Restore my faith in Transformers, please!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Bathawk, May 31, 2009.

1. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

2. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You nailed it.
    Tell me about it. When Animated Shockwave was revealed and I said I didn't like it, the responses were so vicious the mods had to edit a bunch of posts. Chalk it up to people taking things a bit too seriously, and revel in the fact that your life is in a bit more in balance than theirs. :lol 

3. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Don't think comics have been mentioned yet.

4. Beanshi

Beanshi 22nd Century Robocat

well, maybe this would be a good time for you to take another break?
    Save up just a tad of money, and then when Universe/classic is used again as a "line Filler" then you can jump back in.

but then again what do i know, i enjoyed Robert Downey jr. in Tropic Thunder :D 

5. ginrai

ginrai lost with no way home.

I know exactly how you feel. I've been a transformers fan since I was 2, for 22 years I've played with and bought transformers, Used,and new, in beaten condition and in new condition.. I've got Sheets, curtains, pillow cases, footy pajamas, a voice changer and a cookie jar.. I wrote letters to hasbro when they ended the line in 1990. and begged for optimus prime for Christmas when he came out again in 1992.. I stuck by the line during the Kenner years.. the beast Machines years and the Japanese anime years.. even though I didn't particularly like the products... and hated 4 of the 6 shows during that time..

But I've become even more disillusioned with the fan base and Hasbro's marketing decisions than I have with Hasbro's products..

between the first live action movie, Animated and the games of deception botcon set its made the fanbase an extremely hostile place to post your opinions .. unless yours mirror one of the cliques that is.. I was in the Online fandom when Beast Machines came out.. and when Armada came out.. so its been hostile in the past too.. but this just seems a sustained simmering resentment between different factions .. what was once "Trukk not Munky" is now "GeeWun".. " beast wars sucks is now omg bioncle!".. so nothing really changed it seems it just got more divided..

and between the bowing to Wal-mart, Paramount, Cartoon network and Fun Publications.. Hasbro comes across as well meaning but constantly hobbled by contractual agreements.. I know they care about the collector base.. or we wouldn't get some of the wonderful products we get.. I love the classics products... the first transformer line I've collected since Generation 2 because I wanted too and not out of some compulsion to buy transformers just because I've been buying them for 22 years .. the first movie line was the first transformers line I don't own a complete set of.. Animated was the first transformers line I don't own a single one of. but as soon as Classics came back.. I was right there in the toy aisle to get them..

I just look at it that I'm on vacation from Transformers till classics comes back.. I have faith that those toys will be good, and that I will like them and that they will be fun. Hasbro has gone out of its way to provide the fans with excellent toys, it proves they listened to our myriad and often unfounded complaints during all those previous lines..

I don't know if this will help you make up your mind or not.. But maybe it will.

6. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That sums it up.

7. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    Transformers is Ruined Forever!

8. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Welcome back, first of all.
    Second of all, I was like you, until I found out Hasbro was making good on their promise of giving us Animated's final toys.

Only one door is being closed permanently, but at least on their way out, they're going out with a bang. (Animated)

At least we're getting Universe back, when it's all said and done. There were some major shelfwarmers this last time, and they're willing to revive it yet again? Count that as a blessed event, don't knock it.

Not all of the ROTF toys are back kibble. Leader Class Optimus Prime and Megatron should be proof of that. (In fact, Megatron has less kibble than Prime does, and Prime's Masterpiece material. Go figure.) Though I agree on Devastator, and I can't blame you for not liking them. Whatever floats your boat is what works for you. Don't let anyone else force you to see or feel different.

The "lame" comedy in ROTF is not the fault of Hasbro, or that of Transformers as an entity. It's all the writers, producers, and the director. However, they are caving in for the masses, and it works. It sells. Blame the people in the audience around you, for the stupid humor. Don't take it out on the mythos.

Okay...I'm confused here. You're depressed about the movie (and that's really what's got you down. ROTF closed those doors you mentioned earlier) yet you're going to go see it at least once in the theater at a cost of about $10-15.00 (depending on when and how you go), plus you'll give them another $30.00 of your hard earned money for the Blu-Ray, yet you've no faith in Bay's abilities, gain no happiness out of the characters or story contained within, and that seems sensible to you? No. If you don't like it and don't feel like supporting it, then you do just the opposite of that. You don't do any of it.

In a way...you're your own worst enemy in this situation. It's like having just gotten stitches, you keep pulling them, and then dread going back to the doctor to fix the wound. QUIT MAKING IT WORSE FOR YOURSELF.

The only person who can help you, is you. Figure out which side of the fence you're on and stick with it. No matter how much it might suck. At least you stuck to your guns and you know where you stand and you're not subjecting yourself to self inflicted torture.

But, you want some help? Fine. Here's some....

It's not the end of the world. We're getting the rest of Animated, the entire series will be on DVD at some point for us to cherish and enjoy forever, Universe IS returning, and ROTF is giving us Transfans much needed extra street cred.

All of that is pure positive awesomeness. Hasbro's handling of the situation sucks, but at least they're making good on their promise to get us Arcee and the other Animated figures.

Keep your chin up.

