Retro Game Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by damian_1349, Apr 4, 2012.

1. MST3KFan

MST3KFan Master of the Obvious

News Credits:
    Heck, YEAH! I love Landstalker. I still have the copy my local rental store carried sitting in my collection (they went outta business and sold all their stuff.)

I remember beating the game, too. The game starts out hard until you start getting magic swords that cast spells when you use them.

Although, that isometric view on a number of the jumping/platforming sections was pretty annoying at times.

2. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime WORLD CHAMPS! Chop on!

One game that fits that description was Thexder, but I only remember it being available on PC.

EDIT: Found a Genesis game with a transforming ship called Heavy Unit. Maybe that's it?

3. KARR

KARR Roving Robot

I did some Google searching, but didn't have any luck. I'm gonna keep looking though; sounds like a great game.

The NES had a pretty good robot game called Metal Storm where you piloted a mech that could change gravity, but the best side-scrolling 'bot game I've played is Metal Warriors for the SNES.

4. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I mever finished it, I do have it on my wii downloaded and will see if I can get through it. It realy is an amazing game.

Heavy Unit looks ok but its not that one but I will go and look ad see if I can find it. The game I remeber you did notneed poweruppsto change form.

thx for the help anyway.

5. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Only one I can think of is Vortex but that was SNES. The cover is of a red robot.

Edit:
    Musha Aleste: Fullmetal Fighter Ellinor the cover for this matches your description.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  6. UndertakerPrime

I know it's a couple of pages late, but I finally got over to my parents' place and got a pic of my Nintendo Game & Watches. I also included my non-Nintendo ones. In the upper right is the first handheld game I ever owned, "Astro Destroyers," a gift from my grandmother.

[​IMG]

7. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

That's like finding a gold mine you've always had as a kid. Congrats!

Are you willing to let these go for some good old cash?

8. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Arrow Flash?

I sort of wish we could have a separate thread down here for that Platinum TF game so we could talk about it without the chaff that comes with the upstairs forums.

No probs dude, we're all here for the games after all.

9. UndertakerPrime

Well, on the one hand I am trying to raise funds to get to TFCon Charlotte, but these mean a lot to me and I would probably have to take significantly over market value to let them go.

10. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I have owned 4 of those in the pic. Great memories on those.

Is gold cuff the one that makes you jump on disapearing platforms to get the treasure, kinda looks like a mix of Tomb raider,Pitfall, Uncharted so to speak?

11. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Found an original Game Boy at a yard sale for only $2. Cosmetically, it looked good, but when I turned it on, the screen had dead vertical lines. Watched a few vids on Youtube and decided to take a stab at it and get it fixed:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also stopped by the local retro gaming shop and purchased a few NES games of interest:
    [​IMG]

12. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

i still have my original gameboy. the first vertical line on the left side is dead but still functional. i play my GB games on the GBA SP.

i'm gonna stop collecting retro games until september because there are a number of titles i want to get for current gen consoles (XB1, WIIU, PS4, PSVITA, 3DS).

yesterday, i got MK: Deadly Alliance and MK: Deception on ps2. i already had them on gamecube but ps2 controller feels more comfortable playing the over the gamecube controller.

13. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow that Gameboy is in great shape, awesome pickup!

14. UndertakerPrime

Yes, IIRC that's what it was like, but I haven't played it in a long time.
    One of these days I need to buy some batteries and test these out to see if they still work.

Nice.
    I hope you have a large chunk of time set aside to finish Rygar :p 

15. The Barracuda

The Barracuda Retro, bitches.

Even if it was completely dead, for $2 that's a damned steal. Some of the original Gameboys look like they've been through a few wars.

I remember selling my original green and black Gameboy when I picked up the Gameboy Color. This was back when it was considered just another device that had put in its time. I regret it now only because I had the GB, about a dozen games and that awesome grey carrying case.

But I was able to pick up a very clean GB in box so I'm happy now just to have it back.

Now that I bought an Xbone, I've got a few modern games I want to pick up as well. Playing Forza Horizon 2, want to play Wolfenstein, Project Cars (since it's not coming for the Wii U), might track down Alien Isolation and I guess Tomb Raider 2 and Doom 4 will be coming late this year/sometime next year. So I have to plan my purchases carefully.

16. MST3KFan

MST3KFan Master of the Obvious

News Credits:
    I've put most of my retro game purchases on hold lately because we're going to be having our basement totally redone, and all my retro game stuff is down there. So they're all going to have be packed into boxes until things are done... All...those games.... >_> Oh, God this is gonna be a bitch.

17. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nice! I loved Double Dragon 2 and Bionic Commando may be one of my favorite NES games of all time. It's up there with Mario, Metroid and Zelda to me.

18. MetalRyde

when i got Metroid 2 for gameboy, i knew what the game would look like on a GB.

so i plugged it into my GBASP and holy crap some of it is in color!

it surprised me.

19. Menasor

Menasor Jibba Jabberin' Automod

Would love to get an original Gameboy like that one. Haven't had any luck finding one in decent shape yet but eventually. I did find the first Harvest Moon game for gameboy yesterday though so that was nice.

I did finally get myself a Sega Master System though. Always had Nintendo systems growing up so I never got to play a Master System until yesterday. I don't have any games for it yet, but luckily it has the two built in games so I got to try out some motorcycle game. What games would people recommend I get for it?

20. MetalRyde

Phantasy Star
    R-type
    Shinobi