Resident Evil 1: Director's Cut out today on PSN

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Prowl, May 28, 2009.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    2 Was sweet candy. I also like a similar, but sleeper game, Parasite Eve, speaking of overrun cities.

2. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

ooh i always wanted to play that.

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you can score a copy, I recommend it. But just a warning: the fighting resembles Vagrant Story more than RE. It's somewhat turnbased, and you can choose where to aim your gun. Story and atmosphere are sweet though.

4. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like the first Dino Crisis big change when your used to slow ass zombies.

5. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I always though Dino Crisis 2 was better. Both were pretty fun though.

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Remember Broken Helix or something like that. It was the same RE, DC formula, but it was more Cyberpunky. I forgot the name of it.

7. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I already have it on the DS, now if two 0r 3 came out that would be different.

8. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    I had owned the original, before Directors Cut, with the smoking Chris, and showing the dismembered hand when Joseph grabs the gun with hand attached. Plus, I heard, never confirmed, that there was a UZI you could unlock after beating the game. However, I never got a chance to beat the non directors cut, because 1, I had got real far, right back to the point where you go face the snake the second time. Only back in those days, I sucked at the game, I used all the herbs and was on yellow caution. So, I had to start the game over, but low and behold, the game disk stopped reading magically. I believe we went and exchanged it for a new Directors cut, but I can't recall 100% for sure. Now, I play it on my DS a lot, and beat all my times with flying colors, hardly getting attacked.

I am still waiting on that RE2 remake... I love the RE series, and would play them all over again, and again, if I had the time. I think there is only 2 of the games I don't own, that is RE:Gaiden(GBC) and RE:Outbreak File 2.

9. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's one thing about the RE series, they are not forgiving to the oversuse of Ammo and Herbs. I ended up with so much amo at the end of 1 because I was paranoid about running our of Amo so I would just use the knife.

10. Trailbreaker77

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I did this with RE 2 & 4 saving my ammo for the final boss fight and I didn't even need that much. Always a rocket launcher ending.

11. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I remember running around the aircraft carrier fighting that damn baby boss!
    It was so frustrating having to dodge, dodge, dodge, but you could only shoot when your attack bar was full.
    The fights were almost real time except you had to wait for the stupid bar to fill up before you could attack.

Parasite Eve and Vagrant Story so need modern remakes.
    Parasite Eve to make the combat completely real-time and Vagrant Story because consoles can finally do that cool art style justice.

12. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

There is a new Parasite Eve coming, IIRC.

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Art Style from Vagrant and FF_Tactics is also present in Final Fantasy 12, as is the musical composer. Vagrant is one of those games that I would love to see re-released in the PSN, but an update would be sic I tell ya.

14. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

The games are too forgiving if anything, you always get way too much stuff after the first 20 or 30 odd minuites for supplies to be a legitimate concern. I could have armed a small African dictatorship with the stuff I had left at the end of CV and 5.

RE3 is probably the only one i've ever scraped for entire game, thanks to the randomised stuff and Nemesis being a bullet sponge on the occasions that you are forced to fight him. The Mine Layer being the lamest gun ever didn't help either.

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah but I haven't really played through RE4-RE5 (as much as I admire the games, I can't bring myself to control something that feels like it should employ TPS controls, but doesn't), so I dunno how nice they are with Amo. RE2 was a breeze, but RE1 was the first time I ever experienced a game without unlimited amo of some sort, so I was extremely conservative, only to discover at the end that it didn't take THAT much amo. Code Vernoica seemed balanced enough for me. Great game BTW.

16. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

veronica! I'd completely forgotten about that. was that the last one to have actual zombies?

17. Trailbreaker77

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Windy finish RE4 the final boss is not that hard slacker. Code Veronica got it for the PS2 beat that one as well, worst of the RE franchise was Dead Aim.
    Best - Worst for true sequals

1. RE 4
    2. RE 2
    3. RE 1
    4. RE 5
    5. RE 3 (Damn that Nemisis!)

18. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    I beg the differ on the worse one of the RE franchise...RE Survivor, the horrible version of the first person shooter, was the worst. At least Dead Aim, was true to a actual shooter, had a better story, and in my opinion, was a lot more entertaining.

But as far as my best to worst...including all games avail.

1. RE 2(comes in first just by a hair, due to it actually having zombies)
    2. RE 4(close second, as mentioned above)
    3. RE 1(any version from PS to GC)
    4. RE 3
    5. RE Code Veronica
    6. RE 5(only this far down because of being less about zombies)
    7. RE Outbreak
    8. RE Zero
    9. RE Umbrella Chronicles
    10. RE Dead Aim
    11. RE Survivor

I think that is all of them. This doesn't include RE Gaiden or RE Outbreak with File 2, File 2 would pretty much fall under Outbreak in general anyways.

19. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Why no love for RE3? :( 

20. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

RE3 doesn't get as much credit as it deserves. Granted its more linear then the rest of the old style games and has virtually no new story content, but it made the effort to do something different and Nemesis makes the game hella intimidating the first time througth.

CV is just loads more of the first two, but I can forgive it since loads is the operative word.

Zero is ruined by the hideous inventory system, but its solid everywhere else. I'm not a fan of the whole Marcus causing the mansion outbreak retcon, but UC and 5 do allot worse in that department.

RE5 needs to go and die in a fire somewhere. I would have loved it if it was just like RE4 in Africa, but they seem to have forgotten that RE games generally involve other things besides traveling between two points and shooting things. Well, things other then the occasional Dragons Lair minigame.

Zero in real life, CV in terms of story.

Spin-off stuff like UC and the CG movie have zombie stuff that is later in both categorys.