Retro Game Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by damian_1349, Apr 4, 2012.

1. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Well that is what Mario was originally intended for--back when he was going to be "Mr. Video"

2. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Stuffed with pastries and drunk with power

*looks up Mario on Wikipedia*

Well, by gum. I never knew that before.
    I guess Miyamoto-San got his wish, though not under the Mr. Video name.

3. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Preordered an Odroid Go Advanced to replace my original Go today and have been been on a bit of a Tetris binge in the meantime to decide which version i'm going to main on it.

Didn't have to try Nintendo SNES Tetris as I've played quite a bit of that over the years, I like it but was looking for something with a bit more.

Super Tetris 2 has nice presentation but way too much horizontal acceleration for my liking. Super Tetris 3 sorts that out, but it takes too many menus to get into a game for something i'll be playing on a handheld.

PS1 Tetris Plus is cool, but good gawd the load times. Also like the Card Captor Sakura TGM game, but it doesn't have a vanilla marathon mode as far as I can tell and i'd probably get some funny looks playing that on the train. Would have liked to have vanilla TGM on it, but there's no home ports of that and there is no chance the system is going to have enough horsepower to run ZN-2 games on MAME. I'd also imagine that PS1 emulation is going to be a bit brutal on the battery life.

Skipped GBA Tetris Worlds as I had it back in the day and it's not good. Finally landed on Tetris Advanced on the same system, which I didn't know even existed until recently as it only came out in Japan and is pretty much a solid fully featured modern Tetris game. There's a bit of weirdness with the wall kicking sometimes, but i'll see how much (if any) that annoys me before I go back to Nintendo SNES.

Next stop is to decide on a Puyo game since I need to get competent at that for when I catch up to the most recent Yakuza games.

4. Eric

Eric Dreadnought of Floof

News Credits:
    Got me Super Metroid and Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: The Movie for SNES off of eBay. The former I've only played on the Wii Virtual Console, while the latter I would play a lot of way back when. Right now my goal is to get back all the SNES games my big bro and I played when we were kids, along with the usual essential SNES games. It's funny regarding the Metroid series as a whole; when I was a kid, I never even heard of that series, F-Zero, or Earthbound until Super Smash Bros. came out for the N64. I kind of heard of Kirby as I saw a few commercials for it back in the day, but it wouldn't be until the aforementioned Super Smash Bros. that I would be introduced to the rest of Nintendo's franchises. :lol 

• Like Like x 2
  5. Sixwing

Sixwing Nervous Movor

That reminds me, I still want to get F-Zero for my small SNES collection.

6. RabidYak

Updating my Retroarch today for the first time in ages, mainly to check out some new features and setup Amiga stuff in it now there is a good core, and holy shit is the supersampling option in their PS1 Vulkan renderer good.

The short version is that you use hardware rendering with all the benefits that has for that system now and then downscale it to the PS1's original output resolution. If you then chuck a mild CRT shader on top of that, you get PS1 the way you remember it looking through nostalgia goggles with neither the horrible reality of wobbly polygons, texture warping and brutal amounts of aliasing you get with original hardware or the jarring contrast between between the 2D and 3D elements you usually get from running them at higher resolutions in emulators. Mileage may vary, but IMO it's the best I've ever seen PS1 games looking from what I quickly tried.

Also really impressed with the latest version of their low level multi threaded N64 emulator. Wont be switching to it for anything that isn't wonky with GlideN64 since I definitely need the extra resolution here, but running Factor 5 games at high levels of hardware accuracy without maxing out my 5 year old i7 is some good shit.

I don't think that the majority of people knew about Earthboud until later and people overestimate how popular Metroid actually is, but i'm impressed that you managed to be oblivious to F-Zero when that was one of the highest profile games for the system back in the day. :p 

• Like Like x 1
  7. Eric

News Credits:
    I'm just as shocked as you are. :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  8. RabidYak

Properly played some SNES Mario Kart today for the fist time in probably over a decade now that HD Mode 7 has made that possible without wrecking my eyes. It never occurred to me before that the map on the bottom half of the screen was actually just the playfield being statically viewed from a different angle instead of being a separate thing, but that was made blatantly obvious by the extra resolution and now I feel like an idiot for not realising it before. :p 

• Like Like x 2
  9. flamepanther

My GF finished Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night shortly after I did, and it occurred to me that she's never played Igarashi's actual Castlevania titles. I also got the urge to revisit them myself. So I thought I would set up RetroArch on my HTPC, as I hadn't done so after the last time I reinstalled Windows.

