Retro Game Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by damian_1349, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    looks like hyperkin also finally put out the equivalent of a turbo booster reissue for tg16. for $20 its just a little plug for the back of your tg16 that can output in standard rca. I know people on ebay had been making home crafted ones for years now but they were a bit more than $20 so that feels like a good deal.

I had hacked the pins on mine years ago to make the output work but I picked one up just to have if my little rig ever fails.

2. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Unlikeable dry-skinned biped

A couple weeks ago I determined I needed new component cables for my PS2. In looking at what’s available, the prices for PS2 component cables have an extremely wide range. Is it safe to assume that the more expensive the cables, the better they are? I don’t really want to break the bank buying cables, but I don’t want a shit picture either.

3. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Loved doni crisis and never played the second part.

4. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Dino Crisis 1 really should get a new port if they don't have any plans to remake it, it'll probably scrub up pretty well with a new set of textures and some better models.

5. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

So did Dino Crisis use the same game engine as RE or what? Because there is, definitely a similarity to the entire engine. I agree, the first one deserves a Remake in the vein of Resident Evil HD. Hell considering the vast similarities you could argue it could take place in the same universe, toss in some references to T-Virus or Umbrella, have some fun and bam instant crossover. Capcom however seems to have let this IP turn to scrap, considering what I read on the X-box exclusive Dino Crisis 3... Definitely will ignore that title in the series.

6. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wonder if Capcom will give the Dino Crisis series the HD remake treatment like they did with Resident Evil 1 and 2.

7. RabidYak

It's clearly not the same specific engine as any of them, but i'm sure there's some shared code under the hood and you can see the evolution from RE2/3 to DC1 to CV.

8. Scrapper6

Not to sound like an idiot, but what's CV?

9. RabidYak

Resident Evil : Code Veronica

10. Scrapper6

Ahhh, so used to CV being CV X didn't click.

11. rbarron64

rbarron64 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hello all, I recently started a thread about psp/ vita clones preloaded with roms and emulators. After doing some research I've lowered my expectations about supported systems. If it plays up to GBA games I'll be happy. I've narrowed it down (due to budget) to
    Gameplayer x9
    Pap kiii plus or gameta 2
    Rs-97
    Anyone have experience with any of these? I am keeping an eye out for a cheap psp but for pick up and play i think these will do fine.
    Any feedback would be appreciated, either here or pm to avoid detailing thread. Thanks!!

12. Scrapper6

Well, I got 1 Ending. Guess it's the best one since nobody dies and the Rex is gone. I don't get why people say you shouldn't kill the dinosaurs, but I guess when I eventually tackle Normal I'll see just how ass clenchingly hard they really can be.

As a somewhat OCD gamer though I have a serious question. Is it possible to get enough plugs to open every single emergency box in the game? Or do they limit that even on Easy mode?

13. Scrapper6

So I got the second ending in under five hours, great easy bit of fun. Considering how tough Normal is in Dino Crisis 2 though I'm not sure I'll enjoy it in the original, then again Dino Crisis 2 seems to throw some of the gameplay out of the window. Why on Earth do they have re-spawn points for every enemy? Just because you need folks to get points to buy ammo and weapons now instead of finding them lying around? Yeesh Capcom, why fix something that isn't broke? Finally got something that can actually kill Allosaurus, but fuck is aiming in this game bullshit. He's got a raptor charging him from behind and he targets the one farther away... stupid auto-aim AI.

Oh well... it could be worse I suppose.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Cracka J

News Credits:
    didn't see these before but 8bitdo has wireless pcbs for sale to mod your old pads to wireless!

8BitDo Shop

pretty slick, but you have to buy their wireless adapters too which put the total prices over what they charge for one of their controllers + adapter.

still, cool if you already own some of their adapters and want to convert your original pads over.

• Like Like x 1
  15. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Alternatively, you can use them without an adapter on Android, Raspberry Pi, Switch, or a Bluetooth capable PC. 8bitdo's controllers are super versatile :) 

Hell, the adapters are versatile too. The micro-USB ports on them aren't just for firmware updates. You can also use them as dedicated BlueTooth-to-USB adapters for PC, Android, etc. All supported controllers will appear as XInput devices.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Cracka J

News Credits:
    yeah kinda realized it was a complete bluetooth mod for any compatible device a bit after posting. pretty awesome kit if you just want it for something like that (and like me have a few spare pads just collecting dust).

my super nt is out for delivery today too and i charged up my new sf30 8bitdo pad ready to go. hope it is all I expected when i get off work!

• Like Like x 1
  17. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Dude, you are about to have a really good time. :D 

18. Cracka J

News Credits:
    the only sucky thing is I dont really have anything else for snes I need to buy. I have all my desired games from my childhood, all the stuff I had sought after and a few more random titles on top of that.

I bought rockman x2 just to have all the snes x games (i am cheap and no way spending close to 100 on the us ver)...so now Im really as complete as I want to be on snes.

but i guess that means I have a ton of carts to enjoy on the super nt!

• Like Like x 2
  19. Cracka J

News Credits:
    so Ive been playing the super nt a bit and got a pretty much brand new console off ebay. its pretty and Im happy with buying used and saving about $50 over new after shipping is factored in.

the only major dislike is it comes with a lousy 4ft power cord...I mean its micro usb so you can swap it out with whatever but a 4 footer isnt gonna rig to anyones entertainment system properly. that was just an odd choice.

but as far as playing games its pretty amazing. im sure there is minimal lag with the bluetooth controller included in the mix but its gotta be super small cause im not feeling it on platformers and thats usually where it is the worst.

and the 8bitdo pads are phenominal for this system. feels just like the snes pads did and very responsive. Im super happy with diving into this console so far!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Born Toulouse

Born Toulouse Paranoid Security Chief

News Credits:
    Finally snatched Monster in my Pocket (NES) off of Ebay for a decent price. Getting that cartridge reminded me of how much I adored collecting those little plastic figures of mythical creatures and monsters back in the day, good times :) .

Ah, and thanks everyone for the tip about vgcollect, that makes physical NES game no. 87 for me.

• Like Like x 3