Minor/Repaint: Restoring and Fixing up some old customs

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by MagnusWave931, May 22, 2021.

?

T.R Override is finished, which unfinished custom should I work on next?

1. Leozack (Power of the Primes Starscream)

24 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Jallguar or G2 Beachcomber (Power of the Primes Beachcomber)

12 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. MagnusWave931

MagnusWave931 Loving this Track right now

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Completed Projects

Project 1: Titans Return Botcon Overide (Page 1)
    Project 2: Potp Jallguar (Page 2)
    Project 3: GoBots Pathfinder (Page 2)
    Project 4: Potp Hydra (Page 2)

An Introduction:

A hello to everyone, it's been awhile since I posted anything new for a variety of reasons with one reason being my interest in Gunpla being expanded on during the Pandemic (I'd been into Gundam for a bit, mostly the model kit's not the actual series), but that's besides the point. The point being is that thanks to the new skills I gained from painting Gunpla for the past year or so, I decided to go back and fix a few old and unfinished customs. I've had a few new custom T.F's in mind, but before I start on something new, I wanted to finish up some others.

There are 4-5 customs that over the years, I started and never finished for one reason or another including but not limited to: Project not going right, not liking how it's turning out, other ideas more interesting to do, a lack of interest, and a couple others, but you get the point. I also have provided a sneak preview photo of the first one I'm working on.

With out further ado, welcome to the Restoring and Finishing old customs thread!
    (Title still a work in progress.)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
    • Like Like x 11
  2. MagnusWave931

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    The first custom I decided to go back to was not only the oldest of the bunch, but by far the hardest one to fix up, that custom being Titans Return Override (or Nitro Convoy if you prefer.)
    So the story of this fellow dates back to the year 2018, at this point in time I had only started making custom somewhat professionally around summertime of 2017 and after hearing and seeing the canceled ideas from Botcon 2017? set with a mock up of Cybertron Override from Titans Return Blurr, I knew I wanted to make this custom.
    Custom Override Reference.jpg

After a while things weren't working out great and other, more exciting projects started popping up so I abandoned the project for the most part, with occasional work done here or there. Cut to 2021, nearly 4 years after I started working on this project that I decided to go back and finish it up. The first thing to do was to find all the bits that went to it and then remove the old paint. Back in the day, I thought Primer was optional and then wondered why the paint would flake off after awhile, go figure right? So currently what I have done so far is the first stage of sanding the old paint off 85% the parts, with the remaining 15% being parts I feel just need some touch ups. The goal of this project is to finally finish it, but also, while using the reference of the canceled Botcon render, add my own elements to the design/paint job. Currently the parts I sanded are drying off before round 2 of sanding begins, any tips and tricks are always appreciated.

Thanks for Looking and Stay Safe out There.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 16
  3. MagnusWave931

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Quick update on Override: All the sanding has been completed (for now at least), primed 85-90% of the parts, and spray painted about 55% of them.

I'll try to keep this thread updated some what regularly to the best of my abilities. Thanks for Looking.

• Like Like x 1
  4. MagnusWave931

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Here's another update to Override: all the base spray painting is completed, although a few parts had to be re-sanded and re-painted because they didn't come out too good (Over spray, a few small bubbles, etc.)

As for the hand painting, down below is all the parts that are completed and that will receive a matte top coat at some stage.

IMG_4322[1].JPG

Currently, there are around 9 or so pieces left to paint which are the torso, legs, and a few other misc parts like the titan master face for example. I'm saving the shield for last mainly because of the small details that I want to apply, so I'm gonna take my time on that piece. Stay tuned for the final figure and I hope you enjoy these updates. Thanks for Reading.

• Like Like x 10
  5. BattleGurijiba

BattleGurijiba One Radical Dudicus

Nice. Posting so I can follow along.

