Resident Evil: Why are the movies successful?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Mako Crab, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Tried finding a general RE thread. Couldn’t. So here’s this one.

Anyway, I was thinking about this today.
    - RE fans tend to hate the movies, because they butcher the characters & story bits from the games.

- The movies aren’t exactly friendly towards general audiences either, often making reference to things that happened only in the games. Someone that hadn’t played the games wouldn’t get as much out of the stuff happening in the movies.

Yet the RE movies are one of the most successful horror franchises in history. What’s the deal?? How did this videogame turned movie succeed where all other videogame adaptations have failed?? And how did it succeed despite consistently disappointing fans?! Despite sequel trends, which typically show any franchise bringing in less cash with each sequel, each new movie in the RE series raked in more at the box office than the movie prior. Part 6 made the most out of the entire series!!

How did this horror survive?!

• Like Like x 1
  2. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Two words

Milla Jovovich

Two more words

Sexy outfits

Four more words

Milla Jovovich in 3rd

Seriously though, they're just fun action zombie movies. Game references and characters mean squat to a general audience as they don't even know the references are even being made. Also, the movies have just evolved into their own thing only being dependent on the game for characters and minor plot ideas.

No other reason to wonder "why."

• Like Like x 2
  3. Ricky Spanish

Ricky Spanish Shingo No-Prize

The truth is nobody gives two craps about plots or details, it's all guns, boobs and gore.

• Like Like x 1
  4. smkspy

But I will say the movies do a great job continuing a consistent narrative movie to movie. Other than Halloween 1/2, I'm hard pressed to find a horror franchise that accomplishes this so well.

5. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

For the same reason why the Underworld movies kept getting made. The directors really like showing off their wives.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Scream seemed to be pretty good with the story across multiple movies.

• Like Like x 1
  7. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I hate them since the first one

• Like Like x 1
  8. Whomps

Whomps The World's Okayest User

News Credits:
    They appeal to the lowest common denominator, focusing on an often scantily clad Milla Jovovich

• Like Like x 1
  9. smkspy

Not saying the plots are great or ultra consistent, just that they do well carrying over from one movie to the next. RE1 ends with Milla in the city. RE2 begins where 1 ends. Etc, etc, etc.

Kid, you do realize where you're posting, right? This is not the place to get on a high horse.

• Like Like x 4
  10. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    As an RE fan, I can say that the movies became more palatable as the games started to butcher the story and characters more and more as well.

Yes, in the future, we must all learn to be completely asexual. :rolleyes: 

• Like Like x 4
  11. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Old):
    It made money, that's how it survived.

I loved the first one, liked the second, and it kind of went downhill from there, though Extinction may be the worst of them all. Everything that was set up at the end of Apocalypse was diminished by Extinction's first 5 minutes.

12. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    The movies always drove me crazy with how they would butcher their own stories & characters too. I was all kinds of pumped when part 5 ended with Alice, Wesker & everyone teaming up to save the world. Then part 6 comes along & tosses all that. And what they gave us instead sucked.

• Like Like x 1
  13. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I thought the third and the last ones were the worst. All the others, I enjoyed well enough.

It almost seemed like a Rian Johnson Star Wars situation, where they would continue directly from the previous movie, but throw away everything the previous movie had set up. Except this time it was the same guy in charge of all movies, which made this behavior baffling.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    And barring part 2, they did this every time. It’s like they had no clue what they wanted to do, or where they wanted to go with the story. They would acknowledge the previous movies’ cliffhangers, quickly handwave them, & then spin the story off in a completely different direction.

• Like Like x 2
  15. deathzero23

deathzero23 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Code Veronica is good.
    I haven't really played RE games a lot no finished a single RE game.
    But I had fun blasting zombies while feeling uneasy due to slight scare and pressure.

Call it laughable but in RE4 I only managed to last playing it at the start of the bridgeway with a merchant outside the house.

And in Code Veronica, my last point is the boss fight (aircraft) at the end of 1st disc (Dreamcast) i believe.

16. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

I heard they were super popular in Japan? IICM

17. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I think Code Veronica is in the running for all-time worst of the series. It's hacky and campy like an Ed Wood movie.

I agree with Tracer, they should have stopped with 3. Although 4 is a great game in its own right. But after the terrific first part of RE4, the silliness is off the charts just like Code Veronica. And after 4, Capcom just seemed to lose their way more and more. Even RE3 is just okay, not great.

18. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    I thought the Tyrant was kind of silly in CV. If I remember, he had mace hands.
    The rest of the game wasn't that bad. I think it was one of the better games from the original series. If I remember correctly, CV was meant to be Resident Evil 3 as well.

It wasn't til 7 that they corrected course and even parts of 7 are silly.

I think the games started to suffer when they started to incorporate some of the sillier aspects of the movie. That laser scene with leon in 4 was dumb.

19. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    The guy who was his own sister was the silliest. I called that the first time he was talking to himself in two voices but you couldn't see both of them.

20. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This often makes me wonder too. The movies are stupid, feature an "OC do not steal" Mary Sue who was never in the games, and liberally rewrite, kill off and mix and match characters....
    A lot like the Bayformers movies do, come to think of it. And those have been successfull too financially.
    Unfortunately, as long as the general masses eat up these terrible adaptations, Hollywood will keep making such unfaithful crappy adaptations. See the upcoming Doom movie.

• Like Like x 1