Retro Game Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by damian_1349, Apr 4, 2012.

1. convoy84

convoy84 misses you like the deserts miss the rain.

News Credits:
    BTW, now that I've established my collection proper, can anyone recommend me some good NES arcade ports/multiplayer games?

2. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Unlikeable dry-skinned biped

Cooperative multiplayer arcade ports off the top of my head...

Contra
    Super C
    Rush'n Attack
    TMNT 2
    Double Dragon 2 & 3
    Gauntlet

Edit:
    Bubble Bobble
    Jackal
    Mario Bros

3. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop!

River city Ransom

Rolling Thunder

Klax

4. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

Starting to drop. That should not be confused with getting cheap. They're never going to be cheap again.

5. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

lets see, if i remember correctly, ebay has Magical Chase for $99,999.99 and the current price is now...

*12 seconds later* $99,999.99.

...damn.

lets check amazon, i remember it is a lot cheaper but still expensive $1,999.

currently it says: *12 seconds later* "Currently unavailable. We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."

...o.o

...yeeeep...

6. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    Don't get me started on clone systems...

7. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I take it you don't like them.

8. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    Maybe it's the price to pay for being mass manufactured nowadays, but most of them are really cheap in my opinion. Some are even more expensive than their official counterparts. (Depending where you look)

The color ratio is also off on certain games too. So, yes, I just perfer the originals. (Unless it's a clone of an expensive console, I.E. NEO-GEO, TG-16, etc)

9. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
  10. flamepanther

I could agree with all of that. The ones that are really cost effective are the ones that mimic multiple consoles. A Retron 3 or Retro Trio might cost more than a Sega Genesis, but they cost less than a Sega Genesis, an NES, and a SNES. I got a Retro Duo some years back to use while I had limited space and needed to keep most of my consoles in storage. Now that I have more space, the Duo mostly gets lent out to friends while I use the real consoles at home. It all just depends on each person's needs and how much they're concerned about accuracy. As long as people are aware of what the caveats are, I have no issue.

11. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have a retron 5 but I still prefer playing all the games on their native systems if possible. I like the interface, save states, and perks on the R5 but I dunno the games still look cleaner to me on the native systems and a good CRT. Plus as we discussed a few pages back the whole mental issue of playing a ripped rom vs the cart itself could put off some OCD people, I know it bugs me sometimes.

That being said I preordered mine before amazon did a black friday promo and ended up getting it for around $70 shipped. So I mean there is no other device on the market that will let you preserve save states from battery backup games, put them on a SD media, and flash them back to the cart after you change out a battery. For that alone, the R5 is worth what I paid (to me).

12. flamepanther

It only bothers me because Hyperkin initially went out of their way to imply that the system ran games directly on clone hardware. Apart from that, it wouldn't bother me--I just don't have a need when I've got a PC hooked up to my TV.

13. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Have stuff to do, but then I got sucked into to another run at Buck Rogers on Mega Drive. Spend 2 hours today getting in bar fights and pirating scout ships to get tooled up strait away in the vain hope that it'll enable me to knock the rest of the game off quicker.

Gawd help my life if anyone ever makes an expanded modern clone of it.

14. flamepanther

I've never played the game, so until you mentioned scout ships, I thought you were going off on an unrelated tangent ;) 

15. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

LOL, if only it had Blackjack as well.

Its a criminally overlooked game IMO. Basically a streamlined console semi-remake of a late 80s style CRPG, so you get the good stuff of those with a much more playable interface and less stat redundancy. It being a space opera rather then yet another fantasy game is a massive bonus for me as well since I don't get many RPGs that actually appeal to me in terms of story genre.

16. flamepanther

What you described before sounds a lot like Megatraveler. I'll put it on my list of hidden gems to check out :) 

17. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

Well it turns out I'm a hypocrate. I ranted at length earlier in this thread about how I didn't like RPGs in video games, preferring a more action oriented experience, similar to the original Legend of Zelda. But when I was at Comic Con this Friday I picked up Dragon Warrior for NES. I am enjoying it, but it did remind me why I prefer a more interactive game. I also got Ninja Gaiden, Excite bike and Star Tropics.

18. flamepanther

Growth is not hypocritical :) 

19. The Barracuda

The Barracuda Retro, bitches.

Well to be fair, Dragon Warrior is pretty primitive by RPG standards nowadays. That old-school grinding can be tough. I like RPGs but I know they're not for everyone; of course a lot of people too easily dismiss an incredible experience with a lot of awesome games.

I don't mind little RPG elements sprinkled into games if they're not intrusive like leveling up.

And Ninja Gaiden, Excitebike and StarTropics are awesome games. If anyone asks me what's a good, relatively cheap and chronically overlooked NES game, my go-to answer is usually StarTropics.

20. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

I love me some Dragon Warrior and it's sitting proudly on my shelf, but there is no way that I'm playing those games anymore on anything but emulation with save states. I don't have the two hours to trudge back from the castle every time I play the game.

(Currently playing DW3 on my lunch breaks.)