Retro Game Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by damian_1349, Apr 4, 2012.

1. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Clone systems can be a good way to play real cartridges affordably, or to save cabinet space compared to having multiple systems. Just be aware that any of them will have small issues with color accuracy on NES and sound accuracy on NES and Genesis. If you don't need it to be perfect, then there's nothing wrong with going that route.

2. Cracka J

Cracka J having an opinion is OK! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    adding to that, aside from some expensive converters and cables, nothing really beats how the retron 5 looks on a lcd tv. it makes those old games look so perfect and clear. and games with battery backups that have gone bad are a non issue since you can use the on board or sd memory inside the retron, and transfer those saves to the cart if you ever get the battery fixed.

depending on your tv though you will tend to experience some lag in these old games (the gameplay was so tight on most of them you needed 0 lag and precise controls so anything addition will be noticable), and that is really the big downside of playing on the R5. if you have a good gaming tv though you should be ok for the most part. so just don't expect to plug the R5 into a vizio and have the best retro gaming experience.

3. flamepanther

Regarding the Retron 5, I think people should just be aware that it's actually an ARM-based computer running a rebranded version of RetroArch. It dumps your cartridge to a temporary ROM file, loads the file in one of the same emulators you'd use on your PC, and then deletes the file when you're done playing. If you don't mind that, and if it doesn't bother you that RetroArch doesn't approve of Hyperkin using their software without acknowledgement, then it's a good piece of hardware. If it's important to you to run directly off the cartridge, or if you already have a PC/OUYA/Android TV/hacked game console/etc. that's capable of running these same emulators on your TV, then the Retron 5 might be redundant to you. Just so people are aware.

Over a digital source like HDMI, lag is introduced by the image processing features of modern TVs (dynamic contrast enhancement, digital noise reduction, frame rate smoothing, etc.). You can usually get rid of the lag by turning these off. Even most Vizio TVs have a "game" mode that turns off all those features at once. In game mode, I can happily plug away at Ninja Gaiden or MegaMan 2 on my Nt without any issue from my Vizio. Retron 5 shouldn't be any worse off.

Now, if you're using an analog source (like YPbPr component, s-video, composite video, or RF via coaxial cable) there can also be lag from the TV's analog-to-digital conversion process. There's very little that can be done about this other than buying an expensive upscaler that can convert to digital faster than your TV does.

4. Cracka J

News Credits:
    I usually use displaylag.com to see what the modern stuff is running at. My vizio is from 2009 or so and while it has a game mode, it's still trash for running games. I've heard samsung is close to the same deal.

I wish I could get less lag as it's still a decent tv but I do have to face the inevitable upgrade eventually. I'll probably still keep it for a rec room when we have a house.

And yeah I was gonna mention the ROM dump thing but I dunno you still get the nostalgia of plugging the cart in, and it does read the cart to some degree so maybe some people are ok with that :lol  I don't have that much time to spend in front of the tv anymore so I usually get my retro game on with the RDP 2.0. It's really nice for getting some games in before bed, or on the go. Only real drawback to that thing is playing genesis or nes games and having to create towers with stacking games on the converters.

5. flamepanther

Good point. More recent LCDs are typically not too bad, but I forget that it was pretty hit-or-miss until a few years ago.

6. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Ayatollah of Roggenrola

Thanks for the input guys.

After doing more research, I decided I'd rather have a Retron 5 than a Super Retro Trio. I like the GB compatibility, and you have to buy an adapter for the Trio to do that that overall makes the price comparable to the Retron 5. I also like to have the save states.

Also been reading about the Retro Freak, which has TG-16/PC Engine compatibility, but doesn't play NES games and seems more expensive.

Funny that you mention a Vizio, Cracka, because that's just what I got for my game room :D 
    I bought an LG first, but I hadn't done any research and it turns out you can't turn off that annoying local dimming on LGs. So I did the research and Vizios were actually highly rated for gaming. So far input lag seems negligible in game mode. Maybe I'll just take a chance on the Retron 5 and hope the lag isn't too bad for my taste. Reviews say the lag isn't that bad as long as you have a low-lag TV.

