Retro Game Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by damian_1349, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Yeah, Macross 2036 is one of my favorite shooters on the PC Engine. While it may be a little easy on normal difficulty, I love the game. I enjoyed the game play, music(original Macross music) and story/cut scenes. You should check out the youtube vid. At 26:20 forward is my favorite parts.

2. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Oh, here's a tip when buying used Japanese CD-ROM games. Even if you think you bought a game without the obi (spine), remove the tray and check behind it. I've had a couple of games where someone stowed the obi there, but the game was resold (and priced) as incomplete. :D 

3. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

Alpha Omega Sin. He's a retro video game collector in the Philadelphia area and is -to put it midly- highly opinionated. His videos are typically rants on some current video game news story or rumor. And yes, that is indeed his personal collection in the background.

4. maz25

maz25 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Never saw this cat before, thanks. He is pompous, but somewhat entertaining.

5. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

You've just crossed over to...

The Twilight Zone.

F Zero's sound better on it. Please don't kill me.

• Like Like x 1
  6. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Yo, Ding Dong man. Ding Dong. Ding Dong, yo.

I was watching the Angry Video Game Nerd’s latest video on wrestling games, and for the first time, I found myself vehemently disagreeing with him.

Yeah, most games from LJN are hot garbage. But, I found WWF Wrestling Challenge on NES to be a major improvement over Wrestlemania. And the SNES games were a hell of a lot of fun, especially Royal Rumble. At least in my opinion, they were the best WWF games until Wrestlemania 2000 and No Mercy on N64. James seemed to be calling them crap without bothering to learn how to play them.

I’m sure not saying the NES WWF games are as good as, say, Tecmo World Wrestling, but I think Mr. Rolfe was letting his LJN bias affect his opinion.

7. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    I never agreed to him. That guy doesn't know shit.

8. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

Anyone else has game time memories with Valis series?

I'm not sure which one was my first. Maybe on the PCengine.

9. flamepanther

I was at a panel that James Rolfe gave at a game convention a few years back. He stated outright that the AVGN is just a character he plays (based on himself, but still just a character) and that AVGN will trash a game that James Rolfe actually likes, if he thinks it will be funny. He does highlight some legitimate problems in his videos, but they're still more a roast of retro games than any kind of serious criticism.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    Thank you for explaining. It wasn't clear to me. There are people on the internet who make videos exactly like that and they really mean it.

11. flamepanther

It's funny because there are now, but there weren't when he got started. :p  People have taken his act without realizing it was satire.

12. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    I'm crawling back in the rabbit hole that is called the PC Engine even though I have a respectable collection.

13. UndertakerPrime

Yeah, thanks for the enlightenment :) 
    I know he’s been around a long time but I didn’t actually start watching until the last couple years. I’ve seen how he will exaggerate for comic effect, but I guess I always figured his views on these games were genuine.

14. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

And IBSD is a major improvement over dysentery. They're still both a lot of shit.
    The Nerd is the complete opposite of James Rolfe. If you watch Mondays With Mike and James you'll get a better glimpse of the real deal.

15. UndertakerPrime

Haha, true. But I was at least able to elicit some level of enjoyment from Wrestling Challenge. With Wrestlemania, I didn’t know any better so I didn’t realize it was shit. And I never owned Steel Cage Challenge, but from what I’ve played of it, it’s total garbage.

I know a lot of people like Pro Wrestling, but I was never impressed by it. I know that’s like retro gaming blasphemy (I guess a winner isn’t me ;) )
    Tecmo World Wrestling was my NES wrestling game of choice. I’d just pick Dr. Guido and giant swing the hell out of the computer :D 

16. flamepanther

The example he gave was that he loves Castlevania II: Simon's Quest. Most of the games he bashes really are crap, so it often really is an exaggerated version of his actual views. But if he thinks it will be funny to roast a good game, he'll do that too.

It's been awhile since that panel, but I think he said AVGN was based on himself when he would get drunk and talk about games during college.

Of course, since it was a caricature in the first place, and he's spent years developing the character, and he's undoubtedly matured as a person since the part of his life it was based on... yeah, it's not going to resemble him in real life. It's maybe not the best analogy, but it's kinda like how Stephen Colbert's character (also named Stephen Colbert) from the Daily Show and The Colbert Report is based on himself but recast as a conservative talk show host. The result ends up being totally different.

17. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Awesome article from Kotaku about people preserving the history of Japanese video games -

Saving Japan's Games

I'm always interested in particular to hear about classic Japanese computer gaming as it's such an obscure topic outside of Japan despite being an important part of gaming history.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    Japanese video games are the best. I'm not a fan of modern video games on consoles being basically mostly pc games.

19. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Except they aren't though.

FPS is most definitely a PC genre that made the jump, but thats the only major console market genre where that is the case. TPS and Open World have heavily mixed origins, sports games have been a console driven genre since the early 90s, Fighting exists as we know it today because of a Japanese arcade game, Racing is largely an arcade/console thing and I don't think that we need to talk about RPGs lineages again.

The other traditional PC genres like Strat, Sim and Adventure are still firmly entrenched on PC with a relatively light presence on consoles.

What is true is that the modern AAA scene is largely dominated by western companies and that allot of that was enabled by them being better prepared for the PS3/360 generation because of their experience in PC development. Personally I think it's an increasingly irrelevant distinction for that segment of the market at this point anyway since almost all mid to mega budget third party games come out on both now regardless of what genre or country they come from.

I think it's also interesting how the FPS genre diverged to fit the different business models of PC and Console and is gradually coming back together again, but that's a topic for another post.

20. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop!

I found a cart or the first game for Genesis. Good game, but the cut scenes have atrociously slow dialog.