Retro Game Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by damian_1349, Apr 4, 2012.

1. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

just when i thought i was finished with buying games for the original Xbox, this popped into my brain.

Star Wars Republic Commando
    Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
    Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords

i've seen the KOTOR games have good reviews and i know nothing on SWRC.

who can vouch for on how fun are these games?

i recently discovered that i can have fun playing any genre of games.

2. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Unlikeable dry-skinned biped

I've never played Republic Commando, but I love the KOTOR games, the first one especially. The battle system is kinda like FFXII but with more direct control. You can sit back and watch the battle play out, or you can pause the battle and micromanage; I've always appreciated the flexibility that gives you. It took me a little bit to get used to the D&D dice-roll style of battle probability. The stories are great, although the last parts of KOTOR 2 had to be cut down due to the developer running out of money (IIRC). And they have the awesome droid HK-47!
    Bottom line is, once you get used to them, you'll be addicted.

3. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

KOTOR is awesome. Its the last legitimately great Star Wars game to date, a good RPG in its own right and its interesting as one of the transitional games between traditional CRPGs and modern WRPGs.

KOTOR2 is an awkward case. Lucasarts pulled the plug on development when it was only about 75% done because they wanted it on the shelves for that Christmas, which means its a blatantly unfinished game with a load of gaps in its story. Having said that, its has really interesting writing that subverts and questions the Star Wars formula instead of just going along with it like the first game. Had it been properly finished I probably would have liked it more then the first, but I still don't think it would have gone down as well with the wider audience.

That's not all though, allot of the unfinished stuff that got cut was still in the resources files and folks on the internet completed everything they could and modded it back into the PC version. If your playing for the first time, you'd be much better off getting it on Steam and using the mod then playing the original release version on either platform.

Not played Republic Commando, although general opinion on it is positive.

4. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  5. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    segas retro 3d stuff on the 3ds is no joke either. I have afterburner and outrun and those are amazing. with the extra 20% off amazon is offering for preorders with prime, I think I will get that.

6. MetalRyde

gimmegimmegimme!!!

7. UndertakerPrime

Since my GB Mega Man pic seemed to be well received, I finally got a chance to show off the main series MM games, plus the instruction booklets I have (I don't have instructions for 2-4). I bought MM9 and 10 over PSN so I own all the main series. I love me some Mega Man!

I was going to snap my MMX collection as well, but my phone died so that will have to wait for another day. I don't own all the X games anyway (lost interest after MMX5).

[​IMG]

8. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Very nice - I'd love to get my hands on a Mega Man 5 right now. Love these games, as frustrating as they can be! :) 

9. UndertakerPrime

MM5 is actually my second favorite in the series after 2. I think it's probably the most underrated of all the main series.

10. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    And priced so darn high... :( 

11. Cracka J

News Credits:
    free was a pretty good price for my MM5. actually come to think of it, I didn't buy any of the nes MM's in my collection. 3,5 & 6 were given to me from my brother in law, and 2 was an awesome gift from a board member who I helped test out all his older games were in working order.

so considering all I have left to buy is 1 and 4, even though expensive it's not that bad to complete the set.

eventually.

12. MetalRyde

got Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue for the N64 today. i don't expect much from it so i might enjoy it.

i got Pokémon Puzzle League coming in the mail soon. 20 remaining N64 games left to collect.

13. MetalRyde

oh god, PRLSR on N64 is so bad that it is funny! :lol 

graphically it is bad but just because it is on the N64 doesn't mean it can't have good graphics. there are lots of games on the N64 that look awesome.

the rangers run slow and their motions are robotic.

there are parts where you get to use a ranger's vehicle. and then MEGAZORD action!!!

...the Megazord looks like it is made out of mega blocks. 0 articulation, you fight monsters in first person view.

the saving grace is the instrumental version of the Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue theme song sounds awesome.

power on its waaaaayy
    rangers save the daaaaayy

but can't save this game. :lol 

14. Xabungle

Xabungle Well-Known Member

Are there any good Power Ranger games? I have the Sega Genesis MMPR game, and the GameCube Dinothunder game. I've not played much of either, as they're not great. The better of the two by a large margin is clearly DinoThunder, but I wouldn't say it's good; it's... not bad. That's all.

Genesis MMPR came via a lot that my step brother came across, and gave to me. DinoThunder I bought while working at GameStop, because it was less than 5 bucks with employee discount.

15. MetalRyde

i think the first one MMPR on SNES was good. you get to control the Megazord against Mutitus and Cyclopsis.

i looked up gameplay video of the ps1 version of PRLSR. looks waaaaaaay better than N64 version. the megazords are better detailed.

16. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

This paragraph should be an inspiration to those who want to revitalize the arcade scene.

I wonder what kind of game this would be at this point.

17. Cracka J

News Credits:
    I think all the snes ones were solid. Even a kart racer of some kind I remember being decent. One was a sf2 clone as well, and actually wasn't bad either. So yeah I'd shoot for the snes mmpr games if you need a decent mmpr game.

Picked up a couple nice things recently, still on their way shipping. Boxed empire strikes back and return of the jedi for snes. Empire is still sealed, but had a couple tears in the seal. Which doesn't matter to me since it's getting opened anyway. Jedi was just opened/complete in box. So that completes my snes star wars trilogy. Also they aren't the shitty majesco mexican prints. Made sure they are the made in JP copies.

Picked up xardion for snes as well. Not a very memorable game for most, but had big robots and I remember digging it when I first got my snes as a kid.

Think all that is really left on my want list for snes is:
    Mario RPG
    Contra 3
    Super Punch Out
    Super G&G
    Batman Returns
    Maximum Carnage
    UN Squadron

I'm sitting on about 60 snes games atm, and having those above would probably kill all my wants. I'm not going for the completionist titles or the blockbuster exclusives like hagane (it would be nice...but unlikely), so I will probably cap my collection there with the titles I loved.

Beefing up the NES collection comes next. I'm sitting around 30 titles right now and there are still A LOT I remember wanting from my childhood. At least the NES retro market is relatively cheaper than most SNES titles run.

Also, I'd like to see more pics of people's collections (and would like to post more of mine too!). Should we use that older thread with all the pics in it or should we just start posting them here since this is the active one now. Doesn't matter to me just wanted to know if anyone cared?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  18. MetalRyde

Pokémon Puzzle League for the N64 and Serious Sam for the original Xbox arrived today.

the first pokémon game was not the GB series. it was Pokémon Snap and was fun. then i got Red and became a official fan of the Pokémon Franchise.

i saw Pokémon Puzzle League at the middle of the life-span of the N64, at first i thought ''a tetris clone. pass.'' it wasn't until a couple of years ago that i watched gameplay of the game and was interested.

the other game, Serious Sam, was a game i first saw in a review on G4 during Gen 6 .

in that review, i saw the hilarious cutscenes and one part had a line with sam saying "man, its so cold, my nipples are like pencil erasers".

i plan to play them this friday or saturday. just need to choose which first. coin toss time.

19. UndertakerPrime

I never played it myself, but I heard Pokemon Puzzle League was actually pretty good.

If you don't have it yet, I would recommend Tetrisphere. I was addicted to that for a while in the late '90s.

20. Nemesis Prime I

Nemesis Prime I Nemesis Prime Transforms!

I grow up player NES Popeye was my first time. I enjoying playing Nintendo games with my uncle in my grandmother house back in 1990's.

[​IMG]