Retro Game Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by damian_1349, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    and thats why a japanese metroid book wouldnt be available for them to translate?

again all dark horse and udon are doing is translating awesome jp art books. they arent producing new materials. the source material has to exist before they do their work.

2. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Yep, but it's still pretty far down the pecking order in the west. It's a franchise that rightfully has a big reputation for the quality of its games and the influence that the earlier titles have had on other things since, but it's not one that is actually reflected in sales figures.

• Like Like x 1
  3. gregles

gregles quintesson

I’m a huge street fighter and capcom vs snk 2 fan so I have always been curious about snk fighting games especially as I only had a few dodgy SNES pal ports and obviously couldn’t afford snk’s own console as a child so I have gradually been getting them on PlayStation store.

I have Garou Mark of the wolves, last Blade 2, fatal fury collection vol 2, king of fighter collection oroki saga, samurai showdown VI and the art of fighting collection.

A lot of these are PS2 updates so I don’t think you can play them online but even the ones that are not like Garou and last blade 2 as they are old games with limited begginer opponents to learn against and without modern functions like combo trials to teach me it’s really hard to learn how to play these games properly.

Can anyone who knows more about snk fighting games offer me some good advice or a resource of information like a guide in learning some of these games?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    To me Zelda, Mario and Metroid are Nintendo 's top three

5. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Not an SNK guy personally, but the wikis at Shoryuken and Dream Cancel are probably the best sources for the games that people play.

Shoryuken Wiki!
    Dream Cancel Wiki

I'd imagine that there is allot of stuff on YouTube as well.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  6. Cracka J

News Credits:
    gonna sound like a dick response but honestly time & someone who enjoys playing them with you.

you should be able to find a lot of tourney footage for high level play on like motw and kof13 as i think those are regarded as snks best. motw plays very close to cvs2 in k groove so maybe start with that if you are familiar with cvs2.

7. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    I never learned a beat em up. I just play them to have fun. Not interested in learning combos. If they happen it's accident.

8. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I loved Samurai Showdown because it was like the anti-combo fighting game. At a time when Killer Instinct and Primal Rage jumped into the scene with their combo heavy engines, you could end a round with two or three mega slices in SS.

9. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

The other point to remember here is that they need to recoup their costs. Zelda and SMB have enough general market appeal that the number of fans of those series that are also in the category of consumers that would purchase an art book is large enough to garnish a profit. I'm not convinced (and apparently neither are they) that there's enough demand to cover it. Resources are finite and those work hours/investment may be better spent elsewhere.

10. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

They all boil down to one basic idea: controlling real estate. If you take away the area up close (the Dragon Punch in Street Fighter is a great tool for this), you force your opponent to back up. Projectile attacks on the other hand are a way to keep your opponent from staying away. The true art is in learning to control the medium distances. (Similar to the way that offense in American football can be divided between long passes, short passes, and the running game.)

11. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

Secret of Mana on SNES has so much in common with Chrono Trigger's sound design it's amazing. The music really reminds me of Chrono Trigger.

12. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Unlikeable dry-skinned biped

I know Secret of Mana is considered a classic, but I rented it once many years ago and there’s one aspect I couldn’t get past: you have to be so close to the edge of the screen for it to scroll, I found myself just inching forward all the time to avoid running right into an enemy that you don’t have time to react to. It literally gave me a headache, and I haven’t played it since.

• Like Like x 1
  13. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I'm not aware of any Japanese Metroid art books, but there are several manga that could be brought to the West. At least one of them is considered to be canonical to the game universe. They could also reprint the Nintendo Power comics with commentary and interviews or something.

14. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Fuck, still cannot get across the slippery bridge on death peak in chrono trigger. That sucks. I want to get chrono back and progress with the game then :/ I even tried wired controllers, but doesn't make a difference. I already leveled up so much, because of the one enemy in the cave you encounter every time you fall and have to get up through the cave to get back to the bridge again. Only once I made it nearly across and fell the last step. Now I only make it as far as the first stop where the bridge goes up again. I tried it 60 times and can't stand to play it again over and over.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Cracka J

News Credits:
    dude i dont think you can do it without the clone and nus. you said you had them but something isnt right.

16. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    That video stops before the part that I fail at

It's this at 2 minutes

It definitely doesn't work like that in the video if you walk that slow you get instantly blown off.

Also another thing that doesn't work like in the video: if you push up you will fall down on the other side.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  17. Cracka J

News Credits:
    ah gotcha. are you dashing while holding up? hes just holding up to stay locked in position without dashing. I havent played through this spot in ages so i dont remember the mechanics.

18. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:

For some reason, Metroid isn't quite as popular. Some people speculate that its due to larger gaps inbetween games, so the momentum isn't kept up, as it is for Mario and Zelda. Some think its because its a harsher series, whereas Mario and Zelda are more accessible. I really don't know why its not a top tier franchise myself? I like the series, but its not one of my personal favorites either. I've been playing a lot of Metroid myself lately.

19. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

All the Tomb Raider games on PSN are almost 85% off from what I can recall. Think I'll pick'em up tomorrow and add them to my collection. I mean PS One versions probably aren't as polished as the updates, but I'll guarantee they'll be interesting to explore. And at 89 cents a game how could I go wrong?

20. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    OMG, I finally made it. After carefully observing how strong the wind is on the path I walked it with a mixture of slowly walking up and dashing where necessary. I still needed 7 tries, but this time it worked. I can't believe how long it took me. It stopped me from playing this for weeks, if not months.

I'm back, baby :D 

Chrono Trigger <3

• Like Like x 3