Retro Game Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by damian_1349, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    yeah why Id rather use community boards, marketplace or offerup first. ebay % is awful.

2. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Yeah, but on eBay I can offer world wide. The only community I'm in, where it makes sense, would be here. And for most people here the shipping rates would be expensive and the AC Adaptor doesn't fit, as well as it being PAL makes it harder to collect the games and I would imagine most people would rather have the local NTSC versions instead :D 

Never used another marketplace than eBay for selling my stuff. Except for a flea market in middle school. But flea markets seem to be just for people who'd rather have everything gifted instead of paying the price it's worth (or people selling their stuff way under the price they would get for it online).

3. rapid_fire

rapid_fire Banned

Facebook Marketplace 1000%

4. Whomps

Whomps The World's Okayest User

News Credits:
    Recently got my hands on Metroid Zero Mission. It's still really really good

• Like Like x 3
  5. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Bad Luck Incarnate

Picked up a slim PS2 and a game that I've been looking for, for 15 years. Couldn't even remember the name of the game, but remembered how great it was. Stopped at a little game shop near where I was working last week, and found them both.
    20210914_192627.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  6. rapid_fire

rapid_fire Banned

Amazing game! One of my favorites

7. Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

Alpha Omega Trion Supreme One of the longest handles in the fandom!

Ebay:
    Have been getting into Primal Rage for the 16 bit consoles. I'm a fan of the game, but really to enjoy it fully you should play the arcade version so you can really see the sprites in their full motion captured glory. The Midway Arcade Treasures features it, but oddly they changed the move sets. Never understood why. I remember reading that it was to make the game feel more Street Fighter like, but imho, if that was the reason it kind of robs the game of it's original unique feel. I do think the PS2 port of it on Treasures looks better than the Wii version. The Wii version does something with the resolution that it just doesn't look as crisp and clean. I could understand an argument being made for the PS1 and Saturn ports being the best home versions because they retain the original move sets.

But back to the 16 bit ports. I see some consensus in the youtube reviews that the SNES version is the better version. I used to believe that too, and if you only dabble in the 16 bit ports, it's easy to come away with that impression because each port made sacrifices in their transfers. At a glance the SNES has a better color palette and the sound is definitely better. However having spent some time with the Genesis version, it's clearly the better port to me. Three main reasons for that. First, the Genesis has more frames of animation. Armadon is notable here, his winning pose especially. Second, the Genesis sprite movement is very fluid and smooth. The SNES version is pretty jerky in comparison. This is blatantly apparent if you play the Genesis version for a good session then go to the SNES version. Third, the fatalities in the Genesis port are better despite having less of them than the SNES version. It's a quality vs quantity thing. For example, Diablo's fatalities in the SNES version are kind of broken; the flames don't exit his mouth correctly for the flame broil to bones one, and the toasty fatality is just plain lazy when compared to how the Genesis does it. And of course Genesis Chaos has a golden shower fatality whereas the SNES Chaos doesn't. Lastly there's little touches in the Genesis version that make it more faithful to the arcade port: stages are more accurate, and there's a ground opening animation for certain character moves.

Anyway, been enjoying these ports and just wanted to share my experience. :) 

• Like Like x 1
  8. Psychoshi

Psychoshi Grammaton Cleric

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    R. I. P.

10. The Barracuda

The Barracuda Retro, bitches.

So has anyone tried this new Actraiser: Renaissance? I just heard about it a little while ago and while I'm happy Actraiser's finally getting some love 30 years later, I'm iffy about the whole thing. The pics and what little video I've seen aren't exactly setting the world on fire. Just wondering if it's worth the price (and coincidentally enough, I just started another playthrough on my brand-spanking new Super Nt).

11. Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

Alpha Omega Trion Supreme One of the longest handles in the fandom!

Ebay:
    Just watched Game Sack's review on it and completely lost my interest. Sounds like they made the sim side of the game way too cumbersome and they used pre-rendered graphics for the side scrolling levels which also don't scroll smoothly. Thought the original SNES version looked better and feel like I should revisit that instead.

On a completely different topic....

My brother signed up for one of those mystery game box monthly deals. He filled out the questionnaire about games he wanted and didn't want, but didn't cover all his bases and ended up getting Data East's Karate Champ for the NES. He told me it was awful, so I tried it and my first impression is "There's got to be more to this, right?" So I sat down and figured it out the best I could. So yeah, there's a move set there and I got pretty good at defeating the cpu. Not so good at the end round bonus vase throwing part though.

The game isn't good. Despite the move set using different directions plus a button press, the hit collision doesn't make any sense. What works for a game point now might not next time, and I wondered if there was some kind of a defense mechanic going on that explained its inconsistency, but yeah, uh no, there's not. If you end up on the other side of an opponent, you need to turn yourself around with the "forward kick" which also changes the button controls to a mirror set, which isn't at all intuitive. Also despite the background changing between rounds, you, your opponent, and ref never do. Today's the most time I've probably ever spent with the game. It's interesting as an early entry in the NES library, but nothing anyone should really revisit. So yeah, there's not more to it than what you see at first glance.

12. CastletonSnob

CastletonSnob Well-Known Member

I beat Mega Man 2 this month.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  13. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Unlikeable dry-skinned biped

I think I mentioned this before, but…
    MM2 is a game I used to brag about beating easily every time. I had every part memorized.

But…then years later I found out the “normal” difficulty was actually an easy mode added to the US release, and “difficult” was the true difficulty the developers intended. Slight bruise to the ego there :D 

• Like Like x 1
  14. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Easy mode is in the Japanese version, but there's no menu option for it. You know that code that turns the stars into birds during the level select boss intro? Doing that in Rockman 2 activates the easy mode.

• Like Like x 1
  15. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Unlikeable dry-skinned biped

Hmmm, weird to have an easy mode but hide it behind a code.

• Like Like x 1
  16. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I guess the developers thought so too, since they added it to the menu for the US release.

17. rapid_fire

rapid_fire Banned

I finished another exploded view system. This time, I tackled and OG Xbox. It was a lot more difficult this time around, I'll probably take a dremel and shave off some of the bolt ends to pretty it up, but over all I'm happy with it.

IMG_20210930_182032_01~2.jpg

IMG_20210930_182113_01~2.jpg

This one probably took about 20 hours of engineering to get it all mounted securely, and having everything still plug in to their respective connections. Only thing i'm not happy with is the way I mounted the heat sinks, but still came out good.

Now to work on rhe lighting! Heres a portable light mounted to give an idea.

IMG_20210930_182541_04~2.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  18. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    thats pretty sick. after getting the lighting set you could plexi up the sides just exposing the drive and control/av ports/vents. I just would hate to get it dusty at all after basically making art out of it!

• Like Like x 2
  19. CastletonSnob

CastletonSnob Well-Known Member

I got Mega Man 7 today. Think it might be a repro cart, though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. rapid_fire

rapid_fire Banned

:(  yep