Retro Review: Energon Ultra Megatron

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Lothar Hex, May 25, 2020.

1. Lothar Hex

Lothar Hex Perverted Sociopath™

News Credits:
    So, I recently did a poll on my twitter of 4 figures to review. After the results came in, two were tied. I chose one to do…then wrote this one instead.

Could a career in politics be far behind?

[​IMG]

So yeah, it’s another Robot Revolt Retro Review. I got this guy a while ago in an old nerd shop, not realising it was sun-damaged. I tried to paint it but it did not work. After buying a missing accessory on eBay cheap I shoved him at the back of my Megatron shelf…until a junker one was being sold for cheap. One hasty Paypal payment later I own a slightly knackered but non-sun-damaged toy and a knackered Armada Galvatron which I honestly forgot where I put it already. Two hours of careful disassembly and reassembling later, I have one very nice condition Ultra Megatron from Energon!

A show I hate.

Yes, it’s well established I make poor financial decisions.

Anywho, so Energon Megatron then. He’s certainly a weird beast. I’ve previously said I like certain anime-esque features on my TF’s, and you can’t get more anime than this. Strictly speaking, this guy is somewhere around the region of your modern voyager in terms of pricing at the time it was on sale. Though this particular version is a smaller version of the mahoosive leader class and still has all the same features. The main one being the smaller version of his Armada tank mode which works as his fusion cannon, the holder of his sword, houses all the electronics and a spring-loaded missile (which I don’t have because they’ve all been eaten by everyone’s 5-year-old) And yet he pretty much dwarfs any recent Leader toy in terms of mass. And features electronic sounds! Well, two sound anyway, as his sword clangs when plugged into the tank. Couple that which the bland yet good colour scheme, based on G1 Galvatron’s toy, and you get a very unique Megatron.

Pity he has all the articulation of someone who’s broken at least one in every limb.

[​IMG]

Yeah, whereas this guy is made of some damn nice plastic and features ratchet in all of his joints…it has almost zero ability to pose decently. Yeah he has a load of ratchet joints, but they’re quite usless because the guy is so back-heavy it makes posing him a bugger. I think this is something that a lot of people who miss “the good old days” of Transformers, they couldn’t pose for shit. Hell, this guy’s previous incarnation in Armada didn’t even have knees…and he was the only one in that line. Meanwhile, this guy’s knees are almost useless.

[​IMG]

Transforming this guy is pretty fun though, which bits that slide, rotate and click leaving you with either a spaceship or the world’s most pissed off swan.

[​IMG]

Yes, it is daft but I love it for that. It looks like a ship from a shoot-em-up game like R-Type that I’m really bad at. This is only enhanced as it has another feature. HYPER MODE.

[​IMG]

This is daft but I like it, you can do it in robot mode as well but it doesn’t change much except make his backpack take up even more shell space.

So…what do I make of Energon Megatron then? I like it, but I find it hard to put my finger on why. Perhaps it’s just because it’s so different to almost every other Megatron I own. Is it good? By today’s standard, not really. But he seems to have some undefinable quality to him.

Either that or I’m such a Megatron fanboy I’ll buy anything with his name slapped on.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  2. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible

Its ok. My least favorite Megs design in the UT. Legs killed it, but the rest of the design is just kind of ok. Doesn't have the menace of Armada, or the regal look of Cybertron, or the playability of both.

3. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The Galvatron colors made it work (or at least helped balance the mold's flaws) IMO. Too bad the Hasbro Galvatron was a rare end-of-line toy.

4. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For me, when I owned the Leader version, it was purely the tactile feedback. The Energon Megatron mold is one of the greatest Transformers ever based on hand-feel alone.

The toy itself is almost the antithesis of the aspects I enjoy the most of Transformers. I prefer more complex transformations, and generally, the more points of articulation, the better (or at least, with the bare minimum of bicep and thigh swivels, which this toy lacks). Beyond that, I find it hard going back to pre-2009 Transformers in some ways, because that was the point in which Transformers toys gained a lot more "life" to their sculpts and designs. But that didn't affect how much I enjoyed handling this toy. It's things like how when you transform his legs with their solid ratchets, and the feet automatically spring-slam into place. There's a very deep-seated, likely primal, response there that feels very zen and cathartic.

5. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

He was cool in the day , there were'nt many G1 inspired Megatrons around at the time since G1 and this was before the Classics hit that finally brought G1 back.
    So getting this guy , with the G1 look and head, with the Galvatron crest bonus, was good times.