Resident Evil: Why are the movies successful?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Mako Crab, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Because Milla Jovovich and nice action. I wish I would get movies that were about the games. Like the first script from Romero. But I do enjoy the Resident Evil movies for what they are.

2. NSJ23

NSJ23 Not today Chumly, not today.

They are the same type of train-wreck as Bay's transformers movies but the bonus is that they have Milla and pretty awesome action and a continuing (even if it is bad) story.

3. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I never found her hot at all, not even when she was wearing nothing more but straps in 5th element. She ain't much in the bust department... I'll take Angelica Bridges or Musetta Vander instead of her any day. ;) 
    It also didn't help that the director was basically doing the "Hey everyone, look at how hot my wife is, I'll add a nude scene of her in every movie so you can be jealous" thing. I forget which movie was when they even clone Alice so they can do a pan-shot of tons of dead clones of her. (A plot point that was dropped literally 5 minutes into the next movie because they realized they wrote themselves into a corner by having an already undefeatable badass with superpowers now in multiple copies... :D )

• Like Like x 1
  4. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

For those who want to discuss the games, there is a thread for that:
    The Official RESIDENT EVIL thread

Here's a difference though... I like the Transformers movies, but also hate the Resident Evil movies. Therefore, the Resident Evil movies are worse.

The Transformers still show the Transformers as the characters with their own arcs and a great amount of focus on them.
    Resident Evil movies on the other hand are Alice movies and every character from the game is severely sidelined or humiliated just to make Alice look cool even of if it breaks all sorts of logic and continuity.

Super Jill? You mean Jill from RE5? That's older than the movie. It's where the movie got inspiration from. As for Jill in the games? Other than Revelation 1 which occurred before RE5, we haven't seen Jill in the games so we don't really know how she has been then or if she had any additional powers after 5.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh indeed it is super inconsistent. In the third movie I think they say the virus destroyed the ecosystem and dried out the oceans (WUT!?!) but then next movie Umbrella still experiments with viruses to sell to countries. Why would those be still around in a Mad Max world? And then we see that oceans still exist in 5...

• Like Like x 1
  6. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you haven't seen them already, I greatly recommend Phelous' reviews of the movies. As an expert of the games he points out even more problems than the movies' own lack of internal logic, plus he is really funny.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think they were trying to pull a Norman Bates with that guy. The whole split personality & cross dressing thing lines up. But then turns out his sister is still alive & wakes up from her Cryo-sleep (though I guess even that fits, since Norman’s mom turned up alive and well in part 2... until he killed her).

@BB Shockwave I’ll have to check out some of Phelous’ videos. I know I’ve seen his stuff sitting on YouTube, but don’t think I’ve ever watched one.

8. SHINOBI03

Resident Evil from start to finish has always been a love letter to horror B-movies from crazy mad science to hoaky acting and every game contains references to American horror movies either in a monster, character or plot point.

9. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Another thing that helped keep them going was the later entries being released during the height of 3D resurgence. They had excellent 3D conversion better than some of the bigger blockbusters.

And we're all forgetting the vastly underrated Ali Larter.

10. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Movies that are fun and entertaining can be forgiven a multitude of sins.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    That’s true.

And in terms of horror movies, and especially zombie movies, the RE movies offer higher than usual production values, and a lot of action.

And despite the R-rating, the gore level is never super high in these things, which (I think) might help attract more general audiences that want a horror fix, but aren’t into tons of gore.

12. smkspy

Other than two, they were all released in September, which is the very very tail end of the summer season, so hardly any competition. The original was released in late March, but back then the summer season started much later and another was released in late January.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    @smkspy

Location, location, location!

14. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    I've never seen any of the movies in their entirety, but the end battle of Afterlife (the one RedLetterMedia laughed hysterically at) is probably the most out-of-touch thing I've seen in a modern-era blockbuster, at least in terms of choreography and cinematography (although I'd put Leia Poppins up there too, for similar reasons). It feels like an overdone YouTube short film or something. Fine ideas, but not executed well on a technical level. I feel like it probably looked better in the filmmaker's head. I can see how it could have been a cool scene, but it just comes across as goofy. It goes to show that stuff like bad camera placement can ruin fine stunts.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    @TheSoundwave

Part 6 is especially bad in that regard. Extremely choppy camera work, dark lighting, and/or shaky-cam muddled the action & fight scenes to the point that I couldn’t hardly tell what was happening.

• Like Like x 2
  16. SHINOBI03

Which is why it's the worst in the entire series and one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Along with other major issues in the movie but the shaky cam was the worst because it made the movie unwatchable. And when a movie is unwatchable then it's a big fail for the movie.

• Like Like x 1
  17. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Resident Evil Apocalypse was sort of similar to Resident Evil 3 in that regard.

18. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yep. In fact, I counted how many times the camera angle changed for one minute at the 38 minute mark and it was 72 times. That's less than a second per angle change.

• Like Like x 1
  19. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime "Essential" Personnel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I will say I think Ali larter is much more attractive and a better actress imo
    She would have been excellent to center the movies around. Be as claire or Alice.
    I mostly enjoyed these films. If they had been called anything but resident evil, they wouldn't be as hated I think

• Like Like x 2
  20. smkspy

Shit, this thread just makes me want to marathon the movies now lol.

• Like Like x 1