And then right around that time, they announced that RetroArch would be coming to Steam shortly, with new QOL features. So I figured I would just wait.

And now I'm still waiting :( 

• Like Like x 1
  10. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

(Sad trombone sound)

11. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

In my younger days, I regret selling off my Genesis, snes, and NES systems and games but I'm close to getting every game I had on those systems.

A few days ago, at the great store of Vintage Stock, I picked up MK 1, 2, 3 and UMK3 on Genesis and UMK3 on SNES with TMNT 4: Turtles in time on SNES.

Yesterday I got X-MEN on Genesis and now I have a better understanding on that game and TMNT: The HyperStone Heist on Genesis.

Back in the day I used a game genie on Genesis and SNES because I believed that playing some games on the hardest difficulty were too hard for me, mainly the TMNT and X-MEN. Played TMNT 4 on hard and found it too easy. Along with HyperStone Heist. I've only played X-MEN to halfway the first level to test if it worked and it does.

I don't remember much in the game but I know there is a level where you fight Sabertooth and building with glowing orbs that transform into one of the 4 playable characters. That place scared me a lot.

• Like Like x 2
  12. deathzero23

deathzero23 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's the 3rd level. Excalibur Lighthouse. The orb bothers me too. I just avoid them via jumping over or hide in the doors at the background. I can beat those 3 levels with no cheat. The following levels went uber harder.

The next 3 levels had too much platform gaps to jump over. Like the game design doesn't want you to finish the game.
    I find the plot funny though. Magneto, master of magnetism resorted to hack Danger Room. So genius of him :lol 

That's why I find Komami's X-Men more forgiving than the Genesis version.
    But X-Men 2 Clone Wars in Genesis is way better than X-Men 1 gameplay-wise.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

You know what I'd like to see this year. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Classic Game Collection with everything from NES/SNES/Genesis and Game Boy on current gen systems.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Sixwing

Sixwing Nervous Movor

Finally got the save battery in my copy of Super Mario World replaced. It's nice being able to save my progress.

15. flamepanther

The Konami trilogy for PS2, GameCube, Xbox, and PC wasn't too bad either, and the licensing should be the same as the others you mentioned.

16. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

Knowing Konami's penchant for splitting up game collections. (Looking at you Castlevania) I'm not expecting much. But if we could get the older games again to play, similar to that Lion King/Aladdin thing that came out I'd be totally in. I'm jonesing for some TMNT action again and I don't feel like plugging my NES in right now. (Plus NES TMNT could use the benefits of restore points so maybe I can finally get past world three.)

17. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

Castlevania 1-3 and Super Castlevania look great in HD.

I'd like to get the A1U TMNT machine, just because I remember that the arcade action was just smoother, even if the graphics were close on the SNES. Avengers on the SNES was the same way, IIRC.

18. RabidYak

Got the Yakuza Remastered collection this weekend. Was expecting a mid PS3 game like Yakuza 3 to be a bit jarring after playing the more recent titles in the series, but it's held up really well and isn't really much different from 0 and K1 aside from not looking as good and the UI being a bit less intuitive. Took me all of about 2 hours to get roped into hostess clubs again though, so saving the orphanage is going to have to wait a bit. :p 

Also got the Odroid Go Advanced in the post. The OS options are still rough round the edges and missing allot of basic features since the community developers have only had them for a few weeks, but the hardware and build quality are solid and there's nothing to worry about in the emulation department since it's using all the usual suspects. Will recommend 100% once the software has had a bit more time in the oven if you are in the market for a retro handheld and are tech savvy enough to build and configure it.

19. Eric

News Credits:
    Did some thinking for the past two weeks, and realized that collecting SNES carts (as well as a few other retro games and consoles) may not fit within my personal monthly budget as I had originally thought. So, I've come to the very, very difficult decision of getting out of collecting retro games...physically. I'm going to be honest: I'd rather have the convenience of playing singular entries to entire collections that are available digitally on modern systems. As such, I have mentioned several moons ago that I had gotten an Analogue Super Nt to play SNES games in HDMI. However, since I need to do some financial reorganizing, I'm putting my Super Nt up for sale if anyone wants it. I'll even throw in the retro receiver and wireless controller that I had bought for it as a free bonus. Please PM me if you're interested and we'll talk numbers. Thanks.

20. RabidYak

Games are just software at the end of the day. Your not loosing anything by not playing them on the plastic/silicon they originally shipped on and the devs/pubs/holders aren't getting your money like they should when you are buying them second hand.