Retro Game Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by damian_1349, Apr 4, 2012.

1. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Ayatollah of Roggenrola

Well, when it comes to any gaming device I either can’t afford or can’t get for whatever reason, I tend to somewhat ignore the games for it. Because there’s no point in making myself want more what I can’t have :D 

Now that the possibility is there, I’m doing more research. The truth is, there’s not a lot of TFs on my Christmas list because I don’t have much interest in Siege, so I’m focusing more on game stuff.

I appreciate the suggestion. Is there any way to actually try it before buying it? I haven’t seen any demos anywhere.

Back when the original 3DS came out, I tried a demo model at Fry’s and it gave me a headache in a matter of seconds. Really hard on the eyes.

The price is one reason I was considering the 2DS over the 3DS. However, I’ve learned a couple of things. First, the original 3DS is actually comparable in price to a regular 2DS nowadays. Second, I’ve read complaints about the screen and sound quality of both the 2DS and 2DS XL. So I’m not sure what direction to take.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Sixwing

Sixwing Another mug in a red jumpsuit

I've never had any issues with the speaker or screen on mine, aside from the fact that I stink at putting on screen protectors. The screen protector is filled with bubbles. I didn't realize original 3DSs had dropped in price, although I think I bought mine before that would've happened.

• Like Like x 1
  3. UndertakerPrime

Oops, just saw that all the 3DS’s on Amazon that are under $100 are used. New ones are closer to $200.

Anyway, I read reviews that said the 2DS screen is washed out and the single speaker affects the sound quality. It looks like the best one of the four is probably the 3DS XL. I didn’t want my wife to have to spend that much on one though.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sixwing

I hope you pick the one that fits your situation best.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

I'm a fan of this book and the ones in this series: N64 Anthology

6. Venixion

Venixion Resident Feather-brain

News Credits:

I've bought three 2DS's.

The screen problem is no worse or better then any other thing requiring a touch screen. Screen protectors are your friend and relatively inexpensive. None of us have any problem with the colors or the speakers.

The original 2DS is only 80 smackaroonies. The new one is 100 something.

The library is good.

You may or may not be able to concuss someone with the damn thing.

Not telling you to buy it, just saying that I think its a pretty nice handheld. My daughter likes it. My boyfriend who isn't really much of a gamer and just plays every now and then enjoys it after initially being ambivalent. I enjoy it.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  7. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

I have 7 3DS systems.

Electric Blue original
    Blue XL
    Red XL
    Black XL
    Metallic Black NEW XL
    Metallic Red NEW XL
    Limited Edition The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask Gold NEW 3DS XL

Why so many? Simple really: I just wanted them. And I am a collector. But I do handle my money responsibly.

Currently waiting for the fuschia original GBA system to arrive in the mail and I'll have all the colors of the original GBA released in NA.

• Like Like x 3
  8. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I haven't taken notice of a demo kiosk in awhile, but Target, Best Buy, and Fry's in my area have all had New 3DS XL demo stations. If they haven't been swapped out for 2DS, you should be able to find a demo. If it has a right-hand control nub next to the action buttons, it's one of the New models.

The main benefit, other than the analog nub, is that the New 3DS can tell where your eyes are and "aim" the 3D effect at them. Where you had to be careful with the angle of the older models and it was possible to get an eye-strain-inducing partial effect, you almost have to try to mess up the effect on the New ones.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sixwing

I love the GBA SP. It's an awesome little handheld.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Venixion

News Credits:

Hell yes it is!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sixwing

It's got a massive library when you throw in the GB/GBC, and it's a tough clamshell design.
    IMG_4480.JPG IMG_4481.JPG
    I just had to post some pictures of it. My GBA has seen a lot of use, but it still runs.

• Like Like x 1
  12. UndertakerPrime

I still have my basic cobalt GBA SP. I used to have the TRU exclusive gold-colored one but someone here conned me out of it *COUGH* @MetalRyde *COUGH* ;) 

The funny thing is...I never really played it. Even though the SP was better, I kept playing my old indigo GBA, holding it under a lamp. I've always been resistant to change (which drives my wife nuts), and that's just what I got used to. Nowadays, I play GBA games on my DS Lite. And if I feel the urge to play an older game (GB or GBC) I can just pop it in my Gamecube GB Player to play it on my flat-screen TV.

• Like Like x 3
  13. MetalRyde

Cherry Red. Nice.

• Like Like x 2
  14. flamepanther

I still have my original indigo GBA somewhere, but this is the one I use currently:

GBA0.png GBA1.png GBA2.png

• Like Like x 3
  15. UndertakerPrime

16. Venixion

News Credits:

Mine is the light pearl blue one. It still runs too.

• Like Like x 1
  17. flamepanther

Yes, that's the version 2 IPS from FunnyPlaying. The pics don't even do it justice, it is so bright and clear. It's pretty inexpensive as this type of mod goes, and fairly easy to do. The hardest part is just keeping everything dust-free until you can get the screen and protective lens secured. If you don't care about brightness controls (the default is perfect, IMO) it doesn't even require soldering.

If you want to do one of these, you can get the kit directly from FunnyPlaying (cheaper, slower shipping) or from RetroModding (faster, not as cheap). It's a good idea to also get a pre-modded system casing from either site, to make things even easier--FunnyPlaying is cheaper, Retromodding has more options. The kit direct from FunnyPlaying includes a glass protective lens, so that's already covered. I don't know if RetroModding includes the extra screen or not, but they do sell them individually. I don't recommend the replacement buttons and d-pad sold on either site. The buttons are fine, and they look pretty, but the d-pad has a shorter pivot than the OEM one, and you can basically bottom it out and hit all four directions at once. I tried them and ended up putting the original grey buttons back in.

The display area of the screen is about 1mm larger than the original in each direction, which is why the new front lens is needed. The screen resolution is an exact multiple of the original, meaning the aspect ratio is preserved and there is no interpolation (blur) in order to fit the image to the screen. There's also no gap between pixels, so everything is super clear. The contrast and clarity are better even than the second revision GBA SP. The only drawback I've noticed** is that the Classic NES/Famicom series games show some weird artifacts when scrolling. The same thing happens with the "Pocket NES" emulator, and seems to be due to the flicker filter they use for squishing two lines of resolution into one. It doesn't affect normal GBA games, and it goes away if you turn the flicker effect off. Easily worth the improved screen, IMO.

I believe they also recently put out a kit for the GBA SP, but the mod may be a little more difficult due to the hinge.

**There also are games that obviously had their palettes designed for the non-back-lit screen, but this is also apparent on the GBA SP or GB Player, so I don't consider it a flaw of the hardware.

• Like Like x 1
  18. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

The internet continues to deliver, 3 Player Final Fight that even runs on original hardware -

Hopefully somebody will get that hooked up to the Mega CD soundtrack in an emulator as well.

• Like Like x 5
  19. Sixwing

Close. I think it's called 'Flame Red'z
    I think it's because it's hard to kill a Gameboy. 15 years and still ticking.

• Like Like x 1
  20. MetalRyde

Yeah, that is the official name but cherry red sounds better. i got one. even has those marking on the top...

You cloned mine, didn't you...

got that TRU gold sp i took from UndertakerPrime :) 

got the NES design sp one from Amazon a long time ago and the pearl blue sp with the stronger light... MY EYES!

• Like Like x 2