Retro Game Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by damian_1349, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

As were the games. We had a copy of TeleBoxer that we were eventually selling for a dollar.

2. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Except for Jack Bros :( 

3. UltraAlanMagnus

UltraAlanMagnus See ya!

News Credits:
    I managed to get a Working Gamecube Today & replaying Paper Mario: TTYD.

Oh Yeah!

• Like Like x 2
  4. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Just watched an interesting documentary on Night Trap with the original designer, from the original NEMO development up to the new version -

Also cool is that the new version is going to include the first public release of a short prototype game that they made before NT to sell the idea to the suits at Hasbro -

5. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

News Credits:
    Finished Dragon Quest on my phone, really great update to the original NES. Grinding wasn't too bad because you can auto save, and it was only 3 bucks! On to Dragon Quest 2!

6. Ryan1986

Ryan1986 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    So many rpgs on the psp. Disgaea, tactic orge, ys, kingeom hearts were personal favourites :) 

7. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop!

Finally got Mega man 2, and snagged a repro cart of Sweet home, I think i'm good for a while.

8. flamepanther

Snagged a couple of games this weekend, but the most notable is the SNES version of TMNT Tournament Fighters! :D 

• Like Like x 1
  9. RabidYak

Love SNES Tournament Fighters. Has some wacky balance issues, but aside from that it's a great fighting game that never got it's due.

10. The Barracuda

The Barracuda Retro, bitches.

Mega Man 2's my favorite. Probably and maybe arguably easier than most in the series (especially 1), I still loved that game. I played 2 before 1 and it cemented my love for Mega Man. I remembered playing the first a little bit after at a friend's house (who I rarely hung out with, but he had the rarer Mega Man 1 so it was all good) and found it hard as fuck.

Tournament fighters was a really good game, it just got overshadowed by fighters like SFII and MK and by the Turtles 4 game. I loved being able to play as obscure characters from TMNT lore like Wingnut and Ray Fillet, though I was a little less than impressed with the original characters they created.

11. flamepanther

That's because the US version of the game has the cheat mode permanently turned on unless you choose the "hard" difficulty setting ;) 

The game has a lot of charm, but it's a bit rough in places, and pretty unforgiving for a fighting game of that era. I think Aska was the only original character in the SNES version. The others that weren't from the cartoon were all from the Archie or Mirage comics.

12. RabidYak

It's a really interesting game considering when it came out IMO, It has the same sort of fast and aggressive gameplay as Super Turbo despite coming out a few months before that hit arcades and it has meters when they had only been introduced about 6 months earlier by Shodown. The team making it definitely knew and cared what they were doing, even if the gameplay wasn't quite as polished as a Capcom or SNK game.

13. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Yo, Ding Dong man. Ding Dong. Ding Dong, yo.

This is almost exactly my story. I played MM1 at someone else's house and thought it was too hard. Got MM2 and LOVED it, still my favorite in the series. But I didn't know until I was older that the "difficult" setting was supposed to be the default. Now I feel stupid for bragging to my classmates how easily I could beat it :confused: 

SNES TMNT TF had some amazing graphics and animation for a 16-bit game, and an impressive number of voice samples (GROUND CLAW! GROUND CLAW!). I also loved the background cameos from other characters, like Bebop and Rocksteady, and even the Neutrinos :D 
    My only real knocks against it are the difficult combo system and the somewhat stiff gameplay.

14. flamepanther

Purely from a presentation standpoint, the cut scenes are lacking, the translation is janky, and the voice samples are severely low-resolution. When "Aura Crusher" sounds like "Claw Fucker" you've got a problem ;)  I've read that the cut scenes and voice samples (...and TNA...) were enhanced for the Japanese release.

Still, for a console-original fighting game, it's near the top of the stack. The graphics, speed, and gameplay don't leave a lot of room for complaints.

15. UndertakerPrime

It's definitely a hell of a lot better than Justice League Task Force. I still remember when I bought that game from Babbage's, thinking that maybe I should save my money instead...yeah, I should have. That game's not very good. The graphics are OK, I guess.

16. FanboyX

FanboyX is a real boy

Yeeeeah JLTT. What a stinker and a letdown that was. Funny to think about, knowing how solid Injustice is. Outside of SFII and MKII, Eternal Champions (I think) was my favorite fighting game.

Almost all of my retrogaming is dedicated to SNES and Genesis JRPGs on my Wii U or Steam. Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger (and Cross, though cant find an official emulation), Breath of Fire II, FF4, FF6, and Shining Force II are my favorites. I enjoy the odd side scrolling platformer as well, chiefly Mega Man/X, Metroid, Castlevania, and Earthworm Jim.

17. RabidYak

I'm pretty sure that Chrono Cross is available on PSN for PS3/PSP/Vita if you have any of those systems, although your better off just playing it on your PC rather then rely on digital downloads for old systems that Sony seems to have no interest in enabling on their current platform.

The most interesting thing about JLTF is that it hooked Blizzard up with the guys that went on to make Diablo, so it's not a total bust despite being a shit game that they don't want anyone to remember.

• Like Like x 2
  18. flamepanther

That is interesting. I would never have guessed!

19. UndertakerPrime

I never got into Eternal Champions, though I know a lot of people did. I started on SFII and MK, then branched out to Tekken, Soul series, Darkstalkers, and Capcom's X-Men fighters and VS series. Most fun fighters I ever played are Vampire Savior on Saturn, Tekken Tag Tournament, and Marvel vs Capcom 2.

And I'm aware that this is blasphemy, but for me, Chrono Cross > Chrono Trigger. Overall, I just had more fun with Cross.

Ha, I totally forgot Blizzard worked on that game. Only other Blizzard games I recall from the pre-Diablo era are Lost Vikings and Blackthorne. I actually enjoyed Blackthorne. I would TRY to keep from shooting the chained-up prisoners, but OOPS, sorry, my bad :D 

20. FanboyX

FanboyX is a real boy

Re: Chrono Cross. I actually agree. I love Trigger and the fact that without it and Radical Dreamers CC wouldn't have happened, but Cross was such an investment of time and emotion for me that I cried real tears as a kid during the Schala perfect ending. Replaying Chrono Trigger, there's lots to like but nothing that hooked me like that. I also loved the huge cast, the element system, and the great lengths put into giving each character definitive traits and speech patterns even if they're totally unimportant to the plot. Its still a little shocking to me that people don't like it.