7. flamepanther

I read that it just needs an adaptor, but I don't know if that's correct.

8. UndertakerPrime

Yes you're right, didn't see that until after I wrote my post. Would probably make it too expensive, even though I would love the ability to play PC-Engine games (mainly so I could play Rondo of Blood, which I've never played)

9. flamepanther

It looks like you can get an adaptor for about $13 on eBay.
    Does it run CD-based games? I mean, the emulators it's using do, but are people hooking up USB CD-ROM drives or transferring ISO images to it, or what?

10. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

If you want to play Rondo of Blood you can get it on the PSP.

11. flamepanther

Or Wii VirtualConsole, if you don't mind that it's still in Japanese.

12. UndertakerPrime

Good question about the CD based games, I'll have to do more research. Chalk it up to my inexperience with the TG-16 and PCE, I never owned either one and only saw the TG-16 in person once at someone else's house.

I know Rondo of Blood is available on PSP, but I don't own one and I'm not buying one for just one game. I didn't know it was on Virtual Console but I sold my Wii 2 years ago and do not own any current Nintendo systems. I used to love their products but things like the Wii U and 3DS hold no interest for me.

13. Cracka J

News Credits:
    TG16 is a great system if you can pick one up on the cheap.

Unfortunately "cheap" and "TG16" usually don't go in the same sentence these days.

Maybe gamestop retro will start carrying cards one day :D  One can dream.

14. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

Little late to the party but rule of thumb is that you can't go wrong with games released by Nintendo, Capcom or Konami (and subsidiary Ultra). Tecmo is good (though the Ninja Gaiden games are difficult). Avoid anything by Acclaim/LJN. Data East is hit or miss, but mostly miss. If it's made by a publisher you've never heard of, there's probably a reason you've never heard of them again.

I've noticed that it's a down swing in the past year or so. I think it's been priced out of the market for so long and with all the interest swung towards the NES and SNES, the demand just hasn't been there.

15. The Barracuda

The Barracuda Retro, bitches.

Yeah, I picked it up on the Virtual Console and it's pretty much presented in it's full Japanese form.

Konami, Sunsoft, Capcom and Hudson were some of the best third parties for the NES. Can rarely go wrong with those publishers (rarely; there's always a few stinkers in everyone's catalog).

You mean...TG-16 games are going DOWN in price?? That would be amazing.

16. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

question.

i can connect a sega saturn via A/V, a ps1 and n64 via RF switch to a 1080p tv and not have any trouble, right?

i had to open those system to get rid of a roach problem and i'm moving them from the living room to my bedroom.

17. convoy84

convoy84 misses you like the deserts miss the rain.

News Credits:
    Started my NES hunt using your recommendations, picking up Blaster Master, Simon's Quest, and Faxanadu at a comic shop. One thrift shop I stopped into had Silent Service for $2 (looked up gameplay, looked boring) and another had Zelda in the box for $22 (passed, but I'll be back shortly to get it-can't have an NES without Zelda!).

18. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Admittedly, I don't have 5. I really, really want to, though... Anyone trading one for some TFs? :) 

19. Mark

Mark Just here for the toys

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    Seems like I'm not the only one who thinks that Visio's suck.

20. UndertakerPrime

Some swag from today...

My FFX-2 signed by Tara Strong (voice of Rikku). BTW, she is gorgeous and absolutely STACKED in person :p 
    Thought about getting FFX signed instead, but Rikku's not on the cover.
    [​IMG]

Mass Effect 3 Collector's Edition signed by Jennifer Hale (voice of Femshep). Also got an answer to a question that's been bugging me for a while: why Naomi Hunter and Mei Ling lost their accents over the course of the Metal Gear Solid series. I asked Paul Eiding a few years ago and he didn't know. Jennifer, who voiced Naomi, said that decision came directly from Kojima. Only he would know why :( 
    [​IMG]

Also got some great stuff for my gaming area. I'll be sure to share pics once I get them framed...