'Return Of The Jedi' - where do we go from here?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Hand Of Omega, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Hand Of Omega

Hand Of Omega Well-Known Member

I just watched the entire original trilogy (the un-restored theatrical versions with the limited DVD set) and once again pondered, "what happened next?"

Now, I'm not talking about making more movies, I'm just asking, all comics and novel arcs aside, 'are you interested to see where the movie Universe went after ROTJ'? Did Luke give in to his dark side and build another Empire? Did a new threat rise? Was the Jedi order ressurrected? Was the Universe in turmoil after the fall of the Empire - civil wars, revolutions, etc that were previously suppressed by the Empire?

I think its interesting and it has to be said that the prequel material didn't ever interest me, even years before they were announced. I was always concerned with 'what now'?
    Thoughts? :) 

2. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Read the books, they cover the subject in great detail with varying degrees of quality.

3. $shockwave$

$shockwave$ Banned

News Credits:
    I am with you 100%, I finished watching it the whold nonstop way last week, said and questioned what happened next, personally I would'nt mind something different then the whole good guy to dark villain.

4. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    I would love to see the Thrawn trilogy made, great villain and it does take place shortly after ROTJ even if it was animated (hm, considering that how much time has past, animated is probably the best option)

5. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I'd love an actual sequel. Make it about the kids of Luke and Leia, feature the original stars in supporting roles, and bring back the Sith. Just keep Lucas away from the writing.

And go read Dark Empire I and II. It pretty much covers everything you want to know.

6. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Dude to the fleet: Attention! Attention! The Emperor is dead!

Fleet: What about Vader and the Death Star?

dude:both gone.

Fleet: We're fucked! We give up.

7. Peter Cullen91

Peter Cullen91 Well-Known Member

:lol 

8. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Funny thing that I coincidentally got Revenge of the Sith and the Original Trilogy (restored) today.

9. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've read every SW novel, and many of them are so good (and so ingrained into my head) that I tend to think of them first when someone mentions Star Wars.

10. Hand Of Omega

Well, I always thought that the Empire would have suppressed a lot of conflict during their reign, many worlds probably owed them a lot - infrastructure, trade, security etc.
    I would love to see the Jedi order be reinstated and in its fledgling years have to deal with stabilising the galaxy again that has erupted in civil wars, backstabbing and a proliferation in crime.
    Perhaps a secret Vader disciple is involved with a crime family and aches to establish a new Empire? We could have the Jedi bring order again, but with the knowledge that a new Sith order is secretly growing somewhere in space.

Animated would be great. Just not the style of Clone Wars, that was horrible. Maybe anime (in the style of 'Yukikaze') or a decent CGI look, like an updated take on 'Final Fantasy' or the upcoming 'Avatar'?

The whole kid angle is a bit cliche IMO and retreading old characters can be boring, sorry. But I do agree with your other ideas - bring back the Sith and have someone else write.

11. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    the problem is there is so much written that takes place after ROTJ, including one book The Truce at Bakura that takes place almost imediately after ROTJ that Lucas would be stepping on a crap load of toes and render some books Moot depending on where we went with it, and in the process piss off alot of fans of the books, if he kept on making them after the first 3 there wouldn't have been a problem but now unless they are made from one of the multitude of books out its just not possible with out antagonizing fans possibly more so than the prequel trilogy

12. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    If Star Wars ever returned, then I want Irvin Kershner (Sp?).

13. Hand Of Omega

And...? Unavoidable when you follow up or adapt anything.
    Being a Dr Who fan, I can tell you the WHO forums are filled with 'are the books canon?', 'this book is, those aren't...', 'are the comics a true continuation?'...'what about the audio plays?' - etc, etc....
    In the end, continuity is almost always taken from the TV show, or in this case, they'd do well to stick to the film world. Maybe incorporating elements from other sources, but should only follow directly from the movie ROTJ.

14. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    I'd rather have an animated series based after ROTJ (what's with all these sequels having RO acronyms? ROTJ, ROTF, ROC) than the second Clone Wars show we have now

15. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    very true just saying no matter how its done they are gonna piss some fans off and as there very well constructed timelines for Star Wars any new material would have a difficult time finding a space with in said Timeline which to fit in not to mention they would need to cast new actors for most of the major roles, R2D2, C3P0, and Chewbaca would be the exception as the actors and actress have aged too much to pick up from where they left off in ROTJ best they could do is a cameo where they are sipping coffee and talking about the old days or something

16. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Make a new movie based on Kyle Katarn,Mara Jade and Leia's Twins.

17. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

When I mean their children, I mean the children of Luke and Leia as full grown adults, not that kiddie crap...and as Jedis/Scoundrels. While cliched, a Star Wars film without a Skywalker in the lead role wouldn't be a Str Wars film. You could have the son of Luke searching for evidence that the Sith is re-emerging. He could disguise himself as Sith being known as a rogue Jedi. You have the son of Han Leia as the faith ideal Jedi Knight under the guidance of Luke and Leia. Also, the daughter of Han and Leia could be a scoundrel type character like her father.

The sequels would never work with just the original actors alone and they'd have to be in it, otherwise what is the point. Also, the original cast is just too old (a sixty-year Han and Leia running would be heartbreaking to see), but if they use Luke as the Supreme Jedi Master in the galaxy in a Yoda/Obi-wan type of role and Han/Leia as leaders with the New Republic, now would be awesome.

18. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think they should do a KOTOR movie first, just to stir things up.
    then, do a post RotJ film.

19. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Not until Lucas is dead...

And I am serious. There needs to be a different view on the Universe.

20. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    What I would love:
    A lot of companies are doing anime shorts, Batman: Gotham Knight, Marvel, Halo Legends... so on and so forth.
    I would love to see an anime shorts collections of the book "Tales of the bounty hunters". That would be awesome.