6. MagnusWave931

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Hello again everyone, so after 3 and 1/2 years from when I first started this project, it's finally completed. So here is, my version, of Titans return Override with Headmaster partner Lori. IMG_4324[1].JPG

This was a fun project to go back and finally finish for the most part (sanding off a bunch off old paint is kinda tedious you see). Anyway here are the pictures of the robot mode for both the body and headmaster, along with a comparison to the original Cybertron Override. As stated before, this goal was to not only finally finish the project and to make this un-used concept a thing, but to make my own spin on it, in this case aiming for more toy accuracy. This custom isn't perfect by a long shot but I'm overall quite happy with it. Vehicle mode pictures should be uploaded sometime this week, I want the paint to settle a bit before doing the transformation. I also put an autobot sticker on the hood/shield for the sake of showing off which faction she's apart of and also it's the smallest symbol sticker I have left.

As for the next project, I'll probably put a poll up discussing which to old custom to finish next, but I do plan on taking a break since I worked on this bot for almost a full week in my off time.

Any comments, questions, and critiques are always welcomed, Thanks for looking and Stay safe out there!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 14
  7. MagnusWave931

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Here's Override's alt mode pics. Alt mode came out decent all things considered, although I did notice some small paint flakes and tolerance issues on 1 or 2 parts, which I'm okay with as I typically don't transform my customs after the first transformation to alt mode in fear of more paint scrapping off. Anyway, I hope everyone found this project somewhat interesting.

IMG_4330[1].JPG

I did add a poll to this thread and whoever wins, will be the next old and unfinished custom I will work on next, (after the small break I'm taking from customizing robots.) One of the choices has two answers to it, if you vote for option 2, post which of the two would be better to work on. As always questions and critique are welcomed, thanks for reading.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 15
  8. BattleGurijiba

Voted Leozack. Override looks fantastic. Cool how the vehicle mode looks so different from the original, while the bot mode is spot on. (Not a bad thing, the vehicle mode looks awesome.)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lunatic Prime

Lunatic Prime Former Prime and light piping fetishist

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Really nice work so far :thumbs2: 
    The paint looks just a little bit thick in some areas.
    Will you paint the face gold?

• Like Like x 1
  10. MagnusWave931

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Going for more of an Orange face which the toy has compared to the show's gold face. That being said, at some point I do want to get the shapeways titan master override face plate. If I get that, I'll paint that one up in show colors.
    Thanks for the critique.

• Like Like x 2
  11. BattleGurijiba

You could refer to that one as Nitro and keep calling the other one Lori.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I really like this. It's a shame Hasbro didn't make this one.

• Like Like x 2
  13. MagnusWave931

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Hello again,

According to the votes, Leozack won the poll by 3 votes. So next project for me to fix up will be Potp Leozack from Power of the Primes Starscream.

Stay tuned for more updates, thanks for voting, and thanks for reading.

• Like Like x 2
  14. MagnusWave931

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    So it's been a while hasn't it? Well I'm here for an update regarding this project of mine.

1st: Thanks again to people who voted, but unfortunately Leozack is on the back burner. Main reasons being: a few key parts broke off the figure, kinda ruined the chest, and most importantly, when trying to remove the old stickers the wing tips melted a bit. So yeah, suffice to say that he won't being happening for a long while.

2nd: That being said option 2, Jallguar/G2 beachcomber from Potp Beachcomber will be the next old unfinished custom to be completed. As to which one I'll be doing...

3rd: Jallguar will be the one I'm working on. I wanted to do G2 Beachcomber a bit more at first, especially since I've seen a few people do Jallguar from Potp Beachcomber already, but I already modified the chest already so Jallguar it is.

That's all the updates for now, but you don't have to wait too long as I've been working on Jallguar on and off for the past month now and needs a bit more time till he's finished.
    Thanks again for the support, feedback, and critiques. Stay tuned.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Lunatic Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What did you do/use to remove the stickers?

• Like Like x 1
  16. MagnusWave931

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    So here's what I used on the 2nd attempt to remove the stickers. The first attempt was peeling them off which left residue. I will say this stuff works ok nothing special, but the danger in and what ends up melting the parts, is if you leave it sitting for more than 2 minutes, then the plastic will start to melt.

