Retro gamers! Show us your gaming setup!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Hook, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Hey TFW2005 gamers! Been a while since I've posted anything. Been busy with so many things, juggling adulting, raising a family, TF collecting, gaming and paintball, among other stuff.

So in the past couple of years, I started collecting retro consoles after a friend of min gave me an old NES. Then later I found a Sega Genesis for cheap in a yard sale. And from there, things went crazy.

So as of January 2020, this is my setup:
    [​IMG]

Handhelds:
    [​IMG]

And the wall-o-controllers (and older consoles):
    [​IMG]

Lastly, my MAME arcade cabinet. Not one of those cheap, half-assed Arcade1Up cabinets made for hobbits. This is full-sized, heavy and filled with games.
    [​IMG]

Not pictured, the PS4 Pro and PSVR setup, which are hooked up to the 4K TV upstairs in the living room.

What does your gaming room look like?

• Like Like x 10
  2. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime I'm the Luminary, dammit

I’m sure @Tripredacus could show off his setup :D 
    We both are members over at VGCollect.com, though his collection vastly outnumbers mine.
    (You can check mine out here:
    VGCollect - undertakerprime's Video Game Collection | All)

I don’t have much of a setup right now, since any space I have is mainly dedicated to TFs. I do have a bunch of stuff connected to the upstairs TV, including: PS4, PS3, PS2, X360, Xbox, Dreamcast, Wii, and GC, along with 2 large shelves filled with retro games. Our new Switch is connected to the downstairs TV.

My TF collection room houses my NES, SNES, Genesis, Saturn, N64, handhelds, and my Nintendo Game & Watches, but they’re not set up in any way yet.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

In my living room, I got my NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Genesis, Dreamcast, PS2 and O.G. Xbox set up on 2 CRT television sets. All my PS2, O.G. Xbox, Dreamcast GameCube and N64 games on shelves next to them.

My room has PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Wii U, 2 Switch, Genesis mini, NES mini and SNES mini.

I got, a original 3DS, 2 NN3DS XL, 4 3DSXL, 4 GBA SP and a Switch Lite hooked up for recharging.

My Sega Master System, Sega CD, Sega 32X, Sega Saturn, PS1, O.G Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, 2 Gameboy Color, Wii, Virtual Boy, 4 GBA, O.G. DS, DS lite, DSi, DSi XL, Turbo-Grafx 16, Famicom and Super Famicom are stored in my closet and in my newly acquired game room closet.

I plan to get 2 CRT TVs for the older systems and modest size HD TV for the Wii.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Beautiful. Just...no words. We need a poet for this work of art. :D 

Nothing like yours. :(  All I have is an N64, a Gamecube with a Game Boy Player, an Analogue Super Nt for SNES games, and a Switch. Kinda sticking with a "Nintendo-only" setup for right now, since I'm trying to save money.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

Wow, just, wow. This is a beautiful set up.

I don't have any logical set-up, and it's a bit embarrassing. I think they come in and out of rotation for a period. My biggest issue is that I've run out of space on the cabinet to actually stand the machines on the "big TV" and so I've got machines here and there hidden away on other screens (workshop, upstairs, etc).

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

I love that console set up! I thought of doing something similar, but don't have the space for it. Instead, I have all of my classic systems in their original boxes stacked in the closet.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

I showed the room before but here's some updated photos:
    [​IMG]
    The Blue Shell image I picked up at a retro gaming convention. (I'll provide the vendor name if/when I find it.) The canvas NES console/controller image is something I printed out and threw over a cheap frame from Michaels. The light switch plate (covered by the watermark) is Pac-Man themed (by way of eBay). There's a Luigi canvas because he's my favorite Nintendo character. The clock is made from a broken PS1. I took apart a broken controller and drilled the buttons into the cover for the 3,6,9, and 12 o'clock marks. There's the Lego Dimensions base (along with a few Final Fantasy VIII figures that I picked up when I was working at KB. The knock off Space Invaders handheld came in an online auction and didn't work as the rubber pads under the buttons had dried up and cracked. I used the pads from the same controller that the clock buttons came as a replacement. The cabinet holds my extra game cases.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

