Reselling toys: a question about "value"

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by exomega255, Jul 21, 2010.

1. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Hi,

This thread is not meant to offend anyone, I just have some curious questions...

Now I realize that many toys, as they get older, their value increases due to lower supply and same demand.

For example, you cannot expect to get Classics Optimus Prime for the same price as store value or less.

However, what amuses and interests me, is that widely distributed transformers that are in almost every store worldwide at the moment with many discount opportunities, are sometimes being sold loose for more than what a retailer charges. What gives?

If it is a recent or just-out toy, how can people think that you can buy from a retail (maybe even at discount), play with it, not like it or don't want to keep it, and sell it for more than retail full price?

It's just a curious question as I am seeing increasingly item selling threads that sells what was just released (PCC's, Generations, HftD) for higher-than-store prices when it is no longer MISB.

Or perhaps this entire amusement is beyond what I should care about and I should "mind my own business". I don't know, Just want to see if anyone has opinions on this. Please no "if you don't like it don't buy it" comment, as I just want to hear what the community members think about this.

(for the record, I do understand when people sell rarer or older toys at higher-than-retail prices it is "justified" in a sense via supply and demand)

2. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i agree, especially with pcc so many dissappointed people but they don't want to sell for cost or less, even if the toy is loose
    the only conclusion i can come up with is raised prices to cover handeling and shipping if stated shipping is included.
    or possibly a way to make a few extra bucks from people not living near these brick and mortar stores. and finding it easier to purchase online. :) 
    i don't think this is a rant at all.. :) 

3. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    If somebody really needs it, like someone out of the country, they'll gladly pay that mark up to obtain the figure.

4. Mr.Sci-Fi

Mr.Sci-Fi Bite my shiny Metal (_l_)

News Credits:
    Value is in the eye of the beholder or the what the guy holding the cash is willing to pay. Some people think their stuff is gold and over price it, others under price their stuff. It's been this way since the start. Just wait till you find a deal your happy with or make offers that seem reasonable to you. Wheel and Deal away..

5. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    Because there are plenty of people out there that are incredibly impatient and willing to spend more to GET IT NAO.

I never understood that until Leader Screamer was first shown - I was putting in ridiculous bids on eBay and filing absurdly overpriced preorders online for him. I never won any of those auctions and I ended up getting him from TRU.com for $50 before any preorder was fulfilled.

But my point is that most of these things have someone out there that has the money and the insane desire to get ahold of it ASAP. Or there's someone that's convinced they'll never see it at retail because of their location, or extremely high local "scalper" population, or whatever, and opt for a higher online price to save the frustration of searching for it.

The "hunt" is a big part of the fun for me, which is why I pretty much never buy current retail product online, and certainly not stuff that isn't out yet or just released, with the one exception already mentioned.

6. simplygriff

simplygriff Elitist Dick

News Credits:
    It's still supply and demand. If those new toys aren't available in an area yet or someone is dying to get them and can't find them at retail, sometimes it's worth it to pay a little extra to get them asap. All comes down to what it's worth to you or a buyer.

Ex: I've yet to find the new HftD Scout figures. I'd be willing to pay a little more than say TRU is selling them for by going to Kohl's who supposedly has them. I'm paying to have them sooner than later. Or to guarantee I get them as figures like Legends Class tend to be scarce in my area.
    -G

7. Matt_M

Matt_M Snarkabot

News Credits:
    Supply and demand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you can't find the toy, that's called scarcity, even if it's localized. It doesn't matter if the toy has sold in the tens of thousands, products are worth what people pay for them. Scarcity drives up prices.

8. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    On a sidenote, ebay is kinda an interesting thing. I often find myself getting into a "bidding momentum addiction" where I often bid much higher than what I would reasonably want to pay for the item.

But on the subject of PCC, Generations and HftD, is that right now isn't it largely available to everyone on the planet (save for some). I mean, USA and Canada have it, Aussies have it, Asia have it, I am not quite sure about Europe. It just seems strange to me.

Though I do understand that value is in the eye of the beholder, it would make more sense (to me it seems?) to look at other "trade" threads and see how other people price their items, because that's kind of the "competition" of this market.

Interesting thoughts from everyone that posted though, thanks for the insights and opinions!

9. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard @DiabraveSid

News Credits:
    supply and demand is odd like this, especially with TF's. Item comes out at 100% price, some suppliers sell them for 85-100% of recommended retail price. When they feel they've reached market saturation or need to make space for a sale (or increasingly, because its tuesday and they have nothing better to do) the price can come down to 50% or less.
    After about 2-3 months the presumed price starts to creep back up as the item becomes harder to find.
    Because the worth of an item is subjective, items only cost what it is believed the market will stand. If you pay $15 for a deluxe or $4 for a Marvel comic, then guess what, you'll have to get used to paying $16 for a four issue series (craziness!).
    The problem comes with Hasbro selling the items at vastly different prices to different retailers. The ma and pa store (if they exist still) have less buying power than Wal*mart and while the inital price may be similar, they simply cannot afford to sell the item at a reduced price, and the same can be said for the average eBayer. If I buy an item for $10, do I wanna sell it for $6 a month later? Heck no, especially when I know that in a lot of cases the item will be worth more down the line.

