Retro Game Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by damian_1349, Apr 4, 2012.

1. ThatGuyCalledBlaster

ThatGuyCalledBlaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    or has it?

I think it only is right for me to quote this as I post this here.

RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE, SCOTT.

we can still consider it worthy for this thread, right?

• Like Like x 3
  2. rapid_fire

rapid_fire Banned

Bought an old N64 today and I got this stopwatch branded World Driver Championship on it. Its great shape, needs a new battery obviously. Apparently it was an EB Games exclusive handout in 1999 when you preordered the game. Never seen something like this before but thought it was neat and wanted to share my find.

20200911_214532.jpg

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  3. rapid_fire

rapid_fire Banned

Found another good haul today from local guy, couple nice little gems in there for the price. $400 (canadian) couldnt tell from the photos the guy sent me what he had or if anything was even in the boxes lol but did good. Total value is almost double what I paid for it all. Very nice shape Ninja Warriors game was the biggest suprise, Battletoads and Double Dragon another good one. Wish he had the boxes for those two haha

20200913_144632.jpg

20200913_212115.jpg

I had never actually played Ninja Warriors before, so was quite suprised when I popped it in to try it, I can see why it fetches such a high price. Very fun beat em up game, tons of different moves and the controls and graphics are all top notch.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  4. rapid_fire

rapid_fire Banned

It arrived!!!

IMG_20200915_191046_021.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  5. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Been playing the original Tomb Raider lately. Having a lot of fun with it (more than back when I first played it in ‘96) and really appreciating the level design.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    I don't know if it's a retro game, since I bought my ps3 only 6 years ago or so, but after having finished final fantasy 15 and vii remake, I went back to lightning returns, which I stopped playing 2 years ago. But I really liked that game and wanted to finish it finally, but after such a long time I wanted to remember the story better and decided to let the time run out to start new game+.

Day 1 was a little boring, but now it is a fun game again and I'm also a lot faster as it often takes only 1-3 hits to beat even the strongest enemies :lol 

I still have so many ps3 games to play and due to sales on the Playstation store I even have so many ps4 games and now the ps5 is around the corner. I wonder why I buy so many games, when I don't even find the time to play them. Not to mention all the mini consoles.

• Like Like x 4
  7. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Unlikeable dry-skinned biped

Nice!
    That's one I never had. My subscription started around issue 7 or so, and lasted continuously until the mid-2000s. The early NPs had offers to order back issues so I ended up with all the ones I was missing except issue 1. I also happened to start my subscription during the Dragon Warrior giveaway, so that's how I got my copy of DW :thumb 

@MetalRyde now owns my NP collection, though :D 
    Although I was digging through my parents' basement over Labor Day weekend and found a few I didn't know I still had, including the one with the Enterprise on the cover (I forget the issue #).

• Like Like x 4
  8. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

And my 7 year old nephew reads them. Video Game History 101.

This is a good thing because he is reading. :thumb 

• Like Like x 3
  9. Sixwing

Sixwing You have chosen poorly

^this. Reading is good (and fun).
    My only complete NES/SNES game:
    IMG_7739.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  10. The Barracuda

The Barracuda Retro, bitches.

Pretty good condition. Reading through the first 50 issues is a nostalgia punch to the gut. My favorite (and coincidentally the first issue I ever got) was the volume 14 I think, with the Rescue Rangers on the cover.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

I'm not sure if this should be in the retro gaming thread or its own enterly so if I am taking up space let me know accordingly.

I recently was looking into getting one of the neo geo minis, i also found they sell an arcade deck for it which I am cool with but I am a bit confused on a few things:

-I get the base neo geo mini is gonna have its own selection of games based on the version but I also read (or interpreted) that the arcade deck has its own set of games as well.

-I saw the samurai showdown versions also have a few more games which is fine the only thing i question of those are they set to japense language only or is it like another universal edtion

-Finally, I saw something online about how the things can get updates and you get new games (ideally the ones from the various versions) by download. Is that a thing or should I just find the one with the most games and go for that one?

I'd much rather get like an old school mvs or something but looking at aftermaket on those is insane and I'd rather drop like 200 max on something like this and have the mini hard drive ala snes classic etc then chase down the games I want.

Thanks if anyone can answer those questions

• Like Like x 2
  12. DerVernichter

DerVernichter Well-Known Member

Martial Masters and Cosmic Carnage are two obscure yet excellent fighting games that could really use some more love. You can do some really crazy stuff in them:

Also, anyone familiar with Abuse, and Aliens inspired shooter on Amiga and DOS? it was the first 2D side-scroller I've played where you could move with the keyboard and independently aim and shoot with your mouse. Great atmosphere, intense action, cool weapons, all that goodness.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    I loved abuse :) 

I think cosmic carnage wasn't rated well, but maybe I mix it up?

• Like Like x 1
  14. DerVernichter

DerVernichter Well-Known Member

Honestly it never occured to me to look up what critics thought of Cosmic Carnage when it had come out, though I can imagine them dismissing it as a Mortal Kombat ripoff just because it's a 2D fighting game with gore in it. Fighting games have it rough when it comes to reviews, since it usually takes a some time to learn them to the point where you can truly appreciate their game mechanisms. People who aren't that much into fighting games might go through the arcade ladder once, shrug their shoulders and be done with it, but fighting game nuts who love to experiment for hours, pushing the combo system to its limits to come up with crazy stuff usually fall in love with it. Granted, being able to stun your opponent multiple times within the same combo is a little broken, but more often then not the most fun fighting games are also kinda broken. Balance is important in fighting games, but focusing too much on it can leave your game a little milquetoast.

But yeah, Abuse was something else! I remember there was also an amiga game with a similar control scheme where you controlled a giant bipedal mech I liked a lot, I think it was called Walker. It was a little slower and more methodical than Abuse, but still tons of fun.

15. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Yup, walker, and it was famous for going from right to left instead of left to right.

I remember now what ByteBack's nickname reminded me of. He's posting in these threads and somehow that reminded me of BlueByte ^^;

• Like Like x 1
  16. rapid_fire

rapid_fire Banned

Still one of my fav games ever. My daughter LOVES Duck Hunt.

20200912_144311.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  17. rapid_fire

rapid_fire Banned

20200918_180651.jpg
    20200918_181251.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  18. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    I just Google for Turrican reminiscing the good old times and found out you can pre-order the anthology collections vol1 and 2 for switch and ps4. I pre-ordered the collectors edition for ps4 and mega turrican directors cut for mega drive ^^

• Like Like x 1
  19. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Gunlord X is on PS4 now as well, you definitely need to play that if your a Turrican guy.

20. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    I have that, but thanks :)