Retro Game Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by damian_1349, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

Same reason people want to see other people throws balls.

2. andyz

andyz Banned

I'm fond of retro games! Especially I like all mario and pokemon games. I can play them for hours

3. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Unlikeable dry-skinned biped

First off, welcome to the board.
    Second, spill the beans. Which particular Mario and Pokémon games do you like?
    My first Pokémon game was Blue, and I was in college when it came out :) 
    I think I first finished the game with Blastoise, Dugtrio, Dodrio, Onyx, Articuno, and Electabuzz :D 

4. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Interestingly, the LP'ers might yet actually prove useful. Cuphead has apparently fueled a debate over whether difficult games are "exclusionary" and whether people who pay for games are "owed" access to the ending by skipping the hard parts. I have no idea how to get across to these people why building Game Genie cheats into everything undermines the entire concept of gaming, it should be so obvious. But as long as you can access all the story and pretty graphics on YouTube and Twitch for free, then at least there's somewhere we can tell these folks to fuck off to.

5. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

I don't agree. If I spend my money on a video game, it's my experience to ruin. Likewise, if I buy a DVD set of the Star Wars films then whether or not I ever remove Episode I from the case won't affect your relationship with the films. If Cuphead is too difficult for most people (and it seems that it is) that's between Microsoft, the game's publisher, and the consumer. And ultimately if consumers continually don't get enjoyment out of their products, that's a business decision that Microsoft is going to have to deal with. (Just ask the folks that used to work at Atari.)

6. ma70er

ma70er HasTak/3P TF Collector, Gamer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Games I've either played through or finished, I usually watch LPers just to see how they react to them, especially if it's a game I myself enjoyed. Most of the time I'm on the forums on my desktop, I have an LPer going on in the background open in another tab :D 

7. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

Historically, that debate has already been put to rest. Especially, with game genie vs Nintendo. Ultimately, each person's experience is different and it's also about choice. It should be the same for LPers. Watching and playing are two completely different actions.

Let me further this discussion by asking the ff: if a video game only has story and pretty graphics to make it great then is it really a video game? Interestingly enough, the one company who is against LP is probably the one and only company to base their creations almost purely on gameplay rather than story.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  8. flamepanther

I may not have communicated the debate clearly. The question isn't whether players should be able to cheat. The question is whether the developers are obligated to build cheating into their games (a "skip boss" button is one hypothetical idea being thrown around), to never lock any content behind achievements, or to make every game easy enough that anyone can finish it effortlessly without cheating.

If you wanna cheat at your own games, that's fine. I've done it. But finding ways to cheat should be up to the player, not the responsibility of the developer. And it should be clear that it's cheating and not an intended use of the game.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    How bout if a game is too hard u either
    1) git gud
    2) find another game to play

Fucking entitled brats these days think every dev has to cater to them. Buy your indies on steam then, get a refund if your asshole is bleeding. There are plenty of ways to still be a smart r3tard gamer if u really suck that bad at games.

There is no reason this should even be a conversation outside of butthurt and entitlement

• Like Like x 3
  10. seali_me

Ah! Sorry I misunderstood that post.

I always thought that some devs suck at their own game and built cheat codes to play test it.

How are kids and kids at heart suppose to get good when games aren't as expensive and are like a dime a dozen? There are so many selection in games these days we can't even possibly play them all.

Back then, we played our games to death and got really good at it cause we didn't have any choice. :lol  Now we barely even have time to finish a handful.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  11. flamepanther

That's usually for getting to specific parts that haven't been tested yet, by breezing past the parts that have been. Play testing while cheating isn't effective, since it doesn't represent how the game will normally be played.

In actuality, the reason a lot of old games are so incredibly difficult is because the developers were too good at their own games. They already knew all the level layouts, enemy patterns and timings, puzzle solutions, etc. without any trial-and-error or guesswork. Games that most people struggle with are deceptively easy if you know them too well (on account of having made them).

• Like Like x 1
  12. seali_me

Don't know where else to put this...

The biggest YT blowhard is back.

13. seali_me

The most famous code was created because the developer porting the arcade game to home consoles found it too difficult.

Even simple infinite continue cheats were made available because a lot of the games back then were first developed to munch coins rather than actually making it fun.

I'm not familiar with cuphead and how difficult it is but perhaps what some might want is an easier introductory difficulty settting. Maybe not for themselves.

While I do love and prefer harder difficulty settings and better AIs, I also need the game have an easier setting so the entire family can join in. That's something I've only realized after having kids.

I do agree though with setting a reward/incentive behind finishing a harder task. ex. want to see the true ending? Finish the game in hard mode. LPers might not agree with that because it involves actual work not play. Their plight only of course benefits them.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  14. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Shouldn't he get enough revenue from YouTube to afford a haircut and groomed beard? That's what I'm wondering everytime.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    :lol 

16. seali_me

Grooming? He looks like he hasn't taken any baths since last time I saw him.

Either way, he'll probably argue back that it's part of his charm.

17. maz25

maz25 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I am not current with the fan vids and such. Who is this guy and is the background his legit collection?

18. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    Don’t forget how this bum will pepper in “motherfucker” in just about every sentence. He’s making Samuel L. Jackson look embarrassed to say that word.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Ouch my wallet. I just bought 6 PC-Engine games (Bundle).

Macross 2036
    Akumajou Dracula X
    Seirei Senshi Spriggan
    Spriggan mk2
    Steam Heart’s
    Nexzr

I'll post pics once it arrives. Any PC-Engine/TG-16 owners should really look into Nexzr. It's highly underrated.

20. flamepanther

Macross is surprisingly affordable, but some of those others! Ouch! ;) 

Congrats