9. AlanGarou

AlanGarou Well-Known Member

No, I loved him too. He managed to be intimidating yet comical, and I've known a lot of authority figures like him. My high school principal was a lot like him, and it both annoyed the slag out of me and amused me to see someone else acting like that.

10. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

It does seem like disagreement and room for different taste has just flown out the window. This strange idea that we must all think alike set in even though Hasbro itself was offering us a lot of different products because they understand that each fan has different likes and dislikes.

I like Robot Heroes but that doesn't mean everyone has to like Robot Heroes. They appeal to me, but if they don't appeal to someone else it's okay because they were not meant to appeal to every last fan who has ever picked up a Transformer any time in their life.

But the current trend seems to be burn the hieratic at the stake who dares to dislike something I like or the hieratic who dares to like something I don't. Heavens forbid you dare these days to state why you just don't like some cartoon, movie, or toy.

Or even worse the person with mixed views on something when everything must be black and white of you totally love something with all of your fan art or you hate it to no end. There seems to be little room for the middle ground of I liked this about it, but I didn't like that about it.

Oh well maybe one of these days we can move beyond attacking each other just because what appeals to fan A doesn't appeal to fan B.

11. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    I too got back into collecting TF's after 20 years but it was the first movie that got me into collecting. But I am the opposite. Glad that Animated is canceled and cannot wait for the movie.

Take a break from buying TF, save your money and spend it all on the next batch of TF stuff or Star Wars, G.I. Joes or whatever.

12. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    ROTF Leader Prime is one of the most obscenely cool Transformers I have seen in years. Buy it immediately; if it doesn't help, give up collecting.

13. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    I'm wondering just how many of us have been noticing this. With over 40,000 members who are fans (remembering that fans is a shortening of fanatic) it's not surprising that anything new and different that comes along gets met with some degree of disdain due to the nature of personal tastes, but it seems like in the last few years it's gotten a lot worse. As a fan of Animated, the sheer number of posts in the Animated forum by people who hate the show and feel the need to post about how much they hate this show they've never seen and the toys they don't buy in multiple threads in the Animated forum, for example, is something I don't think we've ever seen before. It used to be that if one didn't like a show/toyline that was it, people would post a few times in GD or whatever and move on. But now it seems that there's a larger percentage of people who feel the need to constantly post their own opinions in every thread in the most extreme way possible. My memory might be fuzzy, but even Beast Machines didn't have so many blatant hateful posters to it. Complaints, sure, but they were from viewers/toy buyers, not by people who had never seen an episode or bought a toy. There also seems to be a parallel to a focus on EPIC this and EPIC that. A show can't be good, it's either EPIC win or EPIC fail; it's either good enough to proclaim it to all or it's crap.

I've also noticed a lot more "If it's not G1, then it sucks" style posters, it seems like the extremes are replacing or forcing the moderates out. Many seem to grow upset when a show doesn't match their fanfiction style ideas, or if a toy doesn't do something they wanted it to do, as opposed to enjoying the show for what it does do and for what the toy does offer. This is further fueled by so many fans now having a sense of entitlement and when that feeling isn't fulfilled, they broadly announce that Hasbro doesn't love them.

Perhaps this is an inevitable stage of growth in an internet fanboards life cycle, perhaps it's because this is the first time we've been offered more then one real choice of a line to buy from at one time. Perhaps it's because people don't know how to be civil to each other anymore over the internet.

As for Hasbro, I think it's clear that they do appreciate us, but at the same time, they are a business. For me, I think where it became clear that they do care a little about us is that they're trying to get that last wave of Animated figures to the shelves instead of merely proclaiming the series dead and moving it aside to make more room for ROTF figures.

Guess I should give up collecting then. I watched Peaughs video review of it and that's about as much involvement I'll ever have with it.

Now, if you changed that to ROTF Scout Ransack, then I'd agree with you.

14. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    If the latest trailers and MTV preview doesn't restore faith, then maybe it's time to move on.

15. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    It's easy to question and comment on Hasbro's decisions, but there is a lot to be said about the fanbase to be sure.

But are you in it for the fans? Or the product?

16. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    I suspect that things will calm down considerably once the movies are finished and come back more toward the middle. Of course they're not going to go away, but people will gain a bit more perspective in the years afterward, similar to how people have gained perspective on G1, Beast Machines, AEC, etc.

I can wait. I stick to what I like and agree with anyway, regardless of anyone else's opinions, no matter how popular or unpopular, and make my own decisions on what I like or don't like about everything else that comes along. If I didn't, I wouldn't still be a Transformers fan. :D 

The young grasshoppas will too, eventually. ;) 

--Moony

17. SlyTF

SlyTF Banned

your such a bitch!

18. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    I'm going to assume you're trying to be funny.

--Moony

19. Vizer

Vizer Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    If you really don't end up enjoying anything in the immediate future take a break from Transformers. I don't mean that to be taken as an insult. TF isn't going away anytime soon, so pursue other hobbies/interests for awhile and come back to TFdom when things are interesting to you again.

20. Spin-Out

Spin-Out Well-Known Member

Internet tough guys at their finest.