IMG_4613[1].JPG

• Like Like x 2
  17. MagnusWave931

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    So while Leozack is in custom backlog limbo, I'd figure I should work on his best mate Jalljuar, or Jarugar if you prefer. So as for the backstory on this one and why I abandoned it, it's somewhat like with Override where I didn't like how the project was turning out and other ideas that were more appealing came up, leaving Jallguar in the custom backlog limbo. So when this idea/quest of mine to get my backlog finished, this was one of this one's I immediately thought of. And here he is!

IMG_4597[1].JPG

Yeah...not my finest work. Air Bubbles everywhere, scuffed up paint, a poor attempt to remold his chest with apoxie, and sloppy hand paint are the main issues with this fella. So the goal here is to try and homage not only the original G1 Figure but to take some aspects of the anime version as well. With this box art picture, from the TFWiki, as one of my references.

IMG_E4614[1].JPG

Also, I do know that other's have done this custom before, but this is my take on it. Also, I started this I believe late 2018 early 2019, so an almost 3 year old project, so let's see if I can bring this idea and concept some justice. Stay Tuned and Thanks for Reading.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
  18. Lunatic Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Even the carrier element itself :p 

• Like Like x 1
  19. MagnusWave931

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    So here's an update on Jallguar, in this segment I would like to call:

Sanding and Pla Plating

So the first thing to do was to try and remove as much paint as I could because you know, no primer + horrible paint applications. Mind you I'm never going to be it 100% off but I tried my best to get a lot of the worst and mediocre areas.

IMG_4599[1].JPG

Here's was the first stage of sanding I did a good few weeks a go, (I don't have a picture of stage 2 but I did sand a lot more off.) Also side note, the only things I won't be painting are the tires and hubcaps because I feel there fine as is.

And now we move on to Pla Plating, or plastic plating, which is a method mainly used on Model Kits such as Gundam kits to add extra detail, height, etc to a figure. I tried this method on Transformers with my Custom Gutcruncher and it seemed to work fine so let's try it here.

IMG_4600[1].JPG

So here's the main areas I wanted to cover: The Chest and Feet. The chest I already tried and failed to remold with apoxie to approximate his Breast Master gimmick so I added three plates to it and hoped for the best. As for the feet, not pictured here, I removed the headlight assembly to make his distinct from Beachcomber and to give him a bit more accuracy, so I made two small plates to cover the gaps left by them. (You'll see what I mean when we get to the painting phase.)

So that's another update on this adventure of mine. Stay tuned for more updates, critiques and questions are welcomed, and Thanks for Reading.

• Like Like x 4
  20. MagnusWave931

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Welcome back to another episode in the Jallguar saga, this time around we'll be covering:

Missile Rack and Painting Phase 1

To start with the missile rack + rockets combo, I spent a long while trying to think of what to use for them.I ended up rummaging through a bin a random figures and found my old Worlds Smallest Fortress Maximus KO that seen better days so I used his two shin guns for both the missile rack and rockets.

IMG_4610[1].JPG

As you see, at some stage I painted the top of the guns very sloppy with either silver sharpie or paint, either way I had to remove the paint. Once that was done, I sanded one side of both them down and glued them together to form the big gun. (I''ll save for how it came out for the next post.)

For painting stage 1 I primed the parts that will be primarily white with a white primer and some of the black parts, while the other half of the parts painted black were to be using a grey primer. That changed when I discovered that the grey primer was a bot clogged up and as a result had some paint chunks spray on the parts. So after sanding down the one or two affected parts I ended up using white primer for the rest of the project. After that, I used Rustoleum Matte Black and White for the base colors. Here's how it came out:

IMG_4608[1].JPG

Also at this stage I had already did some masking on a few parts so I can paint select areas in the proper colors, such as the for arms, front of the legs, etc. I also got to work painting the chest to replicate the sticker details on the G1 Figure.

That will be all for now, tune in soon as the project is getting towards the finish line. As a side note, this project spans around 2-3 Weeks worth of work which is why the post's are quite frequent as of late. Anyway, Thanks for reading and as always, critiques and questions are welcomed.

• Like Like x 5