Retro Game Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by damian_1349, Apr 4, 2012.

1. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

All the announcements recently about 8Bitdo's upcoming Sega controllers have really got me itching to receive my Analogue Mega SG. April seems like a long way away...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Cracka J

Cracka J tfs / kicks / rasslin / sfa2 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    yeah been reading up on it since Ive been enjoying the super nt. one of the big things for me is the sega cd compatibility out of the box and the gamegear functionality with the adapter.

it should work with all sega cd backups then too since the cd had no lockouts, that opens up a world of now difficult to find games

• Like Like x 1
  3. flamepanther

I started a Game Gear library specifically because I already ordered a Mega SG. I've already got a decent collection of SMS and Sega CD games too. Lack of 32X support looks like the only downside, and they're looking into ways of supporting it.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Cracka J

Cracka J tfs / kicks / rasslin / sfa2 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    i was going to order that gg adapter for the retron 5 but i guess that thing was a pos so glad i never did.

I really thought the retron 5 was gonna be great as well and it did provide that first leap of getting our old carts onto modern tvs without converter boxes, but analogue has really done this the right way. I dont feel salty abouy my retron, only paid about 70 for it at launch since I got the original price minus some apology discounts amazon offered.

It has been downgraded to a save transfer station tho for battery modding old carts. Its actually surprisingly very good at the task and I probably would have paid 70 anyway for a tool that can record and write to old game data so no harm done.

5. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

Was there ever a strategy guide for Final Fantasy VI advance on GBA?

6. Murasame

Murasame We like to talk big, vampires do

News Credits:
    I would really love to see the Mega SG connected to a Sega CD II. I fear it is too small and it would look weird. But if it looks right... I could see myself getting one and then a CD II for it. I don't need it, but the HDMI stuff sure is cool. I'm actually really interested in this, especially if they will bring out a patch to also support 32X games. But it would also be my third console to play Mega Drive games...

7. flamepanther

I finally got my Black Friday order from Krikzz's EverDrive store! I got a Famicom format EverDrive N8 and the new X7 version of the Master EverDrive. Now if I could only find time to set up my Famicom and Master System to try them out :banghead: 

I have the same concern. If it's a bit small, maybe someone will make a filler piece to go around it, like Sega made for putting under the Model 1 console on the Model 2 CD unit. Either way, we know it'll look silly on a model 1 CD unit :p 

I'll still end up using it with my Model 2 CD either way. Function over form--but both would sure be nice, right? The renders do show the console being just a bit wider than a 6-button gamepad, so it might be wide enough to not look weird. Maybe.

8. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Using the NES Classic, I introduced a friend on mine to playing Super Mario Bros 3 for the first time over the holidays (made sure to have a second controller handy). Fun times.

• Like Like x 1
  9. gregles

gregles quintesson

I got the updated version putty squad reduced to just over £3 on PlayStation store and it actually improves on my old SNES favourite. The controls are slightly different but in a good way and with the new challenge mode I might actually get to see some of the later levels for the first time as the problem with a lot of old platform games was they only gave you a handful of lives and continues with not enough ways to save so some of the older levels where never seen by most players. You can still play the game as it was if you want the challenge. I wish they would be slightly tougher where you have to win all of the challenges at around world 3 or 4 where you have to get 100% of the award medal things to unlock 5.

10. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just bear Castlevania: Dracula X for the first time ever. Downloaded it for the Wii U a couple weeks ago.

I was expecting a much harder game based on the AVGN retrospective, and while it did have its moments, it wasn’t really that hard. Not to the point that I was throwing the controller (though I may have screamed into my pillow once or twice).

Need to replay it. I accidentally skipped the level 3 boss, when I fell down a pit & it took me to level 4. I wanna see what that boss was.

I’d give it a solid C+.

11. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Interesting article about the game Doom in the workplace back in the 90s.
    Doom in workplaces

• Like Like x 2
  12. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

• Like Like x 2
  13. flamepanther

It's always nice to learn I get a free game along with something else I already bought :D 

• Like Like x 1
  14. RabidYak

Looks like a pretty nice one as well, it's probably the most Amiga looking game i've seen that wasn't actually for the Amiga -

• Like Like x 1
  15. flamepanther

It does have that sort of Bitmap Brothers look to it! The action looks to be cut from the same cloth as Mega Turrican, which was what I was hoping would be included. I think I'll be content to have this instead (and very excited if it includes both)

• Like Like x 2
  16. Sixwing

Sixwing What did you mean by "in Tribble"?

I always love it when something like this happens. We need to find a way to better preserve games. Also, does anyone know if those Genesis cartirdge adapters that plug into an SNES cartridge work with the Retron 2?

17. flamepanther

It's not really the best solution for playing Sega games, but it ought to work. It just uses the SNES for power and controller input. It has its own video cables that you have to hook up to the back of the cart.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Sixwing

Sixwing What did you mean by "in Tribble"?

Huh, I thought you just plugged a cart into it. Thanks for the info.

19. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's evil!"

News Credits:
    Bought an AtGames Legends Flashback console the other day on clearance for $20. It's a pretty nifty little system with several arcade games I'd never heard of along with some classics like Burgertime, Mappy, Skykid, Strider and more. I'd never really sat down with Lock N Chase before now - that's a pretty fun Pac-Man clone.

• Like Like x 1
  20. RabidYak

Just put an order in for the 8BitDo M30 since the early feedback has been good, have been starving for a good quality Sega layout controller for a long time and rolling with that instead of the Retro-Bit stuff as they look more comfortable then any of the original designs.