Retro Game Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by damian_1349, Apr 4, 2012.

1. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

Lucky son of a-I MEAN congratulations! :) 

• Like Like x 2
  2. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Woohoo! Now to find out whether it's one of the ones with decent sound quality.

3. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

Famicom Disk System just arrived yesterday. Fortuitously, 3D Rally arrived from a separate source the same day. The game is a mix between Rad Racer and Outrun and feels more like a sequel to Rad Racer than Rad Racer II does. It's definitely going to suck up many, many more hours. (But not batteries; I have the AC adapter.)

4. flamepanther

You're lucky to get a disk unit that's still/already working! Do you also have the Famicom 3D System? :D 

5. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop!

Finally got hold of the Guardian Legend. They were NOT kidding about the difficulty.

• Like Like x 2
  6. The Barracuda

The Barracuda Retro, bitches.

Did you get the original add-on or the Sharp 2-in-1 version? I need to get an original Famicom just to have it but it's hard to find one that isn't horribly yellowed. 3D Rally's a fun-ass game; it's on the list of "why wasn't this released in the US?"

I've actually been lucky in my FDS purchases. My Sharp just needed a new belt and every disk has worked so far (except my 1st copy of Dogfight Spirit had Putt Putt Golf copied over it). I mean, Putt Putt Golf's not a bad game, but to boot up a plane-fighting game and get mini-golf is a little jarring.

7. Venixion

Venixion Evil Dust Bunny-con

News Credits:

The Guardian Legend is freaking awesome!

8. Xabungle

Xabungle Well-Known Member

The beginning is the most difficult part of the entire game. You quickly find power ups and weapons that cushion the SHMUP difficulty.
    How about that password system tho?

9. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

I was really lucky to find a working one at a reasonable price. My use of the phrase "reasonable price" should answer whether or not I also have the 3D attachment.

I already had a Famicom so it's the original add-on. My console is horribly yellowed but I don't mind as I prefer it over the original white anyway. And 3-D Rally is extremely fun and since it's mostly in English there's no language barrier.

I half bought the disk system for the novelty since I already had the Famicom and half to play games that weren't released in the States like Wardner (Pyro in US arcades) and 3D Rally. Also, I plan to pick up Doki Doki Panic at some point just as a fun conversation piece.

Yeah, that's the unfortunate thing about purchasing FamDisk games. Because Nintendo used to have kiosks where you could write over your game with another one there's no guarantee that the game is going to match the label. The plus side though is that if you purchase a game that only uses one side of the disk there's a chance that there might be a free bonus game on side B.

10. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Yo, Ding Dong man. Ding Dong. Ding Dong, yo.

From the "holy crap, I had no idea" department...

I just found out that the person who sings the song "Sparking" from Tekken 5 is the same guy who sings the theme songs for Ducktales, Rescue Rangers, and Darkwing Duck
    :jawdropper: 
    I just listened to that song in my car a couple days ago. Freakishly timely.

• Like Like x 1
  11. The Barracuda

The Barracuda Retro, bitches.

For the longest time I thought the official Famicom color scheme was red and cream, but it turns out damn near every one has yellowed to a certain degree. Famicoms are a dime a dozen and some sellers have dozens, all in varying shape. Every so often I take a look on ebay to see what I can find and some of these bad boys look like they've been chewed on by some animal and spit back out.

Well, I figured the seller would've noticed but some guys just flick the game on just to make sure it works and sometimes don't even get past the console name. I do love the double-sided discs that come with bonus games; my Ice Hockey has Pro Wrestling and my Super Mario Bros 2 has Volleyball.

12. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

All the E3 Metroid hype made me start on Zero Mission yesterday. Doesn't seem as well designed as Super, but still really good and the smoother controls are a welcome improvement. Holds up better then the CV games when played on a TV as well IMO.

Should probably make a start on the Prime series at some point as well, need to invest in all the stuff I need to use GC and Wii controllers on PC.

13. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

TIL that that's not the Jets version on the show. Not that I've looked up the extended version I have to say I wish they had used the Jets one.

14. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    Haven't been keeping updated.

Have they mentioned anything about an SNES mini?

15. flamepanther

Not that I heard about. I assume if they mentioned it, the news of it would have exploded, so... I'm gonna say "no."

16. Eric

Eric Dreadnought of Floof

News Credits:
    Just bought myself Pokemon Red off of Gamestop, should be here in a few days. The first Pokemon game I ever played, back in my hands after nearly 20 years. And it's gonna be fun playing it on my Gameboy Player. :D 

Sadly, nothing. :( 

17. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Finally got round to playing the original PCE/TG16 version of Parasol Stars today having only played the ST port back in the day. If anyone hasn't heard of it, it's the actual third game in the Bubble Bobble series (after that and Rainbow Islands) before Taito fucked the numbering up with the NES game and Bubble Symphony.

Didn't think it would hold up as home sequels to arcade games often don't when your not playing the home ports of the originals anymore, but was pleasantly surprised at how good it looked and sounded. Not as good gameplay wise as the previous two, but that's not a major knock on the game as that's a high bar for this flavor of platformer. Totally worth checking out if you like the previous games, although it's probably an arse to get hold of if you only play original copies given the niece nature of Turbo collecting and that it was only ported to other stuff in Europe.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  19. Eric

Eric Dreadnought of Floof

News Credits:
    Reiterating what I said in the SNES Classic thread; aw fuck, here we go again.

Anyway, got Pok√©mon Red in the mail today and WOW I just realized how old I felt when I started playing this. :lol 

20. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Yo, Ding Dong man. Ding Dong. Ding Dong, yo.

I was packing up stuff for moving and pulled these out of a drawer:

[​IMG]

Mega Man Complete Works has a lot of cool stuff in it. Probably my favorite part is the section that has models of every character and Robot Master from every angle; it's neat to see what they look like from behind, because you rarely see it :) 

[​IMG]

This one I picked up from a mall kiosk years ago. It's really comprehensive, as it includes art of every character from each Art of Fighting, Fatal Fury, and King of Fighters game (up until the point it was published), along with a handful of other SNK games like Athena. Naturally, probably 90% of the art in here is by Shinkiro. Really cool to look through, but too bad it's only in Japanese.

• Like Like x 1