Retro Game Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by damian_1349, Apr 4, 2012.

1. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Unlikeable dry-skinned biped

Ok, so, funny story.

I didn’t pay much attention to the Atari collection that just came out. I glanced over the game list, and I felt like, sure it has some cool stuff, but nothing I have to have I don’t already have via my OG XBOX Atari collection and arcade collections for PS1.

Then yesterday I got to thinking: wait, the arcade game Food Fight is made by Atari, could it be on this thing? Food Fight has become one of my favorite classic arcade games ever, even though I only ever played an original cabinet once. I fell in love with it through emulation, but it has been mostly ignored through the years; it was only rereleased through some defunct obscure online game service I can’t recall the name of.

So I looked up the game list, and holy crap it’s there. I’m probably not going to pay full price for the collection, but once it goes on sale, I’m there. I’m glad this game is finally getting some recognition.

• Like Like x 3
  2. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

It's the deepest collection of the Atari Corp library that your likely to get from a commercial release, surprisingly so considering how terrible every incarnation of the Infogrames/SA version of the company has been up until very recently.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

My Analogue Pocket arrived! It's really cool. My GBA games never looked better.

• Like Like x 3
  4. RabidYak

Fuck yes, path traced Quake 1

My RTX card is waiting for rest of my new computer at the moment, but definitely need to give this a go when it’s built.

5. Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

Alpha Omega Trion Supreme One of the longest handles in the fandom!

Ebay:
    Was kind of excited learning this exists, but then looked through the game list and felt a bit deflated after I looked at the Atari Flashback Classics collections I already own on Switch and PS4. It's more of a history lesson than a game compilation which is fine, but I'm already pretty aware of all that history as I did a deep dive on all it a whiles back when I was heavy retro. So that's a been there done that for me.

Edit: Might pick it up on a sale just for Food Fight, I Robot and Cloak & Dagger and the Jaguar games.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I'm looking forward to it, though like you, I might wait for a sale. This might make me look up if there's Steam compatible Atari 2600-inspired controllers out there.

7. UndertakerPrime

I just looked over the game list again…and yeah, I would pretty much be buying it ONLY for Food Fight.

Regarding everything else in the collection:
    - I have zero interest in Jaguar, 5200, or 7800 games since I never owned any of those consoles and have no connection to them. Many of the included 5200 and 7800 games have their superior arcade versions included as well, so why would I play the inferior version?
    - Atari 2600 was my first console, but to be BRUTALLY honest…those games are so primitive I have little interest in replaying them. Air-Sea Battle was thrilling back then…not so much anymore.
    - I never really got into most of Atari’s arcade hits. The only one I played often was Centipede (and later Food Fight thru emulation). Asteroids, Crystal Castles, Tempest, Lunar Lander…all just a big meh.

So once it goes on sale, yeah I’ll be paying around $20 for Food Fight. Which I’m good with :D 

8. RabidYak

May the gaming gods smite you heathens for not playing Tempest 2000.

Atari SA sells modern versions for their VCS console that apparently also work on PC if you've got money to burn and i'm sure i've seen cheap ones from Hyperkin or somebody similar.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I got the RetroM Atari for that hooked to the TV feel if I want it, just thought that collection seemed like a nice way to have some of those games on Steam since I'm on there a lot anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Im going back and forth about dropping an order now that they seem to be popping them out. I just dont like handing over hundreds on preorders and would prefer it actually being in stock before placing an order.

Do you remember what fulfillment group you landed in?

11. The Barracuda

The Barracuda Retro, bitches.

Christ that looks good. But is path-traced Quake (and for that matter, path-traced Doom) that much of a resource hog?

Yeah, I love mine. Glad I pre-ordered from the first batch. The GB SP 101 was my go-to for everything Gameboy until the Pocket arrived in the mail. Every game I've thrown on there has looked amazing, even the originals from 30+ years ago.

12. RabidYak

Yep, path tracing anything is extremely resource intensive and we're in the very early days of it even being possible at all on consumer hardware in real time.

13. soybean56

soybean56 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,
    Random question here. I have a new 50" Roku TV. Nice TV, but I cannot for the life of me to get the TV to read the coax input (labeled RF IN 75 Ohms on the back). I've tried the old SNES, NES, Genesis, and a VCR. It doesn't recognize any of them. I double checked them all last night on the Samsung flatscreen we're replacing, and the units work correctly. It's the Roku's input which isn't working. I've tried resetting the TV to no avail.

Any ideas to try? Google searches led me to various bits about how to screw in the cable (ok) or how to tell the TV to search for channels. Everyone said to just use the RCA outputs on the VCR, which my VCR doesn't have. So I'd really like to get the RF in/coax to work if possible. Thanks for any thoughts :) 

14. UndertakerPrime

Most likely your new TV is not capable of displaying lower resolutions. Many newer TVs cannot display anything lower than 720p. The NES outputs at 240p and the SNES at 480p, so even with working RF or coax cables, the picture won’t show up.

My LG flatscreen is a few years old now, and it can’t display anything older than a GameCube or Dreamcast. Even the Sega Saturn and N64 won’t work without a separate upscaler.

• Like Like x 1
  15. The Barracuda

The Barracuda Retro, bitches.

And this is why CRT's are in high demand for retro gamers as TV's are just moving too far away from our old consoles; the generation gap is a canyon now. TV's (and receivers) are even getting rid of most video inputs you can plug in. I had an older CRT in my bedroom with all my consoles attached until it died and I replaced it with a newer smart TV. I love I can stream Youtube, Netflix, etc to it but it's hard to connect any older console without the picture being completely distorted. I have a large 26" Sanyo CRT left but it's too damn big to fit in my room. This is one of the reasons I'm jumping on the Analogue consoles so I can still play my games on any modern TV (with the added bonus of the picture being sharp as hell). But I still want to have a gaming "station" with my OG consoles.

16. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    its surprising with how much demand there is, some tech company isn't producing modern CRTs for some outrageous price.

I mean retro gamers will pay for specialty items, is a modern tube CRT really that expensive/risky to produce?

even a small end 20" CRT with all the bells and whistles seems like it would be a hot product.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

Realized that I haven't connected my Dreamcast in quite a while...
    IMG_20221201_180410492.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  18. xKAINxCAINx

xKAINxCAINx Goonies Never Die!

So are you ready….

tO SuFfER LIkE G dID?!?!

• Like Like x 1
  19. soybean56

soybean56 Well-Known Member

That makes sense, but would a VCR output higher than 480p? I was able to borrow (yes, I found a VCR to borrow haha) a VCR from 1998, and the SNES shows on the TV when going through that VCR with component cables--although the sound is mono. So, is it really the component cables of that VCR likely outputing above 480p that makes that work?

Edit: how could I forget? I plugged my Gamecube's Component out cable into the back of the SNES and ran those component cables to the TV. That showed the picture again with only mono sound.

Seems like a weird collection of issues, but I'm not a techie at all. That's why I'm hoping might confirm if these make sense.
    1. Coax will not show on TV with game consoles or VCR.
    2. VCR and games show on TV with mono sound when using component cables with VCR.
    3. Using (a Gamecube's) component out on the SNES I get picture and mono sound.

20. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Found a great guide on how to beat the original Metroid in less than an hour. And then I did it.

This made Metroid super simple. First time Metroid didn’t make me want to rip my hair out. Maybe I’ll use my Game+ to actually explore next time. :p 

• Like Like x 2