Retro Game Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by damian_1349, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop!

Finally got hold of Snes Starfox. This game is much harder than i remember without a targeting Retcile.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    GTA Vice City Playstation 2 Remastered clip. Nicely done.
    Feat. Ray Liotta as T. Vercetti

Last edited: May 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  3. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Yo, Ding Dong man. Ding Dong. Ding Dong, yo.

It's funny to hear this, since to me the Famicom version of the CV III soundtrack just sounds wrong, and I love the NES version. Especially the ghost ship stage; the NES music is fittingly eerie, while the FC music is kind of harsh in comparison.
    Of course, if I grew up with a FC, I'd probably have a different opinion.

It's a shame the music in FC Ninja Gaiden couldn't be replicated on the NES, though. The entire main melody from the first stage had to be removed. The NES music is what I'm used to, but now that I know how it's supposed to sound, it seems incomplete.

4. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Not only that, but even if you have the Famicom cart of Akumajou Densetsu and an adaptor, it still won't sound right on an NES without modding both the NES and the adaptor.

What are you playing them on?

5. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Yo, Ding Dong man. Ding Dong. Ding Dong, yo.

Ah, I'm guessing you're thinking my opinion of the music has been influenced by imperfect emulation.

The NES soundtrack I'm very familiar with since that's what I grew up with and I played the hell out of that game.

I own the "Dracula The Best" soundtrack CD that has the music from all the FC CV games, and I listen to it every once in a while. I always find myself wishing it were the NES versions instead, but that may be the nostalgia talking. But, I never checked if the music on the CD matches the actual console audio output, so my opinion of the FC soundtracks is based solely on the CD.

6. flamepanther

Not thinking so much as wondering. The thought had crossed my mind, but I wasn't going to assume. The FC version sounds better to me, but what sounds "right" is totally subjective.

I haven't listened to that album (I've always gravitated toward the "Dracula Battle Perfect Selection" albums) to compare it to the actual Famicom output, so I have no idea how accurate it is. Even if it's not accurate, there's no guarantee you'd like the FC sound any better. I was just curious.

We totally got the better Castlevania II soundtrack though ;) 

7. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

Depends which one you spent more time playing I guess.

I remember playing CV II in English but on a famicom. A friend had the famicom cart. I also remember playing famicom Contra in English but it was all wrong. Missing a lot of details I mentioned. There were too many iffy carts around being in asia and all but what I know for sure is that original early konami famicom carts had a hole on the left side.

[​IMG]

8. flamepanther

Well, I spent more time playing the US version of CVIII, and I still think the Famicom version sounds better ;) 

I don't know about the FC cart version of CVII, but it was originally a Disk System game. If there was a JP cart version, then it would have been a conversion back from the US release, sorta like the Famicom cart version of the original Legend of Zelda. The US version lost the ability to save (replaced with password) but took advantage of the cart format to add PCM samples to the music. It's one of two examples I can think of offhand where a soundtrack got improved instead of downgraded when it was converted from disk to cart. The other example would be Doki Doki Panic, which was improved in virtually every other way as well.

I've seen pirate Famicom carts of Contra before (own one, actually) and they all seem to use the neutered US version. That would make a lot of sense, as it uses a standard mapper instead of the custom chip Konami used in the Japanese version.

9. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

I remember pirated famicom discs as well. This game centre had tons of them. So did the super famicom. It was early 92' before I moved to Canada. Not sure if it was a pirated disc system drive but man it was cool.

10. flamepanther

Pirated FDS games can be fairly tough to identify too, since you could buy blank disks from Nintendo and pay to legally rewrite the disk with a different game. How do you spot the difference between a DiskWriter game and an official disk with a pirate game on it? **Scratches head**

Disks for SFC were definitely not legit though! I still have one of those backup units :D 

That said, SFC did have official flashcarts. I know of two types. There were Satellaview memory carts for holding downloaded games, and there were "Nintendo Power" carts that basically replaced the DiskWriter kiosk service.

11. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    I still have a European PAL modell of the first Mega Drive to sell, if you're interested in that. I never got the time so far to put it on eBay yet. It's working, I just replaced it with an Asian PAL Mega Drive, because I prefer the look of the Japanese model. This way I can have both, the looks and still being able to play my European games :)  Also it's connected to an Australian PAL Mega CD which looks basically like the Japanese model as well :D 

At the weekend I tried something cool I never knew I could do with my Memor32 memory card. I installed Free McBoot to two PS2 Memory Cards (one for me and one for my friend who dug up his old PS2 console as well) and now we can play all sorts of things on our PS2 without modding it. We even played Super Nintendo on it :D  sadly some games don't work so well, like Starwing or Donkey Kong Country.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  12. flamepanther

I appreciate the offer, but I'm in NTSC Land :D 
    It looks like I'm going with the US model 2 VA4 for normal use. The bass isn't as powerful, but it's good enough--much better than the earlier model 2 revisions. I'll probably keep the model 1 VA2 around though.
    If you've got a "fat" model PS2 and a broadband adaptor, you can put all your games on a hard drive (if you're not doing that already) :D 

13. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    No, I've got the Slim model. I like slim models :D 

I would also love to have a Genesis 2. I like how it's all black. But so far I think I already have enough Mega Drives. I have a Multi Mega in the living room and the 2 other Mega Drives I mentioned in my bedroom, time to get rid of one :lol 

And I have a LOT controllers... I spend a lot of time and money until I had ones that felt and looked right. Also I decided halfway that I also rather wanted to have the ones with the blue start button instead of the ones with the grey start button :lol 

By the way: with Free McBoot I have installed Open Loader on the card as well, with that you can even load isos from Samba shares, like my NAS for example. Pretty cool.

14. flamepanther

I want pictures! :D 
    OPL is awesome! But some games don't work very well over the network or USB. I installed a 1TB drive in mine so that I don't have to worry about it :lol 

15. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    Do you have the fat model? I read something about a way to install hard disks into the slim version as well, but I'm not sure I wanna do that. I like that it's still like it was.

16. flamepanther

I do, and while I haven't soldered anything onto it, it is definitely not "like it was." :lol 
    I have a flip-top case installed on it for using PS1 swap discs, and I physically modified the broadband adaptor to incorporate a IDE/SATA adaptor (which required removing the dial-up modem board). It barely looks any different though.
    Yeah, there's a way. But it involves installing a custom case that's almost as big as the fat PS2, as well as doing a shit-ton of soldering on the motherboard. I don't think you'd wanna go that route! :lol 

17. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

My copy of Snowboard Kids 2 arrived in the mail today. Did take a bit longer to arrive from May 14.

I ordered Ogre Battle 64 on May 21. Should be here on the 25th or the 26th

These are the final 11 games I'm buying for the N64:

Dr. Mario 64
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
    Rampage World Tour
    Rampage 2: Universal Tour
    Star Wars Episode 1: Battle for Naboo
    Goemon's Great Adventure
    Mystical Ninja starring Goemon
    Mega Man 64
    Banjo-Tooie
    Gauntlet Legends
    Snowboard Kids

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  18. flamepanther

Great list of games there!

19. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Pure Passion

News Credits:
    Been playing the Sonic CD Ios port.
    I can't get past the third Zone of Stardust Speedway, but the game is fun.

Gotta go fast, fast to the past!

20. flamepanther

Maybe you already know this, but Sonic Mania will be using that same game engine! :D 

The "new" Android and iOS ports of Sonic 1 & 2 are using that engine as well. I really wish Sega would bring those to other platforms and give the green light for Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

• Like Like x 1