally worth tracking down, though. I'm really quite enamored with it!

14. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    100% agreed! I mostly bought him just to add to my CHUG/RTS line-up, but once I had him and fiddled with him, I liked him a whole lot! One of my favorite new molds.

15. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    Have to agree with the above two posters: I too wasn't too enthousiastic about Perceptor (neither the character nor the RtS mold). I bought him (along with Scourge and Wreck-gar) because I found him while on vacation in the US last week, and he was relatively cheap (speaking as a European who hasn't even seen a single Generations ór RtS TF back home). I finally got around to transform him today, and although he's (too) small, he does look pretty good in both modes, but especially 'Bot mode. I was worried about the backpack, and yes, it's unstable, but not as bad as I feared (although I mostly only put my TF's on display and don't play with them).
    Not too sure this mold would make a good Reflector, though...

16. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Might just be mine, but my backpack will not stay in place at the slightest moving of the shoulders. I've read the entire thread, and have them just like Razerwire has them, with the black against the red to lock them in place, but they just pop off from pressure when the arms are moved at all.

This is by far the weakest of the RTS/Generations stuff so far IMO.

*EDIT* JUST from posing the arms which makes the backpack pop out of place, the grinding of the black plastic on the red has worn the corners of the red off so it won't stay in place at all. So from a pure design perspective, the only thing SUPPOSED to keep the backpack in place was the single red tab? Yeah, horrible design choice.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  17. The DF

The DF Arbiter of the Beardbots

Ebay:
    Mine has the same problem. I can get it to stay in place after some doing, and I can even pose the arms, but only if I'm super careful. Any excessive jostling undoes whatever connection I managed to create, and I have to take several minutes to realign.

18. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Got mine today, no problems so far with the backpack as I spent a good 15-30 min last night going over this thread. Knock on wood he stays fine.

19. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran

News Credits:
    Found him today, and I absolutely agree. I would have really liked this figure, but the terribly designed backpack just kills it for me. From what I can tell, the two tabs are just simply not enough to keep everything together, and if that's not enough, my red tab's corners have worn off as well.

This is one of the first figures in a while that I've been genuinely disappointed in.

Edit: Just noticed, the black tab has worn down as well. I'll most likely be returning, or at least exchanging this guy. Hopefully they aren't all like this.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  20. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    I've been playing with Perceptor for just over a day, and I've found that inserting the small tab on the black diagonal part (leading up to the teal 'windscreen holder') into the slot on the light gray part on which Perceptor's head slides up and down, and then inserting the red tab into the slot on that same black part, makes a backpack connection which holds strong and stable. Actually, it's strong enough to be able to shake Perceptor without his backpack dislodging!
    Is everyone perhaps missing the tab and slot into Perceptor's head sliding piece? Because that connection did take a bit of force, but does seem to be designed exactly for that purpose, and is an essential step!