I think I went on to long and I'm not even sure if that makes sense any more, forgive me, I am ill today and prone to wordinessness.

10. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    This happens at Live auctions as well and when two bidders with deep pockets get in the mindset of" No way he is beating me!" the bidding and can go nuts and the final price ends up at a stupid amount of money.

as for resale prices it comes down to people who don't have have retail access to said item and how much they are willing to spend to cure their impatience to get the item.

for the US thats usually served by the stolen Chinese toys sellers! our reviewers seem to love them lol

11. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    What irritates me more are those Asia-based eBay sellers that have like $40+ shipping on a toy that weighs close to 2 lbs or less. And to top it off--it takes 7-21 business days to the U.S.???

If I pay $40 in shipping for something that weighs so little, even overseas, it better be here in a week or less with a price like that.

12. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Yea, it is all about the market as others have stated. Some areas of the country havent seen distribution yet, and there are a significant amount of "I need it now" people out there that are willing to buy it. At the same time, if someone has the item grossly overpriced, then it either won't sell, or they will be sitting on it for a long time. Value is put on a product at both ends, and can often be greatly off. However, you only need to find one person who values something as much as you to make a sale, and thanks to the internet, it is a lot easier to find that person.

What I found strange when I was pricing things is that some loose figures (atleast at the time) were selling for more than their MISB counterparts on average, items like the Target exclusive Shockwave and Sunstorm. Not sure if it was just strange timing when I looked at the price or what.

13. lostnfound

lostnfound Contructiconvict

Tell that to anyone looking for Human Alliance Mudflap. lol

14. War Bearer

War Bearer Banned

I think the live action movie toys' value will increase after the movie trilogy ends. Classics/Universe 2.0/Henkei/Generations value will always be high. Most of the Cybertron toys are high in value too. Energon Decepticons and Ultra, Leader, and Supreme size Autobot toys are high in value.

15. salmonman78

salmonman78 That's MR. Magnus to you all...

I always just tried to get my stuff right from store unless its old stuff. Although with current stuff I have had to order some of it online due to the shelves being downsized and plagued with Mudflap....so sometimes a lil markup is ok if wanted that bad

16. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

they're worth whatever the buyers are willing to pay for them; some times people are willing to pay a bit more to get toys not available locally or for the fact they're dealing with another fan/collector that knows more about the toys than your average retail store clerks/online store CSRs, individual sellers are also more willing to work out a deal about shipping overseas/giving some discounts as long as the buyer is being reasonable.

i think some countries have ridiculous import tax on retail toys that for the those buyers spending 30%-50% extra + shipping on ebay still ended up cheaper than buying them at local toy stores. i was kinda surprised my used mass released movie 1 toys sold closed to or even more than retail last year when i cleared out my unwanted/extras on ebay; the toys that sold closed to msrp were usually to oversea buyers.

i doubt any one will be able to push tuner mudflap for any where near retail price tho, there're still about 30 of them warming pegs at my local TRU, after 2 weeks of bogo 50% promotions.

17. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Worth remembering more toys than not actually DECREASE in value. The OP gave the example of Classics Op - well, that's because Classics are "hot" right now. But it isn't logical - if it were:

(2006) Classics Op = X% above original RRP
    (2002) Armada Op = must surely be higher and "worth more", right...? No....?

No, of course it isn't. Age is actually rarely the primary motivator, it's all down to desirability.

Two years ago I got Henkei Hot Rod MOSC £16 shipped. A year or two before that, the Classics Magnus vs. Skywarp packs were stinking up my local Woolworths at £14.99.

Things change!

As for people being prepared to spend more for a loose toy even though its "out at retail" - bear in mind, as others have said, not everything has a worldwide release on the same day. Not everyone can get to stores so easily etc etc.

18. MetroBub

MetroBub 49ers Fan

That why it is your choice to say no. You say this is not a thread to tick anyone off but in a sense you are.

19. MetroBub

MetroBub 49ers Fan

For anyone who has seen my buckett or who hasnt, My other hobby is sports cards, And i can attest to what Grimlock said... I few of my PC cards i have gotten into those "bidding wars" And the fact of the matter is something will sell for WHATEVER someone is willing to pay for it.
    Exhibit A
    Beckett.com ? Strasburg, Stephen Card News, Reviews and Videos

I know its NOT TF's related BUT it shows just how sad people can get.

Thats a diff. matter. If the seller is charging you $40 for a certain shipping and ships for less than the agreed upon way that needs to be taken up with ebay/pp. BUT on the other side of the coin. Arent you really justifying the price for bidding on said item. Either way you would end up paying the same amount. if the item was $10 with a $40 shipping from overseas.... Then really unless it was a BIN or a BO your bidding against others who are also willing to pay that $40.

20. MetroBub

MetroBub 49ers Fan

If you want a good idea of this. Take any Transformers.... Surf the bay look at how the prices for any said item fluctuate... One week an item NOT sealed will sell for $20... And an item MISB wont even sell for $21 with a B/O mind you....

Found a good example of this. Universe Ironhide. Do a search (No this is not directed at u Matt, But the OP ) ..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Transformers-Un...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa2e5c069

http://cgi.ebay.com/Transformers-Un...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e26782f8

http://cgi.ebay.com/Transformers-Un...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item563dcbbd77