[​IMG]
    Systems, moving from left to right, top to bottom: Next to Bowser is an Atari 7800. (Got that cheap as the casing was cracked and falling apart. Fixed it up as best as I could.) Famicom and Famicom Disk System. XBox (via Goodwill). Sega Genesis Model 2 with Model 2 CD and 32X. Gamecube with Gameboy Advance Player. Master System and XavixPort (Trivia time: The XavixPort predates the Wii as the first motion controller system by a few weeks.) Hyperscan (arguably the worst system of its time). Colecovision. Atari 2600 and the Vintico Video in Motion (a cheap motion controller system that you might find in a CVS or discount department store). Sega Saturn. N64. Dreamcast. Fairchild Channel F (non-working, couldn't save this one). Jaguar. PS2. R2D2 Xbox 360 (It makes R2 sounds!). PS1. Intellivision (Model 1). Hyperkin 1. Odyssey2. Studio II. (It's not true that there was no Studio I. The name refers to the physical RCA Studio that was in Nashville.). On the floor is a Supercharger attachment that lets you play cassette games on the 2600.
    Second column: DVD recorder, VCR (to play Famicom games on Channel 95). Gamewave. Atari 5200.
    Third column: Wii (next to the TV). Surround Sound receiver. Nuon. NES. 3DO. Super NES.
    Fouth Column: Vectrex XBox One. Hyperkin 3. Jeopardy Game. PC Engine Duo-R (modded for NA Hu-Cards), Some other trivia game system. CD-i (behind the subwoofer).
    On the coffee table: PS3. PS4.
    Not pictured: WiiU.

The border are "coasters" that were on clearance at Target. The shelf has a few of the StarFox characters, a Psyduck (my favorite Pokemon) in a Pokeball, and Pac-Man and Dig Dug keychains that actually work. The shelving unit is from IKEA. I attached a board at the bottom and drilled out connector plates so I wouldn't have to reach behind the TV everytime I wanted to hook something up. (And wiring them all together would have been cost prohibitive. Most of the items in the picture (outside of the Playstation systems) are all second hand items that I was patient and lucky to find fairly cheap. (It cost me more for the controllers for some of the systems than it did the consoles themselves.)

• Like Like x 2
  9. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  10. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I hear you, space is a neverending issue. In my previous house I had absolutely no room for consoles.

Looks great! I've been wanting to do a wall Playstation clock for a while now, I've got a couple of extra non-working PS1 consoles I could use.

OMFG wow, that's a *very impressive collection, kudos!! Sooooo many consoles in there that I don't have (yet!)

11. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy There's no power, greater than X.

While I don't have a gaming room, I plan on making one eventually. I own some retro consoles in my grandparents attic, a Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS4, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Nintendo DS Lite, Nintendo 3DS, and I wish to one day own a arcade cabinet.

12. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

Thanks, a lot of it is stuff that I threw together on a shoestring budget. For example, most of the "ornaments" on my tree are just cheap figures that I picked up either at the Toys R Us clearance or discount stores (such as Five Below) with small eye hooks screwed into them. The clock was a bit of a pain as I had to cut out a section of the CD tray that is part of the top cover to get the clock assembly to fit inside the back of the lid. (Tin snips are my new best friend.)

Thanks. It's a mixture of consoles that I kept over the years and a willingness to lose a LOT of online auctions. Thankfully a previous job didn't exactly mind me checking ebay several times a week.* The Vectrex came from an estate sale. I also picked up some of them incomplete. The controllers for the XB1, Nuon, and CD-i cost me more than I ended up paying for the systems themselves. The key to any collection is having lots and lots of patience, setting a hard limit, and not spending past it. My only (semi-) regret is buying the PCE Duo when I had the opportunity to pursue a (fairly) cheap Pippen online. But I was certain the Pippen auction would pick up. (It didn't.)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Scowly Prowl

I also intensely adore the A1U arcade machines. Yes, I know, they are short, and the hardware and sound could be better, but they are beautiful. It's that art that gets me. If my family just turned a blind eye, I could set up an arcade in my basement from these machines, and be the happiest man on the block.

TFs! Retro games! My own arcade! It's everything I wanted when I was 11!

• Like Like x 2
  14. MetalRyde

What are those boxes you have your magazine/guides in called? I need some.

15. Scowly Prowl

I think they are similar to these:

FLYT Magazine file - white - IKEA

16. MetalRyde

17. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord